Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Working Class Jobs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working Class Jobs
    Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 16:45
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/obama_promises_to_stop_americas

Caution: Swearing.

We must keep these jobs in America!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 11:51
What the f are you advertising?

And no, I didn't bother to watch the video either.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 11:54
Isn't it worksafe or something? I'm at work.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 12:52
LOL

Dolphin: read up on The Onion.

Originally posted by Reginmund

Isn't it worksafe or something? I'm at work.

Well, there's no nudity, but it's a video and I doubt your boss would like you to watch that during working hours. My efforts aren't appreciated by their Swedish teachers though.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 20-Oct-2008 at 12:54
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 15:28
Work ethics are for the gullible.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 17:05
I know this is parody and all but still some people actually do have this attitude.

I mean seriously it's such a liberal attitude that American's can and will always get to the top. Yes it's unfortunate that you don't get to become a star athlete or a corporate CEO or president of the United States but there are only so many of those jobs that can go around. So while we glorify these positions, we completely ignore or even worse look down on hard-working people who have committed themselves to work in more mundane jobs. All jobs need to be done, or else every one suffers. Even if you make millions a year you still need cars that you drive to be built, you still need tomatoes that go in your food picked and you still need coal that powers your house to be mined. Every single one of those people is more important in the grand scheme of things than every single CEO, politician or athlete, and it sickens me that more people don't realize this.

Bravo to the onion though for bringing an important issue up in a humorous manner.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 17:22
Every single one of those people is more important in the grand scheme of things than every single CEO, politician or athlete, and it sickens me that more people don't realize this.

Name me one person/group who actually thinks like this. You shouldn't assume so much from peoples attitudes.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 17:26
We live to compete and we measure our worth by how much we can elevate ourselves above the rest. In the end only those who finish last wish for equality.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 17:57
Name me one person/group who actually thinks like this. You shouldn't assume so much from peoples attitudes.

Easy take away for instance all the coal miners who supply power to the power plant. Then see if the CEO, politician and athlete all function without power. That's the type of scenario I was getting at you can't get to the top without standing on the people with shit jobs. And the higher up you are the harder you fall if the people you're standing on disappear.

And technically I could argue that most Christian churches have this view of thinking. Something about the meek shall inherit the earth or something like that.

We live to compete and we measure our worth by how much we can elevate ourselves above the rest. In the end only those who finish last wish for equality.

Social darwinism is so droll.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 22:00
I was thinking more in terms of how we relate to this psychologically, in order to explain the somewhat illogical but oh so common attitudes you described.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 03:49
I was thinking more in terms of how we relate to this psychologically, in order to explain the somewhat illogical but oh so common attitudes you described.

I didn't realize that altruism is an illogical attitude.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 07:50
Originally posted by JanusRook

I didn't realize that altruism is an illogical attitude.

I have become convinced it is.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 14:00
Altruism is an illogical attitude. So is selfishness, so is greed.

You can construct a logical chain in which any of them is a logical conclusion, but it depends on the premises you choose. And the choice of premises is inherently not logical.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 18:35
Quite. That's settled then.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 03:21
Agreed gcle is wise indeed.

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 11:04
One thing I don't like about that video is it showing the meat industry as a "shitty" job Cry
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 11:24
Well maybe it MEATS the requirements, Balaam. Big%20smile
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 11:59
Originally posted by Reginmund

Well maybe it MEATS the requirements, Balaam. Big%20smile

Maybe it does lol. You know the scene in it where it shows the pile of pigs, well is that a common sight in US abattoirs? Like I'm not even supposed to let the pigs touch at all when putting them away in the chillers let alone in a big pile like that. Such an unclean thing to do =/
 Post Reply Post Reply