Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amerindian Heritage of United States and Canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amerindian Heritage of United States and Canada
    Posted: 29-Jan-2009 at 16:50
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, perhaps we are talking just semantic and misundertanding.
I bet somewhere in the U.S., the descendents of the fur trade hunters and theirs native wives (perhaps a bit diluted by now), still wear those native jackets, racoon hats, snow rackets, track steps of animals on the ground and ride canoes down the rivers, the same way Amerindians did a thousand years ago.
That's the heritage we are talking about, I believe.
I think Americans who do outdoor activities like these do think back to those times. They have a higher respect for those that didn't have, but inspired the advanced tools of today. You will usually hear these atheletes say, they don't know how those of the past were able to do what they did without the more advanced take on the past tools. So there is definitly respect there.

Just to go alittle on what you said before about the land, and being apart of it. I know my heritage is European, but I do see myself as American, and I'm proud of that. I don't think those before my ancestors arrived as inferior, and I don't think of those on the American Continents are inferior to those Americans in the US. Despite our past, I think we are moving into a age with more cooperation between all the countries in the Americas.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Well, perhaps we are talking just semantic and misundertanding.
I bet somewhere in the U.S., the descendents of the fur trade hunters and theirs native wives (perhaps a bit diluted by now), still wear those native jackets, racoon hats, snow rackets, track steps of animals on the ground and ride canoes down the rivers, the same way Amerindians did a thousand years ago.

That's the heritage we are talking about, I believe.
I think Americans who do outdoor activities like these do think back to those times. They have a higher respect for those that didn't have, but inspired the advanced tools of today. You will usually hear these atheletes say, they don't know how those of the past were able to do what they did without the more advanced take on the past tools. So there is definitly respect there.

Just to go alittle on what you said before about the land, and being apart of it. I know my heritage is European, but I do see myself as American, and I'm proud of that. I don't think those before my ancestors arrived as inferior, and I don't think of those on the American Continents are inferior to those Americans in the US. Despite our past, I think we are moving into a age with more cooperation between all the countries in the Americas.

Yes, I agree and being an outdoors person I think gives me more respect for the native cultures. I once went to Bandelier National Park in New Mexico to backpack and I came across a circle of rocks which was a sacred area for Native Americans to worship. I had been told about this before and the Native American who told me about it said the usual questions from white people was, is that like a cathedral to you? He sounded irritated that someone would ask such a question but I just listened to him. Later, when I found the stone circle I realized it was more like the Holy of Holies was the the ancient Hebrews and the surrounding nature was the cathedral - maybe I am wrong. Look up Bandelier

Here is a National Park link and yes it is an archaeological area
http://www.nps.gov/band

While reading Cutlure and contact by Charles Di Peso I came across some of his theories. He lists several civilizations prior to the Aztec such as the Toltec and some others. (too lazy to open the book)
He had a theory about the Meso American cultures sending in traders called pochteca who doubled as spies for land to conquer. He believes that the ruins at Casa Grandes were built under the dominance of these Meso American traders and not by the local natives. Although, the book brings up other scholars who have a different opinion. After the Aztecs Empire arose the areas northern Mexico, in what he called Gran Chichimeca, were cut off and Casa Grande was destroyed by a rebelion by the local tribes; who had been dominated by these Meso American cultures.

a section from Di Peso and his theory or a bit-(had to open the book now)

"Disguised merchants spied out the Gran Chichimeca and laid the groundwork for later intrusion by their brethern who founded a port of trade at Casa Grandes. Upheaval cut this port of trade off from its core, and the native populaton rose in revolt and laid waste to it.

De Peso, Charles. 33Cutlure and contact. Amerind Foundation pub. Dragoon, Arizona, 1993-page 33

Edited by eaglecap - 29-Jan-2009 at 20:40
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 06:09
Originally posted by eaglecap

While reading Cutlure and contact by Charles Di Peso I came across some of his theories. He lists several civilizations prior to the Aztec such as the Toltec and some others. (too lazy to open the book)

He had a theory about the Meso American cultures sending in traders called pochteca who doubled as spies for land to conquer.

Di Peso was hardly the first to note this particular aspect of the pochtecatl ... Prescott describes this aspect in The Conquest of Mexico - published in 1847. The academic view of the pochtecatl hasn't changed a whole lot since then.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 13:27

Very good point!!. Outdoors people usually know and identify with Amerindians a lot more that people of the cities.

That has an explanation. Most natives americans of the past were nomadic or farm people, and most cities were founded by Europeans. The European brought its world in the form of a city, and the indigenous people that arrived there made it as "immigrants" to the cities.
As a result, with the exception of Mexico city, Cuzco and some other few cities, it is impossible to see the impact on the Indians there at all, and we have the illusion Europeans had created the New World from scratch.

Today most people of the Americas live in the cities by a large margin, so that idea remain.

It is not that Amerindians lacked cities. They made many cities, some with hundred of thousand people, but they were far away from each other, and very few of them were recycled as cities by the Europeans. Even more, most of the native groups of the Americas lacked cities, and this organization was more an exception than the rule. The urban life of today -if not unknown before- it was mainly introduced by the European.

Interesting though. Perhaps people should make more outdoor activities to reconect to its land and heritage.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 16:07
It seems there has been a trend in going into the outdoors lately. Some survivalist shows have come out, and in them they often make reference to the Natives of the area. Infact, before going into some areas, they will speak to local tribes and have talked about their histories and how they compare today. One Survivalist I like is Les Stroud from survivorman. He's a Canadian and his show was successful here. He always seemed to show a appreciation for Natives and their skills.

I doubt Americans as a whole will accept Natives as a cultural link. The only Americans I really see obsessive over their heritage are Irish-Americans. Believe me, I related to a few. But we don't forget about Natives, they are represented with names everywhere, they are on seals of schools, schools even named after them. While we are European based culture, and Americans don't look at it that way, they see it as American. So they don't even know about the history thats glaring right in their face. I bet 1 out of 10 Americans will actually know the Dutch started the great city of New York and that it was first called New Amsterdam. And I might be just generous with that figure, because people often seem surprised when I mention that. So it's not just Native history, but also our own European. Infact, with all the interesting names of places, I bet it gives more attention to explore the names and read Native History then European.
This is ofcourse my own expierence, I like to mention this everytime I make these kinds of comments.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 16:57
Originally posted by edgewaters

He had a theory about the Meso American cultures sending in traders called pochteca who doubled as spies for land to conquer.

Di Peso was hardly the first to note this particular aspect of the pochtecatl ... Prescott describes this aspect in The Conquest of Mexico - published in 1847. The academic view of the pochtecatl hasn't changed a whole lot since then.

Thanks edgewater I will check out this source as well. I am still learning since my grad studies were ancient Greece and Pre-Greek civilization.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 17:24
Pinguiun
That has an explanation. Most natives americans of the past were nomadic or farm people, and most cities were founded by Europeans.

This is the case for North America but less for Central and South America, perhaps another reason why America has a more European based culture and Latin America a more Amerindian influenced one. There were many great civilisations and cities built by Aztecs, Mayans, Incans some even more advanced than Europeans of the same era.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 17:33
Originally posted by Bulldog

Pinguiun
That has an explanation. Most natives americans of the past were
nomadic or farm people, and most cities were founded by Europeans.
This is the case for North America but less for Central and South America, perhaps another reason why America has a more European based culture and Latin America a more Amerindian influenced one. There were many great civilisations and cities built by Aztecs, Mayans, Incans some even more advanced than Europeans of the same era.

I think your are righ on the most part but the people we call the mound builders had large urban centers but sadly that group dispeared probably due to enviromental conditions. By disapeared I mean they most likely migrated to other regions. I have read, somewhere, that some expert believe the Mound builders were connected to the Mayan civilization after its decline.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 18:24

Thanks edgewater I will check out this source as well. I am still learning since my grad studies were ancient Greece and Pre-Greek civilization.

OK. Be careful with Prescott though. I don't really encourage people to gain an understanding of Mesoamerican topics from him. Mesoamerican studies have advanced quite a bit since 1847 in many respects! I only brought him up to show that scholars have been familiar with the espionage activities of the pochtecatl for a very long time now. 

To get a more current (and greatly expanded) view of the pochtecatl, I might recommend this instead:

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/HistoryWorld/LatinAmerican/?view=usa&ci=9780195330830

Turns out you can view some of the section on pochtecah here, unfortunately an important page (the one that actually discusses the nature of their trading activities) gets omitted but still:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ooTup42hE5UC&pg=PA346&lpg=PA346&dq=manuel+aguilar-moreno+pochtecah&source=bl&ots=ieZjcjYeUt&sig=hzuvOXSZdbDAEvyraejT0_NnXzE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Edited by edgewaters - 30-Jan-2009 at 18:30
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 18:40

...This is the case for North America but less for Central and South America, perhaps another reason why America has a more European based culture and Latin America a more Amerindian influenced one. There were many great civilisations and cities built by Aztecs, Mayans, Incans some even more advanced than Europeans of the same era.

Latin America culture is Iberian and Latin, with local traditions adopted from Amerindians. However, the culture is more similar to the one you see in Italy than the Native American culture. The difference with the U.S. is simply in the way we see the Ancient First People.

It is true we had here the greatest civilizations of the Americas, like the Mayas, Incas, Aztecs and other, but in North America there is Kahokia and the Anazasi, that were great cultures too. On the other hand, Brazil, who lacks any advanced culture whatsoever, identify more with Natives than the U.S.

Perhaps the main difference is that the U.S. see itself as a branch of Europe, while Latin America see itself as a different land, with its own personaly, and a brand New People. We have the myth of "La raza" after all, that the U.S. doesn't have

Edited by pinguin - 30-Jan-2009 at 18:42
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 18:57
The US sees itself as it's own culture. I've been trying to show this through out the thread. I never heard a American compare themselves with another people, they always talk about how great our country is. They'll often say they are proud of their heritage, but their Patriotism for the US always seems stronger. Especially now with Obama in office, more people identify themselves with being American first instead of African or European, etc...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 19:37
But you always talk that the Americans see themselves as part of Europe, or an European culture. Perhaps the best of all European countries, but in Europe, anyways. I don't get it now.

And of course, things are changing with Obama. But he doesn't identify with Amerindians either, so, I wonder if that change will affect the image of America as a product of immigrants only.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 20:38
Originally posted by edgewaters

OK. Be careful with Prescott though. I don't really encourage people to gain an understanding of Mesoamerican topics from him. Mesoamerican studies have advanced quite a bit since 1847 in many respects! I only brought him up to show that scholars have been familiar with the espionage activities of the pochtecatl for a very long time now. 

To get a more current (and greatly expanded) view of the pochtecatl, I might recommend this instead:

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/HistoryWorld/LatinAmerican/?view=usa&ci=9780195330830

Turns out you can view some of the section on pochtecah here, unfortunately an important page (the one that actually discusses the nature of their trading activities) gets omitted but still:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ooTup42hE5UC&pg=PA346&lpg=PA346&dq=manuel+aguilar-moreno+pochtecah&source=bl&ots=ieZjcjYeUt&sig=hzuvOXSZdbDAEvyraejT0_NnXzE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

I think the Amerind foundation will help guide me- I am going to their next lecture which I think is on the Hohokham culture. The speakers really know this subject, they are experts on it. I do take it as their theory and I like to explore other theories.
I have a pottery shard that is probably hohokham- there is still some paint on it. I also found a hide scrapper or cutting tool. The desert here is littered with artifacts if one knows what to look for.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 20:42
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

The US sees itself as it's own culture. I've been trying to show this through out the thread. I never heard a American compare themselves with another people, they always talk about how great our country is. They'll often say they are proud of their heritage, but their Patriotism for the US always seems stronger. Especially now with Obama in office, more people identify themselves with being American first instead of African or European, etc...

Funny, that is true in my own life. I use to call myself a Greek American since that is my largest ethnic side but now I just say I am an American and proud of it. When I see a Mexican, Black or any other group I see them just as fellow Americans, although I am not color blind. They are Americans first and foremost and this type of outlook will only help to reunite us more as one people.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 20:43

But you always talk that the Americans see themselves as part of Europe, or an European culture. Perhaps the best of all European countries, but in Europe, anyways. I don't get it now.

And of course, things are changing with Obama. But he doesn't identify with Amerindians either, so, I wonder if that change will affect the image of America as a product of immigrants only.

Time will tell!!
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2009 at 03:04

I've been saying our culture is European based, I don't believe I said Americans consider themselves European though. I thought I made it clear that Americans saw their culture as their own throughout the thread. Key word though, thought.Tongue I'm not do good at expressing my thoughts I guess.

I'm afraid Americans will never relate to Natives the way your thinking.
On immigration, it's no different then the past. Chinese used to get discriminated, now they don't as immigrants, Irish were discriminated against, the largest hanging in the US was done to Italians(my surname is Italian) and they were seen as lazy evil Latin lovers who came to steal white women. Now, Italians are viewed as white. Why are they viewed as white? I think it has more to do with culture, they assimlilated. They added to the culture too, hispanics have, and so have Natives. But they became American, and it's the same story over and over again. Discrimination, then a generation or two and they are Americanized.
Today I think Mexicans are discriminated against. And it's even done by other Hispanics. But it's no where near as serious as the past. Hispanics are accepted here, the biggest issue is just language for Americans.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2009 at 03:28
Pinguin
Latin America culture is Iberian and Latin, with local traditions adopted from Amerindians. However, the culture is more similar to the one you see in Italy than the Native American culture. The difference with the U.S. is simply in the way we see the Ancient First People.

There are regions in Latin America were the Amerindian influence is very strong and other where it isn't, I think its correct to say the region is diverse in itself.

However, in general we can see major differences from the average American culture in many regions of Latin America which go as deep as religion. For example, there is syncretism, the "Virgen de Guadalupe" belief in Mexico is thought to be the worship of the Aztec mother goddess. The Mexican flag depicts the Mexica legend, even Mexico city was actually an Aztec city. There are still speakers alive in their millions who know the Aztec and Mayan languages.

There is a much stronger influence and there are still large Amerindian and mixed communities today. This is why American society is more European based in my opinion.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2009 at 03:29
To SearchANDDestroy:

Yes, I know many Americans, particularly the ones that looks the Old World for identity, don't want to remember Indians as you say, nor they appreciate theirs contribution to American culture. At least some Americans really appreciate theirs contribution and heritage, and that's enough for me.

-Curious. We in Latin America call ourselves "Americans" as well- :) :)

Well, Hispanics won't ever see themselves as Anglosaxons. That's something I can tell you for sure.

With respect to language, too bad. Hispanics can learn English, and they are mostly billingual in the U.S., but they hardly will lost a language as Spanish. A language that has more pedigree that even English itself!! There is no sense they lost it. Unlike anglosaxons, Hispanics in the U.S. are not blind to the fact 600 million people south of the border, with a middle income and a standard of living growing faster that the developed world, makes a huge market. Besides, many Latin American business people and artists have theirs operation base in the U.S., particularly in Miami and Atlanta, from where they reach all the Iberian world, to people in the Americas and Europe. That's something the english speaking people of the U.S. don't have idea. Even myself, I see daily my Latin American news comming from Atlanta... In Spanish!!

Edited by pinguin - 31-Jan-2009 at 03:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2009 at 03:50

There are regions in Latin America were the Amerindian influence is very strong and other where it isn't, I think its correct to say the region is diverse in itself.

However, in general we can see major differences from the average American culture in many regions of Latin America which go as deep as religion. For example, there is syncretism, the "Virgen de Guadalupe" belief in Mexico is thought to be the worship of the Aztec mother goddess. The Mexican flag depicts the Mexica legend, even Mexico city was actually an Aztec city. There are still speakers alive in their millions who know the Aztec and Mayan languages.

There is a much stronger influence and there are still large Amerindian and mixed communities today. This is why American society is more European based in my opinion.

That's a very complex statement, because it is hard to define where European culture stops and where Indian culture starts. One fact is for sure. Every single country in the Americas has received Amerindian influences. I saw them in Canada. I know they exist in places like Trinidad and Tobago and even Haiti. And I have seen in every single Latin American country. I have studied the U.S. also, and I know the influence also exist, but is not clearly seen today by people as it should be. However, if you consider that there are 4 millions official tribal Amerindians in the U.S., and that the 6% of the White population genes are Amerindians, it is clear the percentage of blood is not trivial at all. And the influence in American culture can be seen as well. But you Americans should discover those things yourselves, I guess.

With respect to Latin America, in every country here you can observe two parallel cultures. I will consider Africans, Asians and other minorities here as part of the mainstream to simplify the picture. As I was saying, you observe a Mainstream culture which is mainly European side by side with small Ethnic Indigenous people, whose percentage varies widely from country to country.
The Mainstream in Latin America is made of a continium of people basically Whites and Mestizos, with all the intermediate mixtures in between, and smaller minorities of peoples comming from all over the world. However, the culture of the mainstream is mainly European. However, we keep TRADITIONS that are very old, and some of them indeed show syncretism. The Criollo culture (Criollo in Spanish is not the culture of mulattos, but the culture of the Whites living in the New World) is heavily influenced by some natives motifs, ideas and traditions, that's true. But the culture itself it is still European.

Just an example. It is true that the Virgin of Guadaloupe it is syncretic with an Aztec goddess. However, it is also true that syncretism is a tradition INSIDE the Catholic faith! And the Catholic faith comes from Rome, based in scriptures written in Greek! And not long ago all the masses were song in Latin!

The countries were the Amerindian culture is majoritary are just three: Bolivia, Ecuador and Guatemala, and even there people are very westernized by now. In all the rest, it is the European culture that predominate. In some places it could be the culture of poor Europe, as in some rural places of Italy rather than the advanced culture of London, though, but European anyways.

Yes, I have seen natives speaking Quechua by cell phone, though LOL. But that's less common than you think.

Edited by pinguin - 31-Jan-2009 at 03:54
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2009 at 05:10
Yes, I know many Americans, particularly the ones that looks the Old World for identity, don't want to remember Indians as you say, nor they appreciate theirs contribution to American culture. At least some Americans really appreciate theirs contribution and heritage, and that's enough for me.
C'mon, I just posted a million times we don't look at anyone else for our identity, we just don't relate to Natives because they didn't set the foundations for our culture. Are you wearing colored glasses? I also said Americans don't recognize the contributions of Europeans to things we use today. This has nothing to do with discriminating, it's just the culture. I've been trying to word this as many ways as possible, but I keep getting the samething, I don't know how I can say it any other way.
Well, Hispanics won't ever see themselves as Anglosaxons. That's something I can tell you for sure.
Neither do I or a majority of Americans in my expierence. Our culture isn't what most Americans would call AngloSaxon. Like I said, we have a huge mix of cultures, we are a melting pot. You can look back on alot of my posts and see that I said Americans see our culture as our own.
With respect to language, too bad. Hispanics can learn English, and they are mostly billingual in the U.S., but they hardly will lost a language as Spanish.
I'm not sure why your offended at the idea of integration. I know hispanics here, one I consider my only brother. He's proud to be an American, but he does recognize his heritage. But it's American first. And he speaks English, wants to learn Spanish, and I encourage it. Americans don't want people to lose their identity, quite the opposite. But we all always agree in that we are American first. There are always festivals highlighting heritage, when it's St.Patrick's day, everyone is Irish(well, just to have fun), after that, everyone is American again. But our biggest holidays are always the 4th of July, because that's when our history started for us. Thats what we are proud of and what many immigrants become proud of, even Hispanics.
A language that has more pedigree that even English itself!! There is no sense they lost it. Unlike anglosaxons, Hispanics in the U.S. are not blind to the fact 600 million people south of the border, with a middle income and a standard of living growing faster that the developed world, makes a huge market.
Pinguin, to understand the world and cultures, you first after to understand that everyone is equal and no one is superior. When my ancestors came here, their parents told them to only speak English to each other, because this was their new adopted country and they were to be proud of it. My Papa(Grandfather) only spoke Italian to his parents, to his 5 siblings, they all spoke English. I see this now with Hispanics, alot are bilingual, but many only speak English now. They want to be American, and we accept them with open arms.
Besides, many Latin American business people and artists have theirs operation base in the U.S., particularly in Miami and Atlanta, from where they reach all the Iberian world, to people in the Americas and Europe. That's something the english speaking people of the U.S. don't have idea. Even myself, I see daily my Latin American news comming from Atlanta... In Spanish!!
And it's great! Thats the country we built, one that reaches out to the world. We have alot of communities of smaller cultures that do the same as you describe. Sorry to say it, but Hispanics don't have a monopoly on that idea.

I don't understand the hostility towards Americans of the US. We aren't trying to force people to follow our lead(atleast not the citizens) and we accept others into our culture like generations before. In 2050 the minority group will be higher then Whites, and they will still be Americans, speaking English and the same culture. We will also be alot more mixed, I've dated outside my race, and so have friends and family. As of right now I have black, asian, and Hispanic cousins.

Despite what you may think, Americans aren't xenophobic. Though I'm beginning to think you are with this recent post. I remember when you came here with these kinds of posts, and it stopped and I thought you finally accepted Americans and their culture, I guess not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>