Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How come europeans don't do american football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How come europeans don't do american football?
    Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 21:31
For some reasons I was fan of every German teem whenever one played in Champion League.
Bayern, Bayer, Bremen etc.

Edited by Roberts - 17-Dec-2008 at 21:31
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 21:32
89 minutes of brilliant football, among the best I had ever seen - then they go and blow it in 3 minutes. I swear when Manure scored that second goal I fell on my knees in tears.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 21:36
Originally posted by xristar

es_bih, if it makes you feel any better, I also felt the same way with you. I have never been a Bayern fan, but man i was annoyed back then. I hated (and still despise) Manchester United.

It does Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 21:37
I actually grew up (through elementary school) minutes from their training camp, and half an hour away from Olympia Stadium. Never liked 1860 Munich though. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 21:40
Back then when Mehmet Scholl Thumbs%20Up was selling the most Jersey's in Germany Cool

Edited by es_bih - 17-Dec-2008 at 21:40
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 03:02
Canada has the CFL
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 03:19
Originally posted by Goblin Monkey

Canada has the CFL

And Canada wasn't geographically located in Europe last time I checked either. Big%20smile
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 17:01
Originally posted by es_bih

I actually grew up (through elementary school) minutes from their training camp, and half an hour away from Olympia Stadium. Never liked 1860 Munich though. 

but that's the REAL Munich and actually most people from Munich do support them, not Bayern München.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 18:28
Originally posted by Temujin

but that's the REAL Munich and actually most people from Munich do support them, not Bayern München.

Most of the people I know support Bayern :).
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 20:06
Bayern is one of only few Clubs which draws from a German-wide fanbase, other notables include Schalke and Dortmund, Bremen maybe too, probably Hoffenheim in future. nevertheless in Munich itself, 1860 is the club of choice.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 20:28
Originally posted by Temujin

Bayern is one of only few Clubs which draws from a German-wide fanbase, other notables include Schalke and Dortmund, Bremen maybe too, probably Hoffenheim in future. nevertheless in Munich itself, 1860 is the club of choice.

Like I said. Not in the ensamble of people from Munich I know. However, yes I agree a majority do support 1860.
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 00:31

Originally posted by Goblin Monkey

Canada has the CFL

And Canada wasn't geographically located in Europe last time I checked either. Big%20smile

Well I know THAT!But it is a diffrent country with american football.
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 01:09
Yes bordering the US and not in Europe. 
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 04:00
Because football is the beautiful game Big smile fast, flowing and so very passionate, plus its not a game just for a certain social class ie its hard for less well off people to get into tennis, polo  etc because they need special expensive equipments and areas in which to play. However, for football all you need is a ball and a flat bit of land, we still make goals from t-shirts or coats in the park if the goals are occupied LOL
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 11:53
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Why don't people in europe (and any other non USA country for that matter) play american football? play nicely now I'm not trying to start a fight or anything I'm just curious as to how come people in europe don't do football, and if you would like to see an amercan style pro or college football league come to be or not?
Thats because Europe has enough of its own sports that way better and more acceptable internationally.

Base ball is good to play but i wouldn't watch it and American football is for sissy's any way. Watch a good rugby match with the South Africans involved and see what rough is like. Before they lightened up Rugby league over here, back in the day, ive heard of players continuing the game with broken bones. No helmets, constant breaks, shoulder pads or tights.

just from Rugby league (played in two states in Aus)
http://www.youtube.com

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

A better question is why don't Americans play Cricket? Apparently the first ever international game was played between the US & Canada.
Cricket sucksSmile

Edited by Leonidas - 20-Feb-2009 at 14:30
Dacian View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 00:40
for starts I'm from Europe and have had the opportunity to see a NFL game live
it was in New Orleans last year, Vikings vs Saints

there is that much show and introduction that looks more important then the game itself

TV commercials have more priority than the game itself

game is too fragmentated and even though the line changes are done fast still there is a wait of 2-3 mins for TV commercials to finish

what I see really important in a game (any game) is that it has to be fluid, to flow
(look at european football when there is a fragmetned game it sucks, when it is flowing fast from one side to the other everybody is happy)

than again shorten the damn commercials time and increase the price for the adds, you get the same revenue and it will help the game alot to reach a more fluid state

I mean it is really frustrating to stay for 4-5 hrs in a stadium(since the first second of the game) and only see 1hr of effective game
that is what definately killed my interest

game has potential but its being strangled by this fragmentation

common sense says that the game should have higher priority over the commercial...well this rule is way out on the window and it's not good at all I'd say

thats about the summary from first hand experience

Edited by Dacian - 30-Mar-2009 at 00:41
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2009 at 05:19
How come the Europeans don't do American Football?

Last time I checked, there was a european football league, but with Austria and Germany owning every time Tongue. But it's true, Football (amer.) isn't as popular in Europe as Rugby is in America. 

In my opinion, American Football is a great sport. But you really have to understand and 'feel' it to enjoy it. Unless there's a team you're rooting for, watching a game can really become a drag. To the people that say rugby is tougher, i have to agree with you..rugby is more centered around stamina, endurance, and big hits. Football has more to do with plays, strategy, and formations, which gives it a more structured (or sometimes a fragmented) type of gameplay. 

But on a different note..Go Patriots! 
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

dadan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote dadan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2009 at 18:49
maybe becaue we have rugby.
Because football alludes to just that foot and ball. Thus football being what is here called soccer. Plus it is much more intense and personal. No time outs every fifteen seconds, two 45 minute halves, no pampering

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 17:47
Not for nothing is soccer known as the Beautiful Game. It is fluid, free flowing and largely unstructured.
It gives great opportunities for individual and highly advanced skills, as well as, at the same time, being founded on great teamwork.  Players may head the ball and perform such stunts of footballing as to take the breath away.  Rugby, on the other hand, offers much the same, but with acceptable limits of muscular brutality and sheer physical strength.  Only Roman gladiators have ever come so close.

On the other hand, American football seems contrived and regimented to within an Ace of being so pre planned to the extent that only occasionally, and more by dint of luck or chance, does it achieve anything
admirable and worthy of respect......and even then that is largely because of bone crunching playing more worthy of the wrestlers ring than a truly great sport.

Not only that, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't American football sub divided into playing sections that accord with the sponsors need to cram as much advertising into the length of the game as possible ?  If so, then just how true to itself is that ?  It ain't. It's organisers have sold it down the river 
for the sake of selling more dog food, women's sanitary products and mouthwash !
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2013 at 16:57
Originally posted by Marlin47

Not only that, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't American football sub divided into playing sections that accord with the sponsors need to cram as much advertising into the length of the game as possible ?  If so, then just how true to itself is that ?  It ain't. It's organisers have sold it down the river 
for the sake of selling more dog food, women's sanitary products and mouthwash !

I believe the term is, TV commercials with sporting breaks.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>