Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIsrael attack Gaza, December 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel attack Gaza, December 2008
    Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 11:51
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7800985.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7801662.stm

Israel renews air strikes on Gaza

Israeli jets have launched a second day of air attacks on the Gaza Strip, amid warnings that operations will continue until Hamas ends rocket fire from Gaza.

Palestinian officials raised the number killed on Saturday to 271, while Israel said it targeted 30 sites overnight.

At the UN, the Security Council called for an end to all violence in Gaza, including rocket attacks from Gaza.

Israel says at least 110 rockets have been fired over the weekend, and warned it may send troops into Gaza.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 12:52
Typical Zionist barbarity.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 13:41

Can't believe that the world is not reacting to this barbarity. Shouln't be there an ultimatum to Israel to stop this and if they fail to do so then NATO jets and Tomahawk missiles scramble over Tel Aviv? I mean, this did happen with Serbia...

Oh, yes. Enjoy the holidays everyone... I'm sure the Palestinians do.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 14:28

Hello to you all

Why would the world even bother? The world order is paralysed, it only intervens when Oil (Iraq), gas (central Asia) or a regime that threatens their domination exists. Now if the darling of the international community is commiting such acts against people who are irrelevent in the world balance of powers who is even going to ask for a second opinion?

As much as I regret saying it, Hamas isn't exactly innocent either, they knew this was coming and worse, they knew Israel particularly was above international law yet the brotherhood mentality still dominates their actions.

God only help those 1.4 million trapped in the world's biggest prison.

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 14:55

and a happy new year to you!

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 16:23
the Gaza situation is disgusting and it is hard to make sense of it all while our own governments say nothing but soft words like 'we implore Israel' or whatever.

On one hand i understand why people in Gaza, prisoners, just want to hurt Israel in anyway they can, but on the other hand Hamas needs to stop the hostilities as well. They must bear some responsibility for security and safety of their citizens*. They are inviting what is predictable Israeli action so why should we be shocked this time over any other?

They may try to emulate Hezbollah and they might even beat Israel in Gaza with blood all over the streets but it wont change anything. they are screwing themselves and playing into Israel. Hamas and Israel  need each other so the can re-confirm their hard line political positions.

*remember these guys are the elected government

Edited by Leonidas - 28-Dec-2008 at 16:25
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 16:38
It's high time to just bulldoze everything for a mile either side of the wall, declare it a DMZ, and move the blue helmets in.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 17:20
Good luck Israel! Smile
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 20:34
Originally posted by Yiannis

Can't believe that the world is not reacting to this barbarity. Shouln't be there an ultimatum to Israel to stop this and if they fail to do so then NATO jets and Tomahawk missiles scramble over Tel Aviv? I mean, this did happen with Serbia...

Why should the Israelis stop if they continue to get bombarded by shelling from Gaza?  Doesn't Hamas, as an elected government, have the responsibility to its people to protect them?  And if protecting them means not allowing people to provoke a richer more powerful neighbor doesn't Hamas have a responsibility to it people to crack down and punish those who commit the provocations?  

Is Israel's response a little much, yes.  Does that mean that people should overlook how the Palestinians are acting in provoking such actions, no.
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 21:48
So blockading Gaza is not provoking in the slightest bit right?
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by King John

Why should the Israelis stop if they continue to get bombarded by shelling from Gaza?  Doesn't Hamas, as an elected government, have the responsibility to its people to protect them?  And if protecting them means not allowing people to provoke a richer more powerful neighbor doesn't Hamas have a responsibility to it people to crack down and punish those who commit the provocations?  

Is Israel's response a little much, yes.  Does that mean that people should overlook how the Palestinians are acting in provoking such actions, no.

However Hamas has ideological interests in seeing their people provoke Israel.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 22:56
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Pretty much, I have read through some of the reports from BBC, pretty horrid. As far as Abbas, he is nothing but a little puppet, if he had any b---s he would suck it up and stand up to Israel, perhaps then his own people would show him the respect he yearns for. As of now he is nothing but a local Governor who isn't doing much toward Palestinian unity or statehood.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:01

...well even the "Change" Democrats including Obama are scared of even mentioning anything critical... so we will have to see if anything will truly change in this disgusting barbarity that has gone on now far too long.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:07

Again... go spend a year in Palestine and you will see why they should "stop." They are nothing but a bunch of overly ideological thugs that are killing off an entire group of people and dwindling their territories day by day. Now Israel has a defense budget that is supported by some large donations and has a superb military... and you have a rock - now you throw that rock  and get your entire family and the other 2 blocks shelled. What a proportionate response to the attacks...

Oh please get off your moral high horse and see some reality. I am not saying Hamas is innocent, but it is not exactly like Israel has had the better part of the moral high ground in this conflict.

If I come to your house take it, and make you live in the Garbage can next to the house for 3 generations and your grandchildren now grow up in there and cant do s--t about it, would you be so kind and accept my new stipulation (basically I keep the house you live in the bucket and rot with no hope for a future).

I respect your input on the forum, but you have a very skewed and limited scope and view of the situation.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:07
Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

So blockading Gaza is not provoking in the slightest bit right?

No apparently it is a humanitarian action Star
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:12
http://www.jatonyc.org/
http://www.jatonyc.org/backinfo.html#minority
http://www.jatonyc.org/backinfo.html#settlements
http://www.jatonyc.org/backinfo.html#refugees
Interesting links...

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:18

Why should the Israelis stop if they continue to get bombarded by shelling from Gaza? Doesn't Hamas, as an elected government, have the responsibility to its people to protect them?

Hamas rockets hit their targets at such a miniscule percentile and they kill at a rate even less than that. Their rockets are nothing more than home-made science projects. I think you're more likely to get killed by a yak than by a Hamas rocket.

And Hamas was the elected government until immediately after the elections when Israel and the US/UK rejected the result, for no reason other than it didn't suit their political agenda. So Hamas is not recognized by the west, and if you remember a year or two ago Israel even declared Gaza a "hostile entity". But this goes back before Hamas was elected in 06'... Gaza has been more or less a concentration camp since the 80's.

But Hamas is protecting their people... fighting back, even on a small scale, against a colonizing entity which has rendered their native land into a concentration camp is (to my knowledge) the status quo in most situations. Look at the Warsaw ghetto uprisings.

Yes, lets just ignore the entire history of the conflict. Lets ignore the fact that a bunch of Europeans and North Americans decided to come to Asia to colonize and ethnically cleanse an entire nation. Lets ignore the fact they still don't recognize the native Palestinian state, while at the same time, not only urging recognition of Israel, but never putting limits on Israel's borders. Lets also ignore the fact that the Zionists have been waging almost non-stop military offensives for over 7 decades, and have occupied land from each of their neighbors at some point. Lets ignore the fact that the Zionist movement was neither nationalistic nor religious in nature. Lets ignore the fact that it was rejected outright by all Asian nationalist movements including Ghandi's India, making it ideologically out of touch with the reality of the continent. Lets ignore their secret nuclear weapons program, ignore all their land-grabs and massacres which still continue today in the form of West Bank walls and Gaza airstrikes. Maybe then we can make sense out of blaming Palestinians for "provoking such actions".

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Quoted for truth. What do you expect from a movement which was in bed with imperialist powers from day one, and which has never put limits on its own borders?
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:31

Is Israel's response a little much, yes.  

Disapprove

In case someone pull out a gun and kill you for e.g. calling him an idiot, don't worry, he's just "overreacting" pffff....
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:46
There is a problem in this debate, as one side, usually self-righteous holier than thou folks (Usually leftists) wander along and come out with a line like the first response to this thread, which doesn't exactly help. Saying 'motherf*cking Joos' is about as productive.

Most people with a heart can sympathise with families who are having their homes blown out by a rocket, irrelevant to which side of a wall they come from, or to what their annual income might be. But always blaming one side (Israel) oversimplifies the issue and lets some really bad apples (Hamas) think they can continue to have the moral high ground in every dispute.

How do you deal with an adversary who won't recognise your right to existence?

I'm no 'zionist' or 'western capitalist pig', but sometimes enough is enough already with the crazy rhetoric. Someone needs to grab someone else by the hand and sit down like adults and work the god damn thing out. Otherwise, like our grandparents have seen with us, our grandchildren will be reading reports of another bomb in some town in some place in Palestine. And there will still be people like Beylerbyi ready to jump onboard with a typically thoughtless and self-righteous remark.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 23:58
I am just waiting what is Obama going to say about this attack.
Let's see if the change really comes, or it was just rethoric to win an election.
The U.S. is the only nation with the power to make Israel to reason. After all, Israel lives on subsidies from the U.S., so the official silence is just a form of complicity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>