Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The legal status of woman in Iran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The legal status of woman in Iran
    Posted: 07-Jan-2009 at 15:12
Hello, i have several questions regarding the legal and social status of woman in Iran:

has there been a significant change in the status of woman since the death Ruhollah Khomeini?
what has the current regime done to improve the social status of woman?
 is the sharia still playing an important role in Iranian justice system?
and finally, how is the status of woman in Iran compare to its neighbours?
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2009 at 07:55
This is a very good topic. I would also like to learn more about statis of women in Iran is well. From what i gather, tangible progress has been achieved in the social, economic and political status of women. Female labor and school enrollment has increased. There has been a rise in women's awareness of their rights, there are now laws against domestic violence, however, i have no idea what the status is on the discrimination of women, though Iran was a participant at the Convention on Elimination Against Women(CEDAW). I'd like to learn more myself, especially since this is just stuff that i have read.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
zeeshan_2011 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote zeeshan_2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2010 at 22:41
in Iran woman has a big status in every field of life.
Starsucks View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Starsucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2011 at 14:43

From what I understand, the status of women in Iran is just plagued with contradictions: on one hand, there's obviously those legal inequalities we hear about in the news all the time (different punishments based on whether the victim was male or female, etc.), but on the other hand, Persian women are among the most educated in the region, and one of the more recent VPs of the Islamic Republic was female (I believe it was under Khatami's presidency). The picture is quite fuzzy indeed.

Post Reply Post Reply