Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Out in the Arizona desert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out in the Arizona desert
    Posted: 11-Dec-2008 at 17:47
I am visiting my older brother for holiday or vacation which is way out in the desert about 45 minutes from Tucson. Boy, in its own way, the desert here is really beautiful. It is not totally barren like Death Valley and there are a lot of large mesquite trees or bushes. I will check out ESL teaching positions here and maybe relocate here with or without my girlfriend. There are a lot of things that sting, bite or burn you such as; rattle snakes, scorpions, various spiders, and most of the plants have thorns or in the case of the Cactus needles. The cholla cactus is the most evil one- ouch!! They even have poisonous lizards; the Heala Monster and the Mexican beaded lizard. Of course the dreaded coral snake is can be quite deadly but they are rare and so tiny it is hard for them to bite you. At night my brother warned me about the javelina or wild hairy pigs which come through his property. I hear their tusks can hurt-ouch. Also Africanized Bees- dounle ouch!! He has some nieghbors but it there is a lot of wild open space with beautiful desert mountains which are all areound his area. Some are high enough to have pine forests on them, I have day hiked and backpacked some of them in the past.

On the way here I drove through the following states; E. Oregon, Wasington, southern Idaho and straight through Utah. From there I took a short cut higway close to Byrce and Zion National parks and the countryside was incredible with bright red colored bluffs, mesas and plataeu. I tell you Europe has nothing like this or the wide open spaces. Most of the drive was just empty land but much of it is mountains or desert. Salt Lake city is big though and so is Phoenix, AZ but Flagstaff is pine trees like Spokane-over 7,000 FT in elevation. The whole drive down was beatiful but on the way back I will go through; California, Oregon, Washington. It made me appreciate what a beautiful country America is and also Canada, Mexico.

No more long dreary winters - so if I get a teaching job here that is one big incentive.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2008 at 21:44
I've always had an ankering for the wilds. If I ever get money I'll buy a secluded island in the Pacific and a house in a quiet glen overlooking the sea in Northern Donegal, here in Ireland. If you can get a job there I'd say go for it.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by Parnell

I've always had an ankering for the wilds. If I ever get money I'll buy a secluded island in the Pacific and a house in a quiet glen overlooking the sea in Northern Donegal, here in Ireland. If you can get a job there I'd say go for it.

Yes, there are a lot of beautiful mountains all around this area. The view of the valley and mountains from Cochise College is panoramic and beautiful. I plan to do some serious hikes and overnight backpack trips into the various wilderness areas. Actually, I have hiked and backpacked here but if I should relocated I will do more exploring. Some of these mountains have your typical western legends about either a lost gold or silver mine or lost bars of gold/silver from a robbery. There is one I recently saw on TV about buried Gold from a robbery that is suppose to be buried in Arizona, eighty bars of gold, robbery took place in late 1800's. Boy, that would make one reach fast!! They said each bar was 10 pounds so at what 800-900 dollars an ounce - WOW OR BACKWARDS - WOW!!

Then I can get my beach house on a secluded south seas island filled with beautiful island lovelys- LOL

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 19:41
Alot of the really inhospitable places are just so beautiful ... deserts, the high arctic, the really high mountains in the Andes or Himalayas, etc
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 20:26
One thing (among others) I would like to do before I die: Drive across USA, through all these magificent landscapes we see on cinema. I mean, really, nothing of Europe matches it. I envy you eaglecap, I really do (I mean it).

If I were ritch, I would want to have a boat, a big enough boat, and sail the oceans. Visit the Caribean (man o man!) and Singapure, the North sea's lands as well as Patagonia and Antarctica...

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2008 at 18:50
Originally posted by xristar

One thing (among others) I would like to do before I die: Drive across USA, through all these magificent landscapes we see on cinema. I mean, really, nothing of Europe matches it. I envy you eaglecap, I really do (I mean it).If I were ritch, I would want to have a boat, a big enough boat, and sail the oceans. Visit the Caribean (man o man!) and Singapure, the North sea's lands as well as Patagonia and Antarctica...

Well if I ever win the lotto I will send you over- LOL
Yes, on my journey here I saw some incredible things, especially in southern Utah. I drove through part of the Navajo Indian reservation and saw some really dramatic mesas and plataeus. If you want to see some unusual landscapes that you never seen in Europe then I would suggest southern Utah and Northern Arizona. The Pacific Northwest is incredible but you have places in Europe similar to that area- BC Canada is also worth seeing and I will miss Canada and my many trips to the BC wild. I hope I do not lose my Canadian accent that everyone claims I have whether by phone or in person. I also say AAA! and not huh!! I still cannot figure out how I picked up this Canadian accent- maybe in a past life I was Canadian- LOL

I am finally taking the time to see my new surroundings and even though it is desert there are some awesome looking mountains I have yet to explore near by. Hiking and wilderness camping or backpacking are my favorite hobbies, along with photography, hunting, fishing and bird watching. I have to get use to the fact that most of the plants have stickers or thorns and of course those nasty rattle snakes. Really, I love snakes but not the ones who can kill you. Scorpions - which means I have to check my shoes or boots if I leave them outside. I hope I can get a chance to see a coral snake.    

One thing that is cool is that on my brother's property after a good rain you can find pottery shards and some till have the paint on them. They are from the various nomadic indian tribes who have passed through this area over the centuries. You will never find a whole piece of pottery because the Indians smashed them after they were through with them to release the spirit within the pottery. They were animist or believed everything had a spirit. So, it is of little archaeological value. There are much better archaeological sites here which are protected under either state or national park status- also U.S forest service land. Some much to see and learn here.

Looks like I might take this new job afterall so it is time to relocate or start making plans. If you do not see me here for a while it is because I will be too busy with this move and taking on a new teaching job.

Edited by eaglecap - 16-Dec-2008 at 19:04
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2008 at 21:44
Europe has some fantastic sites. When I was younger my family spent a week in Austria in the height of summer. High in the Alps, in a little mountain town we saw some of the most beautiful combination of woodland, massive snow-peaked mountains and flowers in full bloom. It was like something out of Alice in Wonderland.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 16:59
Originally posted by Parnell

Europe has some fantastic sites. When I was younger my family spent a week in Austria in the height of summer. High in the Alps, in a little mountain town we saw some of the most beautiful combination of woodland, massive snow-peaked mountains and flowers in full bloom. It was like something out of Alice in Wonderland.

I agree and I have been to vsrious parts of Europe six times and I love the beauty there. I really enjoy the cultural differences and of course Scotland and most of all Greece are my favorite places. I will admit being an ethnic Greek I am a bit biased- LOL. I really loved the rugged beauty of both nations. Turkey was incredible also and probably the best bargain for Europeans and Americans.

But North Amererica, especially the desert sowthwest, has landscapes that are very unique and not found in Europe and it is a bit wilder here, I mean out west. A lot more open spaces and wild areas but it is a harsh land to live in also.

Google or yahoo images from; Byrce, Zion, or any of Utah's national parks and you will see what I saw.

Here are some- sources below

by mosiah2v17's - It was on fliker - yahoo so hopefully I can use these but let me know and I will delete them

I passed this on the way and I will post my pics whenever I get the flim developed.

By *tdl* on Flickr

By TheTruthAboutMortgage.com

By PJ Pad on Flickr
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 18:02

One thing (among others) I would like to do before I die: Drive across USA, through all these magificent landscapes we see on cinema. I mean, really, nothing of Europe matches it. I envy you eaglecap, I really do (I mean it).

I envy Europe sometimes too. I've only been to a few parts of the British Isles, but we have nothing like Ireland or Wales, and they're gorgeous. Rural England has its charms too. Sometimes a little melancholy, but there's something really attractive about even that. I can't speak for the rest of the continent personally, but I've seen some amazing pictures from places like Austria, Italy, Spain, and others.

North America is a magnificent continent too, especially our wild places. The land is amazing anywhere you go on this planet, sometimes you just need to be able to tune in to a place's uniqueness.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 20:23
Originally posted by edgewaters

I envy Europe sometimes too. I've only been to a few parts of the British Isles, but we have nothing like Ireland or Wales, and they're gorgeous. Rural England has its charms too. Sometimes a little melancholy, but there's something really attractive about even that. I can't speak for the rest of the continent personally, but I've seen some amazing pictures from places like Austria, Italy, Spain, and others.

North America is a magnificent continent too, especially our wild places. The land is amazing anywhere you go on this planet, sometimes you just need to be able to tune in to a place's uniqueness.

I agree there are also a lot of unique things only found in Europe- especially in the realm of culture and architecture. I envy him for being in Greece and I would be back in a heart beat if I could. For me, Greece is about: family, culture, the landscape and its or our long history. I was impressed with some of the open space I found in Greece and the Vikos Aoos national Park was truly awesome!! Maybe in a year I will come back to Greece for vacation or holiday as Europeans called it. The ruins, forts, castles and rugged landscape is very unique to Greece or for me. Turkey was also incredbly awesome and I would enjoy returning there as well- cheaper than Europe now.

My trip south just allowed me to see either once again or in some areas for the first time how big and beautiful my country is. The only thing I will hate, if I take this job, is being away from supernatural BC Canada. One of the most beautiful places in the world!! in my humble opinion! I will miss backpacking in the Canadian wild and shaking hands with the grizzly bears or wolverines-
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 20:32
My fathers people are from a place called Inishowen, in northern donegal along the Derry border. Here are some pictures I found on google, but we have hundreds at home of our own which I'm not bother uploading:

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 20:45
Yes, those are very beautiful pics of Ireland. I have been to Ireland and other than the rain I found it to be a very beautiful country in it own unique way. We have the same rain issue on the west sides of: Washington, Oregon and N. California. BC is also very wet!!
I spent a few days in Wicklow National Park and that is where I thought I saw a ghost late at night in an Irish cemetery. It turned out to be a sheep whose wool glowed from the full moon. Almost had a heart attack!! Kilarney is also nice!! I think it is strange that people still put flowers on the graves of people who died in the 1600's. But, at the same time I found respect in it.

Parnell google or yahoooooooo!! the images of the Oregon, Washington and BC Canada coast lines- very impressive!!

Edited by eaglecap - 17-Dec-2008 at 20:47
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 08:27
Hello eagle

Believe me, waite untill summer comes and then you will curse the day you decided to come in the first place (of course persuming that Arizona summers are like Riyadh summers where you have 0 humidity and the airconditioner at full blast and you feel nothing because its 60+ in the sun and almost 50 in the shade).

I like Oregon coast by the way from the pictures I saw and from what I saw in the Discovery seies "Ax men". Now that is a beautifull place except one thing, its damn cold even in summer. I don't mind rain in fact I love it, I wouldn't mind living in Cherrapunji (they get 10 000 mm, 10 m or 500+ inches of rain/year on average with one year exceeding 20m of rain).

As for you dear Xristar, sorry to dissapoint you but most of those places you see in cinema and TV are in Canada since it is cheaper to film there particularly. If they say it is Wyoming than it is definitely Alberta or Saskatchewan, Alaska then it is Northern BC. The beautiful New England countryside is Ontario or the maritime provinces, Seattle is actually Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Chicago are typically Montreal. Only when they say it is the deep south or the desert that they really film in the US. None the less the US is worth it and more. If you decide on going count me with you.

AL-Jassas
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 18:27
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello eagle

Believe me, waite untill summer comes and then you will curse the day you decided to come in the first place (of course persuming that Arizona summers are like Riyadh summers where you have 0 humidity and the airconditioner at full blast and you feel nothing because its 60+ in the sun and almost 50 in the shade).

I like Oregon coast by the way from the pictures I saw and from what I saw in the Discovery seies "Ax men". Now that is a beautifull place except one thing, its damn cold even in summer. I don't mind rain in fact I love it, I wouldn't mind living in Cherrapunji (they get 10 000 mm, 10 m or 500+ inches of rain/year on average with one year exceeding 20m of rain).

As for you dear Xristar, sorry to dissapoint you but most of those places you see in cinema and TV are in Canada since it is cheaper to film there particularly. If they say it is Wyoming than it is definitely Alberta or Saskatchewan, Alaska then it is Northern BC. The beautiful New England countryside is Ontario or the maritime provinces, Seattle is actually Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Chicago are typically Montreal. Only when they say it is the deep south or the desert that they really film in the US. None the less the US is worth it and more. If you decide on going count me with you.

AL-Jassas

Xristar- that is true with many of the newer movies but Canada can never replace places like Monument Valley or the Grand Canyon. The canyon country I drove through in S. Utah cannot be found in Canada but Al J. is right many movies are being flimed north but Canada is awesome also and much wilder. The star gate series was flimed both in Washington State and BC Canada and so is the new Outer Limits. Most of the older movies before the 1990's were flimed here and they still flim in the USA. Spokane has a movie company called North by Northwest and they flim both in Washington/Oregon states and Canada. There has been several movies, that made it to the big screen, filmed in Spokane.

I lived in California for a few years but yes it is humid and hot here because in the summer the monsoon rains come up from Mexico and the desert turns green. I love the cactus and other interesting things out here. I also see a lot of beautiful birds I have never see before. I have been keeping an eye out for indian pottery or tools you can find around here. I am not sure what tribe they belonged to. I really do adapt fast to climates but I am waiting to hear if I get that job otherwise I go back.

I was at the Oregon coast the previous summer for the first time. I volunteered to help a friend do some repair work on his summer home. It was hot and dry on the east side of Washington State but as soon as I got to the Oregon beach- RAIN!! and more rain!! We had a few sunny days but the beaches are beautiful and the forests are really a rain forest and extremely lush. We camped on my friend's brothers house and they have herds of elk, moose and of course lots of deer. We went and toured the Tillamook cheese factory- incredible- I love cheese!!!

My area:
Whetstone mountains- one of several mountains ranges- not the biggest

By dmguz on Flickr

By SIngraham on Flickr

The Rincon Mountains which you can see from my new place- pine forests on the higher elevations

By Airplane Journal on Flickr

View from the Kartchner Caverns State Park's "Foothill Loop Trail" towards the Dragoon Mountains - general view of my area but there is a town of over 20,000 somewhere below, maybe out of view.
By AlmostOnTime on Flickr

The dragoon Mountains which are famous for Chochise's last stand against the US military in the late 1800's.
By Wes Noonan on Flickr

the town I will be living near, if I make this move.
By Blue Fork on Flickr
None of these pictures really do the place justice and in time I will put up my own.

Towards Tucson about 45 mins by freeway we have the giant Saguaro Cactus- like the one here but not around Benson.

By backlitcoyote on Flickr

Edited by eaglecap - 18-Dec-2008 at 19:43
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 21:00

It looks like around Killarney - If so, I was here. I will have to find my pics from that trip.

My desert neighbor

Name: thmwayne.jpg

Local post office

By thornydalemapco on Flickr

more nieghbors

Gila Monster Lizard- poisonous bite
Name: Gila-Monster-Hissing.jpg

Javelina or native wild pigs- the only pigs native to North America
By gatespassbear on Flickr
These are online images but in time I will post my own.

Edited by eaglecap - 18-Dec-2008 at 21:01
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 18:54
I decideded to relocate to the desert southwest.
It is neat that you can find Native American artifacts on or around where I have moved to- took the job in this area. I have been moving so this is why I have not been here. The artifacts are usually pottery shards or chips to make arrow heads but so far no arrow heads and I am still looking for pottery shards. There is nothing here of real museum value here or so far.
You really have to watch out for those Cholla (Choya) cacti- needles as hard as can be with tiny hooks to cling onto your skin or clothes-double ouch!! I will miss the over 3 feet of snow in Spokane, Washington- boo hoo!!
Anyone else here live in the deserts of their state or country???
 Post Reply Post Reply