Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this linguistic map correct?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this linguistic map correct?
    Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 17:41
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 18:22
Depends what do you mean by "correct". Yes, it is a fair representation of IE languages.

But otherwise there are few things one would question or argue against:
- one perennial dilemma - what is the difference between dialect and language? One could also wonder why so many Germanic varieties are pictured but no Greek ones.
- this graphic representation seems to list the languages somehow geographically, though not in a very consistent way. However, their relation with their common origin is debateable. Also, I'm not sure what that 5,000 BC is supposed to mean.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 18:56

I've registered before my objection to classification systems that are purely hierarchical, and therefore ignore cross-linkages that occur between languages shown on different branches of the tree.

Usually it's because overemphasis is placed on one characteristic, as for instance vocabulary. But even in vocabulary English is closer to French than it is to German.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 23:27
Originally posted by Chilbudios

- one perennial dilemma - what is the difference between dialect and language?

That is my complaint as well.  Notice how Belarus, an independent country, speaks "Belarussian".  Meanwhile, Italy, a unified country speaks "Italian". 

I bet the Sardinian and Sicillian variants of Italians are far more distinct from the Italian spoken in FLorence than the "Belarussian" spoken in Minsk is from the Russian spoken in Moscow.     
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2008 at 17:00
I have moved this topic to the Linguistic sub-forum. Unfortunately we have lost some interesting posts regarding the W. Germanic Branch of this map. Hopefully, those who posted the lost posts will come back and re-post them as best they can.
 Post Reply Post Reply