Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Was there ever a Mother-Goddess society?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
charlesbrough View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote charlesbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was there ever a Mother-Goddess society?
    Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 18:43
I notice that mostly male anthropologists discount the existence of a prehistory mother-goddess society.  Those who have proposed one have mostly been women.  It seems to me this is the only field and the only subject that divides science up into gender!

The scientific consensus seems to be that there has never been a society ruled by women.  Taking a scattering of clues from a half dozen different social and natural sciences and with them, I have reason to believe that there was indeed a mother goddess society and that, as the consensus claims, women did not rule. 

That is not a contradiction.  To "rule" implies a formal hierarchy which we call "government." Governments did not exist in prehistory.  People lived in communes.  No one "ruled" but the women would have controlled public opinion.  In that sense, they ruled. . .

In http://atheistic-science.com there is a description of the society---and, a concise meaning given to the world "society."

charles
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 20:36
Originally posted by charlesbrough

I notice that mostly male anthropologists discount the existence of a prehistory mother-goddess society.
I don't notice that, so I'd appreciate why you claim it. The earth-mother-goddess and sky-father-god dichotomy is very pervasive in early cultures (even in ones which are flexible enough to accomodate both, and I've never come across what opposition to the idea there is coming from males particularly.

Do you have some statistics?
Those who have proposed one have mostly been women.  It seems to me this is the only field and the only subject that divides science up into gender!

The scientific consensus seems to be that there has never been a society ruled by women. 
Look at the West Indies, or the culture of blacks in America. But anyway a society being ruled by women has nothing to do with whether there was a society that worshipped a mother-goddess. Men as well as women (in fact possibly men more than women) were initiates into the Eleusis cult of Demeter and Persephone for instance.
Taking a scattering of clues from a half dozen different social and natural sciences and with them, I have reason to believe that there was indeed a mother goddess society and that, as the consensus claims, women did not rule. 

That is not a contradiction.  To "rule" implies a formal hierarchy which we call "government." Governments did not exist in prehistory.  People lived in communes.  No one "ruled" but the women would have controlled public opinion.  In that sense, they ruled. . .
No problem with that, except for the unjustified generalisation 'people lived in communes', if you mean by commune anything more than 'group'. I just don't see why you think of it as new. Graves wrote The White Goddess sixty years ago, and it wasn't new then (though his analysis was), and you'll find it in Frazer too.

In http://atheistic-science.com there is a description of the society---and, a concise meaning given to the world "society."

charles
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 23:37
With respect to the Mother goddness idea, I believe that it is the core of the mythology of the Americas. "Mother Earth" is the most common and uniform religious belief and cosmology of allmost any group in here. The concept we live in the womb of Mother Earth, that she feed us, and that she is also the grave of our ancestors, it is so powerful and widespread here that I can't see how these can't be "Mother-godness" societies.  And the idea is so powerfull that it has influenced European settlers, both in North and Latin America, since centuries ago.

That tendency could explain, also, why the adoration of the Virgin Mary (which is the figure catholics used to replace the figure of Mother Earth), or marianism,  it is so important in the Americas south-of-the-border. If you look at the origin Virgin of Guadaloupe in Mexico, for instance, you will find the native godness of Mother Earth

Edited by pinguin - 22-Nov-2008 at 23:41
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 23:50

I notice that mostly male anthropologists discount the existence of a prehistory mother-goddess society.  Those who have proposed one have mostly been women.  It seems to me this is the only field and the only subject that divides science up into gender!
Do you have any good measure for this gender-based separation? I know several male scholars taking the mother-goddess mythology for certain (and going even further, identifying the cultural remnants of these old societies in the patriarchal societies which followed). I also read a lot of criticism addressing Gimbutas' theory but I can't say that all her ideas were wrong.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charlesbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by gcle2003

I don't notice that, so I'd appreciate why you claim it. The earth-mother-goddess and sky-father-god dichotomy is very pervasive in early cultures (even in ones which are flexible enough to accomodate both, and I've never come across what opposition to the idea there is coming from males particularly.

I'm sorry for being unable to give statistics or back this up.  I did considerable research in anthropological works and all the authors were men who worked not with religions but with pottery "cultures."  Gimbutas was different.  I read a number of books on the mother goddess religion-bonded society and all were written by women.  It seemed obvious to me that there was a male consensus and a female consensus.  Up until perhaps 9,000 years ago, it was not even recognized that the male played any role in reproduction.

Let me please explain something here:  I do not always use the same terminology as the social science consensus.  I use key social science words functionally.  I define "culture" as the physical heritage of a "society" and a "mainstream society" as the mass of people bonded together by a mainstream world-view and way of thinking ("religion").  I do this because we evolved through millions of years of evolution in small groups and are "innately" (social instinctively) geared to living that way.  The social evolutionary function of world-view systems ("religion") is, therefore, to bond us into much larger groups than we are otherwise able to function in.

So, whether the men or women run a "society" depends upon the world-view system.  If the men do, it is a patriarchal society. Who runs the society is determined by the ideological system.  In our modern society,  the secular doctrines have moved considerably towards the middle with women taking large roles while the old religion is increasing pressure to pull them back. 

There are, as you say, groups and tribes that are matrilineal.  There are some in which women dominate the home---partially because the men are never there any more.  But my interest and focus is on social evolution and that occurs in "the mainstream."  The "mainstream" moved out of Africa, dominated the Near and Middle East and China, spread to Europe and the rest of the Euro-Asian land mass, back to Africa, and then the New World.  The Inca-Mayan civilization had a separate and somewhat later "mainstream."

So, I say that in the mainstream, the patriarchal-monogamous (sort-of!) religion-bonded societies appeared about 5,000 years ago in Sumer, Egypt, India and then China---all based upon a revolutionary Male-god plus modification of the mother goddess religion-based society age.  What made the change necessary was that the huge mother-goddess religion-based society was made up of normal human hunting-gathering size irrigation-based communes---"communes" in the sense that there was no "government" and no "capitalism." With increasing congestion, there had to arise a world-view system that would enable them to organize into larger social entities that could still substitute for the small groups we are evolved to feel "right" in (to feel less stress).
The male-dominated word-view one, and one in which the women were rationed (monogamy), succeeded in doing that.  When a need arises, as in all evolution, an adaptation generally follows that satisfies the need.

In the old mother goddess world-view system---as I describe it in my work (http://atheistic-science.com), I propose the men had no status at all.  They likely lived mostly as "Hippies" and only a few of the more appealing ones were the "studs" who serviced the women in the various homes--which, themselves, were based on mother and children and grandchildren.  This system later evolved "Temple Prostitution." 

The male-dominated system that followed was a social revolution. There are a number of tribes and ethnic groups still in modern times that are matrilineal. I classify them as peripheral to the mainstream and to the direction of social evolution.

charles

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charlesbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2008 at 17:29
I agree with Pinguin and Chilbudios that the mother-goddess influence on religion has survived a long evolution.  The Patriarchal faiths represented the mother goddess as the snake---which as Gimbutas noted, was one of her symbols---in the form of an evil monster serpent they called "dragons" and which heroic male gods went out to slay.  It survived in its strong appeal into the Orthodox icons of a grandiose Mother Mary holding up a tiny, pathetic looking insignificant Jesus in her lap---and modern Marionism.  In Genesis, the snake that tempted Adam and Eve (monogamy) was symbolically the mother goddess. 

World-view "religion" system evolve from each other in the mainstream.  All have had ties to the past.  World-view systems of the future will also have ties to our present secular-scriptural belief combination system.

charles
http://atheistic-science.com
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2008 at 18:26

Originally posted by gcle2003

I'm sorry for being unable to give statistics or back this up.  I did considerable research in anthropological works and all the authors were men who worked not with religions but with pottery "cultures."
So you missed out not only on Graves and Frazer but also on Malinowski, James, Parrinder, Lévi-Strauss ...? I'm not sure what you mean by 'pottery cultures'. Why should use of pottery have any connection with religious beliefs of a certain kind? 
Gimbutas was different.  I read a number of books on the mother goddess religion-bonded society and all were written by women.
But you'll find women writers (Benedict, Mead) who aren't particularly hung up on mother religions. What I think is true is that there has been a part of the post-1960s popular feminist movement that has concentrated on boosting the role of the goddess religions for what are essentially political reasons. Search Google for hymns to the goddess and you'll find lots of them in that vein, especially it would seem among Wiccans.
That's not so true of Gimbutas, who had a respectable career as an archaeologist, but I'm unaware that she did any significant work as an anthropologist. As a cult heroine however, possibly she does have more female than male followers, but she certainly has some male supporters.
Anyway her view is restricted to quite a small minority of the earth's peoples.
  It seemed obvious to me that there was a male consensus and a female consensus.  Up until perhaps 9,000 years ago, it was not even recognized that the male played any role in reproduction.
I'm not sure one can be that exact about a date for the first recognition that copulation leads to birth - Trobrianders seem not to be entirely convinced even now Smile - but undoubtedly it started sometime. What's not so obvious is that that should be particularly associated with male/female 'rule' (rather than tracing descent). The father-son relationship transforms to the mother's brother/sister's son one but that's the only universal result I'm aware of.

Let me please explain something here:  I do not always use the same terminology as the social science consensus.
Which is a rather dangerous thing to do if you want to be misunderstood, but I accept you're now defining them.
  I use key social science words functionally.  I define "culture" as the physical heritage of a "society" and a "mainstream society" as the mass of people bonded together by a mainstream world-view and way of thinking ("religion").  I do this because we evolved through millions of years of evolution in small groups and are "innately" (social instinctively) geared to living that way.  The social evolutionary function of world-view systems ("religion") is, therefore, to bond us into much larger groups than we are otherwise able to function in.

So, whether the men or women run a "society" depends upon the world-view system.  If the men do, it is a patriarchal society. Who runs the society is determined by the ideological system.  In our modern society,  the secular doctrines have moved considerably towards the middle with women taking large roles while the old religion is increasing pressure to pull them back. 
Rattray Taylor in Sex in History [1] distinguishes between patriarchal/matriarchal and patristic/matristic. Worth reading, though it concentrates rather on Europe.

[1] There is a pot-boiler of the same name by someone else that is well worth avoiding.

There are, as you say, groups and tribes that are matrilineal.  There are some in which women dominate the home---partially because the men are never there any more.  But my interest and focus is on social evolution and that occurs in "the mainstream."  The "mainstream" moved out of Africa, dominated the Near and Middle East and China, spread to Europe and the rest of the Euro-Asian land mass, back to Africa, and then the New World.  The Inca-Mayan civilization had a separate and somewhat later "mainstream."

So, I say that in the mainstream, the patriarchal-monogamous (sort-of!) religion-bonded societies appeared about 5,000 years ago in Sumer, Egypt, India and then China---all based upon a revolutionary Male-god plus modification of the mother goddess religion-based society age.
Which makes it all rather depend on what you mean by 'mainstream', which isn't very clear. However, under any definition I don't see a 'revolutionary Male-god' displacing Isis in Egypt except for a short few years. Isis wins out in the end. You may, offhand, have a better case in India, but I'd like to know a little more detail about what you're suggesting happened in Sumer and China.
  What made the change necessary was that the huge mother-goddess religion-based society was made up of normal human hunting-gathering size irrigation-based communes---"communes" in the sense that there was no "government" and no "capitalism."
That's denying the case made by Graves and backed by Frazer's work. The Isis and Demeter religions weren't associated with humter-gatherers. Incidentally, again, there are two males promoting the mother-goddess religion.
 With increasing congestion, there had to arise a world-view system that would enable them to organize into larger social entities that could still substitute for the small groups we are evolved to feel "right" in (to feel less stress).
The male-dominated word-view one, and one in which the women were rationed (monogamy), succeeded in doing that.  When a need arises, as in all evolution, an adaptation generally follows that satisfies the need.
Monogamy is hardly a sign of male domination. Male domination is concerned with establishing male inheritance, which means enforcing female chastity, but polygamy and concubinage are both easily compatible with that.

In the old mother goddess world-view system---as I describe it in my work (http://atheistic-science.com), I propose the men had no status at all.
You ignore the mother's brother.
  They likely lived mostly as "Hippies" and only a few of the more appealing ones were the "studs" who serviced the women in the various homes--which, themselves, were based on mother and children and grandchildren.  This system later evolved "Temple Prostitution." 
I agree that temple prostitution traditionally goes along with goddess worship. I'm not quite sure of the relevance though.

The male-dominated system that followed was a social revolution. There are a number of tribes and ethnic groups still in modern times that are matrilineal. I classify them as peripheral to the mainstream and to the direction of social evolution.

charles
So what you do is 'define out' counter-instances to your proposal? Doesn't that make the presentation of evidence somewhat pointless?

Edited by gcle2003 - 23-Nov-2008 at 18:28
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2008 at 20:46

Why should use of pottery have any connection with religious beliefs of a certain kind? 

Hoo boy!  Graham, that isn't a question, that's a doctoral thesis all by itself.Big%20smile  In some cultures you might even be safe saying pottery was a religion.

It's not something I can respond to in just a few lines, just let it be said that pottery can have a religious connection.

The only easily recognized example I can think of quickly would be the Japanese Raku tradition.

I have several friends and quite a few acquaintances that are Anthropologists.  Every one of them acknowledges the existence of the "sacred feminine".  All of them are men.

Edited by red clay - 23-Nov-2008 at 20:55
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2008 at 23:34

I agree with Pinguin and Chilbudios that the mother-goddess influence on religion has survived a long evolution.  The Patriarchal faiths represented the mother goddess as the snake---which as Gimbutas noted, was one of her symbols---in the form of an evil monster serpent they called "dragons" and which heroic male gods went out to slay.  It survived in its strong appeal into the Orthodox icons of a grandiose Mother Mary holding up a tiny, pathetic looking insignificant Jesus in her lap---and modern Marionism.  In Genesis, the snake that tempted Adam and Eve (monogamy) was symbolically the mother goddess. 

World-view "religion" system evolve from each other in the mainstream.  All have had ties to the past.  World-view systems of the future will also have ties to our present secular-scriptural belief combination system.
 Maria Gimbutas had a significant contribution in anthropology, especially related to old beliefs and rituals and their survival in the patriarchal European societies, however I find it some of the links highly speculative. In this particular case, I'm not sure if the serpent in the Garden of Eden should be connected to a mother-goddess, I believe these are other metaphors behind the snake: that of monstruous creature, of "chaotic" creature bringing disorder in god's world, a prefiguration of Satan (in many cosmogonic myths there's this motif of opposition between creation and destruction, between order and chaos) and that of hiding, deceit, shame, lie, a creeping creature being a suitable metaphor for the corruption of that perfect world.
Much better cases for the survival of and "Old Europe" mother goddesses and priestesses are to be found in Greek mythology or in Christianity in syncretic accounts. I'll take, inspired by your example, few other instances of the motif of woman confronting the dragon/snake more or less directly (instead of passively waiting to be saved by a male hero):
- in several variants of the legend of St. George the dragon is killed only after a maid binds it (a remnant of an old powerful attribute associated with feminity - magic or perhaps even erotic magic; for the latter examples from European Antiquity are to be found in Pliny, HN, XXVIII, 23 or Plutarch, Mulierum virtutes).
- Jason can steal the golden fleece only with Medea's instrumental help, her magic can put the otherwise invincible dragon to sleep
- in French hagiography there's the legend of St. Martha binding the dragon Tarasque with her own chastity belt
- the Thracian treasure found at Letnitsa pictures some priestess taming or possibly even riding serpentlike beasts ( http://www.omda.bg/engl/history/letnitza_treasure.htm )

As you can see, all these run the same motif of binding a dragon-like creature by a woman. I wonder if this can be traced back in prehistory to a general scenario of a priestess (woman with magical powers) fighting a destructive force of nature (a meteorologic spirit, for instance)

Edited by Chilbudios - 23-Nov-2008 at 23:39
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 07:14

I notice that mostly male anthropologists discount the existence of a prehistory mother-goddess society.  Those who have proposed one have mostly been women . . .  I have reason to believe that there was indeed a mother goddess society and that, as the consensus claims, women did not rule. 

Most anthropologists (male or female) don't discount societies whose religions revolved around a mother-goddess, since it's hardly in dispute. There is dispute about whether these societies (eg Minoan Crete or the people at Catal Huyuk) were truly matriarchal. They definately did have authority structures and women definately did occupy some place in them, the question is just what exactly their place was - whether it was really the sort of authority we think of, or just something that looks like authority (for instance, the female figure on the leopard throne at Catal Huyuk looks like some sort of authority figure, but she could be anything - a sacrificial victim in the role of impersonating the deity before the big event, a sort of ritualized transvestite, who knows). 

Allow me some total speculation here: I think that at the very dawn of the agricultural age, before you had big fields and organized agricultural labour, the gatherers (women) started growing little gardens - horticulture, not true agriculture. They built a home in one spot and probably 'ruled the roost' - seems a natural thing in many societies where you have women in charge around the home and men in charge outside the home, in society at large.

But at some point, for a very brief period (before the appearance of true agriculture) the home was probably the chief economic unit and centre of power, that's where all the food and luxuries were coming from. Also note that all the early crafts - weaving, pottery, jewellry, and so on - do seem to be home- and female-oriented. So at this point I think men were probably still dominant in terms of the territory as a whole (keeping other tribes out, hunting, and so on) but women would have had enormous influence by virtue of controlling the productive unit, the home.

The features of this age probably didn't die out overnight, but echoed down through the societies that followed, the early agricultural civilizations. That's what we're probably seeing in some of these early civilizations, legacy institutions of an earlier time. As the home diminished in economic and social importance - as fields and cities with plazas, markets and other public spaces emerged - women gradually, slowly, diminished in social influence, although the deities, the rituals, the icons, and so on probably hung around for a long time by virtue of tradition.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 11:09
Originally posted by red clay

Why should use of pottery have any connection with religious beliefs of a certain kind? 

Hoo boy!  Graham, that isn't a question, that's a doctoral thesis all by itself.Big%20smile  In some cultures you might even be safe saying pottery was a religion.

It's not something I can respond to in just a few lines, just let it be said that pottery can have a religious connection.

The only easily recognized example I can think of quickly would be the Japanese Raku tradition.
I didn't mean to assert that pottery couldn't have religious connotations in various ways. For instance, Khayyam uses pottery as a religious metaphor.

I meant to emphasise of a certain kind. That is, while pottery can be associated with religion, it seems to me it could be associated with pretty well any kind of religion.
I have several friends and quite a few acquaintances that are Anthropologists.  Every one of them acknowledges the existence of the "sacred feminine".  All of them are men.
That's what I would expect.

Incidentally I tend to think of anthropologists as people who study existing peoples and archaeologists as people who study extinct ones. I accept though that's a personal view, albeit one I think useful.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charlesbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 15:58
Yes, not all anthropologists (and archeologists) deny the existence of a mother goddess society in prehistory and not all women anthropologists and other social scientists believe there was one.

My picture of prehistory is that until about 10,000 years ago, there existed a male-hunting weapon) technology based religion that encompassed (in variations) a large part of the Old World.  It succeeded so well that the game herds declined---forcing women to pick up the slack.  That is the beginning of agriculture.  They began making female idols which, I suggest, represent the women's, fertility's, importance in their ideological system.  The idols may well have mocked the "great male hunter" who came back from the hunt with a few rabbits.

As the importance of agriculture grew, it was reflected in a female point of view on everything. The Mother goddess demanded that the seeds be planted at a certain depth or she would keep them from sprouting.  Since, IN THE MAINSTREAM, the male role in reproduction was still unknown, this meant the men had very little status left.  Everything was either "female" or "profane."  So, this successful system spread over much of the Old World, replacing the old hunting-technology religion and its society ("culture").

You see, I believe people always have an over-all common ideological system, always have.  Ours is "old religion plus secular doctrines."  The prehistory ones were wrapped up with their technology.  They spread the technology as religions.  Each such mainstream religion, in its variations, was a step forward, a progressive step, in human social evolution.

We are getting ready for another one, a new one, in modern times. . .

charles
http://atheistic-science.com

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2008 at 15:40

Arguably the male role in reproduction was known but often considered less important. And as we are it, it's worth checking the ancient Egyptian cosmogony where  Nut was the mother goddess of the sky, while Geb was the male god of the earth ( http://www.tulane.edu/~danny/shu.gif Geb and Nut separated by Shu, a god of air).

I agree at large with the above considerations on agriculture and woman's role, however that's only a part of that society. It was a society where magic (religion) played a big role, and in that respect women could easily compete with men (probably even often getting the upper hand, that text from Pliny deals mostly woman's menstruation and nudity)
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2008 at 18:44

Since, IN THE MAINSTREAM, the male role in reproduction was still unknown, this meant the men had very little status left.

That's a good observation and I think there's something to it. They didn't entirely misunderstand it ... they seemed to know men played some part ... but I don't think they understood the actual process, if you look at the religious beliefs (eg Dumuzi etc) it seems more like they thought males made women fertile, rather than directly pregnant. The latter seems to have been seen as something that happened by itself when women reached a sufficient level of fertility. 

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2008 at 20:09

The ancients (I'm mostly refering mostly the ancient Egyptians and then the Graeco-Roman world, but I assume they didn't learn it all of a sudden) certainly did not have our understanding but knew enough about fertility and pregnancy

For instance contraception was known. The 2nd century AD Soranos of Ephesos suggested that pregancy can be avoided by having intercourse in certain periods (probably they didn't have our accuracy in determining it). A more common suggestion was that woman should not let the semen to get into her womb. Of course there were also potions, diets, inserting objects or lubricating with oils, balsamies, etc.

They probably didn't understood well menstruation but they certainly had it linked with fertility, based on direct observation if not also on other symbols and events (blood as a sign of life, the blood shed at childbirth etc.). But it is interesting to note that the menstrual blood was sometimes considered poisonous or having various devastating effects.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2008 at 20:30
Originally posted by Chilbudios

The ancients (I'm mostly refering mostly the ancient Egyptians and then the Graeco-Roman world, but I assume they didn't learn it all of a sudden) certainly did not have our understanding but knew enough about fertility and pregnancy

For instance contraception was known. The 2nd century AD Soranos of Ephesos suggested that pregancy can be avoided by having intercourse in certain periods (probably they didn't have our accuracy in determining it). A more common suggestion was that woman should not let the semen to get into her womb.

2nd century is ... about 8000 years after the transition to agriculture! It's closer to our time than it is to the very earliest agricultural groups, much closer.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2008 at 20:51
Originally posted by Chilbudios

For instance contraception was known. The 2nd century AD Soranos of Ephesos suggested that pregancy can be avoided by having intercourse in certain periods (probably they didn't have our accuracy in determining it). A more common suggestion was that woman should not let the semen to get into her womb. Of course there were also potions, diets, inserting objects or lubricating with oils, balsamies, etc.

They probably didn't understood well menstruation but they certainly had it linked with fertility, based on direct observation if not also on other symbols and events (blood as a sign of life, the blood shed at childbirth etc.). But it is interesting to note that the menstrual blood was sometimes considered poisonous or having various devastating effects.

I think they were much more accurate and knew more about the menstrual cycle than what we think.
One of the earliest counting tools found is a piece of bone found in a cave in S. Africa, It's dated to approx. 26,000 bce and is a record of and means of calculating the cycle.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2008 at 21:27
Originally posted by edgewaters

2nd century is ... about 8000 years after the transition to agriculture! It's closer to our time than it is to the very earliest agricultural groups, much closer.

In physical time yes, in mentality who can say?

However, as I argued further and if I understand correctly RedClay too, menstruation is easy to notice (or perhaps even anticipate) and easy to associate with fertility. When the primitive man acknowledged that pregnancy is related to menstruation, then the fertility of women became a certainty as image, as symbol, as concept.

And as a side note, in agriculture shouldn't the seed get planted in a fertile soil for a good crop? Wink

Edited by Chilbudios - 25-Nov-2008 at 21:29
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 15:18
It must be pretty obvious to women anyway that menstruation stops when pregnancy begins. Of course that may be one of the secrets that women kept to themselves, and men thought it would be dangerous to enquire into.

Prohibitions of or limitations on contact with menstruating women were common among primitive tribes (once again I'm referring to primitive tribes studied in modern times).
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2008 at 15:46
I found an interesting hypothesis about the beginnings of symbolism in human history (a story happening in the Upper Paleolithic, long before the rise of agriculture, ) and ... menstruation:

This hypothesis may be or may be not viable, however I find worthy to note that menstruation was a signal anticipating fertility some 50,000 years ago. Which leaves us safe to assume that the neolithic farmers had the notion of feminine fertility.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>