Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Info on Dacians / Getai / Getae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arnspac View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arnspac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Info on Dacians / Getai / Getae
    Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 02:40
I'm looking for some credible info on the Dacians. Lifestyle , religion, warriors etc.  Most ( on the web ) seems to repeat the same old facts in different ways. Any ideas or links ? Smile
Thanks in advance.
Whatever it is, I fear Greeks....even when they bring gifts
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 05:37
You may find some information (especially images of Dacian towns and weapons) here:

http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22043&PN=1

Also, see this links:

Deva Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization

Statul Dac ( 10 articole ), Istoria getilor timpurii ( 9 articole ) This website is in Romanian, contains the passages from ancient authors describing the Dacians. You may note these authors and find the English versions.

Unfortunately, there are not good sources on the web about this subject.

Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 07:28
Barbarians by Terry Jones have a good section on the Dacians. The author's being a bit (okay, very) dramatic at times but aside from that it has some good info, eg on religion and society.

This link --> http://www.mircea-eliade.com/from-primitives-to-zen/036.html has some info on Zalmoxis, the Dacian religious leader in the 4th century BC, and some links on Dacia as well.
arnspac View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote arnspac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 13:06
Originally posted by Menumorut

You may find some information (especially images of Dacian towns and weapons) here:

http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22043&PN=1

Also, see this links:

Deva Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization

Statul Dac ( 10 articole ), Istoria getilor timpurii ( 9 articole ) This website is in Romanian, contains the passages from ancient authors describing the Dacians. You may note these authors and find the English versions.

Unfortunately, there are not good sources on the web about this subject.

Thank you for your quick response.  I agree there is sources but little substance, which is unfortunate.

Thanks again.
arnspac View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote arnspac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 13:12
@ Voskhod ..I will check that out, thank you. I did find this site but having trouble navigating;

Thanks again.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 13:20

Some books:

Christo M. Danov, "Die Thraker auf dem Ostbalkan von der hellenistischen Zeit bis zur Gründung  Konstantinopels" in ANRW vol. II.7.1, p. 22-185
Richard D. Sullivan, "Thrace in the Eastern Dynastic Network" in the same volume, p. 186-211
G. Mihailov, "Thrace before the Persian entry into Europe" in Cambridge Ancient History, vol. III.2, p. 591-618
Zofia H. Archibald, "Thracians and Scythians" in CAH VI, p. 444-475
Mirriam Griffin, "Nerva to Hadrian" in CAH XI, p. 84-131 (p. 109-113 hold a brief description of the Dacian Wars)
András Mócsy, Pannonia and Upper Moesia (see the first four chapters - p. 1-111 - about Thracians, Illyrians and Celts in these region and their contact with Rome)
Christopher L. Webber, The Thracians, 700 BC - AD 46
Helen Lund, Lysimachus (see chapter 2 "Thrace and Pontus", p. 19-50)
Ioana A. Oltean, Dacia - landscape, colonization and romanization (chapters 2-4 - p. 26-118 - deal with pre-Roman Dacia)

Some articles:

Edward T. Salmon, "Trajan's conquest of Dacia" in TAPA, 67/1936, p. 83-105
S. Casson, "Thracian Tribes in Scythia Minor" in Journal of Roman Studies, 17/1927, p. 97-101
A. Alföldi, "Dacians on the Southern Bank of the Danube" in JRS, 29.1/1939, p. 28-31
Peter Delev, "Lysimachus, Getae and Archaeology" in The Classical Quarterly, new series, 50.2/2000, p. 384-401

All these are on my HDD, the articles via JStor, the books via Google Books or perhaps other channels I don't remember right now. The bibliography is, of course, larger than that, but this should be enough for a summary on Dacians and Getae.

Edited by Chilbudios - 21-Oct-2008 at 13:23
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 13:31
@ Voskhod ..I will check that out, thank you. I did find this site but having trouble navigating;

Thanks again.

Click on the links in the right column to reach the summary of each volume. Many articles are in Romanian but some are in English, French or German (though I guess most if not all should have an abstract in one of these languages).

arnspac View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote arnspac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 18:10
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Click on the links in the right column to reach the summary of each volume. Many articles are in Romanian but some are in English, French or German (though I guess most if not all should have an abstract in one of these languages).

Thanks so much. This should keep me busy for a while. Smile
Hopefully I can return the favours to you all.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 18:40
Hopefully I can return the favours to you all.
Maybe you will by reading them and coming with interesting topics for discussion Wink
ritallos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ritallos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 09:03
There are a lot of good books out there, but unfortunately (for you), they are in either Romanian, or Bulgarian. But, maybe you could find some translated versions... To list just a few:

Nicolae Densusianu, Dacia preistorica (Prehistoric Dacia)
Vasile Parvan, Getica - this one is THE Mammoth Book on Dacians
Dan Dana, Zalmoxis de la Herodot la Mircea Eliade (Zalmoxis from Herodotus to Mircea Eliade)

Ion Horatiu Crisan, Civilizatia Geto-Dacilor (The Geto-Dacian Civilization)
Alexandru Papadopol Calimah, Scrieri vechi pierdute atingatoare de Dacia (Ancient Lost Writings On Dacians)
Ioan Marius-Grec, Zamolxis. Realitate si mit in religia geto-dacilor (Zamolxis. Reality and Myth in Geto-Dacian Religion)
I.I. Russu, Religia geto-dacilor. Zei, credinte, practici religioase (Geto-Dacian Religion. Gods, faiths and religious practices)
Felix Crainicu, Cristi Ionita, Legendele dacilor liberi (Legends of the Free Dacians)
Dumitru Manolache, Andrei, apostolul lupilor (Andrew, the Apostle of the Wolves)

In terms of websites, I could recommend The Dacian Encyclopedia. It is mostly written in Romanian, but it also features an English section. There are some spelling mistakes and whatnot, but it is very rich in information and references.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply