Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Norsemen in sagas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norsemen in sagas
    Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 16:00
Is there anything about the physical appearance of the Norsemen in Icelandic sagas?? I'm also interested in the description of their way of living et cetera. Thanks in advance.
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 16:54
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

Is there anything about the physical appearance of the Norsemen in Icelandic sagas?? I'm also interested in the description of their way of living et cetera. Thanks in advance.

There are some description, but they are very generic. All those Sagas and Eddas are written by people after the fact, or that is assumed. We also have a work called Saxo (actually the author) and it also describes people as Beautiful and strong etc.

For descriptions of their actual look, I think it would be better to read descriptions from other people, as they may notice the peculiarities more.

Also, Saxo's work was very nationalistic, and probably not all that trustworthy. Some of the content is almost identical to some of the Icelandic Eddas, however.

That said, I'm sure that they resembled the people of Scandinavia as they are now, from a physical point of view. There has been very little migration into Scandinavia (since then), so the people here are the same as always. A sedentary rural people.

Some graves and artefact have been found, but it is uncommon.

There was a large Viking grave with a longship that was found in England a few years back, but I don't know much about it, maybe someone else does?

Edited by Jams - 17-Nov-2008 at 17:03
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 08:24
The sagas often give detailed descriptions of individuals, but rarely of whole groups. For a general description of the Norsemen try the 10th century Arab writer Ahmad ibn Fadlan's account of his encounter with them on the river Volga, where he not only describes physical appearance and dress but also social and religious aspects. Here is an excerpt:

"I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Itil. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blond and ruddy; they wear neither tunics nor caftans, but the men wear a garment which covers one side of the body and leaves a hand free. Each man has an axe, a sword, and a knife, and keeps each by him at all times. The swords are broad and grooved, of Frankish sort. Each woman wears on either breast a box of iron, silver, copper, or gold; the value of the box indicates the wealth of the husband. Each box has a ring from which depends a knife. The women wear neck-rings of gold and silver. Their most prized ornaments are green glass beads. They string them as necklaces for their women."
 Post Reply Post Reply