Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Myths about the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Myths about the Americas
    Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 23:01
I wonder how close Hohokham, Mogollon and Anasazi mythology is to more modern Hopi or Pueblo myth?

I know shift changers or being able to change form are common in a lot of Native American mythology- Does anyone have a good story about shape shifters?

How much has Native American mythology changed with the arrival of the Europeans and the horse, guns, food, disease, religion, or other inventions the Europeans brought in?
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 23:57
Depends on Native American culture.

The concept of the tricker, for example, doesn't exist in Mapuche mythology.
Christian cosmology is relatively easy to detect when had influenced Native American cultures. The Popol Vuh written in the 17th century, by Hispanized Mayan Indians, and show some Christian influences; however, most of the book shows very accurately the Ancient Mayan beliefs, which are well documented today because the ancient mayan stelae has been read.

I am not expert in North American native mythology, but my instinct say me that if the myth resemble too much an European myth, then it was introduced. A vampire or a gnome would make me suspicious, for instance.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 00:03
The coyote myths and this Hopi/Pueblo myth are pre Columbian. The Coyote has always been seen as a trickster in varous west coast tribes such as the Salish, Chumash etc. I have never heard any native American say this idea was introduced by the Europeans. I think the trickster is common amongst a lot of mythology around the world such as Loke in Norse mythology.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 11:52
I wish someone would point that out to Cyrus over in the thread on the original inhabitants of England Smile
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 19:25
Originally posted by gcle2003

I wish someone would point that out to Cyrus over in the thread on the original inhabitants of England Smile

confused point out what????

Once when we were teenagers we held an attempted Seance in Havasupai Canyon, a part of the Grand Canyon,and a mist appeared and scared the tar out of my older brother and freinds. I had left prior to this so I did not see it.

Apparently, the reason why they had the seance was to contact the spirit of a Havasupai Indian women who according to legend commited suicide after her lover's death. Then,in the same area, there is Mooney Falls which is named after a drunk miner who fell off of them 200 feet to his death or according to legend. At night this area is creepy and it is the type of place where myths and legends can be spun.

Havasupai Falls near the Grand Canyon
By SsQuanta on Flickr

Mooney Falls
By david haggard on Flickr
The climb down to Mooney Falls is very steep and there are chains to hold on to and it passes through a few caves on the way down. I need to go back there sometime.
I am sure the Havasupai tribe has a ton of myths about the area but they are one of the few tribes still on their ancestral lands and the last place in the USA where mail is still delievered by horse- 14 miles to the village.

Edited by eaglecap - 26-Feb-2009 at 20:03
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2009 at 22:27
It is interesting how Hopi/Pueblo myth evolved after the contact with the whiteman. Did the arrival of Christianity impact native beliefs and how much did it affect their myths? I wonder if the horse altered their mtyhs since it was the whiteman who introduced the horse to them?

Masau'u ....perhaps he was not always the god of fire but in the recent statement (1964) by Hermequaftewa,Chief of the Blue Bird clas at Shongopovi he is not. We came to his land only after recieving permission from our Great Spirit, Masau' u. He was living on this land with the keeper of fire, who is the Spider women...I Suspect, however, this arrangment is a late construct designed to preserve a place for Spider women and the War Twins in the place of rapidly developing monotheism.
Publo Gods and myth by Hamilton Tyler page 18

image of Masau'u a Hopi/Pueblo god

By jamesk7 on Flickr

Edited by eaglecap - 03-Apr-2009 at 00:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 01:25
Originally posted by eaglecap

It is interesting how Hopi/Pueblo myth evolved after the contact with the whiteman. Did the arrival of Christianity impact native beliefs and how much did it affect their myths? I wonder if the horse altered their mtyhs since it was the whiteman who introduced the horse to them? ...

Interesting observation! Carl Sagan in Cosmos called me the attention to two similar situations, about ancient legends that were actually based in the first contacts with the White men. He shown a maya legend where the europeans were shown as gods, and also a legend about a North American group of the North West that described a contact with a French ship which is despicted as a giant sea monster.

I liked that approach to see legend as based in facts.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 18:45
Pueblo Gods and myth by Hamilton Tyler -in this book it is interesting how he contrasts the Greek gods to the Hopi/Pueblo Indian gods. Like in the first chapter about their god of the underworld Masau' u the author contrasts this god with Hermes and gives numerous examples about how these gods compared. The next chapter he writes about the Hopi underworld and he is contrasting the Hopi/Pueblo god with Demeter. I have just started this chapter.

Sara Winnemucca in her book "Life Among the Paiutes" she talks about her tribe encountering a race of white men and of course there was conflict but I get the feeling this encounter is very old or prior the the Americans arriving- Spaniards- ???
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2009 at 19:28
Originally posted by pinguin

I am not expert in North American native mythology, but my instinct say me that if the myth resemble too much an European myth, then it was introduced. A vampire or a gnome would make me suspicious, for instance.

Ah, well, there are both (of a fashion), and neither of them introduced. There is the Wendigo, who resembles a vampire - a cannibal spirit of the forest, who is driven by an urge to eat human flesh and can infect others and cause them to become Wendigo as well.

There are also the "Little People", not unlike gnomes or elves, who have magical powers and are rarely seen. They are related to the myth of the Dark Dance among the Cherokee and Iroqouis:

http://www.kahonwes.com/iroquois/littlepe.htm

Neither of these are borrowed.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 01:05

[/QUOTE]

Ah, well, there are both (of a fashion), and neither of them introduced. There is the Wendigo, who resembles a vampire - a cannibal spirit of the forest, who is driven by an urge to eat human flesh and can infect others and cause them to become Wendigo as well.

There are also the "Little People", not unlike gnomes or elves, who have magical powers and are rarely seen. They are related to the myth of the Dark Dance among the Cherokee and Iroqouis:

htm

Neither of these are borrowed.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting!!

I found it interesting that on a certain ceremonial celebration the Hopi shut down the highway and other roads into the village and people are told to stay inside. The dead cannot come back to their village if living people are using the road but they come in cloud form and bring the rain. If you know how dry the Hopi reservation is then you will see how important it is for their ancestors to return during this celebration, they bring the rain. The celebration is for Masau' u so during the celebration white people or even none Hopi cannot take part in the ceremony so nothing is really known what takes place.

Edited by eaglecap - 07-Apr-2009 at 01:06
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 15:50
Originally posted by edgewaters

Huckleberries are not blueberries!! Again, its a confusion of naming but the berries referred to that way are a similar plant of the same genus, but not the same species at all.

Interesting with all these blue berrys:

"Huckleberry is a name used in North America for several plants in two closely related genera in the family Ericaceae: Gaylussacia and Vaccinium. The Huckleberry is the state fruit of Idaho.
While some Vaccinium species, such as the Red Huckleberry, are always called huckleberries, other species may be called blueberries or huckleberries depending upon local custom. Usually, the distinction between them is that blueberries have numerous tiny seeds, while huckleberries have 10 larger seeds (making them more difficult to eat).

The 'garden huckleberry' (Solanum melanocerasum) is not considered to be a true huckleberry but a member of the nightshade family."

Wild Huckleberry

Garden Huckleberry

Billberry (blåbär) (Vaccinium myrtillus)

Billberry  

Blueberry (nordamerikanskt blåbär) Vaccinium, sect. Cyanococcus

Blueberry

Ather a luck thet we had Linné who created the binominal system so one can find out what species is what.

JRScotia View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JRScotia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 16:17
All wines that I'm aware of in the US at least are grown from European grape stocks. Any introduction of US native grapes is considered to ruin them because of the inferior nature of native grapes.

Being grown in Chile doesn't mean the stocks were native. :)
Saor Alba
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 16:40
Nobody has said that. The grapes of our famous wines -I'm Chilean- are French; so much so we have more French parrs than they had. As any expert would tell you, the phylostera disaster wiped out the French wine industry, but we still got the old grapes LOL
I wouldn't say north american native wines are inferior, but just less known that the rest. What is amazing, though, is that north america has native graps while south america lacks them-

Edited by pinguin - 26-May-2009 at 16:41
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2009 at 22:11
We also have the myth about the blue eyed, Welsh speaking Native Americans who in some way should be descendants to an expedition to North America by Welsh prince Madoc. He should have arrived to the east coast of America sometimes in the 12th century. Funny enough people have later connected him with the Mandan people who live 1500 miles from the east coast.

That Mandan is not Welsh
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by pinguin

Ever wonder if the Lost Tribe of Israel came to the New World? Did "El dorado" exist? Did Ponce de Leon found the "fountaint of Youth"? It is true that Nazis made a military base in Patagonia and later enter to the holed earth through the hole in the Antartida? Do Yetis live in the U.S. forests? What about the pirate treasures of the Caribbean?  

In short, do you want to know more about those amazing myths that cover all over the Americas?

Please, let's us discuss them in this thread.

ponce de leon was never lookin' for the fountain of youth, that's just a lie whites made up later on in history. ponce de leon was lookin' to conquer more lands, that's it.

you know every time i look at a article i see your posts and you're always soundin' like a cry baby, and complain' about everything.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2010 at 18:59
Pinguin wrote, a long time ago; "Just a surprise for you know, did you know strawberries main genetical origin is chilean? Yeap, the appearence and flaworing of that plant is also from the Americas, and this time from my country."

I don't want to spoil anyone's parade, but I have sources that state that in N. Dakota, the plains there were covered in "wild straw-berries" when the first European settlers stopped there! As I remember what a native of the area said, "the town and or county called Pembinia, meant "strawberry!"

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/specials%20and%20holidays/Strawberries%20Origin%20Uses%20Recipes.htm

"Native American Indians were already eating strawberries when the Colonists arrived and it is believed that in 1780, the first strawberry hybrid was developed in the USA."

But, perhaps I am mis-informed?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2010 at 15:30
Also, if I may be so bold, there existed native American grapes (I assume) that have been made into wine for a few centuries!

Perhaps they are just a product of the South, and most of you Yankees do not know of them?

One is named and spelled, I believe, as Muscadine!, and as well Scupperdine!

But, perhaps the following site will quell future questions?

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/natives.asp
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2010 at 11:06
In Yankee land the names are Muscat, and Scuppernong.  Fox grapes also.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2011 at 13:40

We now have pyramids in Peru predating the Egyptians' great pyramid:  

http://www.philipcoppens.com/caral.html

Edited by unclefred - 31-Mar-2011 at 17:08
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2011 at 09:35
With the new remote sensing tools available now, I think your going to see an influx of new info. that just might surprize everyone.  I personally believe that Caral is much older than what is being reported.
There are several sites which have been discovered too recent to have been fully investigated yet.  The one I'm waiting for is the site that has a pryramid with a base of 6.5 sq. Kilometers.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>