Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard time to be Pro-American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard time to be Pro-American
    Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 11:44
I have always been Pro-American in the sense of its history, its greatly gifted oratorical social and civic leaders over the years, its eternal optimism and other things. But there has always been parts of it that have repulsed me utterly - namely the large section of the country who think someone who knows the difference between Hannibal the general and the Cannibal guy is some sort of 'gayboy' who spends too much time 'reading' and 'stuff'. The film 'Idiocracy' actually sums up a lot of my fears and misgivings about the place.

However, the last 8 years has made it virtually impossible to be seen to be even remotely pro American in Europe. A President who waged wars like a bloodthirsty middle eastern warlord, and who pissed on the constitution, tortured people, manipulated millions of simple minded yet genuine Americans. Mc Cain, I thought, would become the saviour of the Republican party. How I was wrong.

He started the campaign well, arguing on issues and not Obama's character. Then, in a moment of sheer and utter political expediency (And complete and utter disregard for the well being of the country - compare Obama and Mc Cains VP picks) he chose a halfwit - dare I say - b*tch - and groomed her for attacks of a racially tinged nature as soon as times got tough in the election. He's behind 6 points right now so it seems about right to ignore the economy and point out to all those Americans who might have forgotten that Obama is in fact.... A black man!

God help America.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 05:22
Do you find me or my views repulsive Parnell?
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 06:19

America's history since WWII isn't a story of generous helpfulness or an example of democratic acting. Since the Korean crisis, the American policy is based on ignorance, misinterpretations, boasting and a behaviour of a yokel.

Would you love a near relative, who comes into your house, rearranges all rooms, throws you food out of the window, installs new rules of cohabitation and hugs you like a vice, gives you a big wet kiss on your brow and says: This, sweetheart, is only for your best? Don't worry, in about ten years i will leave your house, Darling.

Would you like such an aunt/uncle ?

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 10-Oct-2008 at 06:20

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 12:19
Originally posted by Panther

Of course not. Its people who ignore reality for political reasons I find repulsive (IE, www.conservapedia.com)
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 14:17
If you find it hard to be pro-american in europe, just respond in the american way. By punching everyone in the face who says you are wrong.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 14:26
Originally posted by Parnell

Of course not. Its people who ignore reality for political reasons I find repulsive (IE, www.conservapedia.com)

Ahhh... i now see what you are saying. I hope you pardon me for being so incredibly presumptuous? Embarrassed
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 15:10
Originally posted by JanusRook

If you find it hard to be pro-american in europe, just respond in the american way. By punching everyone in the face who says you are wrong.

I think that's exactly the kind of American behaviour he's reacting against. Tongue

I knew plenty of Americans back in my university days and none of them lived up to the negative stereotypes, in fact they were some of the most pleasant and stimulating people I have ever met. But then again they were all exchange students from the middle to upper middle class of the northeast states, especially New York, so I suppose they weren't necessarily representative of the average American.

This is also why I don't know if I'm pro-American or not. I'd definitely think highly the USA if I considered my personal American acquaintances as representative, but it's a bit hard to make a general statement when there is, seemingly, a majority of uncouth ignorants with an unfortunate influence on politics. I guess you could say I'm pro all enlightened people regardless of nationality, but it's a bit harder to say I'm pro a nation's policies if they are shaped by the ignorant masses.

If only the USA could rely on its intellectuals to a far greater extent and let them set the political course of the nation, and educate the masses rather than cater to their ignorance. Maybe then we would see an end to people who use "gay" as a general derogatory term, who use the word "them" when it should be "those" and who can't place their own country on a map. For as history has shown us, there is nothing more dangerous or lethal than the foibles of the ignorant masses.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 15:25

I think that you know the difference between Hannibal and H. Lector, so it doesn't apply to you ]:)]
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 01:10
Originally posted by hugoestr

I think that you know the difference between Hannibal and H. Lector, so it doesn't apply to you ]:)]

Evil%20Smile... Sure.

That guy... H. Lector gave the Roman's a hard time, while that Hannibal dude gave some female f.b.i. agent a hard time. Big%20smile

Sorry, i tried too resist... Honest! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply