Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

younan or greece?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
curious View Drop Down
  Quote curious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: younan or greece?
    Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 03:00
i asked a greek what they used to call greece - i had no idea they weren't the ancient - she said they have always called it greece! i said ok - a  bit bemused - and said we call it younan! she said she had never heard that name for it before! no-one in iran calls greece greece - younan is greece and younani greek! i had no idea they were not the people of ancient greece! i doubt very much if other iranians know this! so, what is the actual name of greece? younan or greece?
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 04:45
Hellas is the name of their country and Hellenic their nationality.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 06:12
Originally posted by curious

i asked a greek what they used to call greece - i had no idea they weren't the ancient - she said they have always called it greece! i said ok - a  bit bemused - and said we call it younan! she said she had never heard that name for it before! no-one in iran calls greece greece - younan is greece and younani greek! i had no idea they were not the people of ancient greece! i doubt very much if other iranians know this! so, what is the actual name of greece? younan or greece?

She must have been on drugs or something...
Like Suren said, we call ourselves Hellenes like in ancient times and the country Hellas not Greece. We know very well what Yunan is since all people from Asia call us like that. In Turkey, they call the country Yunanistan and the people living in Greece Yunan. The Greeks living in Turkey are called by the Turks Rum.

The Western world calls Greece for Greece and that's because a tribe called Graeki that migrated in Italy 3100 years ago. The Latins started to call all speakers of Greek for Greek, no matter what tribe they belonged to.

I dunno, where you met this girl, but seriously, in Greece you won't find a person not knowing what Yunanistan means and nobody will tell you we call Greece for "Greece" and not "Hellas" or "Hellada".

This was really absurd LOL. Are you sure she was Greek?

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 08:42
The word "Greece" doesn't really exist in greek vocabulary. It's a strictly latin word. Occasionally, it's used as "Grekos" with depreciatory meaning.

Traditionally, the greeks called themselves "Romaioi/Romioi" (read Romei/Romii), while the term "Ellines" ("Hellenes" in english) was also used, but rarely before the late 18th century (age of european enlightment and nationalism)

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 09:47
Also the term Grekos was used during medieval times selectively, alongside Romioi. However, the term Grecia/Greece was never used.

The primary term currently used is Hellen/Hellenas and in some cases (Greeks in or from Turkey) ,people use Romios.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 11:24
In Turkey, they call the country Yunanistan and the people living in Greece Yunan. The Greeks living in Turkey are called by the Turks Rum.

This is correct. Cypriot Greeks are also called Rum. Greek minorities in other states are less clear, but Yunan seems to be more common for those in Albania, at least.

Official dictionary of the Turkish Language Association defines 'Rum' as:
1. Someone of Greek origin who resides in a Muslim country. [This is not entirely correct as Greeks in Cyprus are called Rum, but not the ones in Albania.]
2. (historical) People who lived within the borders of the Eastern Roman Empire and had the rights of a Roman citizen.
3. (obsolete) Anatolia.

'Yunan' is defined as:
1. Someone who lives in Greece or is of the people of Greece. From Greece.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 15:43
Yunanistan is a wrong word because Yunan (Yun-an) itself means "Land of Yuns", Yun (Old Persian Yauna) was the Persian name of Ionians.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Yunanistan is a wrong word because Yunan (Yun-an) itself means "Land of Yuns", Yun (Old Persian Yauna) was the Persian name of Ionians.

Yes, indeed, but so is Greek. Those terms are tribe-specific depending on which group of Greeks various people met/had most contact with.

Ionians were the people who bordered the Persians in many cases, so whoever was speaking a Hellenic language was a Yauna.

The same goes for Romans...Whoever spoke a Hellenic language was a Grecian.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 16:28
If you ask 'what is the name of....?' you need to specify in what language. While there's some overlap, all languages have their own names for things and places and people.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 16:32
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

In Turkey, they call the country Yunanistan and the people living in Greece Yunan. The Greeks living in Turkey are called by the Turks Rum.

This is correct. Cypriot Greeks are also called Rum. Greek minorities in other states are less clear, but Yunan seems to be more common for those in Albania, at least.

Official dictionary of the Turkish Language Association defines 'Rum' as:
1. Someone of Greek origin who resides in a Muslim country. [This is not entirely correct as Greeks in Cyprus are called Rum, but not the ones in Albania.]
2. (historical) People who lived within the borders of the Eastern Roman Empire and had the rights of a Roman citizen.
3. (obsolete) Anatolia.

'Yunan' is defined as:
1. Someone who lives in Greece or is of the people of Greece. From Greece.

Concerning the 3rd definition, does it point to Hellenized people of Anatolia that speak Greek?

Is there a specific term for Greek speaking muslim population in eastern Anatolia or northern e.g Kapadokia, Trabzond etc?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 17:13
...maybe there used to be but not any that I am currently familiar with.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 18:07
Concerning the 3rd definition, does it point to Hellenized people of Anatolia that speak Greek?

3rd definition does not refer to people, but to the land (geography). E.g. 'Seljuk Sultanate of Rum' (i.e. Roman Lands), as in the famous poet, Jalaleddin Rumi (who lived in Konya-Iconium), or the architect Mehmed (?) Rumi (a dome expert who went to India to build the dome of Taj Mahal). When the West called Anatolia 'Turkey' in the Middle Ages, Turks called it 'Rum'. Later Anatolia was Turkified and this usage became obsolete, possibly because Roman rule faded from memory. Similarly 'Rumeli' (literally 'Roman land', -eli being the Turkic equivalent of -stan) was used for the European part of the Ottoman Empire (still being used for Thrace, but old-fashioned).

Is there a specific term for Greek speaking muslim population in eastern Anatolia or northern e.g Kapadokia, Trabzond etc?

Not any that I know, but I guess not. Ask Mortaza, he has family, IIRC. Christians are called 'Pontus Rumu', 'Rum of Pontus'.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 18:35
Probably Rum didn't relate to Rome and Romans, as I heard that was originally the old Assyrian name of the lake Urumia (Ur=city/land + Mia=water), so the names of the cities Orumieh in the northwest of Iran and and Arz-Urum (Erzurum) in the eastern part of modern Turkey, comes probably from this Assyrian word.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 18:54
It may be of topic: Erzurum is a perfect combination of Arz((erz) Earth is Arabic) + Rum= Land of Romans. I think the name of city is not old enough to come from the Assyrian language.

How about the name of Roma people, why we call them Roma in English? their Persian name is Koali.

Edited by Suren - 02-Oct-2008 at 18:57
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 20:33
It may be of topic: Erzurum is a perfect combination of Arz((erz) Earth is Arabic) + Rum= Land of Romans. I think the name of city is not old enough to come from the Assyrian language.
I didn't say that the name of this city also comes from Assyrian, I meant it is possible that the second part of it (urum) relates to "Urumia", anyway "Arzurum" is certainly not an Arabic, firstly because in Arabic "Arz" never means "Earth" but "Rice", and secondly if even it meant "Rice of Rome" then it should be "Arzalrum" (Arz al-Rum) in Arabic.
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 20:48
Originally posted by Flipper

The Western world calls Greece for Greece and that's because a tribe called Graeki that migrated in Italy 3100 years ago. The Latins started to call all speakers of Greek for Greek, no matter what tribe they belonged to.

Furthermore , West  called  Eastern Roman Empire as Imperium Graecorum, The Empire of the Greeks.Somehow stay the name Greece in our times.

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 21:16
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

3rd definition does not refer to people, but to the land (geography). E.g. 'Seljuk Sultanate of Rum' (i.e. Roman Lands), as in the famous poet, Jalaleddin Rumi (who lived in Konya-Iconium), or the architect Mehmed (?) Rumi (a dome expert who went to India to build the dome of Taj Mahal). When the West called Anatolia 'Turkey' in the Middle Ages, Turks called it 'Rum'. Later Anatolia was Turkified and this usage became obsolete, possibly because Roman rule faded from memory. Similarly 'Rumeli' (literally 'Roman land', -eli being the Turkic equivalent of -stan) was used for the European part of the Ottoman Empire (still being used for Thrace, but old-fashioned).

Not any that I know, but I guess not. Ask Mortaza, he has family, IIRC. Christians are called 'Pontus Rumu', 'Rum of Pontus'.

Yes, Rumeli as a term was used by Greeks sometimes for the Greek mainland and especially southern Thrace.

As for the Pontus Rum, they call themselves Romioi in Greek and Rum and Turkish. They call the language in their dialect for "Romeika" or Hellenica in standard Greek.

There are some cultural sites of villages in the central & northcentral turkey. One of them is this (http://ocena.info/), which has been featured in Turkish press, concerning the language. They call it Romeika too. They use turkish-latin alfabet to write it. Note also, that they are muslim, not Christians.

What does "Anadolu'nun Romeyikası" mean? I understand what Anadolu is but what does the sentence mean as a whole?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 15:52
What does "Anadolu'nun Romeyikası" mean? I understand what Anadolu is but what does the sentence mean as a whole?

'Anatolia's Romeika' or 'Romeika of Anatolia', it's not a sentence. Emphasis is on Anatolia (use of possessive, as in 'Romeika belonging to Anatolia'), probably written this way to compare it to Romeika from somewhere else.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 18:30
Thank you Beylereyi! :)

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 18:56
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I didn't say that the name of this city also comes from Assyrian, I meant it is possible that the second part of it (urum) relates to "Urumia", anyway "Arzurum" is certainly not an Arabic, firstly because in Arabic "Arz" never means "Earth" but "Rice", and secondly if even it meant "Rice of Rome" then it should be "Arzalrum" (Arz al-Rum) in Arabic.

You mean Arz with sad zad mean rice ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>