Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Janus Rook and his Robot Brain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Janus Rook and his Robot Brain
    Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 14:56
Hey all this here is where I will be posting my blog about whatever comes to mind. Hopefully this will act as a virtual-mind storage so that I don't always forget my deepest thoughts. I know I should take more ginseng or something right?

Anyway right now I'm looking forward to the UC Bearcats football game that starts at noon today.
To explain that to everyone that's the University of Cincinnati, Gridiron (American) football and I'm in the Eastern timezone. If you want to know what a Bearcat is maybe I'll explain sometime later. Back to the game they are playing the Rutgers University Scarlet Knights and should beat them fairly easily, however it is the Conference (Big East) opener for the Bearcats and I want to see how they play against the conference teams.

I figure I'll give you guys a sneak peak into one of my next posts. Currently as a thought experiment (and due to the recent election) I've decided to see if I can design a political system that will operate better than the current US system while still holding true to my personal values. So hopefully soon I'll have enough typed up that I can post it here in the blog so that I can get some feedback from it.

Well that's all I got for now, blog you guys later,
Janus Rook.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 19:21
Anyway right now I'm looking forward to the UC Bearcats football game that starts at noon today.
To explain that to everyone that's the University of Cincinnati, Gridiron (American) football and I'm in the Eastern timezone. If you want to know what a Bearcat is maybe I'll explain sometime later. Back to the game they are playing the Rutgers University Scarlet Knights and should beat them fairly easily, however it is the Conference (Big East) opener for the Bearcats and I want to see how they play against the conference teams.

Uhh, easily?   It's late 3rd.  score,  UC 13  Rutgers 10.  Rutgers is threatening.   UC might be doing better if it wasn't for the personal fouls.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 14:28
Good God! How do you give up 200 yards in penalties and fail to convert any third downs and never lose a lead in the game. UC played sloppy today, they can't afford that against real competition. Surprisingly the Bearcats didn't get any turnovers today, and Rutgers wisely chose to kick away from Mardy Gilyard (best Returner in the nation).

Red Clay would it be safe for me to assume youre a West Virginia fan?

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 16:16
Originally posted by JanusRook

Good God! How do you give up 200 yards in penalties and fail to convert any third downs and never lose a lead in the game. UC played sloppy today, they can't afford that against real competition. Surprisingly the Bearcats didn't get any turnovers today, and Rutgers wisely chose to kick away from Mardy Gilyard (best Returner in the nation).

Red Clay would it be safe for me to assume youre a West Virginia fan?

Actually I'm a long suffering Rutgers fan.  Rutgers is the State Uni. of New Jersey, was once an Ivy League school and participated in the first recognized, sanctioned College football game.[Rutgers vs Princeton]

Rutgers teams have a notorius rep. for running hot/cold from season to season.  One year they are bowl contenders, the next they are doormats.  The team from 06 would have taken UC apart.  We'll just have to wait and see if Schiano stays with Rutgers or goes back to his alma mater, Penn State.  He's usually mentioned as the top candidate to replace Joe Pa.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 22:43
The team from 06 would have taken UC apart.

That's funny because I remember the 06 game and how it springboarded UC's rise. It was during this game that I became a UC football fan, I didn't have a college football team at the time but after watching that Brent Celek touchdown I knew I was hooked. But yeah, if the 06 team was playing the team that showed up today they would've lost bad. Fortunately I think that this was just an off-game. Thank God we have a weaker UConn to play next week, so we can see if they set the ship straight.

Also you must've been going crazy that game at Mike Teel overthrowing his receivers on basically EVERY pass. If UC didn't get so many penalties the offense would've had no forward momentum. Of course starting pretty much every drive inside their own ten probably didn't help Rutgers too much either.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2008 at 10:41
Well here I am trying to get on the ball with this blog thing. I'm currently suffering from a bit of insomnia, I'd like to get my thoughts together to make an intelligent comment but I fear that I would just sound lIke an idiot. Right now I've flown to my girlfriends place where she is now asleep. I'm sitting here mildly bored, nursing an injury from an activity that is quite common but nevertheless I will refrain from speaking about here.

I've just ordered a massive number of books online. I'm on quite the cosmology jag so I have Rare Earth, The First Three Minutes and the Life and Death of Planet Earth. I'm also eager to get Superman:Red Son in because the alternate timeline intrigues me (although I will admit I haven't read a true comic book in years). I know, I know I should have at least one history book listed on my buy list but hey I'm waiting for 1434 by Gavin Menzies to drop in price (I'm not gonna pay for price for a crackpot).

Um other than that I go back to work tomorrow so I'll be really tired and probably won't be able to properly log in until the weekend. Still I may drop in to say a few words here and there, anyway guess I'll catch everyone later.

-Janus Rook.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2008 at 13:31
I appreciate the University of Cincinnati for letting their previous coach, Dantonio, to head the Spartans. His Michigan State team is doing pretty good.  

Kudos to Penn State too and that old Brooklynite.

Edited by Seko - 15-Oct-2008 at 13:31
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2008 at 19:53
Yea, at least one Michigan team is going strong. The wolverines have really been struggling this year, hopefully Rodriguez can get the team going again when his recruits come in.

Oh and Penn State will win the Big Ten and will be in the national championship this year. Mark my words on that prediction.*

*Now unfortunately Penn State will lose their next three games after said prediction.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 17:48
All right folks here comes the beginnings of my political model that I promised you all a while back. Now this isn't the final thing by a long shot, more of a basic outline but I figured I'd post it here to get a little bit of feedback so I could perhaps clarify or work on it some more. Anyway, here goes.

Basically one of the most egregious offenses to the American political system is corruption. This corruption reeks on all levels and it shows itself in some of the lowest forms of politics, lobbyists. My major goal will be to try and eliminate as much corruption as possible. I will do this in a few ways.

The first is to quite simply judge corruption as a betrayal of the trust the American people have given to it's politicians. The only crime this act can be interpreted as in my opinion is treason. Therefore any time a politician acts in a manner detrimental to the citizens of the United States, I would automatically classify it as treason. This can be as simple as using government funds on "dummy projects" for the politicians friends. In that case I would have the only punishment be the death penalty, which I'm strongly against for even violent offenses, but in my opinion politicians must be saints and if you aren't capable of living up to that code of ethics don't become a politician. On a personal note this treason is the most vile thing a human can do because it damages the thoughts, livelihood and relationships of thousands if not millions of people, so depending on the severity of the crime I'd like to make the death of the offender as gruesome and horrific as possible to serve as a warning to others who might be tempted to follow in their path.

In order to keep track of this I'd create an office that operates under it's own jurisdiction that would act on politicians (and only politicians) much in the same way the CIA acts on foreign espionage. This political watchdog agency would compile evidence and if they determined that a politician was in the wrong would prosecute them under a court specialized for this process.

Now would be a good time to mention the second thing I believe causes so much conflict and corruption in American government. When the founding fathers created the Constitution they established a separation of powers so that one branch of government would not get stronger than any other. One of the problems with this I see is that there is a certain fluidity between the three branches. I believe it is a conflict of interest for an executive to serve time in the legislature or the judiciary because the temptation of abuse becomes so much greater when you have built up relationships with peers in another branch. Therefore to correct this I would only allow parallel movements in politics, whereby a Judge could not run for an executive or legislative office, a Senator could not run for an executive or a judicial office and a Governor could not run for any of the other branches. Also I stand with George Washington in my dislike of factitious powers as political parties are. This is also a place where the powers of government are not able to be separated. As we see time and time again, politicians vote with the "party line" such that if a Republican controls the presidency and both houses and then appoints conservative judges. We in actuality do not have a separation of powers but a union of powers under a party banner. It doesn't matter if it comes and goes in cycles because that is akin to the coups and counter-coups of dictatorships around the world. Also sometimes it is worse to have a divided Congress and Presidency because that means that nothing gets done, and stagnation is worse than failure in politics because at least you learn something from failures. Therefore my solution would be to make political affiliations illegal. The age of technology has allowed near instantaneous viewing of a candidates positions on important and not-so important issues and as such this would allow politicians to stand for what they believe in and allow a better representation of American then what political parties create.

Finally I would alter the way our Democracy functions. As of right now we have a Representative Democracy but due to the growth of our nation it is too large a scale for most regions. I doubt many know who their district Representative is, and this is a problem. The way I would fix this would be to eliminate direct voting (such as presidential elections and issues) and have more public representatives. The lowest of which would receive no pay, and represent about four square blocks of a city and these would elect from amongst themselves the next tier and so on and so on until you got to the size of a normal district at which point the system would work as normal. Also I wouldn't have fixed terms for these representatives relying on votes of no confidence to oust them from their office.

So this is what I have worked out so far, more will be coming later. I'd love to hear what you guys have to think of this embryonic plan thus far.

Peace,
Janus Rook.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 18:06
I don't think you can take corruption out of politics without draconian measures, and you sure did cover that base too - the death penealty being one of them. Unfortunately corruption is not just at the top but in all spheres of the political ladder. Buying votes, buying a mayor, special perks to those who tow the party line. This has all been done before and will continue so long as people are people. The system is not always at fault. It's the rogue who benefits that makes life interesting.

As far as altering the way officials are appointed may have some merit. A good place to start is to make all judges appointed for a few terms only. Especially local ones. This way politics is not part of the election process. For instance, an incumbant Judge in county x is running for election. He talks tough about crime and seeks harsher penalties for misdameanors and felonies. Harsher than the previous election because he is now running out of scare tactics to garner votes. Before you know it the county is jailing more people that it can hold over stealing snicker's bars. That has got to go. Judges should not be able to run. They should be appointed for two terms only. Regularly talking tough and always making tough measures only hurts society. Sometimes treatment is where it's at not always incarceration.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 18:17
A good place to start is to make all judges appointed for a few terms only.

Oh believe me I agree with you on that issue. I kind of overlooked that in my post. I'd like to have judges held to my same "saintly" standards because they are entrusted with dispensing justice. I do like the idea of appointing judges, but I'll go one step better and only implement circuit judges. That a way they have absolutely no ties to the local community and can act in an objective manner. I'd like to have it so that they would be like active military where they can be called up on a whim to "serve their country".

I dislike the idea of having things like police forces and judiciary fully staffed at all times because it assumes that people will be committing crimes. Even though this is true in actuality I believe it enforces the idea in people's minds that the "cops are out to get them". This is why I'd rather pay judges and police to *gasp* not work all the time, unless it is on serious offenses.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 13:20
All I can say is DAMN YOU REDSKINS!!!!

Not only did you have to lose to the Steelers but you got destroyed by them. Thus ensuring a landslide victory for Obama. You couldn't have stepped up on defense and at least made it interesting.

Now Democrats are flooding congress because idiots chose the straight ticket ballot instead of being intelligent. Why would you vote against a guy in local elections who was always looking out for your districts best interest. Who was always in the community, who raised taxes when necessary and lowered them when not. All because he'd "been in Washington too long". And seriously that was the guys entire platform, when he wasn't associating the incumbent with claims of being a George Bush drone (he wasn't). So basically we have a guy who doesn't know what he's doing, in a completely new setting, taking over for a guy who was doing his job properly.

This makes me sick and makes me realize now that all terms should be eliminated. All elections from now on should come about from something like votes of no-confidence. That means that if there is enough public support against you that the people demand your removal you should be removed thus ending your term. On the other side of that though if you are doing your job you shouldn't lose it due to your term ending. Of course this would be unnecessary if we only allowed informed people to vote (which I would greatly prefer). Of course neither of this reforms will happen in the one-party (demopublican) state that America lives in.

A now sickened (politically),
Janus Rook.

Post Reply Post Reply