Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do creationist explain fossil fuels?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do creationist explain fossil fuels?
    Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 20:56
Originally posted by Jams

Yes, I have no reason to think otherwise. The notion that everything is an illusion and thus nothing can be concluded does not make a young earth any more logical than any other position. If you really believe that nothing can be trusted, that our senses tell us nothing of the world, then you can conclude nothing about the age of the earth - or anything else, for that matter.

I don't think that nothing can be trusted. But that you have to be careful what you trust.

I don't consider our senses useless but see different their utility. I see them as a way God communicates to us things.

In this case - yes, that was an impression, surely. That is because it was my impression of you, and therefore not something I could truly know. Hence I said "if". Nothing to do with the subject of the age of the world. You have actually not provided any good reason what so ever that the world should be only a few thousand years old. You only claim that it is "illogical" to think that it is old, and that "common sense" dictates that it is young.

I don't really think we can get any further with this, unless you provide some kind of reasoning.

1. I excluded the materialist theory because mattery cann't exist without a cause.

2. From a theistic point of view, I compared the two variants, young earth and old earth and found the first one more probable, for the reasons I presented (the age of earth coincides with the age of humanity which could not be very old as I don't see why would God keep people in caves hundreds thousands years).

Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 22:54
Originally posted by Menumorut

Yes, I have no reason to think otherwise. The notion that everything is an illusion and thus nothing can be concluded does not make a young earth any more logical than any other position. If you really believe that nothing can be trusted, that our senses tell us nothing of the world, then you can conclude nothing about the age of the earth - or anything else, for that matter.

I don't think that nothing can be trusted. But that you have to be careful what you trust.

I don't consider our senses useless but see different their utility. I see them as a way God communicates to us things.

In this case - yes, that was an impression, surely. That is because it was my impression of you, and therefore not something I could truly know. Hence I said "if". Nothing to do with the subject of the age of the world. You have actually not provided any good reason what so ever that the world should be only a few thousand years old. You only claim that it is "illogical" to think that it is old, and that "common sense" dictates that it is young.

I don't really think we can get any further with this, unless you provide some kind of reasoning.

1. I excluded the materialist theory because mattery cann't exist without a cause.

2. From a theistic point of view, I compared the two variants, young earth and old earth and found the first one more probable, for the reasons I presented (the age of earth coincides with the age of humanity which could not be very old as I don't see why would God keep people in caves hundreds thousands years).

1. Well, then either nothing exists, or there is a cause. This still has nothing to do with the age of the world. It is quite irrelevant. The whole sentence lacks logic.

2. You call that reasoning? So, you decide what Gods intentions was? That is an assumption on your part, an idea in your head, and nothing more than that. And you criticise me for relying on my senses!

Don't forget that people didn't live in caves, that's only something people say for fun. Some people some time may have, but it is definitely not a general thing. Not that it really matters if they did.

Never mind, as I already stated, this is pointless. No one truly answered the OP's question.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 23:11

1. Well, then either nothing exists, or there is a cause. This still has nothing to do with the age of the world. It is quite irrelevant. The whole sentence lacks logic.

2. You call that reasoning? So, you decide what Gods intentions was? That is an assumption on your part, an idea in your head, and nothing more than that. And you criticise me for relying on my senses!

1. No. Mattery cann't have the explanation of its existence in itself, as can God.

2. God is not senseless and irrational. And also he is not playing with humans' lives. We know these from Bible where we are told about a good God. Why take Bible for understanding God? Because there is not other book that has such strong ideas about God, that hardly can be the creation of a human mind. Yes, is not perfect what I say. I tried to come with a theoretical-logical demonstration, but it seems that is not working. The Atheists want philosophical debates, I want to learn the truth beyond prejudices, we have not common objectives.

No one truly answered the OP's question.

I think I did, perhaps others too.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 11:41
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Originally posted by gcle2003

Personally that seems to be attributable to you.
Since you attacked my views, not I yours, your opinion is unfounded. Or perhaps once more you proved you didn't actually understand what I wrote there.
Your original comment was silly and childish. My response was meant to make that point (since it too was obviously silly and childish. 'You are...', 'No you are...', 'No you are...' is not a way to conduct any kind of sensible discussion.
Whether the factual assertion is true or not is immaterial. The point is that because it is a factual assertion it can be investigated scientifically (in principle anyway). That I make or believe the factual assertion because of my religious beliefs is also immaterial to the point.

Assume I believe my guru can walk on water. The proposition 'my guru walks on water every moring' is in principle testable and is a factual assertion. However the proposition 'My guru has special supernatural powers that enable him to walk on water', while it has the guise of a factual assertion, in fact is not, because it is inherently not falsifiable. And it is therefore a religious statement.
Nothing I disagree with. If you intended to give it as a correction to what I said, it proves my earlier point that you attack views you don't understand.
It also contradicts your position that the myth of Deluge is not a religious belief, because the Deluge happened following god's (a supernatural power) will and plan. 
No it doesn't. It's perfectly in line with my original position which was that the statement 'There was a deluge' is NOT a religious assertion, but 'God sent the deluge' IS a religious assertion.
I'm suprised you continue to confuse the two.

I don't see anything there that supports your view at all. Unfortunately I can't copy from it, but it quite plainly states that there are three positions that can be taken about religious beliefs (truth-claims). One is that they are all false because they attempt to provide explanations in ways contrary to scientific method. One is that they are neither true nor false: truth and falsehood are inapplicable because their meaning does not depend on truth conditions, but depend on emoptional states or moral considerations. The third is that the truth of religious statements is beyond verification since they refer to events that are inherently not investigatable, such as "the beginning of all things, the meaning of life, and life after death'.

Though this is a straw man (we were discussing about what religious beliefs are, not what positions non-religious people take on them), 
Nope. An unnecessarily snide remark and not a straw man at all. You quoted the source. It classifies religious beliefs under three headings (positions). My stating that was therefore not erectiing a straw man, it was merely recapitulating what you had introduced. If you now don't want to accept that classification, then why quote the passage in the first place?
it touches our point so I'll answer. I believe the religious beliefs fall under all three categories, but in particular I've dealt here with the first (refutable by science) and third (irrefutable because they are non-empricial, are metaphysical).
What you emphasized is exactly my point in this debate with you. Again, another evidence you argue against what you don't understand.
You don't appear to understand the word 'explanation' (the first position).

The assertion that there was deluge doesn't fit any of those categories. It is not an attempt to provide an explanation. It is either true or false, and does not refer to morality or emotional state. And it does not refer to something that is inherenty uninvestigatable.

So it isn't a religious statement.
Yes, the Deluge is an attempt to provide explanations, refers to morality and has also uninvestigable details (like god's role in it). If you don't understand why, I won't be bothered to explain.
What youj mean is you're beaten. The story of the deluge does not explain anything at all. What's to explain?  There was a universal flood. A man and his family survided with a load of animals. What does that 'explain'? Where's the 'morality' involved? In fact there's not even any supernatural power involved (so far).

That story is investigatable by science, at least in principle - in fact it's refutable simply on the ground that in the lifespan of humanity there hasn't been enough water to completely cover the earth.

However, once the story is 'explained' by attributiing it to God's will then it becomes a religious statement, and it is no longer refutable by scientific investigation. (As no religious statement is.) 

No it doesn't. It doesn't explain anything. The statement 'God caused the flood' explains the flood, but the statement 'there was a universal flood and only Noah's family escaped' doesn't explain anything.
It explains to me (if I'd believe it, but I have no problem imagining that I would and then it indeed does), and it explains to many other people (I know some personally, I've read theological and philosophical books, so I guess I can afford the generalization "many"), maybe it doesn't to you. But that won't change its explanatory power.
I note you dodge around confronting my point. What does it explain? In that whole paragraph you don't address that issue.
That statment is a caricature of what actually the Deluge myth is. Its main flaw is that is completely devoid of god.
But it is devoid of God. That's the point you keep missing. The assertion I made in the first place has no God in it at all. The statement that 'there was a universal flood' (which is common to more than the Abrahamic traditions) has nothing about God in it at all.

Which is part of the reason it isn't a religious statement, and is therefore testable empirically.
Yes. Creationists have been around a long time. The fact that they have only explained fossil fuels since fossil fuels were discovered doesn't mean creationists sprang into existence just for that purpose.

Incidentally creationists have been explaining fossil fuels for a lot longer than scientists have
Again you argue against things you don't understand.
[/QUOTE]
What on earth are you talking about? Just what are you claiming I don't understand? People have believed the universe was created by God for much longer than we have ever known fossil fuels existed. When fossil fuels were discovered (without checking, in western Europe that would be in the later middle ages, no? - certainly long before Darwin) any cleric would have told you that, like the rest of the world they were created by God (as a help to mankind, or whatever).

Scientific theories about the origin of fossil fuels aren't more than what? A couple of centuries old? 

It isn't me that's demonstrating misunderstanding.
But I take blame for that, instead of explanation I chose a subtlety. But since from experience trying to explain brings even more denial from your side, I will just drop this point. I will just clarify the other issuess, if anything will be worth clarifying.

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Nov-2008 at 11:45
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 13:02

Your original comment was silly and childish. My response was meant to make that point (since it too was obviously silly and childish. 'You are...', 'No you are...', 'No you are...' is not a way to conduct any kind of sensible discussion.
My original comment was and still is true. You fail to understand most of the things I hold. I can only pity the one who finds sillyness when he's told he's missing the point.

No it doesn't. It's perfectly in line with my original position which was that the statement 'There was a deluge' is NOT a religious assertion, but 'God sent the deluge' IS a religious assertion.

Continuous denial. My original position was "God sent the deluge" (I was talking about the Biblical Deluge all along, should I quote myself? Have you read the Bible?). I'm surprised as well by your incapacity of understanding, moreover as it seems to be a chronic symptom.

Nope. An unnecessarily snide remark and not a straw man at all. You quoted the source.
I linked a source for defining the religious beliefs, I quoted something from the source, as well (a part of the definition I found relevant for our discussion). Since you obviously do not understand what I say, you're stripped off from the lucidity to claim what is a straw man or not. To realize such a thing, you need first to understand what I hold.

(positions). My stating that was therefore not erectiing a straw man, it was merely recapitulating what you had introduced. If you now don't want to accept that classification, then why quote the passage in the you now don't want to accept that classification, then why quote the passage in the(positions). My stating that was therefore not erectiing a straw man, it was merely recapitulating what you had introduced.

I accepted the classification and I didn't quote that passage.

It's a symptom I noticed often common to many forum trolls. They often jump to reply before they actually read what their opponent has to say. You practice it quite often, and I noticed it in our past debates. For instance in this case, you accused me of not accepting the classification, though in the next sentence (in the same paragraph!) I confirmed I accept all three categories of classification. Of course, my acceptance was ignored even when you replied to that portion of text which contains it. Which is another common trolling practice to dodge the inconvenient and continue monologuing.

You don't appear to understand the word 'explanation' (the first position
Since you don't know what it explains, you can't afford such a judgement.

What youj mean is you're beaten. The story of the deluge does not explain anything at all. What's to explain?  There was a universal flood. A man and his family survided with a load of animals. What does that 'explain'? Where's the 'morality' involved? In fact there's not even any supernatural power involved

That story is investigatable by science, at least in principle - in fact it's refutable simply on the ground that in the lifespan of humanity there hasn't been enough water to completely cover the earth.

It explains, if you don't understand it's your problem, not mine, not the myth's. Honestly I am tired of providing free lessons for idiots and/or ignorants (whether they are really so or they just fake it). It's not my fault some people did not read the Bible, it's not my fault some people did not read scholarship related to it or simply they do not have the intellectual capacity to understand.
I'll just throw few references:
- of course, the Bible, Genesis, chapters 6-8, though some NT books worth rearding like Peter's epistles or apocryphals like the book of Enoch
- cultural anthropology: Andrei Oişteanu, Legenda românească a potopului (The Romanian legend of Deluge), a study on syncretic pagan-Christian account, some of the elements analysed are those from the Bible - the opposition between god's order and chaos, the ark symbolism, sending animals to check for land, etc. Among others the study focuses on the meanings (themselves mythical or not) of the elements present in this myth
- theology: Michel Quinot, De l'icône au festin nuptial. Image, Parole et Chair de Dieu, it discusses the meaning of various motifs, elements, narratives from the Bible, from iconic perspective but not only. Among others it shows the cosmis roles of waters, their sin cleansing nature. For clearer parallels with the Deluge check the "classical" Christian theology, e.g. John of Damascus about the three prefigurations of the Christian baptism
This could expand endlessly, topic for an entire thread, for an entire book.

Though I believe one needs not to be a rocket scientist to realize the baselessness of your position if he'll just sacrifice a bit of time to read the Bible:
gcle2003: In fact there's not even any supernatural power involved (so far)
Bible, Genesis, 6.13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
Bible, Genesis, 7.4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth

However, once the story is 'explained' by attributiing it to God's will then it becomes a religious statement, and it is no longer refutable by scientific investigation. investigation. (As no religious statement is)
You have a short memory. Let me quote from that site what you have already summarized: "The first position asserts that all religious beliefs are false: they attempt to explain perceived phenomena in a way that is often contrary to scientific principles, and in any case religious beliefs cannot be empirically verified". So, according to some, religious beliefs can be refuted by science when they cross each other's paths or they can be simply get ignored (because they are not empirically testable).

I note you dodge around confronting my point. What does it explain? In that whole paragraph you don't address that
You have no point, you have a limitation in understanding. I don't owe you any answers. It explains to me. Call me a liar and join my fanclub, or trust me and concede the argument. Or change your personality and maybe I'll be giving more answers.

But it is devoid of God. That's the point you keep missing. The assertion I made in the first place has no God in it at all. The statement that 'there was a universal flood' (which is common to more than the Abrahamic traditions) has nothing about God in it at all.

Which is part of the reason it isn't a religious statement, and is therefore testable empirically
But this is your strawman, we're not talking about your statement (maybe you do, but I don't and you attacked my position), but about the Biblical flood. And God is everywhere in those passages. And at the same time, some of the claims made there can be tested empirically (or refuted by scientific grounds, based on other theories built empirically).

What on earth are you talking about? Just what are you claiming I don't understand? People have believed the universe was created by God for much longer than we have ever known fossil fuels existed. When fossil fuels were discovered (without checking, in western Europe that would be in the later middle ages, no? - certainly long before Darwin) any cleric would have told you that, like the rest of the world they were created by God (as a help to mankind, or whatever).

Scientific theories about the origin of fossil fuels aren't more than what? A couple of centuries old?

Like I said, I'm not going to clarify this point to you. You're further off the track, but I won't ruin your pleasure to keep monologues.

Edited by Chilbudios - 20-Nov-2008 at 13:05
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 14:11

Not really, you may have explained your personal reasons, but that isn't necessarily the explanation of "creationists" in general.

Gcle2003 did provide one explanation, that it was created by God as is. But the argument sort of drifted into a discussion about the timeframe of various explanations. His explanations is just an extrapolation of a generic idea about the world in general, not a specific modern day Creationist explanation of the existence of fossil fuels, even though it may be the same in the end.

Edited by Jams - 20-Nov-2008 at 14:18
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 14:37
not a specific modern day Creationist explanation of the existence of fossil fuels
You're correct, the OP did not quite get his answer. Because almost no one has dealt with modern Creationism and its claims and methods. I'm not very familiar with them (I had patience to read only one Creationist book, and that was too much for me, most of the information I have from discussion boards like IIDB) but if I reckon correctly an often position is that of denying the scientific results. I encountered two positions, sometimes held together:
- fossilization happened more recently and took less time than mainstream scholars argue
- fossil fuels are abiotic, i.e. not from fossils - on this one I remember some creationists gloating when the estimates for oil reserves failed/changed, in their view that proved the mainstream fossil fuel theoretization is wrong
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 15:26
Funny, but those two arguments contradict each other very much. It can only be one or the other. Actually there are scientists that believe that the majority of the CH or C in the earths surface has an abiotic origin - it is not a creationist idea. Still, the process does require a fair bit of time, so the YEC's shouldn't gloat too much just because of that.

Anyho, the recent findings of oil and gas are actually based on the usual idea of formation - the idea predicts where oil and gas can be found, and often that's where it is found. Going in to detail about it is probably besides the point here.

A last thing with relation to the last part you wrote -sometimes the oil reserves are adjusted not because new reserves are found, but because the exploitaion of the fields have become much more efficient. And the un-profitable fields that couldn't be used now may be profitable because of new methods and high prices.

There's a lot more to it than that.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 16:07

Your original comment was silly and childish. My response was meant to make that point (since it too was obviously silly and childish. 'You are...', 'No you are...', 'No you are...' is not a way to conduct any kind of sensible discussion.
My original comment was and still is true. You fail to understand most of the things I hold. I can only pity the one who finds sillyness when he's told he's missing the point.

Just continuing childishness. 'Do', 'Don't', 'Do', 'Don't'....

Continuous denial. My original position was "God sent the deluge" (I was talking about the Biblical Deluge all along, should I quote myself?

That is simply untrue. Look at my post of November 18 at 12:42 CET (GMT+1).

[You may compare some of the religious beliefs - those which are verifiable, like "there was a Deluge in the times of Noah so that only mount Ararat was above the waters" -
That's not a religious belief, it's a scientific (historical anyway) assertion.
I then added:
A religious belief would be that the deluge was caused by God to punish the people of Earth.
Your statement that I opposed was "You may compare some of the religious beliefs - those which are verifiable, like "there was a Deluge in the times of Noah so that only mount Ararat was above the waters".
It didn't say God sent anything, it didn't mention God at all. God has nothing to do with it. "There was a deluge in the times of Noah so that only Mount Ararat was above the waters" is not a religious statement whatsoever.  It's a simple, wrong, historical assertion.
Have you read the Bible?). I'm surprised as well by your incapacity of understanding, moreover as it seems to be a chronic symptom.
Can't avoid the ad hominems can you? They lose you credibility, they don't improve it. And yes I have in fact read all the Bible, a consequence perhaps of a misspent youth. But I don't see what that has to do with anything, since we're discussing a statement you made not one the Bible made. (See above.)

Nope. An unnecessarily snide remark and not a straw man at all. You quoted the source.
I linked a source for defining the religious beliefs, I quoted something from the source, as well (a part of the definition I found relevant for our discussion). Since you obviously do not understand what I say, you're stripped off from the lucidity to claim what is a straw man or not. To realize such a thing, you need first to understand what I hold.

I again notice you actually dodge the issue. You produced a set of definitions of what a religious statement is (whether you agreed with it or not, or whether at the time you had read it, I can't say). I in fact accepted the definitions. So how on earth you can call that a straw man (something I invented that you hadn't said) I have no idea.

(positions). My stating that was therefore not erectiing a straw man, it was merely recapitulating what you had introduced. If you now don't want to accept that classification, then why quote the passage in the you now don't want to accept that classification, then why quote the passage in the(positions). My stating that was therefore not erectiing a straw man, it was merely recapitulating what you had introduced.

I accepted the classification and I didn't quote that passage.
Well, providing a link to a source is in a sense quoting it. I assume you did it that way because the referenced site did not allow copying - the same reason I avoided literal quoting.

It's a symptom I noticed often common to many forum trolls.
And a recourse frequently adopted by people who know they are wrong but won't admit it is to yammer on about straw men, and how they'se been misunderstood, and to start accusing others of trolling.
The issue here is simple. "There was a deluge in the times of Noah" says nothing about god or morals or emotions and it in general soes not deal with metaphysical themes. It just doesn't. And you for some reason only you can know, but others can guess, simply refuse to admit it.
They often jump to reply before they actually read what their opponent has to say. You practice it quite often, and I noticed it in our past debates. For instance in this case, you accused me of not accepting the classification,
No I didn't. It would possibly be more relevant for you to read the thread than me read the Bible. I said "If you now don't want to accept that classification".
 though in the next sentence (in the same paragraph!) I confirmed I accept all three categories of classification. Of course, my acceptance was ignored even when you replied to that portion of text which contains it. Which is another common trolling practice to dodge the inconvenient and continue monologuing.

You don't appear to understand the word 'explanation' (the first position
Since you don't know what it explains, you can't afford such a judgement.

What youj mean is you're beaten. The story of the deluge does not explain anything at all. What's to explain?  There was a universal flood. A man and his family survided with a load of animals. What does that 'explain'? Where's the 'morality' involved? In fact there's not even any supernatural power involved

It explains, if you don't understand it's your problem, not mine, not the myth's.

Again you simply dodge the issue. If it explains something then what does it explain? Since you can't answer you simply switch to calling me an idiot or ignorant or a troll faking idiocy or ignorance. That isn't going to impress anyone. A simple straightforward answer might.

All the rest of the stuff you quote below about the bible and theology and cultural anthropology and so on is completely irrelevant, faux savant though it may be. We are discussing the simple statement that there was a flood in the times of Noah such that only Mount Ararat was above the waters. That's all. And it's not a religious statement, which makes it in principle falsifiable by God.

Honestly I am tired of providing free lessons for idiots and/or ignorants (whether they are really so or they just fake it).
You might bear in mind that I published a book on cultural anthropology around the time you were born.
It doesn't make me unchallengeable, but it does indicate something.
It's not my fault some people did not read the Bible, it's not my fault some people did not read scholarship related to it or simply they do not have the intellectual capacity to understand.
I'll just throw few references:
- of course, the Bible, Genesis, chapters 6-8, though some NT books worth rearding like Peter's epistles or apocryphals like the book of Enoch
- cultural anthropology: Andrei Oişteanu, Legenda românească a potopului (The Romanian legend of Deluge), a study on syncretic pagan-Christian account, some of the elements analysed are those from the Bible - the opposition between god's order and chaos, the ark symbolism, sending animals to check for land, etc. Among others the study focuses on the meanings (themselves mythical or not) of the elements present in this myth
- theology: Michel Quinot, De l'icône au festin nuptial. Image, Parole et Chair de Dieu, it discusses the meaning of various motifs, elements, narratives from the Bible, from iconic perspective but not only. Among others it shows the cosmis roles of waters, their sin cleansing nature. For clearer parallels with the Deluge check the "classical" Christian theology, e.g. John of Damascus about the three prefigurations of the Christian baptism
This could expand endlessly, topic for an entire thread, for an entire book.

Though I believe one needs not to be a rocket scientist to realize the baselessness of your position if he'll just sacrifice a bit of time to read the Bible:
gcle2003: In fact there's not even any supernatural power involved (so far)
Bible, Genesis, 6.13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
Bible, Genesis, 7.4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth

However, once the story is 'explained' by attributiing it to God's will then it becomes a religious statement, and it is no longer refutable by scientific investigation. investigation. (As no religious statement is)
You have a short memory. Let me quote from that site what you have already summarized: "The first position asserts that all religious beliefs are false: they attempt to explain perceived phenomena in a way that is often contrary to scientific principles, and in any case religious beliefs cannot be empirically verified". So, according to some, religious beliefs can be refuted by science when they cross each other's paths or they can be simply get ignored (because they are not empirically testable).

And you're just makiing stuff up. The quotation is correct. Personally I would say that the first position is true of only some religious beliefs (because I also accept the second and third positions. However, the quotation does not say or imply that such beliefs can be refuted by science, but that 'in any case' they cannot be empirically verified. If they cannot be empirically verified (a Popperian would of course say falsified) then they cannot be refuted by science, because science relies on empirical verification.

I note you dodge around confronting my point. What does it explain? In that whole paragraph you don't address that
You have no point, you have a limitation in understanding. I don't owe you any answers. It explains to me. Call me a liar and join my fanclub, or trust me and concede the argument. Or change your personality and maybe I'll be giving more answers.
Again you duck the question. Why is it so terrible for you to state what the proposition that there was a deluge explains? Apart from the obvious reason, which is what faute de mieux everyone will assume.

Which is part of the reason it isn't a religious statement, and is therefore testable empirically
But this is your strawman, we're not talking about your statement (maybe you do, but I don't and you attacked my position), but about the Biblical flood. And God is everywhere in those passages.

I've quoted above the statement of yours that I said was non-religious. It had absolutely no mention of God in it whatsoever. It was a simple statement, a statement of yours, not even a Biblical quotation.´
If anything partakes of the nature of a straw man it's your bringing God into it - which, as I said very early on, would make it a religious statement.
[/QUOTE]
And at the same time, some of the claims made there can be tested empirically (or refuted by scientific grounds, based on other theories built empirically).
[/QUOTE]
The religious statements can't be. The factual assertions can. That's the difference between the two.

Scientific theories about the origin of fossil fuels aren't more than what? A couple of centuries old?

Like I said, I'm not going to clarify this point to you. You're further off the track, but I won't ruin your pleasure to keep monologues.

Do you really think that kind of dodging around is clever? My statement was that creationists have been explaining the origin of fossil fuels for longer than scientists have. You quite obviously are just running away from admitting you were wrong to challenge that, obvious though it undoubtedly is.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 16:11
Jams,

I guess the tactic is something like holding abiotic origin for fossil fuels, and if in case someone will demolish that claim, they can always resort to the other argument that fossils are not that old and still keep their model viable.

I might have projected a caricature of what their actual arguments are because I didn't find anything worth remembering. If you have the patience, perhaps you should check some creationist sites or books and see what they really hold.

Edited by Chilbudios - 20-Nov-2008 at 16:12
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 16:22

Not really, you may have explained your personal reasons, but that isn't necessarily the explanation of "creationists" in general.

It did at least provide an answer from one creationist in particular. Smile

Gcle2003 did provide one explanation, that it was created by God as is. But the argument sort of drifted into a discussion about the timeframe of various explanations. His explanations is just an extrapolation of a generic idea about the world in general, not a specific modern day Creationist explanation of the existence of fossil fuels, even though it may be the same in the end.
Well it's the explanation I get from modern day creationists in and around Atlanta, Primitive Baptists for the most part. It is of course the same religious answer you would have got at pretty well any point in history (at least western history) after fossil fuels were discovered, but I don't think that disqualifies it as representing creationist thought.

It occurs to me that the phrase 'fossil fuels' to some extent immediately biasses the issue. To a creationist after all they aren't 'fossil' fuels in the first place. Coal is coal and oil is oil and gas is gas and that's what they always have been. 

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Nov-2008 at 16:25
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 17:38
Originally posted by Gcle2003

Just continuing childishness. 'Do', 'Don't', 'Do', 'Don't'....
It seems I have a toy, don't I? Tongue

That is simply untrue. Look at my post of November 18 at 12:42 CET (GMT+1).

[You may compare some of the religious beliefs - those which are verifiable, like "there was a Deluge in the times of Noah so that only mount Ararat was above the waters" -
That's not a religious belief, it's a scientific (historical anyway) assertion.
I then added:
A religious belief would be that the deluge was caused by God to punish the people of Earth.
Your statement that I opposed was "You may compare some of the religious beliefs - those which are verifiable, like "there was a Deluge in the times of Noah so that only mount Ararat was above the waters".
It didn't say God sent anything, it didn't mention God at all. God has nothing to do with it. "There was a deluge in the times of Noah so that only Mount Ararat was above the waters" is not a religious statement whatsoever.  It's a simple, wrong, historical assertion.
  "there was a Deluge in the times of Noah so that only mount Ararat was above the waters" refers to the Biblical Deluge (Noah, Ararat, obvious hints!) which was sent by God. I can't take fault for my opponent's ignorance (real or faked) or for pathological attempts of taking everything ad litteram and create annoyance in discussions.

Can't avoid the ad hominems can you? They lose you credibility, they don't improve it. And yes I have in fact read all the Bible, a consequence perhaps of a misspent youth. But I don't see what that has to do with anything, since we're discussing a statement you made not one the Bible made. (See above.)
What you call ad hominem is a simple fact you don't have the heart to admit: you miss my point continously, chronically. The statement I made was a reference to the Biblical Flood myth, not to anything else. My statement is not meaningful if taken as it is (who's Noah?).
You jumped in a discussion without understanding what was it about. Who's fault is it?

I again notice you actually dodge the issue. You produced a set of definitions of what a religious statement is (whether you agreed with it or not, or whether at the time you had read it, I can't say). I in fact accepted the definitions. So how on earth you can call that a straw man (something I invented that you hadn't said) I have no idea.
I didn't quote that passage to prove my point, passage which in itself was not about defining religious beliefs, but about showing how non-religious people react to them.

Well, providing a link to a source is in a sense quoting it. I assume you did it that way because the referenced site did not allow copying - the same reason I avoided literal quoting.
Not really. I actually linked that site to support my quote which followed (I usually provide references for my quotes), but you replied before finishing reading and understanding my point. Your assumption is thus wrong, and confirms that chronic inability I already pointed out.

And a recourse frequently adopted by people who know they are wrong but won't admit it is to yammer on about straw men, and how they'se been misunderstood, and to start accusing others of trolling.
The issue here is simple. "There was a deluge in the times of Noah" says nothing about god or morals or emotions and it in general soes not deal with metaphysical themes. It just doesn't. And you for some reason only you can know, but others can guess, simply refuse to admit it.
  Q.E.D.

No I didn't. It would possibly be more relevant for you to read the thread than me read the Bible. I said "If you now don't want to accept that classification".
It seems you're unable to quote yourself, even less to understand the thread or the Bible, you actually said "If you now don't want to accept that classification, then why quote the passage in the first place?" . And my point thus still stays. The two paragraphs from above are further evidence for it.

Again you simply dodge the issue. If it explains something then what does it explain? Since you can't answer you simply switch to calling me an idiot or ignorant or a troll faking idiocy or ignorance. That isn't going to impress anyone. A simple straightforward answer might.
I don't know how you really are but you certainly look like an idiot if you deny something you don't know or you start guesswork to decypher my motives for refusing you. Maybe you're ugly. LOL

All the rest of the stuff you quote below about the bible and theology and cultural anthropology and so on is completely irrelevant, faux savant though it may be. We are discussing the simple statement that there was a flood in the times of Noah such that only Mount Ararat was above the waters. That's all. And it's not a religious statement, which makes it in principle falsifiable by God.
 You have not read those books, what do you know about their relevance? 
And they fully support my point, I was discussing about the Biblical Deluge (caused by God). I don't know what are you discussing about and I don't really care, you attacked my position, it's your job to understand my points properly in order to justify your criticisms.

You might bear in mind that I published a book on cultural anthropology around the time you were born.
It doesn't make me unchallengeable, but it does indicate something.
Not really, crap gets published everywhere by everybody. If you're a scholar you'd brag with good reviews and showing in many bibliographies. You'd show the respect from your peers. Publishing a book is easy, getting recognition is hard.
And it's utterly irrelevant if it doesn't relate to the myths we're discussing.

And you're just makiing stuff up. The quotation is correct. Personally I would say that the first position is true of only some religious beliefs (because I also accept the second and third positions. However, the quotation does not say or imply that such beliefs can be refuted by science, but that 'in any case' they cannot be empirically verified. If they cannot be empirically verified (a Popperian would of course say falsified) then they cannot be refuted by science, because science relies on empirical verification.
You may want to read again, because it says as clearly as it can: "they attempt to explain perceived phenomena in a way that is often contrary to scientific principles"

Again you duck the question. Why is it so terrible for you to state what the proposition that there was a deluge explains? Apart from the obvious reason, which is what faute de mieux everyone will assume.
Because you don't deserve it. Because I wouldn't waste margaritas ante porcos. Because I see no use why would I feed even more trolling from your side, even more denial, why would I invest some hours in building interpretations (perhaps quite complex if they are supposed to clearly express my views), just to get trashed, massacred, by someone who has troubles in understanding much simpler points, like for instance, I'm talking about the Biblical account of the Flood. With such a poor record in understanding and with so much annoyance created to understand a one-liner from me, why do you expect I'll give you anything, except for killing my boredom? Do you really believe I choose you for debate because you're smart or well-read? Don't lie to yourself!

I've quoted above the statement of yours that I said was non-religious. It had absolutely no mention of God in it whatsoever. It was a simple statement, a statement of yours, not even a Biblical quotation.´
If anything partakes of the nature of a straw man it's your bringing God into it - which, as I said very early on, would make it a religious statement.
Ad nauseam. Already dealt with - point missed.

Do you really think that kind of dodging around is clever? My statement was that creationists have been explaining the origin of fossil fuels for longer than scientists have. You quite obviously are just running away from admitting you were wrong to challenge that, obvious though it undoubtedly is.
  I provided a hint (and had nothing to do with fossil fuels), you didn't understand it, perhaps my fault. I won't explain. Learn to receive "no" for an answer.

Edited by Chilbudios - 20-Nov-2008 at 17:45
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 18:01
Well I don't know if the last few pages were informative or not but it was an entertaining read for me. I have an idea. How about interested members present a conclusive closing arguement regarding your respective perspectives. That way we could cut through all of the supposed 'straw' from cloggin up the thread! Tongue

Edited by Seko - 20-Nov-2008 at 19:11
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 18:12
Or we can move to another thread or just abandon the discussion. I was merely defending a position I held, I'm not sure if anyone else but Graham is interested in that.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 18:16
I wouldn't want this thread to be closed though Chilbudios. Try my idea first. All interested parties can make closing arguements about their repective points of view. One other suggestion. Let's all refrain from comapring ourselves to other members or even mentioning them in posts.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 18:41
Originally posted by Seko

Well I don't know if the last few pages were informative or not but it was an entertaining read for me. I have an idea. How about interested members present a conclusive closing arguement regarding your respective perspectives. That way we could cut through all of the supposed 'straw' cloggin from up the thread! Tongue

A factual statement about something that happened in the world is susceptible in principle (not always in practice) to scientific analysis based on empirical observation.

A statement that attributes an event or other phenomenon to divine (or, more generally, supernatural) causation is not susceptible to such analysis. Such a statement is religious.

Examples ( a= category 1, b= category 2):
(a) Look over there and you will see a rainbow
(b) The rainbow was placed there by God as a sign to man.

(a) Humans are more intelligent than other animals
(b) God made humans superior to animals

(a) The dollar dived yesterday against the euro
(b) International currency speculators drove the dollar down yesterday against the euro.

(a) The planets were formed at the same time as the sun.
(b) God created the planets at the same time he created the sun.

In particular:
(a) Vegetation left undisturbed for millions of years will turn into oil, coal and gas. 
(b) Oil, coal and gas reserves were laid down by God for humainity's benefit when he created the earth.

(a) There was a universal flood that covered the whole earth.
(b) God covered the earth with a flood to punish humanity.

Note that if you simply believe there was such a flood, you can be convinced otherwise by contrary evidence. However if someone believes that God sent such a flood, then he cannot be refuted even by evidence showing there was no such flood because he has God's word that he did, and God's word trumps scientific evidence.

Beliefs that can be refuted by empirical analysis and testing are scientific. Beliefs that cannot be refuted by any argument or observation are religious (or, in a more general sense, 'metaphysical', religion being a subset of metaphysics).

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Nov-2008 at 18:56
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 19:04
Okay, my concluding statement: Anyone can just read the Bible, the book of Genesis, chapters 6, 7 and 8. The Biblical myth of Flood has both claims which can be verified and which cannot. In its entirety it is a religious belief that Flood happened as it is described in the Bible. To save Biblical literalism, God cannot be used always to trump science (or logic, because Bible also holds internal contradictions), unless we end in a 'all-is-simulation' type of worldview.
Religion is not only about having unverifiable claims (after all, there are religions without metaphysics, without transcendence), but about the way the belief are formed or changed, about holding sacred values and/or rituals, about having gods and/or prophets, and of course, about providing worldviews and justification for human experiences.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 19:13
Thank you gentlemen. Excellent closures. Feel free to continue the discussion with the hgih standards you both are known for.  
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 21:10
1: I agree that the Bible contains both testable ('scientific' or at least empirical) truth-claims and non-testable ('religious' or at least metaphysical) truth-claims. The same is true of pretty well all primarily religious works that make assertions about the world, just as it is true of most primarily scientific ones.

Some of those truth-claims are 'myths' - i.e. stories that explain observed phenomena. Such a myth is the story of Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japhet, which claims to explain the existence of racial diversity. Some are not - e.g. the statement that "Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech" (Genesis IV:18) which explains nothing, but would at least at one time have been testable.

Genesis VII:23: "Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark" falls into the latter category.

Genesis VIII:1: "But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded" falls into the former category.
2: Of course God's word trumps empirical evidence if you believe God is omnipotent (and that some particular text is his Word). In the same way empirical evidence trumps God's word if you don't believe in God (or him having a Word).

You cannot refute Darwinism by quoting the Bible And you cannot refute creationism by quoting empirical evidence. What's important is to recognise that creationism is not scientific but religious.

3: The above refers only to truth-claims - i.e. assertions about physical phenomena.  Many religious statements are not truth-claims in that sense, but are more in the nature of exhortations or principles.

4: I'm using religion in a broader sense than most people would, certainly to include any belief system that relies on inspiration or revelation.

5: I disagree that there are religions without metaphysics, though I agree there are religions without transcendence. I don't for instance think animism is transcendent, but it does depend on the metaphysical stance that everything (at least every living creature) has a soul. In fact I don't think that any human belief systems, religious or not, exist without metaphysics. Some of the differences in attitudes to quantum uncertainty are for instance due to metaphysical positions. I'd welcome an example of a religion without metaphysics.

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Nov-2008 at 21:12
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 21:18
How about all the C bound in compounds with Ca in calcite? After all, unlike oil and gas, the shells of the animals can very obviously be seen. It contain a very large part of the earths carbon.Tongue

I guess the answer "it was created by God as it is now, when the world was created" covers this phenomenon as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>