Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How come europeans don't do american football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How come europeans don't do american football?
    Posted: 05-Jul-2013 at 17:47
Every time I switch a TV on in the US I am inevitably astounded at just how often and lengthy the breaks for advertisements are. Even my teenage daughter, who has long managed to conceal her thoughts, opinions and attitudes from me( presumably on the basis of the less I know about her, the easier it will to run rings around me ! ) when in the USA,  has been known to throw things at the TV in anger and frustration.  Of course, with all of that money accruing from advertising, the TV companies should be able to produce quality TV material , and there are signs that this is so, ergo The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire,
The Wire et al, but what good is that when the damn programmes are interrupted every five minutes for
a ten minute commercial break !
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 00:28
Europeans don't play football but they are wired to commercials(advertisment) also.We are all consumer's societies.We are wired.Wink
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 01:15
Don't go getting snotty about TV ads. and sporting events, you lads have it topped with those damned computerized sideboards.  Combine those with those horns and watching a European soccer match is like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer,  because it feels so good when you stop. Big smile

But face it, pro sports is driven by one thing, Money, Zonia, Bucks, the almighty dollar.  And don;t look now but, the Gods of sports are gathering, meaning Man. United  has been bought out by the same folks who own 2 NFL teams, and they are working with the Patriots owner to establish NFL teams in the UK and Europe, all with the nod of the NFL.  As we here now have Major League Soccer, so shall you have the National Football League.   Wink Bet on it.  So get ready for the onslaught of mindless TV ads, or do what most of us do, and for a few bucks extra on your cable bill, get what they call "Season Ticket".  Few if any ads, and you get access to all games being played.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 01:35
Originally posted by Marlin47

Not for nothing is soccer known as the Beautiful Game. It is fluid, free flowing and largely unstructured.
It gives great opportunities for individual and highly advanced skills, as well as, at the same time, being founded on great teamwork.  Players may head the ball and perform such stunts of footballing as to take the breath away.  Rugby, on the other hand, offers much the same, but with acceptable limits of muscular brutality and sheer physical strength.  Only Roman gladiators have ever come so close.

On the other hand, American football seems contrived and regimented to within an Ace of being so pre planned to the extent that only occasionally, and more by dint of luck or chance, does it achieve anything
admirable and worthy of respect......and even then that is largely because of bone crunching playing more worthy of the wrestlers ring than a truly great sport.

Not only that, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't American football sub divided into playing sections that accord with the sponsors need to cram as much advertising into the length of the game as possible ?  If so, then just how true to itself is that ?  It ain't. It's organisers have sold it down the river 
for the sake of selling more dog food, women's sanitary products and mouthwash !

Not only does this show a total lack of understanding of the game[ and have never seen one live or even even not at all],
It's also a very clumsy attempt at Flame baiting, and considering you don't really have a clue as to the subject, consider this an unofficial warning.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 01:36
Originally posted by medenaywe

Europeans don't play football but they are wired to commercials(advertisment) also.We are all consumer's societies.We are wired.Wink

Hiya buddy,

Erm. " Europeans don't play football ? ".   Not as the Americanos do, perhaps, but then who else does ?
Although I think that the Mexicans might, but even then doubtless only as a distraction to that noble national characteristic of drug dealing on a massive scale.Sleepy
Nope, us Euros will just content ourselves with the primitiveness of kicking seven buckets of shite out of a pigs bladder for a virtually uninterrupted ninety minutes. Feral and savage, of course, but much less so than American football, and, strangely enough, infinitely more skilled and eminently more satisfying.

Oh yeah, and whilst we are on the subject, and talking about national sports, and putting to one side it was the British ( Scots ) who invented golf and soccer, it has now been incontrovertibly established by hard evidence that it was the British ( English ) who invented baseball.  

So, what other sport might you guys have actually invented and not hijacked from the Brits ?    Well, when in Cody, Wyoming, I once saw two drunken cowhands each start off with a mouthful of each end of a length of buffalo gut in their mouths and then to try desperately and drunkenly to swallow enough to be first in getting to a large knot tied in the middle. Yep, I guess that'd be a sport you could reasonably lay claim to originating. But then again, you could hardly promote it on a grand scale, ' cos didnt you shoot all of the buggers 150 years ago ?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 01:42

Originally posted by medenaywe

Hiya buddy,

Erm. " Europeans don't play football ? ".   Not as the Americanos do, perhaps, but then who else does ?
Although I think that the Mexicans might, but even then doubtless only as a distraction to that noble national characteristic of drug dealing on a massive scale.Sleepy
Nope, us Euros will just content ourselves with the primitiveness of kicking seven buckets of shite out of a pigs bladder for a virtually uninterrupted ninety minutes. Feral and savage, of course, but much less so than American football, and, strangely enough, infinitely more skilled and eminently more satisfying.

Oh yeah, and whilst we are on the subject, and talking about national sports, and putting to one side it was the British ( Scots ) who invented golf and soccer, it has now been incontrovertibly established by hard evidence that it was the British ( English ) who invented baseball.  

So, what other sport might you guys have actually invented and not hijacked from the Brits ?    Well, when in Cody, Wyoming, I once saw two drunken cowhands each start off with a mouthful of each end of a length of buffalo gut in their mouths and then to try desperately and drunkenly to swallow enough to be first in getting to a large knot tied in the middle. Yep, I guess that'd be a sport you could reasonably lay claim to originating. But then again, you could hardly promote it on a grand scale, ' cos didnt you shoot all of the buggers 150 years ago ?

You can change that to an official warning.

Next step is a couple weeks off. 

Unknown.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 01:51
Apologies, amigo. Put it down to a difference in senses of humour ; a well known and occasionally misunderstood trait between those of us who live on either side of the pond !

PS. I'm hugely impressed with your ability to instantly moderate.  I hope I didn't interrupt your breakfast/lunch/dinner !
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 02:01
Originally posted by red clay

Not for nothing is soccer known as the Beautiful Game. It is fluid, free flowing and largely unstructured.
It gives great opportunities for individual and highly advanced skills, as well as, at the same time, being founded on great teamwork.  Players may head the ball and perform such stunts of footballing as to take the breath away.  Rugby, on the other hand, offers much the same, but with acceptable limits of muscular brutality and sheer physical strength.  Only Roman gladiators have ever come so close.

On the other hand, American football seems contrived and regimented to within an Ace of being so pre planned to the extent that only occasionally, and more by dint of luck or chance, does it achieve anything
admirable and worthy of respect......and even then that is largely because of bone crunching playing more worthy of the wrestlers ring than a truly great sport.

Not only that, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't American football sub divided into playing sections that accord with the sponsors need to cram as much advertising into the length of the game as possible ?  If so, then just how true to itself is that ?  It ain't. It's organisers have sold it down the river 
for the sake of selling more dog food, women's sanitary products and mouthwash !

Not only does this show a total lack of understanding of the game[ and have never seen one live or even even not at all],
It's also a very clumsy attempt at Flame baiting, and considering you don't really have a clue as to the subject, consider this an unofficial warning.

Oops, silly me !  When just reviewing this thread in a post mortem to see where I may have gone wrong,
I have just noticed your warning as per above.   Of course, least said soonest mended applies here, and I rather suspect that Right of Reply ( if existing at all ) is best eschewed on my part. So, thanks for your tolerance and I'll try to walk a narrower line.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 02:01
I put it down to something, but if I posted it, I'd be in violation of the CoC myself.Evil Smile

Unknown.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 11:02
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by Count Belisarius

How exactly is football corny?

I wouldn't say corny ... I think a lot of Europeans perceive American football as homoerotic and want nothing to do with it.

"Homoerotic"?  That sounds more like a European viewer problem.  Americans, on the other hand, do not riot and destroy public property if their team loses, which we Americans find lawless and totally irresponsible.   Ermm

Soccer is quite popular in America, being one of the sports of choice for kids of all ages.

America is home to a number of sports that are unique to our nation, such as basketball and baseball, not widely copied elsewhere either.  Only the Japanese are more passionate about baseball than Americans.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 15:15
Ah as if Euro's didn't love the homo-erotic. As if it's not there?

Ya Right.

Personally I blame renaissance artists like Davinci and Mike the Angelo.

Then of course there was Bronzino, Saraceni and Caravaggio.

What the world amazed I was forced to take a couple of art history classes?

BL? h/e hasn't got a thing to do with why people like or dislike American fb. Unless of course there attempting a covert agenda in support thereof.

All ya h/e people can come out now. This is the 21st ce after all.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 06-Jul-2013 at 15:17
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2013 at 01:54
Homeerotic=Men on pile,fighting for egg plant ball?SmileIt depends of your HoMo=Manful uterus.LOLI preffer Fashion&TV1000.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2013 at 14:15
Homo erotic. ?  American football ?   Nah, I don't make that connection.  In fact I so don't make it that, strive though I might, I struggle to see even the remotest of links.

Mind you, I feel that I have to say that it has now been proved irrefutably, beyond any doubt, and to the satisfaction of the relevant bodies/authorities, that baseball ( or rounders as we Brits know it ) was invented in England.   Had I have been bothered to note the sources of the relevant article in a respected British newspaper, I could quote chapter and verse, but I wasn't.  I do recall, though, that it referred to King Charles having played rounders one morning at a given date and location. The date preceding any other known reference to the game being played earlier anywhere else.     Of course, some unknown yokels on either side of the pond may well have played it earlier, but they weren't sufficiently farsighted or important enough to have their sporting activities recorded, logged or even noticed.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2013 at 23:50
Games using a stick and an object to hit have been around since there have been kids.Cool  Golf is a good example of the stick and object evolving into something more sophisticated.  Did anyone actually invent anything?  Perhaps the idea of a confined play area, for the Stick and Ball, but who invented the Stick and Ball?  Probably the purest examples of the idea still exist in urban areas.  Where it sometimes reverts to the "stick and object".  Examples- Hoseball, Halfball.

The idea that Baseball was influenced by exposure to games like rounders is most likely accurate during the very early days, but comparing the 2 is like comparing a BB gun with a howitser, Baseball being the howitser.

Unknown.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2013 at 01:45

Games using a stick and an object to hit have been around since there have been kids.Cool  Golf is a good example of the stick and object evolving into something more sophisticated.  Did anyone actually invent anything?  Perhaps the idea of a confined play area, for the Stick and Ball, but who invented the Stick and Ball?  Probably the purest examples of the idea still exist in urban areas.  Where it sometimes reverts to the "stick and object".  Examples- Hoseball, Halfball.

The idea that Baseball was influenced by exposure to games like rounders is most likely accurate during the very early days, but comparing the 2 is like comparing a BB gun with a howitser, Baseball being the howitser.

Fair enuff, amigo, fair enuff.    But when the exact circumstances of the origin of anything, in this case, baseball, are clearly established, t'would be a dereliction of duty for them not to made known.

After all, as the much admired Lt. Joe Friday would say " The facts, Ma'am, just give us the facts ! ".
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2013 at 03:32
Apropos of the numerous " stick and ball " games, as my fellow forum member so eloquently describes them,  I am reminded that squash was invented at my old almer mater, Harrow School, early in the 19th. C. , and my morning paper has just advised me that tennis was invented in England, too, being refined and polished to its present level of finesse by an English army officer, Major Walter Wingfield, albeit at his Welsh country house Nantclwyd Hall, Ruthin.

Golf was, as we all know, invented by our admirable fellow Britons, the Scots.

However, non Britons may take comfort from the fact that croquet was invented in Ireland, albeit when that country formed a part of the British Empire, and the origins of polo are disputed, with both India and Mongolia being the principal claimants, although I'm open to argument as to the use of a human head being a legitimate and acceptable replacement for a "ball ".   Needless to say, India's claim originated
at a time when it, too, was a part of the British Empire.

So what is left ?   Lacrosse, ice hockey ?  Probably not too much of British involvement there, methinks.
Had there have been so, one could reasonably assume that it would not have degenerated into the brutal
mayhem it is. After all, it ain't exactly cricket, is it ?
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2014 at 00:22

Don't go getting snotty about TV ads. and sporting events, you lads have it topped with those damned computerized sideboards.  Combine those with those horns and watching a European soccer match is like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer,  because it feels so good when you stop. Big smile

But face it, pro sports is driven by one thing, Money, Zonia, Bucks, the almighty dollar.  And don;t look now but, the Gods of sports are gathering, meaning Man. United  has been bought out by the same folks who own 2 NFL teams, and they are working with the Patriots owner to establish NFL teams in the UK and Europe, all with the nod of the NFL.  As we here now have Major League Soccer, so shall you have the National Football League.   Wink Bet on it.  So get ready for the onslaught of mindless TV ads, or do what most of us do, and for a few bucks extra on your cable bill, get what they call "Season Ticket".  Few if any ads, and you get access to all games being played.

Red:
We have a fledgling Gridiron Competition here in Australia, but our main football codes are Australian Rules Football, Soccer and both versions of Rugby, League and Union.

As I understand it, in small country towns across the US, the only local sporting teams are High School or College based, is that correct?

Do US town have local sports competitions for average adults to play in?
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2014 at 00:35
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by Count Belisarius

How exactly is football corny?

I wouldn't say corny ... I think a lot of Europeans perceive American football as homoerotic and want nothing to do with it.

America is home to a number of sports that are unique to our nation, such as basketball and baseball, not widely copied elsewhere either.  Only the Japanese are more passionate about baseball than Americans.

Boy, did you ever get it wrong, AGAIN!!

Basketball is played all across Australia, we have players in the top league, BOGUT for one. Gridiron, is gaining more support all the time. We've had several big name Australian Rules player signed by US Teams as "kickers".

Baseball is developing a following in Australia, in fact, one of your Colleges just drafted a young Australian Baseball player. But our preferred "small ball" game is Cricket.

The Japanese people are also very passionate about Soccer.

I would suggest that, perhaps, some other countrys football supporters consider Gridiron a tad slow compared to Rugby and Soccer. Perhaps they consider the routine wearing of padding and helmets to be, dare I say it, a little soft.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, if young people are out competing in whatever sport, more power to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456