Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Christ the Magician"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Christ the Magician"
    Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 10:06
Historians such as Josephus have referred to him as a magician and sorcerer too.
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 10:11
Originally posted by Flipper

Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Orgies, damned i belong to the anti-christian-community and usualy i don't take part at orgies. Where do this events take place?

Well...It is said that just a couple of decades ago, in the carneval of Tyrnabos (between central Greece and Thessaly) young people of the opposite gender used to pick up randomly a discuised partner LOL  and had some orgies...until...one day something went wrong and they stopped that tradition. I dunno if it is true or bullshit, but i've heard some wild stories about it.

And the wild stories are?.......

I think I've read somewhere that the Phoenicians had a similar ritual also.  It was something like every woman least once in her life had to go to a temple(of Baal?) and offer herself to a stranger.  I was that stranger once.  No, but one of my ex was a half Lebanese, so close enough?Wink 

But considering their early maritime trade culture, it makes sense to develop/adopt a religion or its rituals that promote multi-culturalism?  It made sense to me then.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 03-Dec-2008 at 10:13
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 13:33
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Not arguing with any person who can translate Greek better than me (ie at all), but I do seem to remember that a few other prophets in the past have been accused of being magicians. Pharaoh once challenged Moses's "magic" against his own magicians (resulting in the magicians subsequent conversion)

So Christ the Magician may not be modern anti-Christian propaganda but ancient anti-Christian/Muslim propaganda.
Woodhouse does give 'gois' (i is eta) as a term for magician.

Christ the Magician could also be pro-Christian propaganda, depending how you feel about magic. Weren't magicians popularly supposed to work miracles?

Not that I think that's true here. The dating appears to be much too early to be a reference to Jesus of Nazareth.

(Though I see some are already saying this my be the Grail.)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 23:31

The Bible speaks well about the Magi of the orient. I would expect the story of the visit they pay to the new born child has a meaning beyond the surface. What else could mean that visit that the initiation or the welcome ritual to the community of wise men, known as the Magi? I have always though that particular section of the New Testament is fictitious, but perhaps has a very important symbolic meaning it escapes me.

Besides, every myracle shown in the New Testament could be interpreted as magic, in the sense is beyong what happens in this world. 

Edited by pinguin - 03-Dec-2008 at 23:35
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 18:58
To the guest who regularly views this thread: don't be shy, register with us. Your own opinions matterThumbs Up
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 11:31
Yes, i'm talking to YOU. Come and join us, my friendSmile
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 13:01
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Not arguing with any person who can translate Greek better than me (ie at all), but I do seem to remember that a few other prophets in the past have been accused of being magicians. Pharaoh once challenged Moses's "magic" against his own magicians (resulting in the magicians subsequent conversion)

So Christ the Magician may not be modern anti-Christian propaganda but ancient anti-Christian/Muslim propaganda.
Woodhouse does give 'gois' (i is eta) as a term for magician.

Christ the Magician could also be pro-Christian propaganda, depending how you feel about magic. Weren't magicians popularly supposed to work miracles?

Not that I think that's true here. The dating appears to be much too early to be a reference to Jesus of Nazareth.

(Though I see some are already saying this my be the Grail.)

I think the Greek word for magician is Magos μάγος and not gois. Either way I'm quite convinced that this vase doesn't refer to Jesus because of the spelling with an eta.

I don't think that 'christ the magician' could be used as pro-christian propaganda since the miracles are supposed to be from God, not some magical mastery of the supernatural. The point of the miracles was to show the omnipotence of God and to prove that God can make anything happen.
Timidi mater non flet
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 16:57
Does anyone have a recent article or finding concerning the bowl itself?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 19:14
This website has links to several books on the subject
http://deeperstudy.blogspot.com/2008/10/archaeology-update-jesus-was-miracle.html
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2012 at 19:18

A photo of Jesus' cup from the website above. Could this be the real Holy Grail?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12