Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Veneti

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Veneti
    Posted: 02-Nov-2008 at 15:51

There is a wonderful dearth of information about Gallic tribes as they were before they fell under Roman hegemony. Most of the time the only tribes whose cultures receive any sort of elaboration are the Averni and Aedui.

There is another tribe, however, that fascinates me extremely. They are the Veneti, who lived in modern-day Brittanny and had a powerful navy that was unchallenged in the area. Essentially all I know about the Veneti comes from Caesar's account of their subjugation; understandably biased. Even still, Caesar's perspective of events credits the Veneti with almost defeating the Romans. Most resources I consult tell me different things about the Veneti, and it's hard to find any sort of agreement between these sources half the time(especially concerning their capital). I plan on writing a novel about the Roman conquest of the Veneti, but I am going to need a lot of information on Gallic culture in general, and specifically this seafaring tribe.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2008 at 16:02
I've been most interested in the Veneti - and, in particular, their ships - for a very long time. In all that time, I've never come across much. AFAIK, nobody really knows how their ships looked, or what they were capable of.

Most of the time, you just get statements along the lines of "Well, I doubt their ships could really have been all that, as Caesar describes." I'm not so sure ... but without any evidence, it's really hard to say.

Edited by edgewaters - 02-Nov-2008 at 16:05
 Post Reply Post Reply