Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Best Ottoman Sultan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who is your favourite Ottoman Sultan?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [26.98%]
23 [36.51%]
8 [12.70%]
1 [1.59%]
3 [4.76%]
4 [6.35%]
2 [3.17%]
1 [1.59%]
1 [1.59%]
3 [4.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Ottoman Sultan?
    Posted: 04-May-2005 at 09:35

Well he said that "the one that shall put more gold in the treasury should use their own signatures in economics.Throw mine away"

they used his symbol until the fall of the Ottomans

He was the caliph

he did this in like 8 years or so

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 15:02

8. A war between the Muslims and a reddish people with small eyes, wearing sandals made of hair (understood to refer to
the Mongol Tatar invasion of the Islamic lands.)

9. A peace agreement between the Muslims and non-Muslims from the yellow race (Chinese, Mongols, etc.)

By these commands you are insulting your own roots off course if you are a real Turk, not a converted one.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 15:13
Originally posted by HulaguHan

8. A war between the Muslims and a reddish people with small eyes, wearing sandals made of hair (understood to refer to

9. A peace agreement between the Muslims and non-Muslims from the yellow race (Chinese, Mongols, etc.)

By these commands you are insulting your own roots off course if you are a real Turk, not a converted one.

I dont understand we made war with mongols, and I dont see any problem for peacing with Chinese. And Turks are fight each other too. Should I remember you nationalist idea accepted by Turks just 100 year before?

Before it we dont care If He is Turk, Bosnian, Japan or china.

Even now I prefer a muslim china to a non-muslim Turk.

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 16:05

Number 8 and 9 are not my words. And I would not care whether people are Turk or Muslim. But if I have to chose one, of course I will prefer my blood bros, the Turks, Mongolians, whatever.

If your read Timur' s life you will see that, in his childhood, he was telling the stories of great Turkish heros to his friends. He wanted to be the successor of one of his heros Cengiz Han.

This religious seperatism of fanatic islam fundamentalists claim Mongols and some other Central Asians are pig eating yellow skinned low lifes.

Probably Gods justice, Turks got their revenge very very hard, harder than any type of a slaughter happened in this world. In the meantime, Turks were the victims of this arabic cultural imperialism. They fought against their blood for which not their blood.

I always say this. We have everything, we were hardworking, but we lacked culture. We still lack it.

"8. A war between the Muslims and a reddish people with small eyes, wearing sandals made of hair (understood to refer to

9. A peace agreement between the Muslims and non-Muslims from the yellow race (Chinese, Mongols, etc.)"

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 16:12

if I have to chose one, of course I will prefer my brothers too

Even before the islam, Turks fights with each other.

"This religious seperatism of fanatic islam fundamentalists claim Mongols and some other Central Asians are pig eating yellow skinned low lifes."

And as you know this is completly againstthe idea of islam.

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 16:17

Yes truly.

Islam is a good religion, which favored us a lot.

But fundamentalism killed us.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 17:34
well It is completly irrelevant from which religion you choose
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 17:36

LOL Bayezid I the thunderbolt

I just saw this new. It looks like realy good.

By the way, for us Suleyman the lawgiver, not magnificient. Even Magnificient sounds good, I prefer he would be remembered with his justice. Lawgiver is more fine for him!

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 01:27

The magnificy in his period was the magnificy of the Ottoman Empire,he wasn't so magnificent.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 20:34
hmmmm- it is a toss up between Suleiman I the magnificent Mehmed II the conqueror. Both were great leaders but I like the way Mehmed used technology, those huge cannons, to break down the walls of Constantinople although according to Steven Runciman he almost gave up.
I once read the biography of Sulieman the magnificent and was really impressed by him as a leader but foul weather ruined his plans to rule Austria.
The fact that 6,000 Greeks and allies stood up to Mehmed and his army of 80,000 Turkish troops and mercenaries so long speaks volumes about the Greeks desire to stay free from tyrrany. I suppose I can't vote because I just can't make up my mind, they were both great!!

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 11:30

Im obviously utterly biased against Mehmed II being a lover of Byzantine history I could never say its destroyer was great .

About his taking of Constantinoiple though, I dont see whats so great about that achievement as in the physical capturing of the city, Mehmed 10's of thousands of men (the numbers vary in some articles ive read so i wont say a precise number) with cannon and a strong fleet, against a force of 7-8 thousand greeks, genoese, catalans etc in a city that offered little protection from the bombardment the cannon would unload upon it.

Obviously the impact was massive in other ways but in the actual taking of the fortress city, there were alot more difficult places in the world to attack.

Impovorished and demoralised its little wonder Constantinople fell.

In brighter days im sure the imperial army would have marched out and sent the turkish barbarians running .

However Id have to say the best sultan was Suleiman I the magnificent.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 13:56

The fact that 6,000 Greeks and allies stood up to Mehmed and his army of 80,000 Turkish troops and mercenaries so long speaks volumes about the Greeks desire to stay free from tyrrany.

Oh yeah, the Ottomans are oppressive tyrants whereas the Byzantine Empire was a direct democracy, where everyone was free. That's why they lost, when Turks were attacking they were holding a referandum on joining the EU...  

Im obviously utterly biased against Mehmed II being a lover of Byzantine history I could never say its destroyer was great .

Mehmed II made the city great again. He could have destroyed the city if he wanted to, like the Latins did, but he had other designs.  He resurrected the Empire. And he did this on purpose. He respected the Romans more than any other Emperor. He didn't want to destroy the Empire, he wanted to claim the Roman throne for himself. So if you like what Byzantium stands for (except Orthodox christianity), I think you can reconsider your choice, it is unfair for Mehmed II.

As to his cannon, it was a prototype. It wasn't very effective. Constantinople was the best defended city on the whole goddam planet. He had a fleet, but they couldn't enter the Golden Horn (he had them carried over hills to get there). It wasn't that easy, if it was, other would have done it long before.   

He, by the way, was the best Sultan.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 14:57
[/QUOTE]

Mehmed II made the city great again. He could have destroyed the city if he wanted to, like the Latins did, but he had other designs.  He resurrected the Empire. And he did this on purpose. He respected the Romans more than any other Emperor. He didn't want to destroy the Empire, he wanted to claim the Roman throne for himself. So if you like what Byzantium stands for (except Orthodox christianity), I think you can reconsider your choice, it is unfair for Mehmed II.

As to his cannon, it was a prototype. It wasn't very effective. Constantinople was the best defended city on the whole goddam planet. He had a fleet, but they couldn't enter the Golden Horn (he had them carried over hills to get there). It wasn't that easy, if it was, other would have done it long before.   

He, by the way, was the best Sultan. [/QUOTE]

Im not saying Mehmed didnt rebuild the city, im saying being a student of Byzantine History its naturally painful for me at the point were that history ended.

The city was vastly more formidable long before 1453, the fleet was in mass disrepair and was a shadow of its former self, the army if you can call it that was mercenaries and generally wasnt of the quality that would befit an empire, it wasnt a walk in the park, sieges very rarely are, but it was hardly a long siege and really by the standards of some sieges a quick one.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
countrymercury View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote countrymercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 05:28
The biggest Emperor in ottoman  is Abdulhamit Han . He managed to keep the country for 31 years whiile there were no faith in his people for futures. He succeed against every one even his vezir
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123