Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do creationist explain fossil fuels?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do creationist explain fossil fuels?
    Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 17:01
Menumorut, i'm sorry, i don't want to sound rude or so, but the understanding of some "ilogical" things here as you call them, is based on a fair background of positive sciences.

Certain things mentioned here are not at all illogical to me and as i stated before, I'm not an atheist nor someone that disrespects highly religious persons.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 17:19
Originally posted by Menumorut

By common sense I understand logic.

Well, so what's illogical about it? You have said that several times in this thread, but you have substantiated nothing.

Is it logic to have a belief that goes against all that we can observe? What is the logic in that?
And what is illogical about believing in something that is consistent with what we can observe in this world?

I've already mentioned that the Bible is based on a long oral tradition, and the people who wrote it down surely had to use concept that they themselves understood.
That seems pretty logical to me. I see no reason to believe that everything in the old testament (or Torah) is a literal truth.

Now, you claimed that you didn't base your idea of the age of the world on the Bible, but seriously, I can't imagine what else you could base it on. Where else would you get the idea that the world is only a little older than the first civilizations? Again, I don't know how or what you think, but claiming such a young age for the whole world seems very illogical to me, especially if you came to this conclusion without the bible.

To tell you the truth, I just don't believe you at all.

Edited by Jams - 18-Nov-2008 at 17:19
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 18:59
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Originally posted by gcle2003

That's not a religious belief, it's a scientific (historical anyway) assertion. A religious belief would be that the deluge was caused by God to punish the people of Earth.
As a religious belief it is non-falsifiable because of the argument that God then removed all traces of the flood.
I guess there's a slight twist of semantics, I used the syntagm "religious belief" to encompass both metaphysical (unprovable) beliefs but also beliefs derived from these, which pertain to the natural world (God caused the Deluge but the Deluge did happen and was so and so). And I conceded to Beylerbeyi that he can attack the latter, but that wouldn't mean an attack on religion as a whole. A non-literalist will just take a metaphor out of it and preserve his belief in god.

I don't think the story of the deluge arose from a religious belief. Deluge stories are widespread in various cultures and almost certainly derive either from folk memories or possibly from sheer poetic imagination / exaggeration.

That the deluge was caused by God is then a derived belief - a rationale created in order to explain the fact (at least, accepted fact) of the deluge.

Creationists start from observing the world, and construct the belief that God created it. They don't deduce the world's existence from a prior premise that God created one.

Edited by gcle2003 - 18-Nov-2008 at 19:01
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 19:10

Originally posted by Jams

It is different for me, and people like me, - to us common sense dictates that the observable represents the world as it is, as there's really nothing that speak against that notion.

By common sense I understand logic.
That's a really bad start. I don't see how you can recover from it. However you have to be prepared to accept that for most people 'logic' and 'common sense' are diffferent things entirely.

According to our worldview, the idea that the world should be only a few thousand years old goes against common sense, as it goes against all evidence so far.

Is more logical that the world is few thousands years old than billions. Because bing-bang theory is itself ilogical.
See - you answer a point about common sense by a response about logic. There is nothing anyway logical or illogical about the age of the earth, whether you are arguing the creationist side or the generally accepted one. Logic doesn't deal with reality.

When you come from a non-Christian background, or even a different Christian background, then the idea of a world that is so young seems strange, and fairly un-supported as an idea.

We are natively inclined to believe our first impressions. Let's turn back to logic, not to sensations.
First let's start using 'logic' properly as a term. Then we can consider whether there are any useful logical arguments on either side.

To many Christians, who consider themselves quite religious and fairly dogmatic, the idea of such a young world is completely alien.

That doesn't make wrong this idea. If they don't bring logical arguments, they are just under the influence of their prejudices, like you too.
I'll wait for anyone to produce a logical argument. As long as it is a logical argument, not just a misuse of the term 'logic'. The argument here is about premises, not conclusions, so logic is irrelevant.

Edited by gcle2003 - 18-Nov-2008 at 19:13
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 19:22

I don't think the story of the deluge arose from a religious belief. Deluge stories are widespread in various cultures and almost certainly derive either from folk memories or possibly from sheer poetic imagination / exaggeration.

That the deluge was caused by God is then a derived belief - a rationale created in order to explain the fact (at least, accepted fact) of the deluge.
Deluge motifs may have a true core to it, but that deluge story was so and so it is about several religiously derived beliefs. Examples:
- the chronology of the deluge related to the creation of the world, it is a moment when god wanted to wash away the sins of humanity and start afresh
- only a family chosen by god survive (though here it may be argued that it's a oral tradition of a moment in the past when the tribe's population decreased due to deluge, famine, disease etc. and they saw it as a punishment from the skies)
- they save all the species by preserving a pair of each
and similar such claims which can be refuted by scientific investigation if they are to be taken literally. And at least for some of them arguably no experience in the past of the community is responsible directly for such motifs in the narrative. It is a myth constructed (probably un-intentionally, though) to highlight some symbols, to emphasize a certain worldview. Some parts of it are oral memories, some other parts are derived from the religious beliefs that community held.

Creationists start from observing the world, and construct the belief that God created it. They don't deduce the world's existence from a prior premise that God created one.
I disagree. Creationism is a recent theory, it appeared thousands of years after the belief that world is created by god(s) was born. Creationism is about finding a justification to the belief that god created the world as we know it and us (in his image).

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 19:56
Hello to you all

Well unfortunately there is no such thing as common sense because of the simple fact that cultures are quite different in their perspective of what is and what is not common sense. What is accept to me as an Arab as common sense is seen as insanity by others and vise versa.

In discussions involving faith and science both teams get it wrong, faith is inherently one system of belief and science is another totally different system. The problem comes when one belief system tries to dominate the other in its own realm and here conflicts arise.

People of faith should stick to issues of faith, morality, worship and other stuff connected to it while people of science should stick to making the world a better place by utilizing scientific methods in the service of humanity.

The problem today is the "religionfication" of atheism. Atheist have turned atheism into a religion and while faith (which in essense is total belief in a certain perceived fact) is the tool of religion science is used (unwisely and in a totally ignorant manner) as the tool of atheism.

Science is independent of both and has nothing to do with them. Science work on the principle of addition and ommission. It describes the universe as it sees it with color blind eyes. Its results prove nothing nor deny anything except if it concerns previous theories. It has been proven, and I don't need to go into philosophical mumbo jumbo, that science cannot describe everything (read about the incompleteness theorems and you might understand). Such inherent limitations for the scientific method simply distroy both the scientific god they worship and their attempts to discredit theists because they are no better than them.

The same thing applies to theists and religionsts alike. If you don't like scientific facts and discoveries then it is your own business, your system is already based on faith so you don't need to prove your faith or else you are actually an agnostic not a true believer, faith doesn't need to be proven that is why it is called faith. Put making psuedo-science and fooling yourself into believing that you can "scientifically" prove what is totally wrong and even trying to force people to accept it is as wrong as the atheist case above.

Personally on this issue, I believe that God created Adam and Eve in heaven and sent them to earth and that humans did not evolve. But I do think that all other species did evolve over time and that earth is billions of years old. I am comfortable with my believe and need not to prove it because I totally believe in it. But to make a fuss and try to talk to an evolutionist to try to convince him is not my practice.

Al-Jassas
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 20:48
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello to you all

Well unfortunately there is no such thing as common sense because of the simple fact that cultures are quite different in their perspective of what is and what is not common sense. What is accept to me as an Arab as common sense is seen as insanity by others and vise versa.

Clearly, i agree. Common sense only makes sense in a single culture, it doesn't always work across cultures.  I think we can eradicate "common" and just talk about sense, in that case it is different. That things have to make sense. That apply nicely to what I wrote above, at least to me. There are claims that make sense, and there's nonsense.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 05:36
Originally posted by Flipper

Menumorut, i'm sorry, i don't want to sound rude or so, but the understanding of some "ilogical" things here as you call them, is based on a fair background of positive sciences. Certain things mentioned here are not at all illogical to me and as i stated before, I'm not an atheist nor someone that disrespects highly religious persons.

The so called sciences are a conglomerate of ideas perpetuated in the branch of each one by the unchecked taking of preceding 'discoveries' and theories. Born in the ideologically ossified society, one is brainwashed since young and has not the inspiration to reconsider all this tradition from its origins. When he/she becomes a licentiate and get a profession he may reach the necessary maturity to question these theories but it would mean to lose his/her job and social advantages so he/she rejects the idea.

Well, so what's illogical about it? You have said that several times in this thread, but you have substantiated nothing.

Its illogical to believe that from nothing can appear something or that something can exist from eternity without its existence having an explanation. God is the only explanation because an absolute rational and alive Being has the explanation of His existence in Himself: the nature of existence is infinitely different than what we naturally think. We think with our mind which see its sort of existence as the absolute kind of existence but actually this is a relative form of existence, bring from non-existence by a infinite superior Being Who has the real form of existence. So, the existence is far more different and grandious than we usually think.

And this kind of miraculous (for us) existence (of God) has the explanation in itself.

Now compare the materialist theory with this one. Which is more logical?

Is it logic to have a belief that goes against all that we can observe? What is the logic in that?

Yes, is logical, because nothing tell us our senses represents absolute guide marks.

I've already mentioned that the Bible is based on a long oral tradition, and the people who wrote it down surely had to use concept that they themselves understood.
That seems pretty logical to me. I see no reason to believe that everything in the old testament (or Torah) is a literal truth.

I disagree with your first idea but agree with the second one. I disagree because nothing happens fortuitous and I agree because Bible is not the literal truth (as most of Christians believe) but a helpful book and nothing more. God's plans are more complex than we think and the idea of a message of God to humanity is a human prejudice. Bible is a relative book but it serves God's purposes precisely.

Now, you claimed that you didn't base your idea of the age of the world on the Bible, but seriously, I can't imagine what else you could base it on. Where else would you get the idea that the world is only a little older than the first civilizations?

I don't contest that I took involuntary this idea from Bible, as I took ideas which I consider good from profane books. (Not as an order from God but as a useful source of inspiration)

Again, I don't know how or what you think, but claiming such a young age for the whole world seems very illogical to me, especially if you came to this conclusion without the bible.

Again, stop trusting your feelings, use your reason.

That's a really bad start. I don't see how you can recover from it. However you have to be prepared to accept that for most people 'logic' and 'common sense' are diffferent things entirely.

I may have used wrong this expression. In Romanian it means both "common understanding" and "well aimed".

There is nothing anyway logical or illogical about the age of the earth, whether you are arguing the creationist side or the generally accepted one. Logic doesn't deal with reality.

There is a superficial logic and a more profound one. From the perspective of God's plan, we see no reason for Him to wait millions/billions of years to create the material world and animal species when He can bring anything into existence instantaneously. And even He would wished to make His creation in a long period of time, it would be the same thing because He is outside time.

So, the age of world coincides with the apparition of the first human consciences, the first human beings which from the most reasonable POV is some thousands years BC. Why? Because God has a purpose for creating the humanity and that purpose is more reasonable the one explained by a young existence of world than one in which savage people lives in caves hundreds thousands years, as scientists 'discovered'.

Yes, there are proofs that such things (the savages) existed. God created the material world in such way that some may consider that it has not a creator because else (if the world would obviously has a creator) it would harmed the human conscience of free and respected being.

Edited by Menumorut - 19-Nov-2008 at 05:43

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 07:48

This is why I hate arguing with atheists, you simply don't have a common ground with them to argue on.
What about common sense? For instance, it was suggested several times in the thread that evolutionism meets common sense for both religious and non-religious people.

I have just remembered that on another thread from this sub-forum I posted a link to a debate:

One of them is a non-Catholic Christian theist holding evolutionism to be true, the other is a Christian young earth creationist. If you have the patience read it carefully.

Shocked

Constant Mews was one of my history lecturers in university, and head of Monash Univerity's Theology Department. He is a real boffin too, tweed suit and bow tie and university style nerdy English accent. Oh wow!

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 11:02

Deluge motifs may have a true core to it, but that deluge story was so and so it is about several religiously derived beliefs. Examples:
- the chronology of the deluge related to the creation of the world, it is a moment when god wanted to wash away the sins of humanity and start afresh
- only a family chosen by god survive (though here it may be argued that it's a oral tradition of a moment in the past when the tribe's population decreased due to deluge, famine, disease etc. and they saw it as a punishment from the skies)
- they save all the species by preserving a pair of each
and similar such claims which can be refuted by scientific investigation if they are to be taken literally.
Again you're mixing up religious beliefs with factual assertions. That the flood happened, that one family only survived, that they kept with them representatives of all the world's animals are all factual assertions, that are subject to scientific investigation. That God had something to do with all this, that it happened because the world was evil, and so on are all religious assertions that are not so subject. 
 And at least for some of them arguably no experience in the past of the community is responsible directly for such motifs in the narrative.
I pointed out that, for instance, it could be simply poetic imagination. Maybe it happened, maybe something happened that got exaggerated, maybe it didn't happen at all. It's still a factual assertion.
It is a myth constructed (probably un-intentionally, though) to highlight some symbols, to emphasize a certain worldview. Some parts of it are oral memories, some other parts are derived from the religious beliefs that community held.
Well that's where we disagree. Religious beliefs are developed to account for observed events - mostly not old historical ones but just the events of ordinary contemporary life - like rain. Religion starts with animism.
I disagree. Creationism is a recent theory, it appeared thousands of years after the belief that world is created by god(s) was born. Creationism is about finding a justification to the belief that god created the world as we know it and us (in his image).
We're using 'creationism' here in different senses. By 'creationism' I simply meant the belief that God created the universe. If people didn't observe the world, how could they construct a theory that it was created by God? 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 11:08

The problem today is the "religionfication" of atheism. Atheist have turned atheism into a religion and while faith (which in essense is total belief in a certain perceived fact) is the tool of religion science is used (unwisely and in a totally ignorant manner) as the tool of atheism.
I don't think the "religionification" (Smile) of atheism is a new phenomenon. It's always been a religion, since etymologically it develops not as a-theism but as athe(os)-ism - not as 'without believing in god(s)' but as 'believing in being without god(s)'.

In general I agree with your post, though of course I don't share your religious beliefs.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 11:17

I may have used wrong this expression. In Romanian it means both "common understanding" and "well aimed".
What does? Logic? Logic is neither common 'understanding' and it isn't necessarily 'well-aimed'.

There is nothing anyway logical or illogical about the age of the earth, whether you are arguing the creationist side or the generally accepted one. Logic doesn't deal with reality.

There is a superficial logic and a more profound one.
No there isn't. Logic is simply the (study of) necessary derivations from given premises. It ensures that conclusions necessarily follow from the premises: it has nothing to do with establishing whether those premises relate to the real world or no.
From the perspective of God's plan, we see no reason for Him to wait millions/billions of years to create the material world and animal species when He can bring anything into existence instantaneously. And even He would wished to make His creation in a long period of time, it would be the same thing because He is outside time.
From the premise 'god is outside time' (and 'outside time' is well defined) it would be possible to derive certain conclusions logically. However those conclusions would only be as valid as the initial premise, which cannot be logically proven (except by reference to higher order premises, which in turn cannot be logically proven). 

So, the age of world coincides with the apparition of the first human consciences, the first human beings which from the most reasonable POV is some thousands years BC. Why? Because God has a purpose for creating the humanity and that purpose is more reasonable the one explained by a young existence of world than one in which savage people lives in caves hundreds thousands years, as scientists 'discovered'.
What has  logic to do with establishing any of that?

Edited by gcle2003 - 19-Nov-2008 at 11:19
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 11:38

Again you're mixing up religious beliefs with factual assertions. That the flood happened, that one family only survived, that they kept with them representatives of all the world's animals are all factual assertions, that are subject to scientific investigation. That God had something to do with all this, that it happened because the world was evil, and so on are all religious assertions that are not so subject. 

I pointed out that, for instance, it could be simply poetic imagination. Maybe it happened, maybe something happened that got exaggerated, maybe it didn't happen at all. It's still a factual assertion.

You, like Bey, like to argue though you don't understand what you argue against. This is exactly my point. They are factual assertions (and thus not metaphysical), but they didn't really happen, it an invention, a myth (and a good part of it conditioned of that god-belief and this is the reason I labelled them 'religious'). And because of this, it conflicts with scientific investigation.

And it was no mix up - those are religious beliefs. Do you need some scholarly quotes to prove it?

"Religious beliefs also tend to function as explanations regarding the world and events in the world, including the human experience of suffering, the existence of evil, and similar existential issues".

A flood drowning the entire sinful world, a flood from which only god's chosen escaped and started afresh fits the criterion.

Well that's where we disagree. Religious beliefs are developed to account for observed events - mostly not old historical ones but just the events of ordinary contemporary life - like rain. Religion starts with animism.
Some do, some don't. The religious beliefs that sun stood still, or that Chronos ate his children or that Hell is guarded by a multi-headed dog do not account for any observed events.

We're using 'creationism' here in different senses. By 'creationism' I simply meant the belief that God created the universe. If people didn't observe the world, how could they construct a theory that it was created by God? 
Have you read this thread's title?

Edited by Chilbudios - 19-Nov-2008 at 12:27
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 14:30

Its illogical to believe that from nothing can appear something or that something can exist from eternity without its existence having an explanation. God is the only explanation because an absolute rational and alive Being has the explanation of His existence in Himself: the nature of existence is infinitely different than what we naturally think. We think with our mind which see its sort of existence as the absolute kind of existence but actually this is a relative form of existence, bring from non-existence by a infinite superior Being Who has the real form of existence. So, the existence is far more different and grandious than we usually think.

And this kind of miraculous (for us) existence (of God) has the explanation in itself.

Now compare the materialist theory with this one. Which is more logical?

Actually, none of what you wrote above require a young world. There's no "logical" conclusion about the age of the world from what you wrote.

Yes, is logical, because nothing tell us our senses represents absolute guide marks.

That may be true - but observation doesn't necessarily depend on our human senses. Whether there's more to this world than what we can observe, by human senses or otherwise, is impossible to know. Yet, there's still nothing that demands a young world.

I'm not talking about specific theories like evolution or such, but the world in general. There's really no reason to believe that the world is young.

Still, having a belief that goes against observation doesn't seem logical to me. We may not be able to register the world as it really is, due to our limitations, but that doesn't mean that the things we can observe are necessarily wrong.

I disagree with your first idea but agree with the second one. I disagree because nothing happens fortuitous and I agree because Bible is not the literal truth (as most of Christians believe) but a helpful book and nothing more. God's plans are more complex than we think and the idea of a message of God to humanity is a human prejudice. Bible is a relative book but it serves God's purposes precisely.

Now, you claimed that you didn't base your idea of the age of the world on the Bible, but seriously, I can't imagine what else you could base it on. Where else would you get the idea that the world is only a little older than the first civilizations?

I don't contest that I took involuntary this idea from Bible, as I took ideas which I consider good from profane books. (Not as an order from God but as a useful source of inspiration)

Ok, I guess I have to apologize then, because I misunderstood what you said, sorry about that.

Again, I don't know how or what you think, but claiming such a young age for the whole world seems very illogical to me, especially if you came to this conclusion without the bible.

Again, stop trusting your feelings, use your reason.

I don't trust my feelings, it is actually the opposite, I only trust facts, and I even question what is the facts. I certainly do use reason.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 19:35

What does? Logic? Logic is neither common 'understanding' and it isn't necessarily 'well-aimed'.

OK.

From the premise 'god is outside time' (and 'outside time' is well defined) it would be possible to derive certain conclusions logically. However those conclusions would only be as valid as the initial premise, which cannot be logically proven (except by reference to higher order premises, which in turn cannot be logically proven).

I think you should see the logic as a tool, not a purpose.

Actually, none of what you wrote above require a young world. There's no "logical" conclusion about the age of the world from what you wrote.

Take the other variant, of a billion years old earth. It seems more credible?

Still, having a belief that goes against observation doesn't seem logical to me. We may not be able to register the world as it really is, due to our limitations, but that doesn't mean that the things we can observe are necessarily wrong.

The only thing you surely know exists is you. Taking your sensorial perceptions as experiences of reality is a mistake. What you know about these senses? Why you trust them?

I don't trust my feelings, it is actually the opposite, I only trust facts, and I even question what is the facts. I certainly do use reason.

You said Again, I don't know how or what you think, but claiming such a young age for the whole world seems very illogical to me, especially if you came to this conclusion without the bible.

If you would really have reasoned, you would have speak about those conclusions. If you say just it seems illogical to you, I tend to believe you relate your superficial impressions.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 20:00

You, like Bey, like to argue though you don't understand what you argue against.
Personally that seems to be attributable to you.
This is exactly my point. They are factual assertions (and thus not metaphysical), but they didn't really happen, it an invention, a myth (and a good part of it conditioned of that god-belief and this is the reason I labelled them 'religious'). And because of this, it conflicts with scientific investigation.
Whether the factual assertion is true or not is immaterial. The point is that because it is a factual assertion it can be investigated scientifically (in principle anyway). That I make or believe the factual assertion because of my religious beliefs is also immaterial to the point.

Assume I believe my guru can walk on water. The proposition 'my guru walks on water every moring' is in principle testable and is a factual assertion. However the proposition 'My guru has special supernatural powers that enable him to walk on water', while it has the guise of a factual assertion, in fact is not, because it is inherently not falsifiable. And it is therefore a religious statement.

And it was no mix up - those are religious beliefs. Do you need some scholarly quotes to prove it?

I don't see anything there that supports your view at all. Unfortunately I can't copy from it, but it quite plainly states that there are three positions that can be taken about religious beliefs (truth-claims). One is that they are all false because they attempt to provide explanations in ways contrary to scientific method. One is that they are neither true nor false: truth and falsehood are inapplicable because their meaning does not depend on truth conditions, but depend on emoptional states or moral considerations. The third is that the truth of religious statements is beyond verification since they refer to events that are inherently not investigatable, such as "the beginning of all things, the meaning of life, and life after death'.

The assertion that there was deluge doesn't fit any of those categories. It is not an attempt to provide an explanation. It is either true or false, and does not refer to morality or emotional state. And it does not refer to something that is inherenty uninvestigatable.

So it isn't a religious statement.

And - from the text you yourself quote - religious statements are not investigatable by science and therefore cannot be refuted (or proven) by science.
"Religious beliefs also tend to function as explanations regarding the world and events in the world, including the human experience of suffering, the existence of evil, and similar existential issues".

A flood drowning the entire sinful world, a flood from which only god's chosen escaped and started afresh fits the criterion.
No it doesn't. It doesn't explain anything. The statement 'God caused the flood' explains the flood, but the statement 'there was a universal flood and only Noah's family escaped' doesn't explain anything.

Some do, some don't. The religious beliefs that sun stood still, or that Chronos ate his children or that Hell is guarded by a multi-headed dog do not account for any observed events.

Have you read this thread's title?
Yes. Creationists have been around a long time. The fact that they have only explained fossil fuels since fossil fuels were discovered doesn't mean creationists sprang into existence just for that purpose.

Incidentally creationists have been explaining fossil fuels for a lot longer than scientists have.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 20:04

OK.

I think you should see the logic as a tool, not a purpose.
I do see logic as a tool. Tools have a purpose: that's what makes them tools. If I use a rock with the purpose of killing an animal with it, it's a tool. If the rock is just lying around it's not a tool.

Logic is the tool one uses to verify that one's conclusions are required by (or possibly just compatible with) one's premises. It isn't a tool one uses to verify or falsify those premises.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 20:11
Now I understand. Thanks

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 20:24

Personally that seems to be attributable to you.
Since you attacked my views, not I yours, your opinion is unfounded. Or perhaps once more you proved you didn't actually understand what I wrote there.

Whether the factual assertion is true or not is immaterial. The point is that because it is a factual assertion it can be investigated scientifically (in principle anyway). That I make or believe the factual assertion because of my religious beliefs is also immaterial to the point.

Assume I believe my guru can walk on water. The proposition 'my guru walks on water every moring' is in principle testable and is a factual assertion. However the proposition 'My guru has special supernatural powers that enable him to walk on water', while it has the guise of a factual assertion, in fact is not, because it is inherently not falsifiable. And it is therefore a religious statement.
Nothing I disagree with. If you intended to give it as a correction to what I said, it proves my earlier point that you attack views you don't understand.
It also contradicts your position that the myth of Deluge is not a religious belief, because the Deluge happened following god's (a supernatural power) will and plan. 

I don't see anything there that supports your view at all. Unfortunately I can't copy from it, but it quite plainly states that there are three positions that can be taken about religious beliefs (truth-claims). One is that they are all false because they attempt to provide explanations in ways contrary to scientific method. One is that they are neither true nor false: truth and falsehood are inapplicable because their meaning does not depend on truth conditions, but depend on emoptional states or moral considerations. The third is that the truth of religious statements is beyond verification since they refer to events that are inherently not investigatable, such as "the beginning of all things, the meaning of life, and life after death'.

Though this is a straw man (we were discussing about what religious beliefs are, not what positions non-religious people take on them), it touches our point so I'll answer. I believe the religious beliefs fall under all three categories, but in particular I've dealt here with the first (refutable by science) and third (irrefutable because they are non-empricial, are metaphysical).
What you emphasized is exactly my point in this debate with you. Again, another evidence you argue against what you don't understand.

The assertion that there was deluge doesn't fit any of those categories. It is not an attempt to provide an explanation. It is either true or false, and does not refer to morality or emotional state. And it does not refer to something that is inherenty uninvestigatable.

So it isn't a religious statement.
Yes, the Deluge is an attempt to provide explanations, refers to morality and has also uninvestigable details (like god's role in it). If you don't understand why, I won't be bothered to explain.

No it doesn't. It doesn't explain anything. The statement 'God caused the flood' explains the flood, but the statement 'there was a universal flood and only Noah's family escaped' doesn't explain anything.
It explains to me (if I'd believe it, but I have no problem imagining that I would and then it indeed does), and it explains to many other people (I know some personally, I've read theological and philosophical books, so I guess I can afford the generalization "many"), maybe it doesn't to you. But that won't change its explanatory power.
That statment is a caricature of what actually the Deluge myth is. Its main flaw is that is completely devoid of god.

Yes. Creationists have been around a long time. The fact that they have only explained fossil fuels since fossil fuels were discovered doesn't mean creationists sprang into existence just for that purpose.

Incidentally creationists have been explaining fossil fuels for a lot longer than scientists have
Again you argue against things you don't understand. But I take blame for that, instead of explanation I chose a subtlety. But since from experience trying to explain brings even more denial from your side, I will just drop this point. I will just clarify the other issuess, if anything will be worth clarifying.

Edited by Chilbudios - 19-Nov-2008 at 20:41
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 20:25

Take the other variant, of a billion years old earth. It seems more credible? 

Yes, I have no reason to think otherwise. The notion that everything is an illusion and thus nothing can be concluded does not make a young earth any more logical than any other position. If you really believe that nothing can be trusted, that our senses tell us nothing of the world, then you can conclude nothing about the age of the earth - or anything else, for that matter.

If you would really have reasoned, you would have speak about those conclusions. If you say just it seems illogical to you, I tend to believe you relate your superficial impressions.

In this case - yes, that was an impression, surely. That is because it was my impression of you, and therefore not something I could truly know. Hence I said "if". Nothing to do with the subject of the age of the world. You have actually not provided any good reason what so ever that the world should be only a few thousand years old. You only claim that it is "illogical" to think that it is old, and that "common sense" dictates that it is young.

I don't really think we can get any further with this, unless you provide some kind of reasoning.

Edited by Jams - 19-Nov-2008 at 20:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>