Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NCAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NCAA Football
    Posted: 14-Nov-2008 at 20:57
Other than we Nordamericans, I doubt there will be much interest in this, but does anyone have any observations or anything he wants to get off his chest? 

I will start:  I am weary of hearing about how mighty the South East Conference is and how everyone else plays weak schedules and stone age football, etc.  There may be some SEC fans and alumni here, but I think the SEC is a touch football association that just runs up and down the field and can't play defense.

(Boy I am probably gonna get it...)

Anyway, people who think the SEC plays tough defense have not been paying attention to the scores down there recently. 

Not only that, but they never play anyone outside the South.  If Billy Bob and Bubba had to play in a physical conference week after week, they would be crying for their mommies.  Bunch of wimps.

Anyone care to comment?  Big%20smile

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 00:15
SEC fans? Who cares! Star

Yeah, they play good football and are recipients of abundant talent from the south but I'm not sold on that conference yet. Georgia turned into peach cobbler this year. Tennessee, bye bye Fulmer. Alabama, can anyone say Saban? Florida, because of Urban Meyer. LSU, two blowouts so far. As you are aware they are not really famous for their defense.

All leagues are tough but these things go in transitions. Unfortunately I can't brag much cause the Big Ten has been blowing big chunks on the field. Yet, they had been known for tough defenses over the years. The Big 12 is the top conferance this year for offense but those guys don't play defense either. Pac 10, forgetaboutit. USC is the only consistency out there and they are formidable. The rest of that conference blows.

Case in point. Florida State and Miami, high flying southern offenses, get thrown into the ACC mix and what happens? They can't even win their conference. No more National Championships from them.

Independents get no favours either. Penn State was all that before joining the Big Ten but then learned what it feels like to play, year in and year out, with the big boys.

Alright I'm blabbering but then again it was a sweet Citrus Bowl loss for the Gators last year.  Smile
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 00:35
The PAC 10 is a joke.  USC is the only program out there and they are a bunch of beach boys.  They choke and puke on someone every year.

Your comment about the Independents is well taken, and Notre Dame is just a vestigial remain of what they were.  You cannot survive as an indpendent anymore.  Penn State knew that when it went into the Big 10, and it helps keep the coffers full.

That is what intercollegiate athletics is for, right?  Can you spell BCS?  Can you say television?

The ratings are helped by those 52 to 38 scores.  It looks like they are intentionally throwing games to pump up the ratings....well, not really, but its all about "style points" now, and you have to kick the hell out of everyone.  It has degraded the game I think.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 15-Nov-2008 at 00:43
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 01:08
USC is not really tested unless UCLA gets their act together. Who knows when that will be then again who really cares! Plus those Trojans seem to get the high falutin 5 star picks all the time.

Right on Pike! Notre Dame is lost. Weiss is on the hot seat and deservedly so. Correct on the independents too. Unless you have the social network and traditional brotherhood of the military (Army, Navy, Air Force) the other independents will need the dough to compete.  NBC rights and Catholic alumnists are enough now but what happens to the Irish when the TV contracts are over? Not good I presume.

I would like to see a playoff. Style points would take a backseat to sudden death. Plus it equals to more football. Good for you. Good for me. Good for the American people (said as doing a Jack Nicholson impersonation). Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Seko - 15-Nov-2008 at 01:09
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 03:47
UCLA my but!UCLA is th joke.USC is the best all around team in the NCAA along with Florida.If you ask me it should be USC and Florida in the title game.
Also Micheal Crabtree of Texas Tech is aammaazziinngg!!Texas Techs offense all together is a beast.But dont forget Javon Wringer form Michigan st.2000 rush yards by game 8!

So heres my end of year ranking picks

1.Alabama 12-0
2.Texas 11-1
3.Florida 11-1
4.Oklohoma 11-1
5.USC 11-1
6.Penn State 11-1
7.Texas Tech 11-1
8.Utah 12-0
9.Boise State 12-0
10.Oklohoma State 11-1
11.Missouri 10-2
12.Georgia 10-2
13.Ball State 12-0
14.BYU 10-2
15.North Carolina 10-2
16.TCU 9-3
17.LSU 8-4
18.Michigan (state) 10-2
19.PittsBurgh 10-2
20.Cinncinati 10-2
21.Oregon Sate 9-3
22.California 9-3
23.South Carolina 8-4
24.Tulsa 10-2
25.Florida State 10-2

In ths SEC championship game Florida beats Albama and inthe big 12 championship Texas makes a statement against Missouri.That puts Alabama out of the picture and Texas right in it.

NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN MIAMI FLORIDA

Florida 45 Texas 35

Edited by Goblin Monkey - 15-Nov-2008 at 03:55
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 03:58
A lot of people would like to see a playoff, including Paterno.

USC might only go to the "title game" if they lose out on the Rose Bowl.  Frankly, the Rose Bowl may be a bigger payoff, but if Oregon State wins out, USC doesn't go there.....DUH...the BSC strikes again.  This whole thing is a bunch of BS (BS_SC).

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 04:03
Alabama...you gotta be kidding me!

These guys have have had a hard time finishing out, and have struggled against pretty questionable opponents.  The finishing thing may be part of their lack of depth, and of their problems with scholarships after the "probation" of the recent years (typical SEC crap).

Nick Saban will bolt at the first hint of bigger money.  I would take Joe Paterno any time.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 15-Nov-2008 at 04:04
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 04:13
UCSD needs a football team.
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 04:28

It was great (and hardly believable) to see Minnesota ranked this year.Smile  I knew that was not going to last, but it was sure enjoyable to see.  Especially since Michigan is in the toilet this year.Ouch 

I love the torching of the SEC, it gets tiresome hearing how the big ten is too slow and unimaginative.  (even considering our record against the SEC the past few years; but thats because of Ohio state, and I'm always glad to see them lose)

Now I only have Texas left to root for.  They're back in the top 5 though, so I'm feeling good about that.  (now that minnesota was briefly resuscitated its Texas A&M's turn...)
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:41
It doesnt come as a surprise. Though USC will once again be the Pac-10 champs, Oregon St. will go to the Rose Bowl.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:52
Penelope you take an interest in football?Bowing I could kiss you!HugHeart 

Edited by Count Belisarius - 18-Nov-2008 at 01:54

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 15:18

The whole SEC thing is soooo annoying.  Saturday evening, we were assaulted by "The SEC on CBS" thing.  Come on.....the SEC has been sold to the public by TV and now has its own network masquerading as an independent one.  Alabama vs Mississippi State...Please!  What a marquee attraction.

Ah, and those Bayou Bengals were getting their heads handed to them by mighty Troy State until those guys wore down in the fourth quarter.  Geaux Bleaux!

71 points in that game.  Tough defense.  LOL   Maybe CBS can get the contract for SEC track and field.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 18-Nov-2008 at 15:24
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2008 at 20:39
G.B. your predictions are off the mark. Better start a new list.

Forget about the SEC for a moment. Pikeshot, did you catch any of the Miami-Georgia Tech game? GT''s ground game rumbled for 472 yeards. I love that stuff. Harkens back to a byegone era when triple options, wishbones and the I-formation was the best thing since leather helmets. That is what has been missing lately. Too much fancy passing and not enough good running teams in the country.

So here is the deal with this thread so far: A) defense is king, B) The PAc-10 and the BCS are jokes, C) Independents take the easy road, D) JoePa over Saban, E) Justinian needs to find a college to cheer for, F) the Count has the hots for miss Penelope, G) good to see a great running game; and most important of all, H) the SEC is way overrated.

Edited by Seko - 21-Nov-2008 at 20:41
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 00:28
Good football is (and always has been) the running game.  It requires more practice and more execution during the game, especially from the offensive line.  Those fat linemen in the passing conferences don't have to be in shape to just stand up and bump someone.  If the defense has any speed at the ends, they can be cancelled out.

Passing is the substitute for good football.  I remember Don Coryell (S.D. Chargers) saying as a result of his team's pass-it-on-every-down game plans, "It is the only way you can beat someone who is better then you are."  That may be so, but you can't do it every time, and I don't recall that his teams were all that good.  I reiterate, if the SEC pansies had to compete in a physical conference, they would not make it.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 14:39
Well, the season is almost complete, and the BCS (aka B.S.CS) is showing itself for what it is.

The grey eminences behind this pale imitation of a military-industrial complex have massaged the "standings" to make sure that whatever happens, they get their matchup between an SEC team (where CBS has a major financial stake) and the Big 12 where the strongest football is really played (even though defense is an afterthought there too).  This is all for the validation of pundits who must be proven right for TV ratings.

The top ten is almost always comprised of the usual suspects, and the top five have to be the marquee names every year.  That gets a backup in position to validate punditry in case there is an upset.

The TV interests don't like the Big Ten (so yesterday; so unglamorous rust belt), and whoever that representative is anymore will be dissed.  They throw a bone to a non-BCS conference team every year (Boise State/Hawaii/Utah, etc.) even though those teams usually don't do very well in the bowls.  That builds up bowl records for SEC teams.  LOL  It guarantees they beat someone outside the South.

USC is always in there because Los Angeles is the land of entertainment and make believe, even though few teams in that conference out there have been competitive for a decade.  In the past, especially when Keith Jackson was still doing games, it was clearly ABC TV's team of choice for many years....it was a good way to get the press for championships not played for on the field, and for Heisman Trophies.

So, whoever you root for, remember, TV calls all the shots and that's that.  The BCS keeps nearly all the money in the big conferences, and TV gets its preferred TV matchup every January.  Computer rankings my ass.

I am with Obama.  Time for a playoff.

Will it happen?  No.  Three reasons:  1) money, 2) money and 3) money.

We all know intercollegiate athletics is about building character and playing for the school colors, right?   Wait...what is that sewer-like odor?

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 24-Nov-2008 at 14:45
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 15:23
Critical thinking shows that the Bowl (fat)Chance Series is so enamored with the SEC and Big 12 this year that we might even see the loser of the Big 12 title ending up in the championship game. Reminiscent of Nebraska a few years back. Imagine how stupid things will look if Missouri wins the title. Would they then leapfrog over everyone else (highly doubtful but would make for stupid drama)?

Texas Tech get's blown out by Oklahoma and that should be enough for the pollsters to place them behind a team they never played and only that lost once (by a field goal) - Penn State. The Nittany lions should be ranked much higher for taking the Big Ten the way they did.

How about an Obama Bowl? The top 8 teams (whiner of the BCS get's in too) battle it out after all the other bowl games.

Edited by Seko - 24-Nov-2008 at 15:26
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 19:40
Seko, those guys are enamored of the SEC every year.  That is all you hear about week in and week out on the "talking football head" shows on game days.  Guys like Lee Corso.  LOL

As far as the most recent rankings, I see Texas Tech is still ahead of Penn State.  I have seen Texas Tech play two games, and I have not been that impressed by their style of football or by their lack of discipline and organization.  The head coach looks like he is in a trance, and they are like leading the big conferences in penalties...hardly an indication of either preparation or competent coaching.  To get blown out as badly as they did by OU is a big black mark, but it didn't cost them that much in the nether world of the BCS.  Gotta have those potential backup teams from the "right" conference, you know.

I just can't see some of these teams being able to handle a Big Ten schedule as physical as the Big Ten is.  All these fat linemen look like they are winded by the third quarter, and the other players only run around in some of the most ill organized ways.  Oklahoma at least had a running game...oh well, I rant on.  Big%20smile

Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 21:12
My NEW top 25

1.Oklohoma 11-1 (they win the big 12 south with win over Oklohoma State then win big 12)
2.FLorida 11-1 (beats Alabama and wins the SEC)
3.Texas 11-1
4.USC 11-1
5.Utah 12-0
6.Texas Tech 11-1
7.Penn State 11-1
8.Boise State 12-0
9.Ohio State 10-2
10.Georgia 10-2
11.TCU 10-2
12.Ball State 12-0
13.Alabama 11-1
14.Oklohoma State 9-3
15.Missouri 9-3
16.Georgia 9-3
17.Oregon State 9-3
18.Cinncinati 9-3
19.Oregon 9-3
20.BYU 10-2
21.Boston College 9-3
22.Michigan State 9-3
23.Georgia Tech 9-3
24.Norht Western 9-3
25.Pittsburgh 8-4

BOWLS

National Championship
Florida 49 vs. Texas 42 

Rose Bowl
Oregon State 16 vs. Penn State 35
Orange

Edited by Goblin Monkey - 28-Nov-2008 at 21:26
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2008 at 15:03
WooHoo!!!!!

The UC Bearcats are Big East Champs thanks to Pitt beating WVU!!!!

Now we have two meaningless games against Syracuse and Hawaii, instead of actually having to worry about Syracuse pulling a Pitt style upset.

Orange Bowl here we come!!!
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2008 at 14:07
Well, well, well, the USC Condoms lay another one on the ghost of Knute Rockne.  Big deal.

They showed themselves to be their usual arrogant selves, hot-doggong it in the end zone with chest thumping narcissism (including excessive celebration penalty) fed by the TV ratings whores.  (I don't like these guys; get it?  Big%20smile )   USC is always very pleased with themselves playing year-in and year-out in that weak Pacific 10 conference and being lionized by the L.A. television execs. 

What pisses me off is the perennial build up for the "Notre Dame rivalry" and the myth that USC has accomplished something.  Notre Dame has not been all that competitive in the last decade.  They have lost to USC seven straight times by far more than 20 points!  N.D. has lost their last NINE bowl games!  Those are not trends, they amount to a collapse.

If anyone is overrated in this BCS voodoo, it is that bunch of So Cal beach boy snots.  Oh, and they have fugly colors and they all need a haircut.  Smile

I am done now. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>