Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Belisarius excepts Gothic offer to become emperor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belisarius excepts Gothic offer to become emperor
    Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 23:37
Suppose general Belisarius excepted the goths offer to become western roman emperor? what do you think would happen? how would history be affected? what would be the consequences?Smile post your thoughts and be realisticSmile

Comites Flavius Belsarius

Edited by Count Belisarius - 14-Oct-2008 at 03:19

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 03:03
I do not think it would have changed anything in the West that drastically. The Eastern Emperor received the Imperial regalia decades before Belisarius came on the scene, and saw himself the real and only Roman Emperor when it comes to political theory. In realpolitik Belisarius was loyal, but aside from that a smart statesman and general who understood that the West was bankrupt and there was not much that could have been done having a split throne. The economy was in shambles following a series of devastating campaigns in Italy. Belisarius would have taken way too much of a defecit to maintain and the Goths would of course want to play a political role in this new iteration of the Western Imperial post, too. Also, while Justinian strained resources to support all these grand projects of his own architectural and military wise, the Empire was still standing on strong legs with Justinian at the helm and Belisarius would have feared a very strong reprisal from him.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 03:18

Perhaps keep in mind all the loot Belisarius would get from his gothic subjects and with the west and all the other territory the goths had Justinains dream is realized and with Belisarius loyal to him he still has a lot of power over the west and the goths would probably realize that the roman troops that were loyal to Belisarius had easily beaten them several times and of course Justinian wouldn't be eager to face veteran romans and ferocious goths under the command of Belisarius. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 03:35
Loot won't fix a dwindling population and destroyed agricultural infrastructure.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 05:32
Yes but you can use it as money

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 11:30
I thought from the thread title that you were considering leaving us for richer pastures. I'm relieved.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 17:06
Really you'd miss me? wow I'm touched but even if I left where would I find a pasture greener than this one?

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2010 at 14:42
The story of Belisarius is a convoluted one! His victories would make him amongst the greatest generals of all times, but his end is set in controversy. Supposedly he was the last of Rome's great military leaders to receive certain awards or titles. See the Wikipeida article concerning him for more information!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

Where you can read this strange story;

"In the late summer of 533, Belisarius sailed to Africa and landed near the city of Leptis Magna. He ordered his fleet to never lose sight of the army, then marched along the coastal highway toward the Vandal capital of Carthage. He did this to prevent supplies from being cut off, and to avoid a great defeat such as occurred in the first attempt to retake northern Africa 35 years before.

Ten miles from Carthage, the forces of Gelimer (who had just executed Hilderic) and Belisarius finally met at the Battle of Ad Decimum on September 13, 533. It nearly turned into a defeat for the Byzantines. Gelimer had chosen his position well and had some success along the main road. The Byzantines, however, seemed dominant on both sides of the main road to Carthage. At the height of the battle, Gelimer became distraught upon learning of the death of his brother in battle. This gave Belisarius a chance to regroup, and he went on to win the battle and capture Carthage. A second victory at the Battle of Tricamarum in December 15 of the same year resulted in Gelimer's surrender early in 534 at Mount Papua, restoring the lost Roman provinces of north Africa to the empire. For this achievement, Belisarius was granted a Roman triumph (the last ever given) when he returned to Constantinople. According to Procopius, if he is to be believed, in the procession were paraded the spoils of the Temple of Jerusalem, which had been recovered from the Vandal capital along with Gelimer himself before he was sent into peaceful exile. Medals were stamped in his honor with the inscription Gloria Romanorum, though none seem to have come down to modern times. Belisarius was also made sole consul in 534, being one of the last individuals ever to hold this office, which was by this time merely a ceremonial relic of the ancient Roman Republic."

From the above we see the mention of a story told by Procopius, which told that the "spoils of the Temple of Jerusalem" were paraded along with Belisarius through the streets of Constantinople! It seems that some historians believed that these treasures had been seized by the Vandals during one of their attacks upon the City of Rome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Rome_(455)

Here is a list of the reported "Sacks of Rome", according to Wiki;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Rome_(846)

"Sack of Rome (387 BC) - Rome is sacked by the Gauls after the Battle of the Allia
Sack of Rome (410) - Rome is sacked by Alaric, King of the Visigoths
Sack of Rome (455) - Rome is sacked by Geiseric, King of the Vandals
Sack of Rome (546) - Rome is sacked and depopulated by Totila, King of the Ostrogoths, during the war between the Ostrogoths and the Byzantines
Sack of Rome (846) - The Arabs attack Rome and loot old St. Peter's Basilica, though the Roman City walls prevent further damage to the city itself
Sack of Rome (1084) - Rome is sacked by the Normans of Robert Guiscard
Sack of Rome (1527) - Rome is sacked by the mutinous troops of Emperor Charles V"

Strangely the only report of the taking of anything from St. Peter's, is the sack of Rome by the Arabs reportedly in 846 CE! Is that the reason that the Wikipedia authors question the veracity of Procopius? After all, Belisarius also is credited with the capture of Rome!

But, regarding the question of this strand! I would suggest that Belisarius, with the weight of real Gothic support, might well have changed history to a great degree! Instead of the Eastern Empire controling N. Africa, and a part of Spain, it might well have been the Goths and Belisarius? It would have made for a formidable opponent for Narses!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 10-Jan-2010 at 14:44
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 19:42
What if; Belisarius meant merely "Good or handsome Tsar? / Tzar / Caesar?"

Narses,
spartanbasileus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote spartanbasileus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 14:16
I would add this:
Gothic Italy before the Byzantine invasion was a rich and prosperous Kingdom. Theodoric had left a full treasury and had successfully melded the Gothic peoples onto the Roman superstructure of Italy as a social, warrior elite.

The financial devastation of Italy, along with the great loss in population, followed decades of wars against the E. Romans; and invasion by Franks and (later) Lombards.

Had Belisarius in the 3rd year of this war ended the hostilities by accepting the Goth's offer; while the Gothic population was still intact and the native Italian population and economy had yet to suffer the depradations to come, then Belisarius would have taken the throne of (potentially) a very solid state.

The Gothic warrior class numbered somewhere between 60,000 and 100,000 warriors (including teens and older warriors). Belisarius' credit with the Goths was very high. He would no doubt have incorporated their numbers into a new Western Roman/Italian army that would have soon been the stongest in Europe.

I think he and his successors would then have had a good chance to prevent the destruction of Roman Italy that followed; and the eventual invasion and conquest by the savage Lombards.

It is also highly likely that Belisarius would have instantly received the support of the Vandals; groaning under the heavy taxation and missrule of Justininan and his flunkies.

With Italy and North Africa, Belisarius would be in a strong position to not only hold his own; but to expand into Visgoth Spain and perhaps even Frankish Gaul....
Barry C. Jacobsen
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 14:22
Dear Barry!

Good post with some very good points! I enjoyed it a lot!

You wrote above; "I think he and his successors would then have had a good chance to prevent the destruction of Roman Italy that followed; and the eventual invasion and conquest by the savage Lombards."

I merely wondered just why you used the adjective "savage" to describe the Lombards / Longobeards?

As I sit here, I can not remember them as described in such a manner, and it seems the area of Itay that they carved out for themselves became a very powerful mover and shaker in latter day Italy (I use the word Italy, because it is more useful than any other term to describe it!)

Regards,

By the way, Belisarius is one of my favorite models for not only a great general, and a great man of loyalty to both his king and his nation, but as a man who was much maligned in his later years as well as being a cukold husband!

As the new king, I am sure he could at least, have divorced himself from his wife? laugh!

Edited by opuslola - 30-Mar-2010 at 14:36
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 14:35
By the way, just what do you think about the tomb of Theodric in Ravenna?

I just wonder what type of crane lifted the roof into place?

And, how about his "iron crown" and "casket?", or am I confusing him with someone else?

Regards,
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote spartanbasileus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 16:31
Hi, Ron!

The tradition of regarding the  Lombards as "savage" dates back at least as far as Gibbon. They were considered so because, unlike the earlier invaders of the Empire (Goths, Franks, Vandals, etc) they had little previous contact with Roman civilization prior to their invasion of Italy.

While some Lombards had fought as mercenaries in Narses' invasion forces in the 550s, as a people they were unassimilated by close contact with Roman civilzation.

The Lombards were joined in their invasion by elements of other "savage" peoples, such as Saxons and perhaps even Bulgars. These and the Lombards were fleeing the Avars, who had pushed into their previous area of settlement, Pannonia.

So these warrior peoples had little respect for the Roman population or its Classical civilization; unlike the Goths when they had siezed Italy in the previous century. They discarded Roman forms, such as civil administration and law courts; replacing them with Germanic institutions...

I would finally add that as far back as Tacitus, the Lombards are recorded as more fierce than the other Germanic tribes around them.

I too appreciate the qualities displayed in the character of Belisarius. He was a proto-type for the modern American military officers: completely professional, loyal, and as apolitical as was possible...
Barry C. Jacobsen
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote spartanbasileus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 16:33
Haven't examined the tomb, but I'll look into it.

As for the Iron Crown, you may be confusing that with the Iron Crown of Lombardy.

This was originally the crown of the Lombard monarchs, said to be made from nails off of the "True Cross". It was later used to crown Charlemagne emperor; as well as later Holy Roman Emperors!

B
Barry C. Jacobsen
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 18:09
Like I said, Barry. I was speaking out of the top of my head, and had probably confused some things!

But, it is obvious that Gibbon was a Roman apologist! Thus, he had reasons to call any civilization that he thought made little of his precious Roman civilization, that he was quick to down grade them and their laws, etc.!

Even the very name "Longo-bards?", or "Lom-bards", or a couple of other possibilites, can mostly be connected with either "beards" or, in my rather unique opinion, as "bards", like Shakespeare and Homer, for two examples!

I would suggest that they were members of a tribe of memory experts, or those who memorized great tales of the past! And, as such, they were also involved in the writing of said tales with pen and ink!

And, because of their abilities, they also may have become "bankers!"

Regards,
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote spartanbasileus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 19:00
Do you have Lombard ancestors, perchance? Smile 
Barry C. Jacobsen
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 19:32
Perhaps? Need a loan?

Regards,
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 21:07
He's turned into a Loanbard now.Approve
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2010 at 14:53
I think Shield-of-Dardania, actually caught my drift! Thanks!

For the others see;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard_banking

Regards,
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 17:46
How about the "Star of David" that is depicted upon Belisarius in a famous representation?

It can be seen at;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

And mention of it can be found at my "chevrons" posts!~

I went back and checked, and it seems the representation that I refered to is no longer there!

Wonder why?

I take that back, it seems that the site reduced the depiction, and thus the entire mosiac can be seen here;

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Meister_von_San_Vitale_in_Ravenna_003.jpg

Via the representation in the mosiac, we can assume that Belisarius was the "right hand" of the King!

You can read my entire remarks here;

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28424&KW=belisarius&PID=633310#633310

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 24-Jul-2010 at 18:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>