Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Duke of Buckingham, George Villiers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duke of Buckingham, George Villiers
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 14:40
Of Villiers, could he have avoided his fate of knifing him. And were his politics right?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 16:00

Buckingham was more of a courtier than he was a statesman.  He was a favorite of James VI & I, but was restrained in his political ambitions by James's desire to avoid getting England/Scotland involved in war.  Villiers's best asset was his good looks.

With James's death in 1625, England embarked on an aggressive foreign policy under Charles I, and directed by Buckingham.  This resulted in bungled attempts at military adventures against Spain (at Cadiz) in 1625 and against the Royal French government (at Isle of Re off La Rochelle) in 1627.  Buckingham was neither soldier nor diplomat; neither competent nor well liked.

His assassination at the hand of a former army officer and disgruntled office seeker speaks well to the esteem in which he was held by many.  Charles in his early years was dependent on Villiers, and familiar with him, but would perhaps have been better served by another minister.  

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 18:21

Nice assessment.

Only one thing to add, his sole admirable act. He seduced and shagged the queen of France while negotiatng Charles I marriage to Henrietta Maria.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 21:37
In re: the french queen......you have been reading "The Three Musketeers."  :-)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 19:48
According to Norton James I was gay, taking a wife only because he was under pressure to produce an heir. Buckingham exploited the king's lust by becoming his lover in return for privileges at court. This caused a lot of resentment among the other courtiers.
Norton: Queen James and his courtiers

Edited by Nick1986 - 05-May-2011 at 19:41
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 20:17
Well that pretty well sums er up eh Nick.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 19:15
Buckingham wasn't the first. James had been chasing boys since the 1580s
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 12:06
For some obscure reason I just now..... keep hearing the music...in my mind...
Tchaikowsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from the  Nutcracker. The King and the Duke leaping about in frilly nothingness.

This is what happens when your on reverse cycle bringing in newborn calves all night long.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 21:18
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 16:53
May I ask why "shagged" is mostly allowed at this site whilst "f**ked" is not lovingly allowed?

Just what is the difference? If any?

Shall we also use "plugged", "dicked", "reamed",screwed, etc.?

If it is good for the goose, it is good for the gander!

Just why is British Slang allowed whilst Amercian slang is prohibited?

Oh! If you in command have to look, look no further than the above post by Paul, thus;

"Nice assessment.

Only one thing to add, his sole admirable act. He seduced and shagged the queen of France while negotiatng Charles I marriage to Henrietta Maria.

Edited by Paul"

Edited by opuslola - 04-Jun-2011 at 17:44
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 20:16
Mr Hughes, be decent or i'll wash out that potty mouth with soap and water. It would be pointless for the moderators to punish this Paul as he has been inactive for almost 2 years
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 21:35
Originally posted by opuslola

May I ask why "shagged" is mostly allowed at this site whilst "f**ked" is not lovingly allowed?

Just what is the difference? If any?

Shall we also use "plugged", "dicked", "reamed",screwed, etc.?

If it is good for the goose, it is good for the gander!

Just why is British Slang allowed whilst Amercian slang is prohibited?

Oh! If you in command have to look, look no further than the above post by Paul, thus;

"Nice assessment.

Edited by Paul"

Matter of certain level of decorum Ron. Granted the terms are near synonymous in application ntl it's direct usage might be offensive to many because of a variety reasons as it's being more vulgar or discerned as such then other versions. Consequently.. My advice? To avoid offence and help keep the peace which is your responsibility as well as anybody else's .....don't stoop to that level.

And Nick is correct if I were in the business of warning and advising posts from two years ago by inactive users....it would waste my time and possibly disrupt a later attempt to continue discussion....

In the end it's gentility vs. vulgarity and neither context not even witticism are necessarily improved by crude language.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 04-Jun-2011 at 21:37

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply