Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medievalists.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medievalists.net
    Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 15:49
While I will try to view your site, I tend to agree with;
Aster Thrax Eupator, as to the justification of this designation. IE, prior to 1000 CE, there seems to be very little if any real information (real means original documents, and facts) concerning what many people of learning have, (nnot "originally") called this period after the fall of Western Rome, as the "Dark Ages!" Ase regards "Dark Ages" all of the ancient societies have them! Greece, Egypt, Syria / Assyria, Mesopatomia, Iran, etc. You sometimes have to recognize them in the literature called, "interregnums" or "intermediate periods!"

A historian, who is mostly unknown to the Western world today, with the name of Ferdinand Gregorovius, repeatedly belated the lack of real documents concerning the times before 1200 CE, etc. This was a man who really entered the dusty, moldy, rat infested holes there were called the "libraries" of Southern Europe. Mostly he found decay and very little of importance!

He actually wrote two series of epic books, one concerning the "History of Rome in the Middle Ages", and the other "The history of Athens during the Middle Ages!"

Unfortunately, for me at least, his histories or mostly only found in German and maybe Italian or Russian.

These books are even "infrequently" referred to by later scholars! Why?

Even the history of the Spanish "Catalan Company" and surrounding Iberian events, was only translated into English by a woman who was called or mayve named "Goodenough!" I would tend to support that the origin of this name is Slavic and might more correctly be "Gudenov!", or some variation thereof!

Edited by opuslola - 01-Oct-2009 at 16:00
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
caocao View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote caocao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 18:44
History of the City of Rome in the Middle Ages is available in an English translation - you can find it at http://www.italicapress.com/index165.html 
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2009 at 03:27
History of the City of Rome in the Middle Ages is available in an English translation - you can find it at http://www.italicapress.com/index165.html

Many thanks for the information! I certainly wonder why his Athens work has been ignored for so long?

After a quick look, I had better start saving my dollars! chuckle

Edited by opuslola - 02-Oct-2009 at 03:37
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2009 at 15:52
We just added a special feature: Top Ten Medieval News Stories from 2009

The year 2009 saw many new discoveries about the Middle Ages, and its share of stories that were important to anyone interested in the medieval period. Medievalists.net has chosen its top ten medieval news stories for 2009. They include several archaeological discoveries, some excellent research by scholars, and a couple of disasters that have damaged medieval Europe’s heritage. You can see them at: http://www.medievalists.net/2009/12/23/top-ten-medieval-news-for-2009/

Edited by Orderic Vitalis - 23-Dec-2009 at 15:53
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2010 at 14:10
Love this site. A lot of good articles! Way to go!
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2010 at 12:52
Thanks - we update the sites everyday - in fact usually three or four items a day.  We have done a few features, like one about UNESCO Heritage Sites and the Clopton Charter. We have also have

Youtube page - we post book reviews and interviews - we just did interviews with Guy Gavriel Kay and Jack Whyte

Medieval News - blog we update daily - usually 2-3 times a day with news about all things medieval

We also have started two new websites:

- they both offer articles, videos, news and more about ancient history and England's history from the 1500s to 1900s.   

Overall, we are doing really well and building up a lot of content.
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2012 at 12:40
This is a site well worth looking at.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Bonde20 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bonde20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 05:25
Thank you for letting us know about this site. :) As I am researching the Middle Ages this site could be usefull for me. I am wondering if there exists any great discussion forums on the internet focusing on the Middle Ages?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12