Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future of War?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of War?
    Posted: 31-Dec-2008 at 16:40
Originally posted by IDonT

Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

The United States and Russia are growing further and further apart. It will start when the rubber band between the two ends breaks. 

I doubt it.  Russia is not as powerful at it used to be.  Its system of alliance has fallen.  Its military a shell of its high point in the 80's.

The Russia of 1989's could wipe the floor of the Russia of 2009

Neither is the United States. It borrows all of its money from China to pay for weapons.
What is the officer problem?
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 19:52

[QUOTE=IDonT]
Neither is the United States. It borrows all of its money from China to pay for weapons.

The US debt stands at around 12 Trillion dollars.  About 1 Trillion is held in China.  Where is the other 11 Trillion from? 

Answer:  The US.  The majority of US debt is held in the U.S.

Despite of the current economic downturn, the US economy of 2008 is still larger the US economy of 1988. 

In military terms, the network centric US military of 2008 is much better than they were in 1988. 

Edited by IDonT - 02-Jan-2009 at 19:59
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 19:57

China's people are going to revolt in the near future. There won't be a country left.

Please provide reasons for your opinions.  Why won't there be a country left.  If the Communist party fell, China would still be around.  Or do you think the Communist Party is China. 
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 03:43
They promised a certain growth this year, and they did not get it. Many Chinese are angry with this.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 17:01

They promised a certain growth this year, and they did not get it. Many Chinese are angry with this.

If this is the case, I think that the Chinese Communist Party will still have a firm grip on China, Just that the PRC will go through an extended period of social and political crisis perhaps?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 19:13
It is extremely foolish to think that the fall of any political regime will mean the fall of a nation. Every year, countries all over the world make projections of economic growth, and most of the time they are not correct. It doesn't mean that the people are going to rise up against the government, it's just economics, the global market, commodity prices, etc etc. 

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 19:17
Maybe, maybe not. In some countries were the State is the only thing standing between anarchy or disintegration then it might very well mean the fall of the nation (I'm thinking of China in particular here... If the communist regime went overnight the whole tinderbox could very easily fall down. A billion angry peasants? Wouldn't want to pick up that tab myself)
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 21:16
Originally posted by Parnell

Maybe, maybe not. In some countries were the State is the only thing standing between anarchy or disintegration then it might very well mean the fall of the nation (I'm thinking of China in particular here... If the communist regime went overnight the whole tinderbox could very easily fall down. A billion angry peasants? Wouldn't want to pick up that tab myself)

Not to mention the geopolitical aftershocks of such a prospect.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 22:17
Originally posted by Kevin

Not to mention the geopolitical aftershocks of such a prospect.

What does that actual mean Kevin? What would that constitute? Because the descent of a nation of 1.3 or so billion people into some sort of anarchic state is something I can't see. Take Russia for example, it went into a large depression after the fall of communism but the country didn't go up in flames. Do you mean mass migration, or the emergence of rival groups vying for power? What could actual happen? I'm so very confused.

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 22:18
I just got back from my 10 day trip in China. This is how they feel.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 22:21

I just got back from my 10 day trip in China. This is how they feel.

Trying not to sound facetious here, but this is how 1.3 billion people feel, or the people you encountered on your ten day trip? There is a pretty large middle class in China that really wouldn't like to see the country falter, and that can be surprisingly stabilising. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12