Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vlad dracul

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vlad dracul
    Posted: 24-Feb-2009 at 22:56
A good book is Matei Cazacu's Dracula which you'll certainly find it in French (2004) and Romanian (2008). The author gives a decent narrative, but beyond that it is a recent monograph connecting the reader with virtually all primary sources and most of the scholarship available on this topic.

Originally posted by es_bih

It didn't accomplish anything - he still got decapitated at the end of the day and the Sultan won out. If he were able to maintain independence then perhaps. 
Mehmed II's campaign from 1462 was arguably a failure. Vlad was eventually imprisoned and then exiled in the Hungarian kingdom, but it's most likely not Mehmed's merit. In 1476, after few months of a new reign, Vlad died after a battle against Basarab III, a throne rival having Ottoman support.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2009 at 23:06
And Ottoman influence and control won out...

So yes Vlad failed. 15 years of resistance doesn't amount to success unless you produce that, which didn't happen. The Ottomans had control and influence for a while after 1500.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2009 at 23:31

So yes Vlad failed. 15 years of resistance doesn't amount to success unless you produce that, which didn't happen. The Ottomans had control and influence for a while after 1500.
15 years of resistance?

Vlad's main enemy weren't the Ottomans (they were just one of them), so I don't see your point. How does the fact that Mathias Corvinus imprisoned him is a merit of the Ottomans?
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 00:36
The degree of success or influence of a historical figure is a matter of judgement passed on them by later generations, and this judgement is influenced to a large degree by contemporary trends, issues and concerns.

Was he successful in completely nullifying Ottoman political influence in the long run? Certainly not. Did he become a symbolic figure, an inspiration to later generations, particularly in the context of the consolidation of national identity and ideology (starting with the 18th century and culminating in the 19th)? Certainly yes.

So, the measure of his success is really in the eye of the beholder...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 01:07
Originally posted by Chilbudios

15 years of resistance?

Vlad's main enemy weren't the Ottomans (they were just one of them), so I don't see your point. How does the fact that Mathias Corvinus imprisoned him is a merit of the Ottomans?

I didn't mention anything of Corvinus, you're doing that to pat your ego on the back. I am responding to CB - and the fact that ultimately Vlad didn't succeed.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 09:23

I didn't mention anything of Corvinus, you're doing that to pat your ego on the back. I am responding to CB - and the fact that ultimately Vlad didn't succeed.
Not really, it's not the fair perspective. One could argue that ultimately Mehmed II didn't accomplish anything because, well, he eventually died and today the Ottoman Empire is no more. CB was talking about this:
Originally posted by CB

And Vlads impalement of thousands of turkish prisoners did accomplish something it turned back Mehmet and it his army  
And he's partially correct. This episode, if it really happened, certainly terrified his enemies and contributed to the insuccess of the 1462 campaign. 
Mehmed II led himself a large army. They were harassed by Vlad, they failed (or avoided) to siege the few Wallachian fortresses, they mostly captured peasants and cattle. Mehmed tried to siege Kiliya but failed (this fortress was conquered only in 1484 by Bayezid II). After a skirmish in eastern Wallachia the Ottoman army retreated. But Vlad was still on the throne, he still had his army, his main fortresses were standing, he still had most of the nobles (boyars) on his side.
Vlad lost the throne in late 1462 to his brother, Radu. At this point he had against him a part of his own nobles (switching sides), Radu (with arguably some Ottoman support), Matthias Corvinus (who imprisoned Vlad in november 1462) and Stephen III of Moldavia.

Edited by Chilbudios - 25-Feb-2009 at 10:01
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 12:12
That's not true at all. Mehmed II took Vlad's capital (unless that's what you call 'peasants and cattle') and put Radu on the throne (so you are wrong saying 'Vlad was still on the throne'), and moved on to campaign in Hungary that winter. He was not defeated by Vlad and turned back, that's Romanian nationalist fantasy.

However, it is true that Mehmed II was not able to subjugate Wallachia and eliminate Vlad. That was accomplished by his son. 

Vlad avoided direct conflict and retreated, favouring scorched earth tactics (to the detriment of his own subjects, which is one reason he was feared so much) and ambushes. Mehmed II did not retreat because his army was defeated. Vlad did not fight a pitched battle, because he had brains, basically. What Vlad accomplished was that he made it too costly for Mehmed II to pursue him and finish him off, i.e. he managed to survive, which was quite an accomplishment, later blown out of proportion by Romanian romantic nationalists. 
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 12:52
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

That's not true at all. Mehmed II took Vlad's capital (unless that's what you call 'peasants and cattle') and put Radu on the throne (so you are wrong saying 'Vlad was still on the throne'), and moved on to campaign in Hungary that winter. He was not defeated by Vlad and turned back, that's Romanian nationalist fantasy.

Vlad avoided direct conflict and retreated, favouring scorched earth tactics (to the detriment of his own subjects, which is one reason he was feared so much) and ambushes. Mehmed II did not retreat because his army was defeated. Vlad did not fight a pitched battle, because he had brains, basically. What Vlad accomplished was that he made it too costly for Mehmed II to pursue him and finish him off, i.e. he managed to survive, which was quite an accomplishment, later blown out of proportion by Romanian romantic nationalists. 
 You have absolutely no idea about this campaign. Mehmed left Radu in Brăila (I believe it's Ibrail in Turkish), a city on Danube and he left Wallachia in July 1462 (or possibly late June, in early July he was already in Edirne/Adrianople). But at that time the Walachian capital was at Târgovişte, a city which was avoided by Mehmed II (for what reasons I can't tell).
You can read the chronicles of the period (e.g. Chalcocondyles) or the modern scholars (you can start with Babinger, though he does not give the most detailed account).

Then, in the following months there followed a series of small battles between Vlad and Radu and nobles switching sides. Eventually Radu prevailed and Vlad couldn't make his moves as he was captured by the Hungarian king during a meeting they had in Braşov.
And this campaign of Mehmed failed to accomplish any of its goals. Not only that it didn't defeat Vlad, it didn't conquer his capital nor dethroned him (not directly, you can however argue that Vlad lost support of some of his own nobles because of this campaign). When the Sultan was back in Edirne, Vlad was still on his throne.

However, it is true that Mehmed II was not able to subjugate Wallachia and eliminate Vlad. That was accomplished by his son. 
Actually Vlad died during the reign of Mehmed II (Vlad died in 1476, Mehmed II in 1481).

Edited by Chilbudios - 25-Feb-2009 at 13:03
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 14:54
But at that time the Walachian capital was at Târgovişte, a city which was avoided by Mehmed II (for what reasons I can't tell).

My source is Inalcik, but even the wikipedia article (written by Romanians) tells that Tirgoviste fell, even includes the date: 

With his army of 20,000–40,000 men Vlad was unable to stop the Turks from entering Wallachia and occupying the capital Târgovişte (4 June 1462), so he resorted to guerrilla warfare, constantly organizing small attacks and ambushes on the Turks. 

So I guess it is you who has no idea about the campaign, because Mehmed II did occupy Tirgoviste. 

You can read the chronicles of the period (e.g. Chalcocondyles) or the modern scholars (you can start with Babinger, though he does not give the most detailed account).
What I have written comes from modern scholars, and they tell that Mehmed II occupied Wallachian capital and put Radu on the throne, but failed to eliminate Vlad and moved on to campaign in Hungary, which is what happened.

Ottoman campaign against Vlad was not only against him, it was a response to the Hungarians capturing some forts, started with the campaign against Vlad and continued later in winter against the Hungarians (Corvinus). 

And this campaign of Mehmed failed to accomplish any of its goals. Not only that it didn't defeat Vlad, it didn't conquer his capital nor dethroned him (not directly, you can however argue that Vlad lost support of some of his own nobles because of this campaign). When the Sultan was back in Edirne, Vlad was still on his throne.

It is correct that the Emperor could not defeat Vlad, because Vlad was smart enough to avoid a pitched battle. But it is wrong that Vlad did not lose his capital and was not dethroned, he was. Overall, I don't disagree that this campaign was a failure for the Ottomans, because Vlad was not eliminated, and Wallachia was completely subdued only by Bayezid II later. However, it is not correct that Vlad defeated the Ottoman army which went back home to Istanbul (not Edirne). That did not happen. Ottomans took Vlad's capital and later continued to campaign Hungary.

Actually Vlad died during the reign of Mehmed II (Vlad died in 1476, Mehmed II in 1481).
Yes, but Wallachia was subdued only by Bayezid II.

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 25-Feb-2009 at 14:56
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 16:09

My source is Inalcik, but even the wikipedia article (written by Romanians) tells that Tirgoviste fell, even includes the date: 

With his army of 20,000–40,000 men Vlad was unable to stop the Turks from entering Wallachia and occupying the capital Târgovişte (4 June 1462), so he resorted to guerrilla warfare, constantly organizing small attacks and ambushes on the Turks. 

So I guess it is you who has no idea about the campaign, because Mehmed II did occupy Tirgoviste. 
Your sources are wrong or you read them incorrectly (Wikipedia, what could be worse?)
See Franz Babinger, Mehmed the Conqueror and His Time, book III, last sub-chapter and virtually all common sense historians writing after him. You can even find this version in popularization books: http://books.google.com/books?id=Yz-0ryt0w-cC&pg=PA50 and in scholarly books: http://books.google.com/books?id=P22TnNTonYwC&pg=PA54

The Ottomans had found nothing in Târgovişte but an abandoned city and impaled corpses. They did not occupy the city and they retreated. From the last book I linked:

"Mehmed II chose not to secure the capital but continued on his march ..."

Why he chose that, as I said, I really do not know (probably thinking that if he occupied the city, Vlad could eventually besiege it and massacre its garrison once his main army moved on). And on the next page:

"Before departing, Sultan Mehmed formally appointed Radu as commander-in-chief with the mission of destroying Dracula ... " - oh, so not on the throne, let's read further:

"The last battles pitted Dracula not so much against the Turks as against the powerful Romanian boyars who ultimately and decissively rallied to the cause of Radu 'The Romanian boyars realizing that the Turks were stronger, abandoned Dracula and associated themselves with the his brother who was with the Turkish Sultan'. So ended an account by a Serbian janissary" , even the contemporary accounts tell that Mehmed did not dethrone Vlad.

Mehmed II left Radu in Ibrail, not on Târgovişte, on the throne (which probably wasn't even there at the time Mehmed reached that city). How do we know that? Because the Venetian bailo at the Porte, Domenico Balbi, reported on July 28, 1462 (my translation): "5,000 Wallachians perished and 15,000 Turks, and as the Sultan saw that he left in hurry and crossed the Danube back and reached Edirne in 11 this month. However he left Dracula's brother with an army at the border of Walalchia, to lure the Wallachians to desert Dracula and switch sides." (I don't know how it looks to you, but to me border is not throne, nor capital)

Ottoman campaign against Vlad was not only against him, it was a response to the Hungarians capturing some forts, started with the campaign against Vlad and continued later in winter against the Hungarians (Corvinus). 
Actually this Ottoman campaign was only against Vlad. Mehmed's main army followed roughly this trajectory: Nicopolis-Turnu (~June 4),  Târgovişte (not long after June 17), Buzău, Brăila (June 29). In July 11 the Sultan was back in Edirne. Put these on the map and tell me how this campaign was targeting Hungary. Either the Ottomans were very bad at geography or you're wrong and somehow I suspect the latter.

Also the campaign was in retaliation to Vlad's previous actions. One was that he impaled Hamza and Katabolenos, the Sultan's emissaries, and their small army. Another was that he massacred the Ottoman population along the Danube and plundered all the villages and cities in his way. In a letter sent by Vlad to Corvinus in February 11, 1462 he counted "And we killed men and women, old and young [...] numbering 23,884 Turks and Bulgarians, not counting those burnt in houses or whose heads were not reported"

However, it is not correct that Vlad defeated the Ottoman army which went back home to Istanbul (not Edirne). That did not happen. Ottomans took Vlad's capital and later continued to campaign Hungary.
 Well, not a total military defeat, but they eventually had to retreat because of these skirmishes eating away his forces (and I'm talking not only of the so-called Night Attack, but of that battle in Eastern Wallachia, right before the Ottoman retreat, or the failed siege against Kiliya). For the Ottoman insuccess you have already the testimony of Domenico Balbi, here are several more:

- in Bologna, in July 17 1462, there were news from Venetian merchants that on June 23, the Ottoman Sultan suffered a great defeat "on land and on water" and that he lost 40,000 soldiers (beyond the hyperbole, certainly it wasn't an Ottoman victory)
- a Venetian chronicle wrote in ~1481 that in 1462 "the Turks went against Dracula in Wallachia and were defeated and chased away"
- the Venetian annales of Stefano Magno wrote of Mehmed, the emperor of the Turks and the Greeks, who sent a powerful army in Wallachia which was defeated
- the Serbian chronicles also mentioned for the year 1462 that the czar Mehmed went against Vlad and he was unsuccesful
- in 1475 Florio Roverella, an Italian ambassador at the Hungarian court, wrote that they hope Dracula will perform great deeds against the Ottomans as he did in 1462 when he defeated them before he got imprisoned by his Highness (the Hungarian king, that is)

Of course, if you turn to Ottoman chroniclers you'll read only of magnificent victories and how the Ottoman Sultans crushed their enemies.  

Actually the Wallachian princes always rebelled (more or less succesful) against the Ottomans. That's also why most of them had short reigns, they lost their throne either to rivals, or changed by one of the neighbouring powers (Moldavia, Hungary, the Ottoman Empire)

Edited by Chilbudios - 25-Feb-2009 at 16:25
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 18:33

Your sources are wrong or you read them incorrectly (Wikipedia, what could be worse?)
See Franz Babinger, Mehmed the Conqueror and His Time, book III, last sub-chapter and virtually all common sense historians writing after him. You can even find this version in popularization books: http://books.google.com/books?id=Yz-0ryt0w-cC&pg=PA50 and in scholarly books: http://books.google.com/books?id=P22TnNTonYwC&pg=PA54

The Ottomans had found nothing in Târgovişte but an abandoned city and impaled corpses. They did not occupy the city and they retreated. From the last book I linked:

Why he chose that, as I said, I really do not know (probably thinking that if he occupied the city, Vlad could eventually besiege it and massacre its garrison once his main army moved on). And on the next page:

"Before departing, Sultan Mehmed formally appointed Radu as commander-in-chief with the mission of destroying Dracula ... " - oh, so not on the throne, let's read further:

"The last battles pitted Dracula not so much against the Turks as against the powerful Romanian boyars who ultimately and decissively rallied to the cause of Radu 'The Romanian boyars realizing that the Turks were stronger, abandoned Dracula and associated themselves with the his brother who was with the Turkish Sultan'. So ended an account by a Serbian janissary" , even the contemporary accounts tell that Mehmed did not dethrone Vlad.

Mehmed II left Radu in Ibrail, not on Târgovişte, on the throne (which probably wasn't even there at the time Mehmed reached that city). How do we know that? Because the Venetian bailo at the Porte, Domenico Balbi, reported on July 28, 1462 (my translation): "5,000 Wallachians perished and 15,000 Turks, and as the Sultan saw that he left in hurry and crossed the Danube back and reached Edirne in 11 this month. However he left Dracula's brother with an army at the border of Walalchia, to lure the Wallachians to desert Dracula and switch sides." (I don't know how it looks to you, but to me border is not throne, nor capital)

Actually this Ottoman campaign was only against Vlad. Mehmed's main army followed roughly this trajectory: Nicopolis-Turnu (~June 4),  Târgovişte (not long after June 17), Buzău, Brăila (June 29). In July 11 the Sultan was back in Edirne. Put these on the map and tell me how this campaign was targeting Hungary. Either the Ottomans were very bad at geography or you're wrong and somehow I suspect the latter.

Also the campaign was in retaliation to Vlad's previous actions. One was that he impaled Hamza and Katabolenos, the Sultan's emissaries, and their small army. Another was that he massacred the Ottoman population along the Danube and plundered all the villages and cities in his way. In a letter sent by Vlad to Corvinus in February 11, 1462 he counted "And we killed men and women, old and young [...] numbering 23,884 Turks and Bulgarians, not counting those burnt in houses or whose heads were not reported"

However, it is not correct that Vlad defeated the Ottoman army which went back home to Istanbul (not Edirne). That did not happen. Ottomans took Vlad's capital and later continued to campaign Hungary.
 Well, not a total military defeat, but they eventually had to retreat because of these skirmishes eating away his forces (and I'm talking not only of the so-called Night Attack, but of that battle in Eastern Wallachia, right before the Ottoman retreat, or the failed siege against Kiliya). For the Ottoman insuccess you have already the testimony of Domenico Balbi, here are several more:

- in Bologna, in July 17 1462, there were news from Venetian merchants that on June 23, the Ottoman Sultan suffered a great defeat "on land and on water" and that he lost 40,000 soldiers (beyond the hyperbole, certainly it wasn't an Ottoman victory)
- a Venetian chronicle wrote in ~1481 that in 1462 "the Turks went against Dracula in Wallachia and were defeated and chased away"
- the Venetian annales of Stefano Magno wrote of Mehmed, the emperor of the Turks and the Greeks, who sent a powerful army in Wallachia which was defeated
- the Serbian chronicles also mentioned for the year 1462 that the czar Mehmed went against Vlad and he was unsuccesful
- in 1475 Florio Roverella, an Italian ambassador at the Hungarian court, wrote that they hope Dracula will perform great deeds against the Ottomans as he did in 1462 when he defeated them before he got imprisoned by his Highness (the Hungarian king, that is)

Of course, if you turn to Ottoman chroniclers you'll read only of magnificent victories and how the Ottoman Sultans crushed their enemies.  

Actually the Wallachian princes always rebelled (more or less succesful) against the Ottomans. That's also why most of them had short reigns, they lost their throne either to rivals, or changed by one of the neighbouring powers (Moldavia, Hungary, the Ottoman Empire)

So when we look at the western neighboors of turks the chronicles are writing a suprahuman defence of wallachia and 100000`s of turks killed. We need a synthesis of the chronicles for both of the sides.

Halil Inalcık(He is an expert in Ottoman history)
   Georges Castellan
   Radu Florescu

In summary these historians opinion is the 1462 Wallachia campaign is not a ottoman or wallachia victory in millitarical ways. The ottomans pursued their foes, the foe prefered only ambushs and flight(A night ambush is very important for the romanian folkloric tradition, it symbolise the heroism of Vlad). Obviously a pitched battle would be an easy ottoman victory when we consider the quantity and the quality of the soldiers. However Radu completed the mission and Vlad escaped to his old ally.  
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 19:40
Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

So when we look at the western neighboors of turks the chronicles are writing a suprahuman defence of wallachia and 100000`s of turks killed. We need a synthesis of the chronicles for both of the sides.
Where do you find 100000s of Turks killed? However, the Ottomans certainly lost thousands of soldiers in this campaign, in skirmishes, of thirst and hunger and also because of disease. Even the propagandistic Ottoman chronicles admit that much.

So? Radu Florescu is an expert in Vlad III's life (he wrote several books on it, together with Raymond Mc Nally). Moreover the episodes we're talking about involve a lot of non-Ottoman chronicles and even events which the Ottomans did not witness (perhaps they heard news of them). Inalcik had unlimited access to Topkapi archives and many Ottoman documents but he could miss a lot of evidences, especially that for him Vlad III is mostly an insigificant episode in a centuries long Ottoman history. He is a reputable Turkish historian, but that doesn't make him without flaws.
If one believes, for instance, that Mehmed II dethroned Vlad in this campaign or that Mehmed left Radu in Târgovişte, it's very simple, he must provide evidence for it. Evidence as in contemporary testimonies, not historiographic fiction.
Plus you seem to ignore Franz Babinger or even Matei Cazacu, two other authors I mentioned. If you need quantity I can spam this thread with historians and sources.

In summary these historians opinion is the 1462 Wallachia campaign is not a ottoman or wallachia victory in millitarical ways. The ottomans pursued their foes, the foe prefered only ambushs and flight(A night ambush is very important for the romanian folkloric tradition, it symbolise the heroism of Vlad).
The Night Attack is very important in the contemporary sources, together with the failed siege of Kiliya and another skirmish near Buzău, in Eastern Wallachia, as these events echoed throughout Europe being considered an Ottoman insuccess (or even defeat).
However, Vlad III is quasi-absent from Romanian folklore. His memory quickly faded away his reign was mostly a one-liner in the Wallachian chronicles. He revived as a historical character only with the historians and the fiction writers of 19th-21st centuries.

Obviously a pitched battle would be an easy ottoman victory when we consider the quantity and the quality of the soldiers. However Radu completed the mission and Vlad escaped to his old ally. 
Vlad was imprisoned by his ally in Visegrád. He was released years after.

Quantity the Ottomans may had, but not always quality. Let's remember another battle of the Ottoman forces, also during the reign of Mehmed II, this time against the neighbouring Moldavia. In January 10, 1475, a superior (2-3:1) Ottoman force recorded a shameful defeat against the army of Stephen III. Well, it was winter, it was in a marshy terrain, it was a dark, foggy day, however this battle (and few others) raise serious doubts on the efficiency of Ottoman soldiers against a skillful opponent. Most of the times the Ottoman won because they outnumbered their opponent. But even that wasn't a warrant for victory.

Edited by Chilbudios - 25-Feb-2009 at 19:46
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 20:43

Where do you find 100000s of Turks killed? However, the Ottomans certainly lost thousands of soldiers in this campaign, in skirmishes, of thirst and hunger and also because of disease. Even the propagandistic Ottoman chronicles admit that much.

So? Radu Florescu is an expert in Vlad III's life (he wrote several books on it, together with Raymond Mc Nally). Moreover the episodes we're talking about involve a lot of non-Ottoman chronicles and even events which the Ottomans did not witness (perhaps they heard news of them). Inalcik had unlimited access to Topkapi archives and many Ottoman documents but he could miss a lot of evidences, especially that for him Vlad III is mostly an insigificant episode in a centuries long Ottoman history. He is a reputable Turkish historian, but that doesn't make him without flaws.
If one believes, for instance, that Mehmed II dethroned Vlad in this campaign or that Mehmed left Radu in Târgovişte, it's very simple, he must provide evidence for it. Evidence as in contemporary testimonies, not historiographic fiction.
Plus you seem to ignore Franz Babinger or even Matei Cazacu, two other authors I mentioned. If you need quantity I can spam this thread with historians and sources.

In summary these historians opinion is the 1462 Wallachia campaign is not a ottoman or wallachia victory in millitarical ways. The ottomans pursued their foes, the foe prefered only ambushs and flight(A night ambush is very important for the romanian folkloric tradition, it symbolise the heroism of Vlad).
The Night Attack is very important in the contemporary sources, together with the failed siege of Kiliya and another skirmish near Buzău, in Eastern Wallachia, as these events echoed throughout Europe being considered an Ottoman insuccess (or even defeat).
However, Vlad III is quasi-absent from Romanian folklore. His memory quickly faded away his reign was mostly a one-liner in the Wallachian chronicles. He revived as a historical character only with the historians and the fiction writers of 19th-21st centuries.

Obviously a pitched battle would be an easy ottoman victory when we consider the quantity and the quality of the soldiers. However Radu completed the mission and Vlad escaped to his old ally. 
Vlad was imprisoned by his ally in Visegrád. He was released years after.

Quantity the Ottomans may had, but not always quality. Let's remember another battle of the Ottoman forces, also during the reign of Mehmed II, this time against the neighbouring Moldavia. In January 10, 1475, a superior (2-3:1) Ottoman force recorded a shameful defeat against the army of Stephen III. Well, it was winter, it was in a marshy terrain, it was a dark, foggy day, however this battle (and few others) raise serious doubts on the efficiency of Ottoman soldiers against a skillful opponent. Most of the times the Ottoman won because they outnumbered their opponent. But even that wasn't a warrant for victory.

Exxagrating ottoman casualties and army strength is a common feature of the european historians. By this way they are making up excuses for their defeats. All medieval sources claim(ottoman or european) their rivals army great in number and claim heavy inflicted casualties. Without doubt the quality of the army was higher than their neighbors.(By this quality the conquests established). When we look to quantity first of all ottoman army was not a conscription or a national army so huge numbers are ridiculous. Even the ottomans did not have enough infrastructure to supply armies like 50-100000. The total jannisary(4-5000) and sipahi(30-40000) quantity is well known in 15th century.   I am with you in most of your statements about vlad`s story. But considering an ottoman defeat will be innaccurate.  
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 12:59
I went home and chacked some books, I was wrong about Mehmed II campaigning in Hungary in that winter. He did that later, when he campaigned against Moldavia later in the 1470s. In this case, he campaigned in Bosnia in the next year, and the year after that.

I was writing from memory. Still, I knew better than you, as you did not know that the Ottomans took Tirgoviste. As to wikipedia, I wrote that it is not my source, but you are trying to score cheap points, because such is your character. You posted a game manual as a source below, FFS!  

See Franz Babinger, Mehmed the Conqueror and His Time, book III, last sub-chapter and virtually all common sense historians writing after him.
Babinger is a good scholar, but he is rather dated now. Inalcik supercedes him. Having written this, what Babinger writes does not contradict what I have written.    

You can even find this version in popularization books: http://books.google.com/books?id=Yz-0ryt0w-cC&pg=PA50 
This is a miniature game manual... So much for your academic credentials... 

The Ottomans had found nothing in Târgovişte but an abandoned city and impaled corpses. They did not occupy the city and they retreated. From the last book I linked:

In your first post you have written that Mehmed had not reached Tirgoviste. Now you are saying he reached it but found nothing there. I have said this all along, Mehmed took Vlad's capital. If he left a garrison behind or not is irrelevant. Relevant point is, Vlad left his capital to the enemy and went hiding. Which, I believe, was the right thing to do.  

"The last battles pitted Dracula not so much against the Turks as against the powerful Romanian boyars who ultimately and decissively rallied to the cause of Radu 'The Romanian boyars realizing that the Turks were stronger, abandoned Dracula and associated themselves with the his brother who was with the Turkish Sultan'. So ended an account by a Serbian janissary" , even the contemporary accounts tell that Mehmed did not dethrone Vlad.

Well, that is your interpretation. My interpretation (what I call 'put Radu on the throne') is that Vlad lost his capital and retreated, Mehmed II left Radu in charge of Wallachia. Like you agree, the Boyars accepted Radu's claim to the Principality as well. As such he was installed as the ruler of Wallachia. However, he failed to stay in power and Vlad reclaimed the throne. So, the campaign was a failure for the Ottomans.  

Mehmed II left Radu in Ibrail, not on Târgovişte, on the throne (which probably wasn't even there at the time Mehmed reached that city).
Don't take things so literally. 'Left him on the throne' does not necessarily mean that Radu was left sitting on some seat.  

Actually this Ottoman campaign was only against Vlad. Mehmed's main army followed roughly this trajectory: Nicopolis-Turnu (~June 4),  Târgovişte (not long after June 17), Buzău, Brăila (June 29). In July 11 the Sultan was back in Edirne.

Well, this was only against Wallachia, you are right. However, Vlad attacked because he was allied with Hungary. Who were attacking the Ottomans in the West in Bosnia and Serbia. Mehmed II moved on to campaign in Bosnia against Hungary, but not in the same winter, but the next year and the year after that. As such it was a distraction in the greater struggle against Hungary from the Ottoman point of view. 

Put these on the map and tell me how this campaign was targeting Hungary. Either the Ottomans were very bad at geography or you're wrong and somehow I suspect the latter.
I was mistaken about the campaign, but you are still wrong if you think Ottomans would not have moved to Edirne if they were attacking Hungary in that winter. Edirne was the main intersection where the north-south and east-west roads met. 

Ottoman campaign was a failure, which I have written. Vlad was a good general and he fought a successful guerilla campaign with scorched-earth tactics which accomplised his objective, so I would say he was victorious. However, he did not defeat the Ottoman army, because he was smart enough not to face it. 

Venetian and other such sources are not the best, given that they were not anywhere near the action, even the best Western scholars use only Western sources, because they either have no access to Turkish ones, or they cannot read Turkish. So they present a completely one-sided view. Having said this, read what Babinger wrote about the Night Attack, he says it was not clear it it was a victory for Vlad (using only Christian sources as well).

As to claims of 20000-40000 Turks killed, they are clearly bollocks. Greatest army Mehmed II assembled numbered about 70000, it was against the Akkoyunlu-Venice-Knights-Karaman coalition, and that was only possible by recruiting two men from every Christian village in the Balkans... We also have access to Ottoman records, and know the numbers of their troops, and their armies (they counted everyone in their totals, unlike the Christians who counted only fighting troops).  

So the Ottoman Army in Wallachia was no more than 50000 in total, which was, nevertheless far more than what Vlad could handle in a pitched battle, and he knew it, and Mehmed II also knew it, and everyone then knew it, and everyone now knows it, except a handful of Romanian nationalists, of course.  

How many Ottoman chroniclers have you read? None. So, you should not talk about things that you have no idea about. Ottoman chroniclers write very damning accounts of Ottoman defeats such as Vienna in 1683 or of Lepanto. Don't confuse them with propagandists writing fairy tales in Poland or Germany or Venice about Christian victories in the lands they have never seen or of Romanian romantic nationalists. Besides, regardless of what they write, you can't ignore them if you want to be taken seriously. 

If one believes, for instance, that Mehmed II dethroned Vlad in this campaign or that Mehmed left Radu in Târgovişte, it's very simple, he must provide evidence for it. Evidence as in contemporary testimonies, not historiographic fiction.
Nobody said 'Mehmed left Radu in Tirgoviste', that's you putting words in people's mouths. I don't know where he left him, and it is not important. 'Dethroned' can be interpreted in different ways, and you can disagree with my interpretation (that he left Radu in charge with the support of the Boyars after he removed Vlad from his capital, is enough for me to say that Vlad was dethroned).

I am sure you can spam game manuals and whatever. However, what Babinger writes does not really contradict the core of what I have written.

This is mostly wrong. Ottomans had better quality troops (particularly Janissary infantry and Kapikulu cavalry) than most, if not all of their opponents. They surely had better artillery. They used guns. Most of their army was, of course, same quality as anyone else's (feudal cavalry). Like all great powers they lost some battles and won some battles, but it is bollocks to write things like 'they won because they outnumbered their opponent'. That shows you have no understanding of Ottoman military and campaigns. You should read newer sources rather than medieval and Romanian fantasies. 
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 13:17

Exxagrating ottoman casualties and army strength is a common feature of the european historians. By this way they are making up excuses for their defeats. All medieval sources claim(ottoman or european) their rivals army great in number and claim heavy inflicted casualties. Without doubt the quality of the army was higher than their neighbors.(By this quality the conquests established). When we look to quantity first of all ottoman army was not a conscription or a national army so huge numbers are ridiculous. Even the ottomans did not have enough infrastructure to supply armies like 50-100000. The total jannisary(4-5000) and sipahi(30-40000) quantity is well known in 15th century.   I am with you in most of your statements about vlad`s story. But considering an ottoman defeat will be innaccurate.  
I disagree with most of what you pointed out here.
Let's start with the sources. The European witnesses are arguably more heterogenous than the Ottoman ones, Europe was a mosaic of cultures, political and social contexts, even religions (as 15th century European Christianity was far from being one monolith). These "historians" were actually (veteran) soldiers, merchants, sometimes ambassadors of high officials, clerics, people from various backgrounds and professions. Even the sources were not only chronicles, but also diplomas, private letters, inscriptions or various other types of documents. Rejecting thus the "European historians" is a self-defeating maneuver, because it leaves two options: to use only the non-European (i.e. Ottoman) historians and thus narrate with a certain bias (especially that Ottoman views were less heterogenous, and usually most Ottoman chroniclers were praising their Sultans, emphasizing their magnificence, their victories and minimizing their insuccesses and defeats), or to use no written sources at all and simply become a fiction writer (as for most these battles the written sources are our only sources).
Not only that we must consider the European sources, sometimes the Ottoman sources are those giving the high numbers (higher than their European counterparts). If, for instance, for this campaign most European sources claim magnitues of tens of thousands, some Ottoman chroniclers (and even Mehmed II himself) claim hundreds of thousands. The Ottoman chronicle of Tursun-bey claims the Sultan had for this campaign an army of 30 tumens (i.e. 300,000 soldiers), while in a letter (a Fetihname actually) sent by Mehmed II to Ibrahim, the ruler of Karamania, the same army is estimated to 15 tumens (i.e. 150,000 soldiers). For comparision, the Venice's ambassador at Buda suggested the Ottomans had an army of only 60,000 soldiers. Whatever the truth about Mehmed's army, obviously the "Europeans" seem much more conservative in their estimates than their Ottoman counterparts.
Now, when we turn to the composition of the Ottoman army you seem to take in account only the janissaries and the sipahi, ignoring the azaps (irregulars), the akinci (especially in border areas - e.g. along the Danube near the Hungary or Wallachia) or even the armies of Ottoman vassals and/or allies. The report of Domenico Balbi said "the fleet of the Sultan together with the lord of the Lower Wallachia [i.e. Moldavia], went to assault the Lycostomo [i.e. Kiliya] castle, and they spent 8 days and they couldn't do nothing, and many azaps died and they returned in shame and defeated"
Not only that Ottoman army was not only formed of elite soldiers, but the overall numbers should have been usually larger than those of their enemies, because not only it would be preposterous that a small principate would raise (on a regular basis) an army larger than a great empire, but also all our sources suggest this thing. Like I already argued, it would be self-defeating to claim virtually all our sources wrong. And all major Ottoman victories from this period (Varna - 1444, Kosovopolje - 1448, the siege and the fall of Constantinople - 1453) were battles where the Ottoman army outnumbered greatly its enemy, moreover there were battles where Ottomans themselves had high casualties, which suggest a claim of individual superiority of the Ottoman soldier is not really well-founded. Moreover, under skillful commanders like John Hunyadi leading the Hungarian armies or Stephen III leading the Moldavian armies, the Ottomans also lost pitched battles, even battles where they outnumbered their enemy.
I don't want to suggest Ottoman armies were worthless or overall inefficient, only that their enemies had - many times - at least equal skills and the Ottoman military victories were - many times - achieved through outnumbering or constant campaigning (i.e. bringing almost yearly new armies - e.g. after they were defeated in 1475 in Moldavia, they came next year with an even greater army in a joint Ottoman-Tatar attack and they eventually won a battle against the Moldavians).
Back to the 1462 campaign there were several skirmishes which can be considered defeats (i.e. the night attack) and when the Sultan ended his campaign he was unsuccesful. This is the reason why this campaign echoes throughout Europe as a defeat.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 14:25

I was writing from memory. Still, I knew better than you, as you did not know that the Ottomans took Tirgoviste. As to wikipedia, I wrote that it is not my source, but you are trying to score cheap points, because such is your character. You posted a game manual as a source below, FFS!  
Actually you don't, because no source claims the Ottoman occupied (your words) Târgovişte. I said they avoided the city, and so they did. They found it deserted and they didn't occupy it (all the sources claimed they marched on).
And you used Wikipedia as a source because you consulted it and quoted it to support your point of view. That's the definition of a source.

And I didn't post a game manual "as a source", I provided it as an example for "even [...]  popularization books" . I did not use a quote or a piece of information from it to back up my argumentation. My secondary sources are Babinger, Florescu, Cazacu, and many others not mentioned so far (e.g. most of the sources I mentioned so far are from a book by Ştefan Andreescu - Vlad Ţepeş Dracula). Actually, I'm relying on monographs dedicated to Vlad III, while you draw your information from books dealing with other topics and mentioning this episode briefly and probably sometimes also inaccurately. That's probably why you misbelieved this campaign of 1462 to be against Hungary and came with other similar misinformations which fortunately you acknowledged.

Babinger is a good scholar, but he is rather dated now. Inalcik supercedes him. Having written this, what Babinger writes does not contradict what I have written.  
I don't know what you've read from Babinger, but he writes of no occupation of Târgovişte or of Radu put on the throne by Mehmed in this campaign. On the contrary, Babinger makes it quite clear that Mehmed left without enthroning Radu and that Radu won by having boyars switching sides (he gives August 1462 as a date). Consequently Babinger's account is in straight contradiction with your claims.

As for "superceding" most of the scholars I mentioned wrote quite recently and are more familiar than Inalcik with the history of Wallachia. So don't even get there ...

In your first post you have written that Mehmed had not reached Tirgoviste. Now you are saying he reached it but found nothing there. I have said this all along, Mehmed took Vlad's capital. If he left a garrison behind or not is irrelevant. Relevant point is, Vlad left his capital to the enemy and went hiding. Which, I believe, was the right thing to do.  
I didn't, I said specifically "avoided" (as in he avoided to occupy it or to enthrone Radu there or whatever). Florescu makes it clear that Vlad evacuated everything from it, the capital means administration, nobles, throne, etc. - nothing of these was left behind.

Well, that is your interpretation. My interpretation (what I call 'put Radu on the throne') is that Vlad lost his capital and retreated, Mehmed II left Radu in charge of Wallachia. Like you agree, the Boyars accepted Radu's claim to the Principality as well. As such he was installed as the ruler of Wallachia. However, he failed to stay in power and Vlad reclaimed the throne. So, the campaign was a failure for the Ottomans.  
No, that's not (only) my interpretation, that's what the sources say. No source claims Mehmed left Radu in charge of Wallachia. The sources say that Mehmed left Radu at the border of Wallachia, and his task was to win Wallachia over (by making the Vlad's subjects changing sides). He was installed as ruler of Wallachia after Mehmed's departure, being recognized by the most powerful local nobles. When Mehmed reached Edirne (early July), the ruler of Wallachia de facto and de jure was Vlad.

Well, this was only against Wallachia, you are right. However, Vlad attacked because he was allied with Hungary. Who were attacking the Ottomans in the West in Bosnia and Serbia. Mehmed II moved on to campaign in Bosnia against Hungary, but not in the same winter, but the next year and the year after that. As such it was a distraction in the greater struggle against Hungary from the Ottoman point of view. 
Mathias Corvinus was in open conflict with the Frederick III, the Holy Roman Emperor. They had an armistice prolonged until February 1461, and after a small break of hostilites in 1461 they signed another armistice until June 1462. Because of that, Mathias had a rough time to get the finances from the Hungarian Diet to open a new crusade against the Ottomans (which was openly supported by Pope Pius II). Vlad received virtually no help from the Hungarians for his actions in the winter of 1461 and in 1462. Mathias reached southern Transylvania with his army in October 1462 and after a meeting with Vlad in November he sent a small army to seize him and capture him as Vlad was heading back to Wallachia (probably to one of those castles near the Hungarian border, which he would have used as refuge). In late 1462 however there was a revolt in Vienna against the Frederick III, which gave the Hungarians some time to act on their southern borders. And the Hungarian attack in Bosnia came after Mehmed II invaded Bosnia in 1463 (which was planned for some time) and executed its last king. But this happened after the campaign from 1462.

I was mistaken about the campaign, but you are still wrong if you think Ottomans would not have moved to Edirne if they were attacking Hungary in that winter. Edirne was the main intersection where the north-south and east-west roads met. 
After Edirne, Mehmed II moved to Istanbul. Was he on a campaign or a sight-seeing tour?

Venetian and other such sources are not the best, given that they were not anywhere near the action, even the best Western scholars use only Western sources, because they either have no access to Turkish ones, or they cannot read Turkish. So they present a completely one-sided view. Having said this, read what Babinger wrote about the Night Attack, he says it was not clear it it was a victory for Vlad (using only Christian sources as well).
Actually all the scholars I'm using consider Ottoman sources. Babinger certainly did (he was even criticized for some of his reconstructions for using only Ottoman sources). Moreover, most important Turkish chronicles (e.g. Enveri, Tursun-bey) and other important Ottoman documents (from Topkapi archive or preserved in whatever other libraries) are known. In Romanian there are even editions of Turkish chronicles bounded together available for the great public (like say, an edition of Herodotus) and I assume the Romanian scholars are not an exception in their interest to have editions of the most important Ottoman documents.

Yes, Babinger wrote about the Night Attack that it was not clear if it was a victory, and I grant these doubts. My actual point is that this entire campaign does not look as an Ottoman success and you seem to agree with that. And this what it was all about, as someone before said that Vlad's tactics accomplished something - yes, they did - they prevented the Ottoman success.

Nobody said 'Mehmed left Radu in Tirgoviste', that's you putting words in people's mouths. I don't know where he left him, and it is not important. 'Dethroned' can be interpreted in different ways, and you can disagree with my interpretation (that he left Radu in charge with the support of the Boyars after he removed Vlad from his capital, is enough for me to say that Vlad was dethroned).
You said "Mehmed II occupied Wallachian capital and put Radu on the throne". I would ask to provide evidence where this enthronation ceremony took place (when Mehmed was still in Wallachia, of course, to prove your point). Now you add "he left Radu in charge with the support of the Boyars ", I ask you again for evidence that Radu was "in charge with the support of the Boyars" somewhere before July 11, when certainly Mehmed was no longer in Wallachia. The sources we have say that Radu was left at the border, so that he can lure the Wallachians to change sides. In other words, when Mehmed left Wallachia Radu was not on the throne.

This is mostly wrong. Ottomans had better quality troops (particularly Janissary infantry and Kapikulu cavalry) than most, if not all of their opponents. They surely had better artillery. They used guns. Most of their army was, of course, same quality as anyone else's (feudal cavalry). Like all great powers they lost some battles and won some battles, but it is bollocks to write things like 'they won because they outnumbered their opponent'. That shows you have no understanding of Ottoman military and campaigns. You should read newer sources rather than medieval and Romanian fantasies. 
Turkish nationalism on a rampage: Janissaries were an army of super-men, fighting against all odds and killing their adversaries in one blow.

All their adversaries in Eastern Europe used firearms of the same (or even better quality) than the Ottomans - the Hungarians, the Moldavians (at the battle of Vasuli from 1475, the Ottoman army was defeated being lured in a valley surrounded by cannons and archers). Even at the siege of the Constantinople, their biggest cannons were built by Hungarian craftsmen.

The "better Ottoman troops" failed shamfully against under-sized Hungarian or Moldavian armies. Please point out several major Ottoman military victories against these "dwarfs" where the Ottoman army was significantly smaller than the enemy's. After you'll fail to make this point, we'll see who knows better the Ottoman army and who doesn't.

And it's funny to get accused of 'Romanian nationalism' when I'm defending the Hungarian (or generally Eastern-European) military prowess.

Edited by Chilbudios - 26-Feb-2009 at 14:37
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 16:11
Turkish nationalism on a rampage: Janissaries were an army of super-men, fighting against all odds and killing their adversaries in one blow.
? And where have I claimed this? Janissaries were not invincible, but their 'quality' (your wording) as a troop type is not in dispute for this period. According to all sources, they were a disciplined, professional, standing infantry army, nobody in Eastern Europe had anything similar. Many battles were won by their actions, including those you claim 'Ottomans won by numerical superiority'. As such your claim of 'Ottoman troops were of low quality' is just typical Balkan minor fantasy. Yes, Ottomans often outnumbered the minors' and others' armies, because they were richer, had better administration, better logistics, more manpower, etc etc, but it does not mean that a. their troops were of lower quality or b. that they won the battles through numerical superiority.

Also, never believe any number on the Ottoman army which does not take into account studies of the archives. We have a good idea of their army sizes today. Few of the older sources, and practically none of the contemporary sources know these. The numbers show that the armies were of similar size in most of Ottomans' most spectacular victories before the 16th century. To give you an idea, during Suleyman the Magnificent's time there were 90000 feudal sipahi in the Empire, and at most 70% of those were mobilised for campaigns. Plus the Kapikulu (about 10000 max) plus the vassals and other troops, it is clear that the greatest army they fielded was about 100000. In Mehmed II's time, these numbers were much lower. As I have written, greatest army he fielded was about 70000, after serious mobilisation, against Uzun Hasan (not some minor like Vlad or Stefan).  

If you read Christian sources, however, they regularly talk about Ottoman armies of 100000, 200000, even 300000, and raids that resulted in 20000 Ottoman dead, 10000 Ottomans killed for 1000 Christian dead etc... So every year Skanderbeg kills 20000 Ottoman troops and Dracula kills 20000 Ottomans and Hungarians kill 20000 troops and the next year they Ottomans invade with 200000 new troops... Nationalists from Balkan minors can't see the absurdity of the greater picture, because they don't know about what's going on in other countries, and they expect us to believe that the Ottomans are positively cloning people in Constantinople and spamming them into Europe every year, given that their population actually was quite low in that century...

All their adversaries in Eastern Europe used firearms of the same (or even better quality) than the Ottomans - the Hungarians, the Moldavians (at the battle of Vasuli from 1475, the Ottoman army was defeated being lured in a valley surrounded by cannons and archers). Even at the siege of the Constantinople, their biggest cannons were built by Hungarian craftsmen.
Ottoman cannons were not 'built by Hungarian craftsmen'. One craftsman, probably of  Hungarian origin, was involved. Btw, that does not mean that Hungarians had bombards of similar calibre, they did not. Unless you believe that Hungary had hydrogen bombs because Edward Teller, who led the team that built the American H-bomb was Hungarian as well...

Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that Hungarians had good artillery or guns, they had, especially in the 14th century. However, Wallachians and other Principalities, also other Balkan minors, and surely other Eastern Europeans such as the Polish and the Cossacks were way behind the Ottomans in gunpowder usage. So what you have written 'all their adversaries in Eastern Europe had used firearms of same or better quality than the Ottomans' is absolute bollocks. Only Hungary was comparable, and they were surpassed quickly in quality and quantity by the Ottomans. Read about Mohacs.

The "better Ottoman troops" failed shamfully against under-sized Hungarian or Moldavian armies. Please point out several major Ottoman military victories against these "dwarfs" where the Ottoman army was significantly smaller than the enemy's. After you'll fail to make this point, we'll see who knows better the Ottoman army and who doesn't.
Wars are not like the games that you use as historical sources. They are unpredictible, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. There is no 'shame' involved in history for me. But 
if I were a Romanian emotional with nationalist fervour, like you, I would know what shame is, as your land knows it well... 

Anyway, I have no more interest in discussing Ottoman military with you because I know the Romanians are rather tender about that issue. I'll just point out that when discussing the Ottomans you should make a distinction between an army led by a Pasha (a local army) and the Imperial Army led by the Emperor. As a general rule, minors such as yours defeated the first now and then, but they were crushed by the second, or often surrendered without a fight or resorted to guerilla tactics. 

Hungary was a serious enemy, which was far more stronger than the Ottomans before 1350 (Ottomans started roughly the size of Cyprus, far smaller than any Principality in 1300, by 1350, they were similar in size to the Principalities), but was totally destroyed by the Ottomans in 200 years, Ottoman superiority is quite obvious there. Principalities, however, were not serious enemies. More like a nuisance. I see no reason to devote any more of my time to a side issue to indulge your fantasies.

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 26-Feb-2009 at 16:16
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 17:21
Chilbudios, I reported only the elite ottoman soldiers. Ofcousre as a much more complex army than the european armies ottomans had also used irregulars. One of this is the akıncıs. Seasonally they attacked  the neighboors of the empire. Azaps were the irregular infantry but their quality must be same as the peasant balkan armies(Similar type soldiers in equipment and discipline). In conclusion I think a comparison is illogical and out of the subject  
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 13:34

And where have I claimed this? Janissaries were not invincible, but their 'quality' (your wording) as a troop type is not in dispute for this period. According to all sources, they were a disciplined, professional, standing infantry army, nobody in Eastern Europe had anything similar.
Most states (even those "minor" ones) in Eastern Europe had a body of disciplined, professional, standing army (sometimes smaller, sometimes larger).

Many battles were won by their actions, including those you claim 'Ottomans won by numerical superiority'. As such your claim of 'Ottoman troops were of low quality' is just typical Balkan minor fantasy.
And who said the Ottoman troops were of low quality? I said specifically "I don't want to suggest Ottoman armies were worthless or overall inefficient, only that their enemies had - many times - at least equal skills". In such conditions, the trump of the Ottomans was in their numbers.
Usually the janissaries were used with good care, as most elite troops were. Many battles were won by exhausting the enemy with the irregulars (like that report of Domenico Balbo was pointout about the high losses of azaps at the siege of Kiliya or take the siege of Constantinople where the first waves of attackers were those of irregulars exhausting the defenders and the janissaries attacked afterwards; even at Mohács, a battle you mentioned, the janissary charge came after the Hungarian army was already engaged with the Ottoman irregulars). That these elite troops were used for decissive blows it doesn't mean they were ab initio superior to the already exhausted/engaged enemy troops.

Yes, Ottomans often outnumbered the minors' and others' armies, because they were richer, had better administration, better logistics, more manpower, etc etc, but it does not mean that a. their troops were of lower quality or b. that they won the battles through numerical superiority.
Of course it doesn't, but then you have to provide evidence where Ottoman soldiers proved their individual skills. I can provide many examples to the contrary, where Eastern European armies defeated Ottoman armies against odds. Because of the genius of a military commander, because of some elite troops they had, you can't tell me every time it was only a matter of chance. If Ottomans military had a sustained military superiority which was not just that of numbers, I'm sure you can prove it with examples. So far I see only rhetoric and inaccuracies from your side.

Also, never believe any number on the Ottoman army which does not take into account studies of the archives. We have a good idea of their army sizes today. Few of the older sources, and practically none of the contemporary sources know these. The numbers show that the armies were of similar size in most of Ottomans' most spectacular victories before the 16th century. To give you an idea, during Suleyman the Magnificent's time there were 90000 feudal sipahi in the Empire, and at most 70% of those were mobilised for campaigns. Plus the Kapikulu (about 10000 max) plus the vassals and other troops, it is clear that the greatest army they fielded was about 100000. In Mehmed II's time, these numbers were much lower. As I have written, greatest army he fielded was about 70000, after serious mobilisation, against Uzun Hasan (not some minor like Vlad or Stefan). 
That's Turkish nationalistic agenda if anything. The Ottoman army was not composed only of sipahi and janissaries (the bulk of the infantery was of azaps, not of janissaries, so when you estimate its size or its efficiency make sure you take that in account) and talking of archives, it was Mehmed himself who said he raised 15 tumens against Vlad (probably a hyperbole, but certainly he had an army greater than Vlad's). Most of the estimations for the siege of Constantinople start usually from 80,000 upwards (e.g. Donald Nicol gives 80,000-200,000) and we know these numbers contained a large number of irregulars used to storm the walls. And then we have the testimony of Chalcocondyles saying that in 1462 it was the largest army Mehmed summoned after the siege of Constantinople.
As for Uzun Hasan and Stephen, Stephen reigned more than the former and defeated the Ottomans in worse ways. Considering overall in military encounters Stephen was rather victorious, that he reigned 47 years on the throne, that Mehmed II failed to subdue Moldavia, we must either consider him a not so minor prince, or that Ottoman army was a bunch of clowns unable to defeat a minor opponent.

If you read Christian sources, however, they regularly talk about Ottoman armies of 100000, 200000, even 300000, and raids that resulted in 20000 Ottoman dead, 10000 Ottomans killed for 1000 Christian dead etc... So every year Skanderbeg kills 20000 Ottoman troops and Dracula kills 20000 Ottomans and Hungarians kill 20000 troops and the next year they Ottomans invade with 200000 new troops... Nationalists from Balkan minors can't see the absurdity of the greater picture, because they don't know about what's going on in other countries, and they expect us to believe that the Ottomans are positively cloning people in Constantinople and spamming them into Europe every year, given that their population actually was quite low in that century...
For the 1462 campaign:
Tursun-bey in his chronicle: 30 tumens = 300,000
Mehmed II himself: 15 tumens = 150,000
An Italian ambassador at Buda = 60,000
The Christian source is more conservative.

You naively believe the Ottoman army was bred in Constantinople. Considering the huge population of the Ottoman Empire, I don't see any absurdity in having tens of thousands of soldiers dead (mostly irregulars). That's my point, they could afford such spendings, they were campaigning on yearly basis, regardless of losses. Many of their enemies couldn't afford that.

Ottoman cannons were not 'built by Hungarian craftsmen'. One craftsman, probably of  Hungarian origin, was involved. Btw, that does not mean that Hungarians had bombards of similar calibre, they did not. Unless you believe that Hungary had hydrogen bombs because Edward Teller, who led the team that built the American H-bomb was Hungarian as well...
Yes, in the siege of Constantinople (which I also mentioned) we know of only one named craftsman, probably of Hungarian origin (if he was not Hungarian, he was German or Slovak or something like that, anyway, not a Turk). But we know that Ottoman artillery was copied mostly after European one and that (at least) the first gun-founders were Europeans. We know the models and we even know the names. For instance, the Ottoman şakaloz is nothing but a version of the contemporary Hungarian szakállas puska (basically a hand-gun). Bacaluşka is nothing but a version of a well-known European cannon, the basilisk. Certainly the Ottomans developed their own gun-foundries, and that eventually they learned the art of gun-making, but the European influence and gun-makers were instrumental, and it's of little doubt that the Europeans had artillery and hand-guns of the same if not even better quality.
Actually some already argued that the Ottoman military technology, not only that was copying, was also of inferior quality. For instance, the military historian Geoffrey Parker famously (in his book The Military Revolutions, published in the 1980s) said of Ottomans they were "expert in imitating, but poor in innovating" (approximative quote). He also argued that Ottoman metallurgy was of inferior quality, so that many cannons captured by the Europeans were unusable by the military standards of the era. IIRC he mentions an episode after the battle of Lepanto (1571), when the cannons captured by Venetians had to be melted and recasted because the metal was of poor quality. And Lepanto was just few years after the reign of Suleiman Kanuni, a period considered the apogee of the Ottoman Empire.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that Hungarians had good artillery or guns, they had, especially in the 14th century. However, Wallachians and other Principalities, also other Balkan minors, and surely other Eastern Europeans such as the Polish and the Cossacks were way behind the Ottomans in gunpowder usage. So what you have written 'all their adversaries in Eastern Europe had used firearms of same or better quality than the Ottomans' is absolute bollocks. Only Hungary was comparable, and they were surpassed quickly in quality and quantity by the Ottomans. Read about Mohacs.
I stand by my previous claim. In the aforementioned battle of Vaslui, the Moldavian artillery, hand-gunners but also archers wreaked havoc (even the Ottoman chronicles admit that, Kemal Pashazade noted that because of the Moldavian fire the Ottoman soldiers had difficulties to engage their enemies in close combat) in the advancing Ottoman army (with firearms of its own). That was a battle where many Ottoman soldiers were killed or captured, four pashas died and most banners lost (some thirty or so were sent to the Polish king as trophy).
In the campaigns of John Hunyadi, the Hungarian fire power brought streaks of victories for the Hungarians. Even the siege of Belgrade (where Ottomans had the cannons on positions) the Hungarian cannons and guns were instrmental in achieving the victory. Hunyadi is also famous for using cannons fixed on wagons for greater mobility (the Hussite way). Even when Hunyadi lost battles (like Varna or Kosovopolje) his gunmen caused much damage to Ottoman army (a fact admitted even by Ottoman chroniclers, for instance, Orudj bin Adil describing the Kosovopolje battle mentions that "from the wagons they shot with cannons and guns, and that caused the deaths of many soldiers"). And these are 15th (not 14th) century events!

Probably you know nothing about the use of firearms in the era. Because if you would, Ottoman technology is not impressive by any means. The battle of Mohács was a open-field battle where the Hungarian forces were severely outnumbered and also became outflanked. I don't see how they could have won that battle.

Edited by Chilbudios - 27-Feb-2009 at 14:19
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 14:51

Wars are not like the games that you use as historical sources. They are unpredictible, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. There is no 'shame' involved in history for me. But
if I were a Romanian emotional with nationalist fervour, like you, I would know what shame is, as your land knows it well...
That's your excuse, yes, there's an amount of chance in wars, but when the insuccesses come in a row, then it's no more chance. One defeat may be unpredictable, defeats in a row is a shame, especially when the superiority manifests (or it is claimed) on all accounts.

As for nationalism, let's not even get there. Now the discussion is mainly Ottomans vs Eastern Europeans. I don't see how can I be nationalist by praising Hungarian military achievements or of any Eastern European (not necessarily Romanian). At the same time, you have a obviously biased and nationalistic discourse blaimng the "European chroniclers" for distorting the facts and considering all "Eastern Europeans" (sometimes Hungarians excepted) "minors" (compared with your beloved Ottomans). Your problem with me is that I am criticizing the Ottoman magnificence, the most glorious times of your nation.

Let's note also the hypocrisy (shame or no shame?): "There is no 'shame' involved in history" vs "if I were a Romanian emotional with nationalist fervour, like you, I would know what shame is, as your land knows it well". If you indulge in rhetorics, at least try a more consistent discourse.

Anyway, I have no more interest in discussing Ottoman military with you because I know the Romanians are rather tender about that issue. I'll just point out that when discussing the Ottomans you should make a distinction between an army led by a Pasha (a local army) and the Imperial Army led by the Emperor. As a general rule, minors such as yours defeated the first now and then, but they were crushed by the second, or often surrendered without a fight or resorted to guerilla tactics.
These "minors" defeated entire armies, not merely "rows". But someone not even knowing the dates and the location of Ottoman campaigns, what he could know of even more subtle details?

Hungary was a serious enemy, which was far more stronger than the Ottomans before 1350 (Ottomans started roughly the size of Cyprus, far smaller than any Principality in 1300, by 1350, they were similar in size to the Principalities), but was totally destroyed by the Ottomans in 200 years, Ottoman superiority is quite obvious there. Principalities, however, were not serious enemies. More like a nuisance. I see no reason to devote any more of my time to a side issue to indulge your fantasies.

In 1299, the Principalities were not even in existence. In ~1350 both principalities (if Moldavian principality even existed, its first years are rather legendary) were smaller than the ones you know from history maps. With such a poor grasp over southeastern Europe's history, I don't see what you have to say.
The Kingdom of Hungary was not "totally destroyed by the Ottomans in 200 years". Let's put this in the right perspective. It took almost 200 years for Ottomans to conquer Belgrade (one fortification), the so-called "key of the Hungarian defense". As for Mohács, that's one mostly mythology in many Turkish minds. The Hungarian armies defeated there were not even half of what the Hungarian kindgom could summon on the battleflied. After the death of Mathias Corvinus (1490), Hungary was torn by internal unrest and civil wars. The kings lost their authority to the greater nobles and thus, considering this weakness, the Ottomans restarted raiding the southernmost borders in the 1510s. A crusade project turned into the popular revolt led by György Dózsa. In 1526, the Hungarian king lacking the support of many of its nobles (especially the lesser ones) raised that army to confront the Ottomans. The Transylvanian voivod, John Zápolya did not send any help (refused or avoided to do so). As such at Mohács, the Hungarian armies had nothing to do to prevent defeat, being severely outnumbered.
After the battle and the death of the Hungarian king, the crown remained disputed by Ferdinand of Habsburg (claiming also the north-western parts of Hungary) and Zápolya. And it will be an almost century long stuggle between two factions, the latter often asking for Ottoman support to oppose the Habsburgs. Ottomans will take their part in this game, and also a share of Hungary, but without ever owning it entirely nor "totally destroying it" as ignorant or propagandistic accounts would claim. Eventually the pro-Habsburg faction prevailed.
And also Hungary along 15th and early 16th century had outstanding enemies besides the Ottomans: the Habsburgs, the Polish crown. It was torn apart by its internal divergences and its external enemies, not "totally destroyed by the Ottomans".

As for the Principalities, it took centuries for Ottomans to subdue them, and even so, their domination was not complete, they were never provinces, and from time to time their princes rebelled, sided with the new powers (Austria, Russia). They were "minor" in an European persepctive filtering out the most important actors, they were not so minor as buffer states which could never been fully incorporated into the Empire and they were important cards in the Southeastern European games, games which the Ottomans eventually lost.

Edited by Chilbudios - 27-Feb-2009 at 14:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>