Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crowns in different cultures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crowns in different cultures
    Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 20:35

Louis XIV crown

File size: 93 Kb

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 03:12
Originally posted by Mosquito

Did he also sent crown to Habsburgs?

Ferdinand Habsburg had already been crowned with the Holy Crown that time. After the battle of Mohcs the Holy Crown was in the possession of king John, but it was seized by Ferdinand because Pernyi the leader of the Crown Guard defected to him.  In December Ferdinand was also crowned. In 1529 Pernyi was captured by the ottomans, and the sultan gave the crown to king John. His infant son John II. was also crowned with it, but in 1551 the queen mother gave it to Ferdinand.

The crown which was sent to Poland was only a jewel. In the medieval Hungary the king must be crowned with the Holy Crown, by the archbishop of Esztergom and in the Szkesfehrvr cathedral.

Originally posted by Mosquito

In Poland after death of Jagiellons Habsburgs also tried to get polish crown but failed. Altough they had many supporters and there was a big risk of civil war, everything ended well. Dissapointed archduke - cadidate to throne took 10.000 soldiers and marched on Cracow. In responce chancellor Jan Zamoyski attacked him with the army of similar size, crushed the austrians, imprisoned the archduke and occupied part of Habsburg territory. Finally instead of Habsburg archduke, Poles elected hungarian prince Stephen Bathory.

I heard that Stephen Bathory was/is rather popular in Poland. I have a book "Polish legends and historical stories". In this book he is the main character of some folk stories.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 03:19

The Crown of St. Venceslaus of Bohemia:

It was made by the order of Charles I of Luxemburg (as Holy Roman emperor Charles IV.) It contains pieces of the reliquary of St. Venceslaus and a thorn from Christ "crown".

>>

Edited by Raider
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 14:22

Originally posted by Raider

I heard that Stephen Bathory was/is rather popular in Poland. I have a book "Polish legends and historical stories". In this book he is the main character of some folk stories.

Bathory was a strong and ckever king and knew how to deal with nobles. Came to history as one of the best kings Poland ever had, even if his reign was only 10 years long.

Cyprus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cyprus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 07:11
Czech crown

Edited by Cyprus
Cyprus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cyprus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 07:19
Sorry, once more

crown

orb

sceptre

cloak

cross with reliquary

sword

There is also legend connected with our coronation jewels: it says that every adverse user(it means everyone who is not king - and therefore is not alowed to wear them) would die during next year after puting them on his head.
I hope you will understand it

Edited by Cyprus
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 10:01

Cyprus:

It sounds good. Tell us some example. I am really curious.

Cyprus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cyprus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 13:14
I have one example:
Perhaps you know Reinhard Heydrich - Reichsprotektor of Protektorat Bhmen und Mahren(the remnant of Czechoslovakia occupied by germans during WWII.).He was real head of Czech lands during WWII. - one day in 1941 he came to St Vitus Cathedral where czech Coronation jewels are kept - and he required these jewels - after the guards brought them, Heydrich took the crown and put it on his disgusting head - he knew the legend about our crown - for all that he did it.
After 10 months two czechoslovak parachutist (Kubi and Gabk) killed. Heydrich was the most important German assassinated in occupied countries - and thus these two parachutist fulfilled the legend. Daredevil war criminal was punished
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 03:36

I have never heard this story before. I like it.

And what is the source of this "power". Is it a divine penalty? Is it cursed or it is too holy? (By the way there is not much difference. sacer means both)

Edited by Raider
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 10:19
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Persian Crown:

The 300 years old throne in the background is studded with an array of some 26,733 precious gems - mostly rubies, emeralds and diamonds.

Do you know what it is:

Cyrus, is that the Peacock throne that Nadir Shah captured from India? (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a bit fuzzy on this one) 

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123