Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intellectual Americans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intellectual Americans
    Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 15:45
No I had been lead to believe by television and movies there is a national divide in the US North vs South. The north is filled with educated, well mannered, sophistacated people and the south fill by ileducated, cud chewing hicks.

A quick look at the AE map however shows a very different tale. There seems to be no north south divide, instead and east/west one. People from the east, both northerner and southerner seem somewhat intellectually superior to their northern and southern, western cousins.

The media has been to me all these years. Next time I think of the US I will appreciate those intellectual people from Alabamha and look down on those knuckle scrapers from Seattle.

Edited by Paul - 17-Oct-2008 at 15:48
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 16:34
And as you can see, Europe is teeming with little blue dots :-)
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 19:23
Since I take offense to the thread title I'll change it from "dumb americans" to something else. That being said this bit of news is interesting. The Americans with current events smarts are readers of:  The New Yorker, The Atlantic and Harper's Magazine.

Out with demographic stereotypes and in with high brow magazines!
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 20:24
Originally posted by Seko

Since I take offense to the thread title I'll change it from "dumb americans" to something else. That being said this bit of news is interesting. The Americans with current events smarts are readers of:  The New Yorker, The Atlantic and Harper's Magazine.

Out with demographic stereotypes and in with high brow magazines!

Hey, they didn't survey the audience of 'Savage Nation'.  What are they afraid of, huh?Wink
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 20:33
Paul,

Western U.S. is sparely. That is what accounts for the lack of stars there. Once you get to the West Coast, which is densely populated, you see those stars showing up again.
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 20:49

Actulley there are many intelectual southeners.Men like Mark Twain who wrote books like  Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn came from the south.Great Genrals like Robert E. Lee and ''Stone Wall'' Jackson were also from the south.Really these two men fought for the South or Confederecy during the Civil War.

Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 21:26
So did my wife.

I rest my case.

Edit: I meant she came from the South, not that she fought in the Civil War.

Edited by gcle2003 - 17-Oct-2008 at 21:27
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by hugoestr

Paul,

Western U.S. is sparely. That is what accounts for the lack of stars there. Once you get to the West Coast, which is densely populated, you see those stars showing up again.

Yes exactly. Aside from Washington and California the West has barely any people compared to its size especially.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 23:10
Originally posted by Parnell

And as you can see, Europe is teeming with little blue dots :-)

Not too surprisingly, Ireland only has 3-4.  Pubs must have been closed. 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 01:56
Some things are just best left unsaid!
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 02:46
The American Media which mainly has it's organizations centered in the Northeast takes a very unfair view of Southerners and as mentioned before in this thread potrays them as uneducated and misguided culturally.

However it is certainly not the case in the Southeast especially in my home state of Virginia, which has one of the biggest intellectual communities in the nation concentrated in the Northern area of the state around Charlottesville and Williamsburg.

Btw look at the map we have just as many if not more blue stars throughout the South as the North does.    
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 03:26
No I had been lead to believe by television and movies there is a national divide in the US North vs South. The north is filled with educated, well mannered, sophistacated people and the south fill by ileducated, cud chewing hicks.

Since when has anyone been able to Lead you to believe anything?  And how old were these movies?

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 04:54
You watch two much Beverley Hillbilles.
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 14:36
Originally posted by red clay

And how old were these movies?

check your sig
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 15:19
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by red clay

And how old were these movies?

check your sig

So you based your perception of the entire population of the Southern US on a fictional character who, is supposedly autistic. 
Has anyone ever told you that you spend too much time alone?Big%20smile

Unknown.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 21:05
Anyone notice how there is always a blank spot in south-southwest France? What's up with that?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2008 at 10:58
Its where they all play rugby.

Probably enough said.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2008 at 12:01
Wow...Asia is so dumb!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2008 at 12:21
Originally posted by babyblue

Wow...Asia is so dumb!

Different sphere, I suspect. They have their own history forums.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2008 at 12:34
Good American Universities are placed pretty much everywhere, although the majority of them are in East and West coasts. This, I think, contradicts to your suggestion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>