Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1453/1492

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1453/1492
    Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 02:40

Originally posted by eaglecap

Originally posted by Reginmund

Just rewatched Ridley Scott's movie 1492 starring Depardieu. In it Columbus explicitly says one of the reasons for finding a western route to India is because the Turks are blocking all Christian vessels.

I read an article that supported this premise but I am not sure if I can find it again but I have yet to try. I cannot remember the exact dates of Mehmed's life or when he died but he was not on peaceful terms with the west. I still say it would take a lot of research to really come to a good theory either way. It could become A&E's first joint book- !!

What do you mean by "the west"? Mehmed II actually made or renewed peace treaties with as many of his neighbours as possible (to isolate Byzantium) upon his accession, including Serbia, Hungary, and Venice. I doubt many merchants would have been too upset about the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople, since it was certainly easier to deal with a single stable authority on the straits, and the Ottomans were the only power capable of being that authority. Venice continued to maintain a trade colony in Istanbul, and remained at peace with the Ottomans until 1463. When war broke out, it had nothing to do with the straits - it was over Bosnia.

As for Mehmed's rule: the twelve-year-old Mehmed II first took the throne in 1444, and ruled until 1446 when his father came out of retirement to deal with an inflationary crisis. Mehmed took the throne again from 1451 until 1481.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 12:12
More importantly, 1453 changed next to nothing in the spice trade since most of the goods the Venetians brought to Europe came from Mameluk-controlled Alexandria and Syria.

Venetians bought a lot from the Ottomans as well. Especially silk. It was traded from Bursa. Basically the land routes from India and especially Iran culminated in Turkey. Sea trade obviously went through the Mamluk lands.

What do you mean by "the west"? Mehmed II actually made or renewed peace treaties with as many of his neighbours as possible (to isolate Byzantium) upon his accession, including Serbia, Hungary, and Venice. I doubt many merchants would have been too upset about the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople, since it was certainly easier to deal with a single stable authority on the straits, and the Ottomans were the only power capable of being that authority. Venice continued to maintain a trade colony in Istanbul, and remained at peace with the Ottomans until 1463. When war broke out, it had nothing to do with the straits - it was over Bosnia.
As for Mehmed's rule: the twelve-year-old Mehmed II first took the throne in 1444, and ruled until 1446 when his father came out of retirement to deal with an inflationary crisis. Mehmed took the throne again from 1451 until 1481.

Let's clarify a few points (not for you, but for others who may be confused by the loads of eaglecrap in the thread). Serbia, Romania, Byzantium are not 'Western' lands in any way. Claiming that is like spitting in their faces, especially for Byzantium.

If we are discussing Med trade, not even Venice and Genoa are Western. Because the main contradiction which was the driving force behind the history of trade in the Med is the contradiction between the lands which had limited or no access to the Med trade (Portugal, England, Netherlands) and the mediterranean countries. Not some arbitrary West/East division from some racists' or religous fundamentalists' imagination. 

As I wrote before Ottomans did everything they could to secure the Med trade. When a single powerful country controls the trade routes and promoted trade, the volume of trade increases. As it did under the Ottomans. 

So the smarter ones will now ask, 'if it so, then why did Spain, a Med country discovered the new routes?' While it is idiotic to claim that Ottoman domination was good or bad for 'the West', this is a fair question to ask. It was great for those in good terms with the Ottomans, at all levels of the supply chain. France benefitted vastly from it because they were Ottoman allies and so did England later. Spain did not benefit from it because they were not in good terms with the Ottomans. That's why their ships were not welcome, and they had to look for new trade routes. Venetians sometimes benefitted from the increasing volume of trade, but when they were at war with the Ottomans who expanded into their lands, they of course did not benefit. Same with Genoa. 

Countries like Portugal and England did not have access to the Med, so they tried to discover alternate routes, and once they found them they tried to stifle the Med trade and replace it with their own trade routes. It was Portugal who tried to cut the old trade routes, not the Ottomans. I'd like to ask the idiots behind these so-called theories why did the Ottomans build navies in the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean and attacked the Portuguese in Hormuz, and all the way to Goa in India? To spread Islam? 

When the Med trade was relatively unimportant Ottomans expanded their control to all of Med. When they managed to restore its importance it led to a coalition of the Med powers against them, who wanted their share. This resulted in the coalition which won in Lepanto in 1571.

Also the Ottomans, following the Middle East statecraft traditions, were free-traders. They were not mercantalists like the Europeans, and they paid for this very heavily in the centuries ahead as they fell behind in development and finally became a half-colony. To such extent that anyone who reads Ottoman economic history and still believes that free-market leads to development is an idiot. Mehmed II was a great ruler (IMO the best Ottoman ruler ever) because he was not a free-trader as others. He nationalised a lot of the land (more than 80% belonged to the Sultan (i.e. the state), IIRC) and the trade. 

Therefore, it is not idiotic to say that Ottoman dominance of the trade routes led to the search of new trade routes for some countries (Spain), but it is idiotic to claim that the Ottomans 'cut the trade routes', or denied passage to 'Christian' ships. Many Ottoman ships were 'Christian' ships... Nay, it is not merely idiotic, it is extremely idiotic. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 19:42

Just rewatched Ridley Scott's movie 1492 starring Depardieu. In it Columbus explicitly says one of the reasons for finding a western route to India is because the Turks are blocking all Christian vessels. Ermm

Sometimes I hate historical based movies because idiots get to make them instead of people that know what they are talking about Confused
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 20:55
Historical films are not history, they are entertainment - as we all understand.  The same as Disney movies.

The screenwriter and the producer couldn't care less about historical accuracy vs some homogenized sixth grade school textbook.  They think 99.999% of their audience won't know the difference, and of course they are quite right.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 21:34
That is obvious pike without me even adding that to my post you could have deduced I am aware of that fact. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't be a bit more historical either. 
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 22:01
That's why I prefer Westerns. You know who the bad guys are and who the good guys are. Throw in some seedy bar scene with spittoons and cheap whiskey then you have a classic in the making. Nobody, unless you're an American Indian, get's offended and if you're lucky you strike it rich at some decrepit goldmine. And this is all portrayed over some fantastic scenery dubbed over by some unknnown Italian orchestra. Molto Bene!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 22:50
Originally posted by Bernard Woolley

Just rewatched Ridley Scott's movie 1492 starring Depardieu. In it Columbus explicitly says one of the reasons for finding a western route to India is because the Turks are blocking all Christian vessels.
I read an article that supported this premise but I am not sure if I can find it again but I have yet to try. I cannot remember the exact dates of Mehmed's life or when he died but he was not on peaceful terms with the west. I still say it would take a lot of research to really come to a good theory either way. It could become A&E's first joint book- !!

<FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT face=Arial size=2>

When I have read the history from the 14th c. to the 15th century I see a lot of conflict between the Ottoman Turks and Hungry, Serbia, and other Balkan states so just from the conflict alone it made trade difficult. I think a lot of what you say is true but you rather simplify it but Byzantine Emperor is probably one of the most qaulified to answer this- where is he??? The Europeans did see the Ottomans as a threat on the most part and yes there was trade between the two, even in times of war.
Bosnia yes, but war is usually not over one issue and people in those areas have long memories, still do. 1446, thanks I just could not remember at the time. I am not as familar with the war between the Turks and Venice over Bosnia since I have less interest after the fall of Byzantium.

I doubt many merchants would have been too upset about the Ottoman
I disagree and the fact that so many Genoese and Venetians volunteered to fight with the Byzantines in 1453 testifies to their concerns. From my research many people in the west did not realize how serious the threat to Constantinople was till it was too late.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 22:58
Originally posted by Seko

That's why I prefer Westerns. You know who the bad guys are and who the good guys are. Throw in some seedy bar scene with spittoons and cheap whiskey then you have a classic in the making. Nobody, unless you're an American Indian, get's offended and if you're lucky you strike it rich at some decrepit goldmine. And this is all portrayed over some fantastic scenery dubbed over by some unknnown Italian orchestra. Molto Bene!

You are funny Seko but many of the text I read, while possibly bias, use that term, even Runciman. I have read his book about 1453 two-three times. But, I think you are right!! It is a term I have picked up from various authors but really Europe was so divided while the Ottoman Empire representant a singe power like the Roman Empire. Maybe it easier to say the west vs. mentioning all the Europeans nations. Sometimes it is refered to the Christian west, is that better?

but getting back to the topic I think many of the earlier points people made are very valid but I still think it would require a much bigger study to really find the correct answer, either way.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 22:59
Bey I'm sorry but I beg to differ on a number of points you mentioned:

Venetians bought a lot from the Ottomans as well. Especially silk. It was traded from Bursa. Basically the land routes from India and especially Iran culminated in Turkey. Sea trade obviously went through the Mamluk lands.
Well although not unimportant the trade with Constantinople was pretty one-sided for Venetians. Basically, the Venetian merchants would embark whatever they could find that would interest Turkish consumers from Venice and Crete and sell it in Constantinople. True enough they sometimes bought some silk from Bursa but most of their trade would happen in Mamluke Syria and Egypt, they'd buy wares with the bullion acquired in Constantinople and bring it back to Europe.

That's only a rough model and on the individual basis things varied but overall from the 14th to the 18th century it is how European trade with the Levant functioned. If it hadn't been for Constantinople's amazing consumption European trade would have been yet more unbalanced and certainly would have been halved.

If we are discussing Med trade, not even Venice and Genoa are Western. Because the main contradiction which was the driving force behind the history of trade in the Med is the contradiction between the lands which had limited or no access to the Med trade (Portugal, England, Netherlands) and the mediterranean countries. Not some arbitrary West/East division from some racists' or religous fundamentalists' imagination.
Hmmm I'm not sure what you mean but I definitely don't agree with your statement about Venice not being Western, let alone Genoa. Besides, it would be wrong to think that no one but the Italians had access to the Mediterranean. French trade with the Turks was alive and well as early as the 15th century (see for instance Jacques Cœur). The Brits sent their ships down to Constantinople as early as 1486 (but quickly stoped doing that).
The problem the non-Italian faced was not technical (going from Antwerp to Alexandria was doable as ealy as the 12th century without too many problems) nor religious or political, it was commercial: it would be expensive to start competing wit the Venetians and the necessary following price drop would make the trade plainly unattrative.

As I wrote before Ottomans did everything they could to secure the Med trade. When a single powerful country controls the trade routes and promoted trade, the volume of trade increases. As it did under the Ottomans.
Well the significance of the Mediterranean trade relative to other trades decreased from 1453 to say 1680. Just look at the importance of the Levant Company in say 1620 (every single member of London's council was from the LC) and fity years later (every council mermber was from the East India Company).

So the smarter ones will now ask, 'if it so, then why did Spain, a Med country discovered the new routes?' While it is idiotic to claim that Ottoman domination was good or bad for 'the West', this is a fair question to ask. It was great for those in good terms with the Ottomans, at all levels of the supply chain. France benefitted vastly from it because they were Ottoman allies and so did England later. Spain did not benefit from it because they were not in good terms with the Ottomans. That's why their ships were not welcome, and they had to look for new trade routes. Venetians sometimes benefitted from the increasing volume of trade, but when they were at war with the Ottomans who expanded into their lands, they of course did not benefit. Same with Genoa.
You make it sound as if the sole purpose of the Discoveries was to find a way towards the spices-producing regions while for most of the peoriod people were looking for fish, gold, slaves and land. It is made particularly clear by the people who financed Columbus and co. The Dorias of Spain for instance were involved in banking, sugar production on the Atlantic islands and slave trade, they could not care less about spices.

Countries like Portugal and England did not have access to the Med, so they tried to discover alternate routes, and once they found them they tried to stifle the Med trade and replace it with their own trade routes. It was Portugal who tried to cut the old trade routes, not the Ottomans. I'd like to ask the idiots behind these so-called theories why did the Ottomans build navies in the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean and attacked the Portuguese in Hormuz, and all the way to Goa in India? To spread Islam?
True for Portugal, but could not be further from truth regarding England which was hevily involved in Mediterranean trade and ready to fight for it (expedition of the Cromwellian navy against the Algerian pirates).

When the Med trade was relatively unimportant Ottomans expanded their control to all of Med. When they managed to restore its importance it led to a coalition of the Med powers against them, who wanted their share. This resulted in the coalition which won in Lepanto in 1571.
Where did you get these ideas? I don't have my database on me but if I remember correctly there was no significant variation in trade volume in the 10 years preceding Lepanto.

Also the Ottomans, following the Middle East statecraft traditions, were free-traders. They were not mercantalists like the Europeans, and they paid for this very heavily in the centuries ahead as they fell behind in development and finally became a half-colony. To such extent that anyone who reads Ottoman economic history and still believes that free-market leads to development is an idiot. Mehmed II was a great ruler (IMO the best Ottoman ruler ever) because he was not a free-trader as others. He nationalised a lot of the land (more than 80% belonged to the Sultan (i.e. the state), IIRC) and the trade.
Never heard of nationalisation of trade... Any one who reads Portuguese, French, or English history and does not get the importance of free trade is an idiot... Great 3/1 your turn.

More importantly, the very successful French trade with the Levant only got mercantilist under the reign of Louis XIV (in 1665 to be precise), that's over 150 years AFTER it started and during a cyclical downturn. Moreover talking about free trade in the Ottoman empire is a good joke. The central state was rarely involved directly, but numerous Ottoman provincial high-ranking civil servants were involved in trade in a fashion not dissimilar to the way the Dutch participated to commerce. The Levant Company's archives are full of English merchants complaining against the Ottoman courts because they had suddenly found that the guy they were sueing was actually the judge's strawman.

But overall, the Ottomans were neither free traders nor mercantilists. They simply did not care. Merchants were poorly regarded, the instutions were not well fitted to traders' needs (high cost for a commercial trial) and they never had the will to catch up with the European comptitors interms of maritime technology or infrastructure (so much so that the Europeans had to build their own port in Smyrna).

Therefore, it is not idiotic to say that Ottoman dominance of the trade routes led to the search of new trade routes for some countries (Spain), but it is idiotic to claim that the Ottomans 'cut the trade routes', or denied passage to 'Christian' ships. Many Ottoman ships were 'Christian' ships... Nay, it is not merely idiotic, it is extremely idiotic. 

Once more, European traders were not allowed to disembark in Alexandria so as to going on further East, they were forced to stay and wait for Muslim (or Muslim-ruled) merchants to bring them the goods and wares of India.
I am a free donkey!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 23:00
Originally posted by es_bih

Just rewatched Ridley Scott's movie 1492 starring Depardieu. In it Columbus explicitly says one of the reasons for finding a western route to India is because the Turks are blocking all Christian vessels. Ermm
Sometimes I hate historical based movies because idiots get to make them instead of people that know what they are talking about Confused

I agree and both Troy and Alexander the Great were terrible!! I did see the horse used in the movie Troy with Brad Pitt in Chanakale, Turkey.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 23:16
Originally posted by es_bih

That is obvious pike without me even adding that to my post you could have deduced I am aware of that fact. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't be a bit more historical either. 

Excuse me.  I did say "as we all understand."  Smile

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 12:20

I agree and both Troy and Alexander the Great were terrible!! I did see the horse used in the movie Troy with Brad Pitt in Chanakale, Turkey.

The movie Troy, even if you didn't like it, was undeniably more historically correct than the Iliad ever was, as the filmmakers chose to leave out the mythological aspects of the story. Wink
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 12:50

The movie Troy, even if you didn't like it, was undeniably more historically correct than the Iliad ever was, as the filmmakers chose to leave out the mythological aspects of the story. Wink
except it looked like it happened in a week or so. IIRC, archeology suggest this was a long series of conflicts over generations. Brad Pit was awful. typical attempt to making us look blond and blued to fit another myth we were lighter back then.

and who says the gods had nothing to do with it, you cant prove itSmile
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 13:08
Well although not unimportant the trade with Constantinople was pretty one-sided for Venetians. Basically, the Venetian merchants would embark whatever they could find that would interest Turkish consumers from Venice and Crete and sell it in Constantinople.
This is true Constantinople being rich and populated and the Westerners being mercantalist and the Turks being free-traders. The trade in Constantinople was quite one-sided after 16th century. However, in the whole med, the gold flow was always from West to East. From Europe to Iran and India.  

True enough they sometimes bought some silk from Bursa but most of their trade would happen in Mamluke Syria and Egypt, they'd buy wares with the bullion acquired in Constantinople and bring it back to Europe.
'They sometimes bought some silk from Bursa'? That's a huge understatement. I will later post the volume of silk trade. It was massive.

That's only a rough model and on the individual basis things varied but overall from the 14th to the 18th century it is how European trade with the Levant functioned. If it hadn't been for Constantinople's amazing consumption European trade would have been yet more unbalanced and certainly would have been halved.
There was no 'amazing consumption' in Constantinople in the 15th century or the early 16th.  

Hmmm I'm not sure what you mean but I definitely don't agree with your statement about Venice not being Western, let alone Genoa.
You should work on your reading comprehension skills. I wrote that in the context of Med trade. These two countries had access to Eastern trade like no other Western state had. They controlled lands in the Levant and Black Sea and had agreements with the local governments in place. It means that their interests were not the same as other culturally Western states, which is why they are not Western in the context of Med trade.

Besides, it would be wrong to think that no one but the Italians had access to the Mediterranean.
I haven't said that. But they were the most connected. 

French trade with the Turks was alive and well as early as the 15th century (see for instance Jacques Cœur). The Brits sent their ships down to Constantinople as early as 1486 (but quickly stoped doing that).
Yes, France is a Med country. It had access, not so much as the Italians, but enough. Also later it was allied to the Ottomans, and then it had a lot of acccess, and special status, and so it really benefitted from the trade. Which I wrote above and you somehow missed.

The problem the non-Italian faced was not technical (going from Antwerp to Alexandria was doable as ealy as the 12th century without too many problems) nor religious or political, it was commercial: it would be expensive to start competing wit the Venetians and the necessary following price drop would make the trade plainly unattrative.
And why did the Italians had those advantages? Because they were closer to the centres of trade (both culturally and geographically). And believe me, if Antwerp became somehow successful in taking the Venetian share in trade, it would suddenly be not so easy to travel from Antwerp to the Levant, as the navies of the Serene Republic will see to it. How do you think the Dutch could keep their trade routes open when under Venetian attack from Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Italy? 

Well the significance of the Mediterranean trade relative to other trades decreased from 1453 to say 1680. Just look at the importance of the Levant Company in say 1620 (every single member of London's council was from the LC) and fity years later (every council mermber was from the East India Company).
Yeah, let's state the obvious. After 1450's alternative trade routes and new lands were discovered. Levant trade of course declined relatively. It would have declined relatively even if the other routes imported a bag of peanuts each, because when they did not exist they did not create any trade.

You make it sound as if the sole purpose of the Discoveries was to find a way towards the spices-producing regions while for most of the peoriod people were looking for fish, gold, slaves and land.
This is either a huge misunderstanding of what I have written or a deliberate attempt to misrepresent. Whatever, first of all, I have not used the word 'spice', you came up with it. Second, what spice comes from Iran (in volume) which I mentioned as an important source of imports into the Med?

It is true that Med in general lacked gold (which was needed to import eastern luxury products). Only the Memluks had it (came from Sudan). That's why the Ottomans (who also had no gold) attacked them in 1516, btw. (As a side note, I have read a respected western historian, who wrote in early 20th century that this move was due to the instinct of the Asiatic race to turn towards East... That's what kind of idiotic views Western history came from, and they are still sadly visible in the eaglecrap disseminated in internet forums). 

Back to the topic, Portuguese found gold in Western Africa and later used it to purchase goods form the East directly. Spain found vast amounts of Gold (also silver) in America and ruined everyone including themselves with it.

True for Portugal, but could not be further from truth regarding England which was hevily involved in Mediterranean trade and ready to fight for it (expedition of the Cromwellian navy against the Algerian pirates).
England was ally of the Ottomans when it was threatened by Spain (late 16th century). So it had special status for trade in the Ottoman lands, which was all of Levant at the time. I don't think England had any trade presence in the Levant before that. And later it was a Great Power and the Ottomans were weak, so it was able to dictate its terms to almost everyone. Anyway, none of this stopped them from trading directly with the Safavids, for instance. They tried to give them cloth in return for silk sometime in the 16th or 17th century, I don't remember exactly. 

Where did you get these ideas? I don't have my database on me but if I remember correctly there was no significant variation in trade volume in the 10 years preceding Lepanto.
They originate from Braudel. I read it from other sources. Med trade did definitely fluctuate in the 16th century. There was a decline, especially due to the Portuguese efforts. And there was a recovery after the Ottomans fought the Portuguese for naval access to the Red Sea and the Hormuz strait.   

Never heard of nationalisation of trade... Any one who reads Portuguese, French, or English history and does not get the importance of free trade is an idiot... Great 3/1 your turn.
England was the first country in the world to industrialise. So of course they benefitted from free trade. As to France and Portugal, they were both spectacular failures in industrialisation, Protectionists such as Prussia or USA fared much better. Only other country in Europe (and the world, give or take a few island states) which successfully industrialised with a free-trade regime that I know of is Belgium, which is the second country to do that after England anyway, and is positively pint-sized. So your market-fundamentalist knee-jerk counter-argument is ridiculous. Sorry.  

Moreover talking about free trade in the Ottoman empire is a good joke. The central state was rarely involved directly, but numerous Ottoman provincial high-ranking civil servants were involved in trade in a fashion not dissimilar to the way the Dutch participated to commerce. The Levant Company's archives are full of English merchants complaining against the Ottoman courts because they had suddenly found that the guy they were sueing was actually the judge's strawman.
Obviously you don't know much about the Ottoman state. What you write relates to the period after the 16th century, to begin with, when the Ottoman Empire was decentralised. What I have written refers to the earlier period, which is the subject of the thread. And at that time the state was more centralised, and it followed the classical Middle Eastern political philosophy: it encouraged imports. This kept the prices down and the people happy, and created a good supply of funds for the state through customs duties. But this led to the decline of local industry. Western countries (smart ones anyway), however, encouraged exports, which, in the long run, resulted in the develpoment of their industry. They may have had to do this, because they had excess population and were poor (Ottomans were richer and had lower population density).  

But overall, the Ottomans were neither free traders nor mercantilists. They simply did not care. Merchants were poorly regarded, the instutions were not well fitted to traders' needs (high cost for a commercial trial) and they never had the will to catch up with the European comptitors interms of maritime technology or infrastructure (so much so that the Europeans had to build their own port in Smyrna).
Complete and utter bullocks. Everything you wrote is wrong for the 15th-16th centuries. 

Ottomans had a good grasp of financial and mercantile policies of the Middle East (dates back from the Sassanids, the Caliphates and the Seljuk Empire) way before, say, the French, had such ideas. So they did care about their imports and exports, and favoured imports.

Merchants were well regarded, as Mehmed II consolidated the Black Sea trade, the trade was conducted mostly by Muslim traders. Mohammed himself was a merchant, btw, maybe that will give you an idea of how the merchants were viewed. I write this because I know you market-fundamentalist types, lacking a materialistic bases for analysis, you make a big deal of 'cultural superiority' of 'Europe' with non-Europeans regarding merchants lowly, leading to their economic weakness etc. 

As to Ottoman inferiority in infrastructure, that is another completely ridiculous claim. Ottomans were at least a century ahead of the likes France in 1500. The French had no toilets, no sewege system, and threw their shit from their windows onto the street, until when, 1800? As to roads Ottomans had the best road system with an extensive caravansarai network (even the word itself does not exist in Western languages) and bridges in Europe by any measure at least until 1600, very likely until much later. As to ports, Imperial Docks in Constantinople dwarfed anything the West had to offer in the 16th century, possibly except Venetian docks. They were capable of re-building the whole navy of the Empire in just one season, as demonstrated after Lepanto. The Venetians were shocked when they saw the new navy that came out of nowhere.

What you wrote about 'Europeans' building their own ports etc makes sense only for much later times (19th century) when the Ottomans were backward, and their economy was dependent on the Great Powers. Which I wrote about already, along with the reasons. The thread however, is mainly about the 15th and 16th centuries, and not the 18th or 19th when no new trade routes were discovered. 

Once more, European traders were not allowed to disembark in Alexandria so as to going on further East, they were forced to stay and wait for Muslim (or Muslim-ruled) merchants to bring them the goods and wares of India.
I know of no such practice. Sources and dates please? I am sure this is not a typical Ottoman practice. Western traders (from friendly lands) had a lot of freedom in the Ottoman Empire. Way too much freedom, in fact. 

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 22-Jan-2009 at 13:12
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 13:23
Ottomans had a good grasp of financial and mercantile policies of the Middle East (dates back from the Sassanids, the Caliphates and the Seljuk Empire) way before, say, the French, had such ideas. So they did care about their imports and exports, and favoured imports.

Indeed, That is what I find most interesting at ottomans, their economical approach.

are there any other countries who favoured imports or this is only for ottoman approach. (Also this is not free trade, Ottomans actively supported import and evaded exports..)

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 14:07
Actually Ottomans also had ideas about trade and economy and finance and whatever from Byzantium in addition to the ideas from Middle Eastern (or Islamic at that point) statecraft tradition. It is wrong to say that 'they did not care'. As to Ottomans favouring imports, it is not like they prevented their own producers like the British did in India. They just encouraged trade, when other states subsidised their production. In the long run it led to Westerners being able to undersell the local industries.     
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 19:47
I think you all have some valid points but I still say such a thesis, either way, would take a lot more research than most of us here are willing to do. It could make a good graduate thesis though.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 05:09
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

This is true Constantinople being rich and populated and the Westerners being mercantalist and the Turks being free-traders. The trade in Constantinople was quite one-sided after 16th century. However, in the whole med, the gold flow was always from West to East. From Europe to Iran and India.

First of all GOLD did not flow East, SILVER did, gold went the other way.

'They sometimes bought some silk from Bursa'? That's a huge understatement. I will later post the volume of silk trade. It was massive.

No you didn't get me, I was saying that Bursa was less important than other markets just consider the importance of Aleppo and later Smyrna. Besides, I maintain that the most important transaction going on in Constantinople between European and Ottoman traders was import of European and later colonial wares. As early as 1504, at the Venetian Senate the ambassador mentions that without the money made in the capital (which also includes the transport of Egyptian wheat to the Golden Horn), the merchants of the Serenissima could not buy silk and other stuff in Syria and Egypt.

There was no 'amazing consumption' in Constantinople in the 15th century or the early 16th. 

Yeah that is why a significant amount of English woolen cloth were exported to Constantinople (30% of total export in the 1620s if memory serves, 4% of cloths consumed in the city were produced in England). That's what I call an amazing level of consumption.

The figures are from the best of my recollection but there ought to be an article by Sevket Pamuk on the subject.

Hmmm I'm not sure what you mean but I definitely don't agree with your statement about Venice not being Western, let alone Genoa.

You should work on your reading comprehension skills. I wrote that in the context of Med trade. These two countries had access to Eastern trade like no other Western state had. They controlled lands in the Levant and Black Sea and had agreements with the local governments in place. It means that their interests were not the same as other culturally Western states, which is why they are not Western in the context of Med trade.

It is like saying that the door is not part of the house...

And why did the Italians had those advantages? Because they were closer to the centres of trade (both culturally and geographically). And believe me, if Antwerp became somehow successful in taking the Venetian share in trade, it would suddenly be not so easy to travel from Antwerp to the Levant, as the navies of the Serene Republic will see to it. How do you think the Dutch could keep their trade routes open when under Venetian attack from Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Italy?

ok a few points:
1. Trading with the Turks was VERY expensive and VERY risky. Without some good connections with the major civil servants in Constantinople which were difficult and once more expensive to create you'd be robbed to you last pair of panties by the local corrupt officials. You couldn't just jump in the first port and trade, you needed the sultan to accept you.
2. So having already a trade relationship and the necessary infrastructures in place (ambassadors, etc.) gave the Italians a major advantage over the new comers. As an example, it took 20 years for the Brits to set up a decent company allowing them to trade regularly with the Ottoman Empire.
3. The Northerners did managed to travel very safely Venetians or not as soon as 1570-80. What do you think the galleys could do against the massive Dutch merchantships? They got their trade route open with big ships and big guns, even the Turks couldn’t much about it, in the 1640s an angry British ambassador had ten ships pointing their guns on Topkape.

Yeah, let's state the obvious. After 1450's alternative trade routes and new lands were discovered. Levant trade of course declined relatively. It would have declined relatively even if the other routes imported a bag of peanuts each, because when they did not exist they did not create any trade.

No, the Med never managed to create the likes of the Atlantic economy nor enjoyed the famous colonial wares that triggered the consumer revolution in the late 1600s. Under the Ottomans' watch the Mediterranean trade has grown nearly irrelevant for the Northern countries after 1670.

This is either a huge misunderstanding of what I have written or a deliberate attempt to misrepresent. Whatever, first of all, I have not used the word 'spice', you came up with it. Second, what spice comes from Iran (in volume) which I mentioned as an important source of imports into the Med?

... ok spice and silk if you prefer
The ELC still imported numerous dyes stuff and drugs which are traditionally counted as spices. For instance here is a list of what the ELC imported into England in 1660.

England was ally of the Ottomans when it was threatened by Spain (late 16th century). So it had special status for trade in the Ottoman lands, which was all of Levant at the time. I don't think England had any trade presence in the Levant before that. And later it was a Great Power and the Ottomans were weak, so it was able to dictate its terms to almost everyone. Anyway, none of this stopped them from trading directly with the Safavids, for instance. They tried to give them cloth in return for silk sometime in the 16th or 17th century, I don't remember exactly.

As it happen I wrote a whole dissertation on the subject a couple of years ago so what the Brits did was 1. on their way to the Med sell stuff to the Portuguese and Spaniards for bullion 2. carry fret for about every one (the Maltese, the Barbaresque, the Italians) 3. bring cheap clothes and expensive products (clocks, books) to Constantinople and sell it for bullion and 4. exchange woolen cloth and metal for silk and other goods.
There was a significant period during which England was not yet the sole ruler of the seas and still traded with the Levant (roughly from 1580 to 1680). Besides, the fact that England was the objective ally of the sultan against Spain doesn't mean much since nearly every one was the enemy of Spain at that time. A permission to trade with the Empire was even granted to ... the subjects of the Pope (from the port of Ancona mostly) and Genoa.

They originate from Braudel. I read it from other sources. Med trade did definitely fluctuate in the 16th century. There was a decline, especially due to the Portuguese efforts. And there was a recovery after the Ottomans fought the Portuguese for naval access to the Red Sea and the Hormuz strait.  

Yeah, just that's the 1498-1515 period, two generations from Lepanto. I think chronology does matter a lot when it comes to trade history. I see no connection between trade fluctuation and the Ottoman long term naval offensive (roughly from 1555 to 1575).

England was the first country in the world to industrialise. So of course they benefitted from free trade. As to France and Portugal, they were both spectacular failures in industrialisation,

... hmm... so free trade can be beneficial.. if you're British? Besides, I'm not sure how you can qualify France as a sectacular industrial failure; granted they did not fare as well as the Brits but they remained at the third position in the continent for the whole 19th century.

Protectionists such as Prussia or USA fared much better. Only other country in Europe (and the world, give or take a few island states) which successfully industrialised with a free-trade regime that I know of is Belgium, which is the second country to do that after England anyway, and is positively pint-sized. So your market-fundamentalist knee-jerk counter-argument is ridiculous. Sorry. 

You do have problems not to be insulting do you?
Moreover.... wait that's not the debate. We can start another thread to talk about the Industrial Revolution.

Obviously you don't know much about the Ottoman state. What you write relates to the period after the 16th century, to begin with, when the Ottoman Empire was decentralised. What I have written refers to the earlier period, which is the subject of the thread. And at that time the state was more centralised, and it followed the classical Middle Eastern political philosophy: it encouraged imports. This kept the prices down and the people happy, and created a good supply of funds for the state through customs duties. But this led to the decline of local industry. Western countries (smart ones anyway), however, encouraged exports, which, in the long run, resulted in the develpoment of their industry. They may have had to do this, because they had excess population and were poor (Ottomans were richer and had lower population density). 

What you discribe for the Ottoman empire is not FREE trade. State involvement (regardless whether it is to boost import or export) is contrary to free trade. Now granted before the 1560s the Ottoman state was leaner, smaller and more effective, but based on the Venetian consuls' reports making business there was not easy, there were de facto fiscal and institutional barriers to trade in place.

Complete and utter bullocks. Everything you wrote is wrong for the 15th-16th centuries.

Where are the important sea-going Turkish traders under Suleyman?

Seems to me all they cared about was on land and mostly agrarian, their fiscal and military power bases were there, they did not care about the merchants, otherwise why so few Ottoman merchants around the Med and why most of them came from the peripheries (Greek islands, Maghrib) and were commonly Christians (cf Armenia traders in Aleppo)?

Merchants were well regarded, as Mehmed II consolidated the Black Sea trade, the trade was conducted mostly by Muslim traders.

You're talking wheat trade, almost all the governments got involved in that it is not relevant.

Mohammed himself was a merchant, btw, maybe that will give you an idea of how the merchants were viewed. I write this because I know you market-fundamentalist types, lacking a materialistic bases for analysis, you make a big deal of 'cultural superiority' of 'Europe' with non-Europeans regarding merchants lowly, leading to their economic weakness etc.

Confused you'd be kind not to take me for an absolute jerk. I know Mohammmed was a merchant.. and so what? Jesus was a carpenter, it does make carpenters specials in Medieval Europe!
I'm not saying anything about the culture of the Ottomans, I am just saying that their commercial institutional framework was crap, which is more significant. So much so that the European had to ask not to be judged by Ottoman courts because they were too expensive, slow and partial. The “avanies” suffered by the merchants were no joke.

As to Ottoman inferiority in infrastructure, that is another completely ridiculous claim. Ottomans were at least a century ahead of the likes France in 1500. The French had no toilets, no sewege system, and threw their shit from their windows onto the street, until when, 1800? As to roads Ottomans had the best road system with an extensive caravansarai network (even the word itself does not exist in Western languages) and bridges in Europe by any measure at least until 1600, very likely until much later. As to ports, Imperial Docks in Constantinople dwarfed anything the West had to offer in the 16th century, possibly except Venetian docks. They were capable of re-building the whole navy of the Empire in just one season, as demonstrated after Lepanto. The Venetians were shocked when they saw the new navy that came out of nowhere.

That's why the European traders had to pay for their own protection on land and at sea, to repay bridges, to build the ports of Alexandrette (Iskanderun) and Smyrna, etc. The Ottomans had basically three operating ports on the Med (Constantinople, Alexandria and Tripoly of Lebanon but barely) and nothing more. I’m glad they managed to rebuild a whole fleet in one year, but they proved utterly incapable of improving much on the design of the ships they had inherited. Regarding the caravanserai network, it is true that it was functioning well, but admittedly it was scarcely used by European merchants so is of little relevance here.

What you wrote about 'Europeans' building their own ports etc makes sense only for much later times (19th century) when the Ottomans were backward, and their economy was dependent on the Great Powers. Which I wrote about already, along with the reasons. The thread however, is mainly about the 15th and 16th centuries, and not the 18th or 19th when no new trade routes were discovered.

No Iskanderun it’s 1600 and Smyrna it’s 1650-60. Not the 19th century.

I know of no such practice. Sources and dates please? I am sure this is not a typical Ottoman practice. Western traders (from friendly lands) had a lot of freedom in the Ottoman Empire. Way too much freedom, in fact.

I was speaking pre-Ottoman times. After 1516, Alexandria loses its significance for traders (except wheat traders), until the rise of the French “caravane maritime” in the 18th century. But the European merchants rarely left their base towns for more than a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

So to sum up, the Ottoman Empire was flawed on a financial, economic and commercial point of view. The costs of trading there were huge, much higher than in most places of the world (getting capitulations and having them renewed was long, painful and took a lot of money). These costs more than anything else explain the inability of other Europeans to break Venice’s monopoly on trade with the Grand Signior for over a century.

Edited by Maharbbal - 23-Jan-2009 at 05:17
I am a free donkey!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 12:27
First of all GOLD did not flow East, SILVER did, gold went the other way.
Well, yes, the West did not have much gold to send East. Ottomans and Memluks had it, as it came from Sudan. But the flow was not only in one direction. 

No you didn't get me, I was saying that Bursa was less important than other markets just consider the importance of Aleppo and later Smyrna.
For Ottoman trade it was the most important location until 1453. Even after 1453 it continued to be important for 100 years. Aleppo was taken in 1516, and along with Bursa was an important hub of silk trade. 

And I did indeed get you, you wrote 'they sometimes bought some silk from Bursa'... Oh really? Bursa was the main hub of silk trade. Yearly income for the Ottoman budget from silk trade in Bursa was 40000 ducats around 1500. That is what, 5% of the value? That is positively huge. In comparison, whole customs income from the port of Antalya, a major port, was 7000 gold ducats or so.  

Yeah that is why a significant amount of English woolen cloth were exported to Constantinople (30% of total export in the 1620s if memory serves, 4% of cloths consumed in the city were produced in England). That's what I call an amazing level of consumption.
You are incredible. I wrote 'no amazing consumption in 15th and early 16th centuries' and you write 'in 1620...' Are you absolutely sure that you know what, for instance, '15th' century refers to?

1. Trading with the Turks was VERY expensive and VERY risky. Without some good connections with the major civil servants in Constantinople which were difficult and once more expensive to create you'd be robbed to you last pair of panties by the local corrupt officials. You couldn't just jump in the first port and trade, you needed the sultan to accept you.
This is just racist stereotyping. Ottomans had no more corruption than Westerners until about 1550s. In fact they had much less corruption.

2. So having already a trade relationship and the necessary infrastructures in place (ambassadors, etc.) gave the Italians a major advantage over the new comers. As an example, it took 20 years for the Brits to set up a decent company allowing them to trade regularly with the Ottoman Empire.

Yes, but this is not because of Ottoman corruption. It is because Italians had special advantages granted to them by the Ottomans (which were revoked during times of war, but re-granted afterwards). Later in the 16th century (that means 1500s) first the French and later the British were given these permissions as well. The Dutch, for instance, were trading with British flags until they got their permissions. The French used their early permissions to weaken Venetian trade. The British did too, but it took them longer.

3. The Northerners did managed to travel very safely Venetians or not as soon as 1570-80. What do you think the galleys could do against the massive Dutch merchantships? They got their trade route open with big ships and big guns, even the Turks couldn’t much about it, in the 1640s an angry British ambassador had ten ships pointing their guns on Topkape.
Pirates in history always used galleys or sloops (with rows), even in the Carribbean. So they would have bagged the Dutch merchantships, don't worry. Also the Dutch could not hope to win so near the Venetian naval bases, big ships or not. As to the British threatening Constantinople, that is not our period. Still, I think that is empty bragging. Great power histories are full of bragging like that. The British failed to force the Dardanelles strait, when they tried in the 19th and again in the 20th centuries, let alone the 17th. 

No, the Med never managed to create the likes of the Atlantic economy nor enjoyed the famous colonial wares that triggered the consumer revolution in the late 1600s. Under the Ottomans' watch the Mediterranean trade has grown nearly irrelevant for the Northern countries after 1670.
? Of course, other trade routes became more important. How can you blame the Ottomans for that? What are they supposed to do, FFS, de-colonise America? Capture South Africa and found a base in Antarctica and patrol the sea between? 

As it happen I wrote a whole dissertation on the subject a couple of years ago
Did you pass?

Besides, the fact that England was the objective ally of the sultan against Spain doesn't mean much since nearly every one was the enemy of Spain at that time. A permission to trade with the Empire was even granted to ... the subjects of the Pope (from the port of Ancona mostly) and Genoa.
Oh, it means a lot. It means that when you fly the English flag, you won't be targeted by the corsairs and Ottomans and will pay reduced customs duties and be able to trade in ports. If you fly Spanish flag, however, you are fair game for all. So no trading.  

... hmm... so free trade can be beneficial.. if you're British? Besides, I'm not sure how you can qualify France as a sectacular industrial failure; granted they did not fare as well as the Brits but they remained at the third position in the continent for the whole 19th century.
Free trade will be beneficial if you are the first industrialised nation and can undersell everyone else. The world markets can carry a few such nations. France had the opportunity to industrialise being so close to the UK and being scientifically advanced (it was even more advanced than England at the time of industrial revolution), but it failed to industrialise and urbanise. France remained mostly a peasant nation. If it industrialised, I believe it would have unified Europe at some point. It came pretty close, even without. Given it's ridiculous population (one tenth of the Ottoman Empire land area, but higher in population! Ten times the population density!). So, spectacular failure, remained a nation of peasants. 

Portugal, well, even you don't disagree. Extreme failure. 

What you discribe for the Ottoman empire is not FREE trade. State involvement (regardless whether it is to boost import or export) is contrary to free trade. Now granted before the 1560s the Ottoman state was leaner, smaller and more effective, but based on the Venetian consuls' reports making business there was not easy, there were de facto fiscal and institutional barriers to trade in place.
I think you are taking some blind bets here, inspired by what Mortaza has written. Ottomans state involvement in trade to 'boost import' was to reduce tariffs. That is free trade. You are also wrong about the Ottoman state before 1560, that it was 'smaller', 'leaner', whatever. What it was was 'more centralised'. Which was not smaller.
Also you have an blind ideological position (market fundamentalism), so you will refuse to accept the fact that the Ottomans were free traders compared to the mercantalist Westerners, because it undermines your dogmas that free trade leads to development. No matter how many sources I bring to you, you will always say, 'that is not real free trade'. Your types are also saying that the current finance crisis is caused by government intervention. If they left the banks alone, the market would have fixed itself, right?

Where are the important sea-going Turkish traders under Suleyman?
Majority of the traders in the Black Sea and also between Egypt and Anatolia were Muslims. 

Seems to me all they cared about was on land and mostly agrarian, their fiscal and military power bases were there, they did not care about the merchants, otherwise why so few Ottoman merchants around the Med and why most of them came from the peripheries (Greek islands, Maghrib) and were commonly Christians (cf Armenia traders in Aleppo)?
Well, maybe you don't know much about the Ottomans, then. Christians later dominated the domestic trade, but it was not in the 15th and 16th centuries.

You're talking wheat trade, almost all the governments got involved in that it is not relevant.
Not just wheat trade, all domestic trade. And in the Ottoman Empire, 'domestic trade' means from Budapest to Basra.  

I'm not saying anything about the culture of the Ottomans, I am just saying that their commercial institutional framework was crap, which is more significant. So much so that the European had to ask not to be judged by Ottoman courts because they were too expensive, slow and partial. The “avanies” suffered by the merchants were no joke.
More racist stereotyping, rather than true knowledge of the historical facts, I am afraid.

Ottoman commercial institutional framework was indeed crap because it was geared towards free trade. It should have been mercantalist. As to the poor 'Europeans' 'having to' ask not to be judged by horrible Ottoman courts, well, today the poor Americans in Iraq also 'have to' ask not to be judged by the corrupt Iraqi courts. It has nothing to do with imperialism, oh no! Never. 'Europeans' never do such things. All they want is free trade...   

In reality, until pretty late, Christians and Jews in the Empire regularly applied to the Muslim courts, in domestic matters, because they had better rights in them. And local landlords were not allowed to punish anyone without a judge's decision to their guilt. And the judges answered directly to the high judge in Constantinople. They this system in place and working in 1400 or so. I am not sure how many centuries that is ahead of France. Two? Three?

That's why the European traders had to pay for their own protection on land and at sea, to repay bridges, to build the ports of Alexandrette (Iskanderun) and Smyrna, etc. The Ottomans had basically three operating ports on the Med (Constantinople, Alexandria and Tripoly of Lebanon but barely) and nothing more.
More bollocks, I am sorry to say. Ottomans had large international trade ports in Antalya and Alanya as well as in Greece. And above all, Dubrovnik, the vassal. Ottoman land trade went there and then to Ancona. Ragusa became filthy rich thanks to that. Not to mention the large ports in the Black Sea, such as Kefe. And this is all before they expanded into the Levant and North Africa.

I’m glad they managed to rebuild a whole fleet in one year, but they proved utterly incapable of improving much on the design of the ships they had inherited.
More racist stereotyping. Ottomans only copied or inherited designs form the superior white race and they were 'incapable of improving much'. In reality Ottomans produced the largest vessels the Med has ever seen up to that date in 1490s. And they had better cannons.
Of course this superiority lasted only until 1550s or so, but it was there and Westerners appreciated it in fully in Jerba and Preveza.

Regarding the caravanserai network, it is true that it was functioning well, but admittedly it was scarcely used by European merchants so is of little relevance here.
So it was functioning well, but was not used by 'Europeans'? What bollocks. Do you think Bursa or Aleppo or Damascus are coastal cities? Please look at a map. Btw, I thought you were arguing above that there were no Ottoman traders? So who was using them? In fact, they were used by 'European' traders as well as by Ottomans and Iranians and whomever, and provided a vastly superior land-based trading network to the contemporary Western ones. And they are extremely relevant, because a lot of the goods which arrived at the ports actually came by land, carried by vast caravans which stayed in caravanserais. 

No Iskanderun it’s 1600 and Smyrna it’s 1650-60. Not the 19th century.
I doubt it. Even if some traders may have built facilities for themselves in the 17th century, that does not mean that Ottoman infrastructure was bad in the 15th and 16th centuries, nor does it mean that the Ottomans did not have other ports. They did. 

I was speaking pre-Ottoman times.
Which betrays either a fundamental failure to understand the question we are discussing, or a lowly attempt to deceive. I think it is the former, because you also keep talking about the 17th century and later. The question, however, for the nth time, is Ottoman expansion in the 15th and 16th centuries.

After 1516, Alexandria loses its significance for traders (except wheat traders), until the rise of the French “caravane maritime” in the 18th century. But the European merchants rarely left their base towns for more than a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
Well, wrong. You ignore Ottoman domestic trade, which was far more than just wheat. Venetians mention 50 ship convoys leaving Istanbul for Alexandria and meeting with 12 military escorts in Gallipoli to protect them. That's a typical convoy- 62 ships. Doesn't seem like Alexandria lost its importance to me. Not to mention that excess budget of Egypt was sent yearly to Constantinople (500000 gold ducats, count the zeros) from there in early 16th century. What was the total budget of England at that time?

So to sum up, the Ottoman Empire was flawed on a financial, economic and commercial point of view.
I agree, they were free-traders. They had no tariffs on silver and gold imports either, which destroyed their economy.  

The costs of trading there were huge, much higher than in most places of the world (getting capitulations and having them renewed was long, painful and took a lot of money).
Wrong.

These costs more than anything else explain the inability of other Europeans to break Venice’s monopoly on trade with the Grand Signior for over a century.
Wrong. Venice already had established trde networks in the region for centuries. Of course it would take time before they lose their primacy. This is a non-question. It is only a mystery for people who worship markets.

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 23-Jan-2009 at 12:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 13:52
Well, 1492 was just one event more -perhaps the more important, but not the only one- in the "Ocean-sea" race among European powers that was started in Portugal.
The starter of everything was Prince Henry the Navigator, and his school of navigation. In that school they not only send expeditions to circumnavigate Africa but also developed better ships (the caravel), nautical technology, maps and created the ranks of the future captains that will travel for Portugal, Spain and Britain! Without Henry, 1492 wouldn't have happened, at least not in Europe.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>