Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Powers in History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Powers in History
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 18:23

My intention is to break up the great powers of history into two distinuishing categories: First and Second Class. I will largely be taking into account culture, military, government and economic considerations. Lastly, the world powers (those who expanded their power outside their domain), will likely be placed in First Class. Although, some left such an indeliable impact on their region that they deserve the status of First Class.

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 18:27

FIRST CLASS

Ancient Greece (Mainly Athens and Sparta)

Ancient Egypt

Mesopotamia

Persia

Roman Empire

Alexander's Macedonia

Han Empire (China)

Islam (C. 650)

The Catholic Church (C. 800)

Mongol Empire

Spain (15th and 16th centuries)

France (1648-1940)

Britain (1640s-1945)

Renaissance Italy (C.1350-1700)

United States of America (1945-?)

Soviet Union (1945-1991)

Edited by Winterhaze13

-- Voltaire
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 18:31

SECOND CLASS

Hittite Empire

Phoenicia

Assyria

Carthage

Carolingian Empire

Byzantine Empire

Hapsburg Empire (Austria)

Ottoman Empire (1453-1800)

Tartars under Tamerlane (1381-1405)

Portugal (15th and 16th Centuries)

Russia (1815-1917)

Prussia (1740-1871)

Germany (1871-1945)

-- Voltaire
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 18:33

Waiting in the Wings:

China?

India?

European Union?

-- Voltaire
Tlaloc View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tlaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 19:09
Heh..it would be folly to waste all this time on making such a list. I doubt anybody truly has the qualifications to take into account every military, cultural, literary, scientifical, social, and economical factor from the empires of history and arrange them from some pre-defined 'greatest' to 'lowest'.

As an example..you list the Han as first class. What abou the cultural splendour of the T'ang? Or the political and educatonal splendour of the Song? Or the economic splendour of the Ming?

Each empire contributes something. Be content with that.
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 19:53
i'd have to agree
have fun finding out all the powers that have existed throughtout history.
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 22:22

I am not sure about your definition of "great power" . As my understanding, it means at least a centralized regime such as Roman empire, Han empire, ancient Egypt and Alexandra's Macedonia, etc. But why there are something like Islam, Mesopotamia, or even ancient GreeceYou know, they are in fact conbination of lots of independent states and nations. If they counts, why not Christian ,Comintern or even the UN are included?

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 00:15
Darn oodog you beat me to it.  But yes, Winterhaze13 when one thinks of a "great power", one is not thinking about a region such as "Greece", "Mesopotamia", or "Phoenicia" among others, or such institutions such as "the Catholic Church" or "Islam".   The Catholic Church may have had an influence on existing "Christian" empires, but it was certainly dependent on them including the Carolingian Empire.  As for Islam, it would probably be more appropriate to put in its place "the Caliphate". Instead of Greece, you can just be more specific such as mentioning Sparta and Athens.  I was kind of wondering what you meant by "Mesopotamia", since you did mention in the "second category",  Assyria which among powers of Mesopotamian origin, ruled it quite effectively.  I'm wondering why you even put Assyria and Hittite Empire in the "second category".  The Assyrians were clearly second to none in their heyday, and the Babylonians and Persians which followed them owed their provincial organization from the Assyrians.  The Hittites were on par with the Egyptians, militarily, and had the most humane and modern-looking sets of laws among ancient civilizations.  Ironically, the Hittites had their own "list" of great powers equal to itself which included the Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians, and Achaeans.  There are other things that could be mentioned, including the dating, but this suffices for now.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 03:48
I cant agree on Prussia and France. How can you define all of France, Roman Empire and Islamic Empire in one category? France had nothing to affect history that much except their colonies and their cultural expansion over these colonies. The main colonial power was England, Britain...
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 04:29
My immediate urge was to flip the Mongol and Ottoman empires.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 08:03

The Seljuk Empire was one of the  greatests in 1000-1200.Iran,Khorasan,some of Northern India,Kazakhstan were under their control.

Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 08:12
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

The Seljuk Empire was one of the  greatests in 1000-1200.Iran,Khorasan,some of Northern India,Kazakhstan were under their control.

I agree

Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 14:37
Why the heck is Prussia a second class power?!  That's one of the greatest empires the world has ever seen!  It's acts had powerful consequences in both Europe and the world.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 14:50
Well, maybe the second class is better, like more people in it or so. And the Catholic... Why at 800, in 800, if i am correct there was just Christianity, or Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic, then of Islam, if oyu could put it into Caliphate, then it would be obivious to put Catholic over to Spain... Then, the power and beaty of Italy ended with the Wars of Italy in 1500's.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:00

Originally posted by white dragon

i'd have to agree
have fun finding out all the powers that have existed throughtout history.

Well, I consulted a Military Encyclopedia. And I knew this would be ambitious and I think I did a good job on it. And I welcome any challenges to that claim.

-- Voltaire
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:03

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

I cant agree on Prussia and France. How can you define all of France, Roman Empire and Islamic Empire in one category? France had nothing to affect history that much except their colonies and their cultural expansion over these colonies. The main colonial power was England, Britain...

France did nothing to affect history. Are you insane!! Read up on something that began in 1789 in France which later spread to the entire continent and gave us many of the great principles as Liberty and equality which shape our society today. It influenced every event after the fact, including the Russian Revolution and every revolution since then.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution

Edited by Winterhaze13

-- Voltaire
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:03

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

Why the heck is Prussia a second class power?!  That's one of the greatest empires the world has ever seen!  It's acts had powerful consequences in both Europe and the world.

Explain?

-- Voltaire
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:04

Originally posted by rider

Well, maybe the second class is better, like more people in it or so. And the Catholic... Why at 800, in 800, if i am correct there was just Christianity, or Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic, then of Islam, if oyu could put it into Caliphate, then it would be obivious to put Catholic over to Spain... Then, the power and beaty of Italy ended with the Wars of Italy in 1500's.

The power of the Church over state affairs began with Charlemagne early in the 9th century.

-- Voltaire
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:15
How about this list?

Ancient (-300 BC)

First Tier Powers
Akkadia
Assyria
Hittites
Egypt
Zhou
Achaemenids

Second Tier
Babylon
Mittanii
Jin and Qin
Media

Classical (300 BC - 500 AD)
First Tier
Macedon
Qin
Han
Rome
Xiong Nu
Sassanid
Mauryan

Second Tier
Carthage
Seleucid
Parthia
Palmrya
Bactria

Medieval (500-1450)
First Tier
Caliphate
Tang
Mongol Empire
Tamerlane's

Second Tier
Byzantium
Carolingian
Jin
Golden Horde
Il-Khanate
Mameluks
Yuan
Ming
Kok Turuk
Seljuk
Fatimid
Song
Ottomans
HRE

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:26
Looks very good, you certainly cover more than I do. But, are all of these great powers?

-- Voltaire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>