Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Rulers of Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who was Germany’s greatest ruler?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.13%]
3 [6.38%]
2 [4.26%]
1 [2.13%]
1 [2.13%]
3 [6.38%]
26 [55.32%]
5 [10.64%]
5 [10.64%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
The Golden Phallanx View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Rulers of Germany
    Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 12:05

Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Capt. Lubber

I think some of Komnenos' point is that all the good Hitler did, has to be seen in context. I don't think he ever intended to make the economy good, and to make the autobahn for the best of the german people. But it was all in preparation for the upcoming war and ethnic cleansing. It was a few good years for the majority of the german people but at the expense of several millions of jews and the worst war in human history. Even if we were to asume that the holocaust or the war had never been, Hitler would still be seen as a crack-pot dictator, just not as blood-thirsty.

Thanks, Lubber, for explaining it again and very well indeed!
May be this time they understand!
Hope springs eternal!

You must all remember however that Germany had been left in ruin following w.w.1, and le trait de Versailles did not commence an age of blooming love in Germany but of starvation and of german money being used as toilet paper. THe german people were punished for a monarch's war, that in itself is already a crime, but you must all understand the german people needed a strong leader in a time of uncertainty, and Hitler did well in giving the german ppl a sense of pride and of having a "big brother" who watched over them, something no other entity did in that time.

For giving the german people hope, I give him credit, but for the countless murders in political persecution and corrumption, and for the murder of 6 million jews, this man was a criminial beyond comprehension. This man was no great ruler, but a man who brought the greatest potential and efforts of a proud people to shame and ruin. THe german people was capable of so much, and all this capacity was wasted on war oriented plans. I personally believe Hitler's annexation of Austria and the Sudentenland was justified seeing how these were german speaking areas, but that should have been it. No true leader leads his people to massacre, and to a future such as the one experienced following w.w.2 where germans were horribly treated all over the world.

"Even if we were to asume that the holocaust or the war had never been, Hitler would still be seen as a crack-pot dictator, just not as blood-thirsty"-Komnenos

...and I agree, what the dutchman and norwegian say is true, Hitler used the most corrupt ways to gain power. Through political backstabbings and persecution of people who did not side with him, namely those loyal to the Weimar governement, he made for a power-hungry and descriminatory man.

I just hope people see what truly happenned. The german people were tricked into committing such great crimes because they were poor and desperate enough to listen to one man's dark testament. The treaty of versailles began world war 2.

K but back to topic my friends, I sill can't decide between Barborrosa and Bismark. Both united a german nation, barborossa with his Holy Roman Empire and Bismark with the german empire...both brought a people together and were great political masterminds...

I think I'll go with Bismark seeing how he showed to the world that germany would no longer take the sh*t other nations had shown it throughout it's ununified history, (cough cough NAPOLEON) and Barborossa had forced italian speaking areas in his empire which I believe unright.

Not sure tho...

We are all a result of what we have lived. Culture, attitude, perspective. For everything we do, there is a reason. There is no true evil, only the absence of proper communication.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 13:31
Napoleon was good for Germany, whereas Bitchmark was not. and Barbarossa was a nobody, he did create nothing that did nto already exist.
Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 14:08

Originally posted by Temujin

Napoleon was good for Germany, whereas Bitchmark was not. and Barbarossa was a nobody, he did create nothing that did nto already exist.

K seriously dude do more reading, Napoleon? Good for germany? He tried to assimilate the place to french, (he did bring some liberal ideas but he more or less mercantilised the place, not koo) and Bismark united the nation, and Barborossa a nobody? What the jones are you talking about? I'm not going to waste my breath commenting on that, plz check a library or something.

We are all a result of what we have lived. Culture, attitude, perspective. For everything we do, there is a reason. There is no true evil, only the absence of proper communication.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 21:25
Napolean wasn't good for anyone!  Bismark was the "founder" of the current Germany!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 11:32
Bismarck didn't care about uniting Germany. If he really did, he should have been more cooperative in 1848. The unification of 1871 was rather the annexation of other German states by Prussia.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 12:59
Actually, he did not annex anything.  The other German states came willingly to the new country he was trying to form.
Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 17:29

Originally posted by Thegeneral

Napolean wasn't good for anyone!  Bismark was the "founder" of the current Germany!

Well said my friend!!!   

Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 17:37

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Bismarck didn't care about uniting Germany. If he really did, he should have been more cooperative in 1848. The unification of 1871 was rather the annexation of other German states by Prussia.

Bismark dreamed of a unified german empire. In 1848, the Germanic Confederation still existed which was domianted by Austria, and so if there was a unification at this time it would probably have been to the Habsbourg name which wouldn't really have been a unification but anexation. This could explain Bismark not being cooperative at the time. In any case, what the american says is true, the german states came willingly seeing how Prussia could defend them against surrounding powers which had the intention of assimilating them. (cough cough FRANCE)

Bismark was a great man.

ps: Any yes he was a bit two faced with foreign politics (realpolitik) but his policy did lead his nation to relatively peaceful success following 1871 and massive economic growth...

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 15:26

Napoleon was good for Germany,.....

funnily enough, I have to agree with you.
I even thought about including him in the poll, if I hadn't feared to cause a diplomatic incident with the French.
The invading Napoleon was initially welcomed by large sections of the German population, as the bearer of the ideals of the French revolution which had become very popular in a country that was still with one leg in the Middle Ages and suffered under still feudal rulers..
He was good for Germany indeed, getting rid of the "Holy Roman Empire", abolishing all the ecclestical principalities, introducing the "Code Civil" in parts of Germany and so on.
It can also be argued that his temporary rule speeded up the process of national unification in Germany, a process that was later concluded by Bismarck.
He lost his popularity only when he used Germany as a recruiting ground for his grand armies.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 15:28

I can really talk much about that but i try to sum it up:

- after the napoleonic wars there was the idea of creatign a new German empire after the old was finally dissovled by NAPOLEON

- after Revolutionaric events in France the same year, the national convention of Frankfurt in 1848 offered the emperors crown to the king Wilhelm I. of Prussia, btu he denied with the reason that he would not accept a crown through the will of the common people (only through the will fo god - an oldfashioned idea). a minor episode of this was the entry of Prussian troops into Baden which had due to it's close vicinity to France become a source of liberal movements in Germany. there they shot the freedom activist Hecker and the Grandduke fo Baden got almost deposed his throne...

- when Bismarck took over Prussian foreign affairs he had to eclipse Austrian influence in Germany, Austria was the only real rival to Prussias quest for the creation of an Imperial Germany

- however when in 1866 war broke out between Prussia and Austria, almost ALL German minor states sided with Austria, NOT Prussia, except for some smaller neighbours of Prussia like Mecklenburg who were traditional allies of Prussia (and Italy).

- Prussia won the war and by offering a very favourable peace to Austria, Prussias way was open to create a new empire. this alliance would later lead to the entry of Germany into WW1 and to WW1 itself.

- when the Spanish monarch died and the crown of Spain was offered to the Swabian line of the Hohenzollern rulers, Napoleon III demanded a guarantee of Prussia that no Hohenzollern ruler would ever become ruler of Spain, so to encircle France. even though the Hohenzollern did not wanted to becoem rulers of Spain, they did not wnated to give a guarantee for this. Bismarck saw hi hour come, he "modified" the bulletin of teh emperor of France to the ruler to make it read more offensive before it reached the Prussian king. Prussia was then pushed into war with France by Bismarck.

- Bismarck managed to get the support of the minor German coutnries which followed Prussias call to arms and France was ultimately beaten one year later. now Bismarck saw the time come for the creation of Germany. however, preceedign to the election of the German emperor it turned out that the German states would elect Ludwig II of Bavaria to become the German emperor, obviously in fear of Prussian domination, but Bismarck took Alsace-Lorraine in the peace treaty, an act that would create an arch-enemy to Germany for the next 50 years to come. in face of French retaliations for the humilatign peace treaty, the minor German states had vote for Wilhelm I. of Prussia, because only Prussia was able to guarantee the security of teh smaller German states, so Wilhelm became Emperor of Germany.

I've prooven my case now

Edited by Temujin
Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 15:38

- however when in 1866 war broke out between Prussia and Austria, almost ALL German minor states sided with Austria, NOT Prussia, except for some smaller neighbours of Prussia like Mecklenburg who were traditional allies of Prussia (and Italy).

The monarchs of these minor states sided with austria becasue austria was the pretectorate of the germanic confederation. In other words they were nearly forced to. THe true people of these states and greater germany sympothized for Prussia.

K and you've said in a previous comment bismark did nothing for germany, are you now siding with him or not? I dont' see what you've proven with this Plz try and state your argument before you start proving it, 's koo?

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 16:32
Bismarck was the personification of the inevitable unification of the splintered Germany into a Nation state,but and this is a very big but, only under the pre-condition that it would be totally dominated by the Prussia the overwhelming political force in Germany.. One has to understand the regional differences in Germany, past and present, why this condition met with opposition from the smaller southern kingdoms and principalities.
Prussia was quite rightly seen as authoritarian, conservative and militaristic that in 1848 had prevented Germany from becoming a democratic state.
This democratic movement had, as a generation earlier just after the French Revolution, its main supporters in the non-prussian territories of South-West Germany. Bismarck himself fought all his life, first against any liberalisation of German politics and later against the emerging workers' movements.
However, the unification was in terms of the economic and political development of Germany as a whole an absolut necessary and thus progressive development. As a competitor against the other industrialised and colonial powers, mainly England and France, Germany could only function as a unity.
So, Bismarck's role was an ambigous one, positive for the unification of Germany, negative in bringing the whole of Germany under Prussian domination.

Edited by Komnenos
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 16:31

Originally posted by The Golden Phallanx

THe true people of these states and greater germany sympothized for Prussia.

says who?

K and you've said in a previous comment bismark did nothing for germany, are you now siding with him or not? I dont' see what you've proven with this Plz try and state your argument before you start proving it, 's koo?

you fail to see that this thread is about Germany and not Prussia...

However, the unification was in terms of the economic and political development of Germany as a whole an absolut necessary and thus progressive development. As a competitor against the other industrialised and colonial powers, mainly England and France, Germany could only function as a unity.

what necessity? why is Switzerland the richest country in the world? because it annexed it's neighbours into a greater empire under the umbrella of nationalism? this shows again hwo today people get misinformed by pro-Prussian written history books, fortunately our teachers were not...there'S NO necessity nor reason for a unified Germany...and anyways, as long as Austria, Luxemburg and Liechtenstein are independent, there's no unified Germany at all anyways.

Edited by Temujin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:14

what necessity? why is Switzerland the richest country in the world? because it annexed it's neighbours into a greater empire under the umbrella of nationalism? this shows again hwo today people get misinformed by pro-Prussian written history books, fortunately our teachers were not...there'S NO necessity nor reason for a unified Germany

I dont think, you can compare the development of Switzerland and Germany.
Switzerland found its niche as a low-scale industrialized, finance service based country that could prosper under centuries of relatively stable political conditions.

Germany in the mid 19th century was a emerging industrialized nation whose growth was stilted by the presence of splintered political administration, various taxation systems and internal borders.
There are similarities with the European Union here:
The realty of a common economic market in Germany in mid 19th century made these internal restriction obsolete and the political unification just mirrored the economic, a process that repeated it self in Europe over the last four decades.
As in most other countries, the development of capitalism made the nation state necessary, and the nation state then allowed the full expansion of capitalism.
Im not arguing for or against these development, or for or against Bismarck and Prussia, Im just saying that the unification of Germany was a historical inevitability based on economic realities.

But now to the far more interesting point in your post:

...and anyways, as long as Austria, Luxemburg and Liechtenstein are independent, there's no unified Germany at all anyways.

Whats that then? Pan-Germanism rearing its ugly head? I just hope youre joking.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:30
who's the guy always crying unficiation here...? I'm just stating facts, the only things that drove a wedge between Austria and Germany were Bismarck and the Versaille treaty, Luxemburg and Liechtenstein are just independend due to their status as monarchies.
Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 19:08

THe true people of these states and greater germany sympothized for Prussia.

says who?

Says every german history professor. Go ask one.

you fail to see that this thread is about Germany and not Prussia...

How did I suggest in any way that this thread is only about Prussia and not Germany in that comment? Stop making supportless assumptions and start reading what I actually say.

what necessity? why is Switzerland the richest country in the world? because it annexed it's neighbours into a greater empire under the umbrella of nationalism? this shows again hwo today people get misinformed by pro-Prussian written history books, fortunately our teachers were not...there'S NO necessity nor reason for a unified Germany...and anyways, as long as Austria, Luxemburg and Liechtenstein are independent, there's no unified Germany at all anyways.

SWITZERLAND IS NOT THE RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. The purchasing power of switzerland is roughly 200 billion american dollars, and that of germany is roughly 2.4 Trillion dollars. You have absolutely no sense where the world economy is at do you? Even if you're talking of per capita income which you did not indicate, the swiss are not richer than any german, brit or scandinavian. Now how can u possibly say there is no reason for unification? What in the world is your logic behind that? Do u have any idea what the german people went through while not unified?

All of eastern France used to be german lands, much of poland, the check republik, and even as far as russia were all german at one point as well, and when I say german I mean the majority of the inhabitants were german speaking. But through being not unified other nations forced the german people off their land and into already crowded places. The seperated weak german states were extremely easy land pickings, and as land targets they served. Unification brings strength of numbers. THe german unification was the most essential thing ever to come by that country, had they not unified the german language might not even exist today, and it's ppl without rights dominated by neighbour imperialistic powers who would have conquerred the tiny states long since. That or mercantilised them like colonies.

"there'S NO necessity nor reason for a unified Germany" THat is the most absurd comment I've heard in a long time. Do more reading.

Originally posted by temujin

because it annexed it's neighbours into a greater empire under the umbrella of nationalism?
Prussia did not annexe it's neighbours, it unifed it's fellow germans into a nation that would withstand foreign tyranny. Now I'm not justifying war in any way, but I am defending the unification of germany.

Edited by The Golden Phallanx
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 02:13
Bismark got a powerful name for Germany and united the populations
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 17:57

says who?

ect blabla

in case you haven't noticed until this point...I f**king AM german, so don't tell me what Germans think about Prussia or not or how Prussia is Germany or not, you know nothing at all about this topic so spare your breath, your talking utter nonsense galore....

Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 18:15

dude! I am german too du Schweinehund! Erzhl mir nicht, was deutsche gischichte ist, ich kenne die Geschichte shon! Und mein Vater ist ein deutscher Geschichtsprofessor! Jetzt halte deinen alle verdammten Mund, bevor du meine Nationalitt beleidigst!!!!!!!

And speaking of which, you didn't answer anything I have written so go run away in defeat because you can't prove German unification was unjustified!!!

Edited by The Golden Phallanx
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 18:19

says who?

ect blabla

in case you haven't noticed until this point...I f**king AM german, so don't tell me what Germans think about Prussia or not or how Prussia is Germany or not, you know nothing at all about this topic so spare your breath, your talking utter nonsense galore....

I think I might apologise at this point for the rather emotional outburst of my fellow country man.
If I'm not mistaken, he comes from a part of Germany that until 1871 was an independent, but also rather insignificant little kingdom in the South-West. They fought 1866 on the side of Austria against Prussia, but in 1871 got swallowed up in the newly found German Empire under Prussian domination. They lingered on till 1918, when the last king had to abdicate, and then disappeared from history.
The German unification of 1871 is still a rather touchy subject in some parts of Germany, and a kind of North-South divide between the Catholic Bavarian/Swabian South and the Protestant Prussian North still exists.
Many Southerners, like young Temujin, never forgave the Prussians for their take-over and thus can't share your enthusiasm for the great Otto.
You have to understand and forgive him.

Edited by Komnenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>