Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reliable primary sources needed online

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reliable primary sources needed online
    Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 18:10
Hi all,

I need access to a large collection of primary source material for the period spanning the launch of the first Crusade to the end of the third. I'm looking for reliable english translations of the Alexiad, but also some sources that cover Bohemund, Stephen of Blois etc. etc.

If you know of any reliable, scholarly based websites please let me know!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 05:45
Do you read French?
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 09:12
Check on project gutenberg.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 10:29

The only language I can speak or write is English...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 14:39
Peters, The First Crusade. It is a good compilation of primary sources.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 14:41
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 17:13
Cheers!
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 00:41
Try searching around Google Books.  There is a lot of stuff on there nowadays, although older editions which are now in the public domain.  Some newer editions you can read parts online.

Just curious, why are you stressing sources found online?  Most scholarly editions will be found in print.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 01:09

Here is a new one i stumbled across for iberia:

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 11:41
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Try searching around Google Books.  There is a lot of stuff on there nowadays, although older editions which are now in the public domain.  Some newer editions you can read parts online.

Just curious, why are you stressing sources found online?  Most scholarly editions will be found in print.

Most scholarly editions are duplicated online somewhere, just a matter of finding out where.

It is more convenient to have a database of articles, journals, letters etc. that having to sit down on an uncomfertable chair in a college library and dig through thousands of crap stuff thats irrelevant and possibly forged.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 12:44
The Alexiad is a good Byzantine perspective source, and I would wager can be found on project gutenberg
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 16:39
Originally posted by Parnell

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Most scholarly editions are duplicated online somewhere, just a matter of finding out where.

It is more convenient to have a database of articles, journals, letters etc. that having to sit down on an uncomfertable chair in a college library and dig through thousands of crap stuff thats irrelevant and possibly forged.

Yes, it can be convenient, but that does not make it scholarly, necessarily.  I would beg to differ that much of the "crap stuff" is found online, as well as "forged" material.  You are far more likely to be misled by them than what you will find in the library.  The key is to read critically when examining texts. 

If you are looking to do scholarly research, the chances are that professors or colleagues who read your writing will dock you for citing websites instead of print materials.  As far as secondary journal literature, there are some good electronic databases such as JSTOR, ITER, and Academic Search Premier, but you will need to access them through a university that subscribes.  These are limited in scope because they often do not have the latest issues or older back issues.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 16:44

I know all of that, cheers.

Edited by Parnell - 09-Oct-2008 at 16:45
 Post Reply Post Reply