Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTURANIANS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TURANIANS
    Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 22:43
Originally posted by Phallanx

Some sources that support his Jewish ancestry.

Ataturk, The Rebirth of a Nation, Lord Kinross, 1965, p. 437

For Kemal, Islam and civilization were a contradiction in terms. "If only," he once said of the Turks, with a flash of cynical insight, "we could make them Christians!" His was not to be the reformed Islamic state for which the Faithful were waiting: it was to be a strictly lay state, with a centralized Government as strong as the Sultan's, backed by the army and run by his own intellectual bureaucracy.
-----------------------------
Turkey, Emil Lengyel, 1941, pp. 140-141

During the early days of Kemal's career, many of his followers were under the impression that he was a champion of Islam and that they were fighting the Christians. "Ghazi, Destroyer of Christians" was the name they gave him. Had they been aware of his real intentions, they would have called him "Ghazi, Destroyer of Islam."
-------------------------

Grey Wolf, Mustafa Kemal, An Intimate Study of a Dictator, H.C. Armstrong, 1934

p. 241:

"For five hundred years these rules and theories of an Arab sheik," he said, "and the interpretations of generations of lazy, good-for-nothing priests have decided the civil and the criminal law of Turkey."

"They had decided the form of the constitution, the details of the lives of each Turk, his food, his hours of rising and sleeping, the shape of his clothes, the routine of the midwife who produced his children, what he learnt in his schools, his customs, his thoughts, even his most intimate habits."

"Islam, this theology of an immoral Arab, is a dead thing." Possibly it might have suited tribes of nomads in the desert. It was no good for a modern progressive State.

"God's revelation!" There was no God. That was one of the chains by which the priests and bad rulers bound the people down.

"A ruler who needs religion to help him rule is a weakling. No weakling should rule.."

And the priests! How he hated them. The lazy, unproductive priests who ate up the sustenance of the people. He would chase them out of their mosques and monasteries to work like men.

Religion! He would tear religion from Turkey as one might tear the throttling ivy away to save a young tree

p. 243

Further, it was public knowledge that he was irreligious, broke all the rules of decency, and scoffed at sacred things. He had chased the Sheik-ul-Islam, the High Priest of Islam, out of his office and thrown the Koran after him. He had forced the women in Angora to unveil. He had encouraged them to dance body close to body with accursed foreign men and Christians.
------------------------

Turkey, Emil Lengyel, 1941, p. 134

Kemal cared nothing about Allah; he was interested in himself and in Turkey. He hated Allah and made him responsible for Turkey's misfortune. It was Allah's tyrannical rule that paralyzed the hands of the Turk. But he knew that Allah was real to the Turkish peasant, while nationalism meant nothing to him. He decided, therefore, to draft Allah into his service as the publicity director of his national cause. Through Allah's aid his people must cease to be Mohammedans and become Turks. Then, after Allah had served Kemal's purpose, he could discard him.
-------------------------

Ataturk, The Rebirth of a Nation, Lord Kinross, 1965, p. 437

For Kemal, Islam and civilization were a contradiction in terms. "If only," he once said of the Turks, with a flash of cynical insight, "we could make them Christians!" His was not to be the reformed Islamic state for which the Faithful were waiting: it was to be a strictly lay state, with a centralized Government as strong as the Sultan's, backed by the army and run by his own intellectual bureaucracy.
---------------------

Oguz,

Well your comment about his being from Thessaloniki actually supports the connection. If you ever look up the area his house was, you'll find that it was right in the center of the Jewish community of Thessaloniki.

too many inaccurate infos in your posts.first of all Gazi doesn't mean "Destroyer of Christians". Gazi is a title of a soldier who has been wounded in a war like my father he has the same title because he got wounded in 74 in Cyprus.

Ataturk believed in god no doubt but he wasn't a religous person, period.

I would like to point you out in two different views.First Arabs, they didn't like him because he ended the Caliphate, change the alphabet etc.now, the website you copy/paste those quotes strongly supports these ideas.
http://www.ummah.org.uk/sultan/donmeh.html

Second the jews, they were and still in search of famous, accomplished people to see any jewish connection throughout their history.once they found a tiny little connection they will use it until someone claims the otherwise.that's why claiming Ataturk a jew isn't popular, even in jewish community.I don't know about the Thessaloniki and neighborhood where the house but living in a jewish community isn't something strange if you are a bussinesman at that times.even today it is common.I don't know who  Emil Lengyel is,  he sounds like a Hungarian jew so it doesn't surprise me if he claims Ataturk hated arabs and islam and the website supports his ideas because it's an islamic website.

Edited by erci
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 04:07
I am new here, i am azeri turk, I live in iran, and get alot of racism towards me and my friends from iranians. I think it is time for all iranians and the iranian country to realize that it is also part of the great turan spaning from eastern europe going through asia because 1/3 of its population is turkish and most iranians have turk blood in them. Just like anatolian turks who have a lot of iranic blood in them. Up till now when i see iranians they look turkish to me most of them, And i find it hard to distinguish between turks from turkiye  (i have been to istanbol, ankara) yet they view themselves so superior and make jokes against us.. But anyway i am proud of being turk and i think turkiye is the greatest turkish nation and all turks in the world should learn from turkey and try to become like turkey, then the whole world will know the turks not only in turkey but all over. 
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 07:21

Well your comment about his being from Thessaloniki actually supports the connection. If you ever look up the area his house was, you'll find that it was right in the center of the Jewish community of Thessaloniki.

Well, he was nearly an atheist. He had a speech with a German reporter about religions, and he declared all his ideas to them. But he has photos with the cemaat praying together, emphasizing the importance of religion etc.

Anyway, as I said before, no problem with him being Jewish if he was. Jews were way more loyal and benefical for Turks than Orthodox and even Sunnite subjects. Marx was also a Jew from ancestry but an atheist. Khazar Turks were also Turks from ancestry but Jews. Ataturk's father may have some Jewish origins, but he was a Turk and Muslim (not very religious one tough).

And I have a question that you might be familiar with. What hapened to the Jews and Turks of Thesellanoiki? We know that it was the capital of Rumelia with a dominant Muslim population during the Ottoman reign. Where are they now?

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 08:26
As for the Turks, weren' you the one that mentioned population exchange in a different topic. Bingo
There are hundreds of records that support the movement of the Jews of Thessaloniki towards Constantinopoli in the early stages of it's conquer, where they formed an enormous economic community.
Others of course remained and others moved to Anatolia. You see there was actually a large population comming in from Spain after their expultion sometime in 1460..
Before ww2 records mention some 80-90000 in Thessaloniki alone, but.....we know what happened to them..
If you want to see todays Jews, any simple search will give you loads of info on their population, cultural organizations, publications...etc There is actually a quite active Synagogue here in my city as in many others in Hellas.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 09:09

Constantinopoli? Its hasnt been called that 1453. Just incase you didnt know the city is called ISTANBUL, try to keep up with modern politics.

Erci, respect to your father a true hero.

Gazi i belive was orginally a title similar to Mujahid. The defneder of the faith, although under the Ottomans its meaning came to mean those that have participated and survived in a war for either the faith of nation.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 09:24
Hmmm, no we've done this before and the name Constantinoupoli was used well into the 1920's. But anyway, I was refering to that time and not now...

Here is the previous discussion:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4150& ; ; ; ;KW=turkish+flag

Gazi Warrior
A title given to Islamic warriors who distinguished themselves as conquerors of unbelievers, the gazis acquired wealth and property on the frontiers of Islam, becoming the local nobility.

(University of Calgary)

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 10:05

As for the Turks, weren' you the one that mentioned population exchange in a different topic. Bingo

What bingo? We arent having a flame war of beting each other, I just asked the question. Yes, most of the Turks of Thesellanoiki were transfered to Turkey. But I am still not informed about the Jews. It had a large Jewish population for sure.

Hmmm, no we've done this before and the name Constantinoupoli was used well into the 1920's

No it wasnt. It was Konstantiniye. And if we suddenly decide to call it Ahmedabad or Yeni Balasagun, the world would recognize that name. IT's all about choices.

"Gazi" means "veteran" in Turkish, a soldier who is injured or wounded during a war for Islam or his nation. We dont use it similar to the original meaning.

Ghazi, Destroyer of Christians

A shi**y ignorant non sense claim again. Gazi means wounded soldier. Ataturk won this title after he was injured when fighting the enemy.

My greatpa was also a Gazi, when fighting in Yemen-Aden against British, the reason there wasnt against Christianity at all.

we could make them Christians!"

lol What a damn funny article! So he loved Chritians, naturally Greeks. So finally, you contradict yourself by blaming him with Christian hating.

If Ataturk hated Arabs, (definately he didnt), he had fine reasons to hate for sure. But he didnt, he was a man of logic, not a man of personal or religious missions. He only cared about his nations' future, and he succeeded. God bless his soul.

Edited by Oguzoglu
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 10:40

Originally posted by Arpad

I am new here, i am azeri turk, I live in iran, and get alot of racism towards me and my friends from iranians. I think it is time for all iranians and the iranian country to realize that it is also part of the great turan spaning from eastern europe going through asia because 1/3 of its population is turkish and most iranians have turk blood in them. Just like anatolian turks who have a lot of iranic blood in them. Up till now when i see iranians they look turkish to me most of them, And i find it hard to distinguish between turks from turkiye  (i have been to istanbol, ankara) yet they view themselves so superior and make jokes against us.. But anyway i am proud of being turk and i think turkiye is the greatest turkish nation and all turks in the world should learn from turkey and try to become like turkey, then the whole world will know the turks not only in turkey but all over. 

In Iran,nobody hate Azeris.But may be in Australia the White ultra-Nationalists hate and even beat you! Anayway,as I said,in Iran nobody hate you!

http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:02
Do I have to remind you, Tork-e Khar?
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:03
Oguz

There is no flame war, don't understand where you see it, I just pointed out that you know where the Turkish population went.

Why do you insist on an already discussed topic that has proven your beliefs on the name issue to be wrong. Since you obviously didn't look at the link I posted and since you obviously forgot about that discussion. Let me re-post.

1921 envelope

Here are some documents with the name Constantinopoli but couldn't find anything older than the 1920's:

1911, "De Paris à Constantinople, les Guides Bleus" Hachette
http://www.trainsofturkey.com/maps/Constantinople_1911_L.jpg

"Plan du réseau, Société des Tramways de Constantinople"
http://www.trainsofturkey.com/maps/istanbul_tram11.jpg

Constantinople postcards 1910
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/curioshop/item/col8166

Censored Postcard Constantinople to Vienna.1917:
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/curioshop/item/col6149

1917: Old Turkey: Attractive Postcard of two Muslims
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/curioshop/item/col7120

All the above prove that the name was used, Let's not continue the discussion with already proven facts.

A shi**y ignorant non sense claim again. Gazi means wounded soldier. Ataturk won this title after he was injured when fighting the enemy.

I'm not claiming anything. Of course you know your language but I'm providing links that have a different opinion than yours. What's wrong with that??? Someone is wrong but that isn't me, I'm just copy/pasting what others have to say.
I gave the University of Calgary above.
Here are more:

"Gazi

Warrior of the Islamic faith, often awarded as a title in recognition for valor in battle. Many gazis were mercenaries, fighting for booty or a chance to establish a chieftaincy on conquered territory. Sometimes spelled ghazi in English. Many Ottoman sultans called themselves as Gazi."
http://www.allaboutturkey.com/sozlukislam1.htm

----------------

Ghazi Warrior

In its active participle form of ghāzī ("one who takes part in a ghāziya"), the word is technical term for a Muslim frontier/march warrior whose constant attacks against a neighboring infidel power open the way for the expansion of Islam. Thus as an institution the ghāziya fits entirely within the conceptual framework of jihad:

For the ghāzīs in the marches, it was a religious duty to ravage the countries of the infidels who resisted Islam, and to force them into subjection.
Cambridge History of Islam, p. 283
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghazw
-----------------------------------

Ghazi

Among Mohammedans, a warrior champion or veteran, esp. in the destruction of infidels.

http://www.brainydictionary.com/words/gh/ghazi168951.html
------------------------------------

Ghazi: Warrior or conqueror, used both as a title and as a means of attracting Turkomans to fight for the faith and for the expanding principality.

http://web.mit.edu/4.614/www/handout16.html
---------------------------------------

the ghazi tradition, warriors who fight for the faith against the infidel. the term ghazi is given to all those who kill and infidel, and is a last name that can be found among some muslims.

http://www.andrewiandodge.com/archives/000278.html
----------------------------

The term ghazi came to mean "warrior for the faith,"

http://www.army.mil/professionalwriting/volumes/volume3/marc h_2005/3_05_1.html
-----------------------

For Muslims of his day he was Ghazi meaning a Mohammadan warrior, a slayer of infidels.

http://www.romani.org/rishi/retygajo.html
----------------------------

There are literally hundreds of sites that connect Gazi/Ghazi to warrior of faith, I hope you get the point, since even 'all about Turkey' is one of my sources.
lol What a damn funny article! So he loved Chritians, naturally Greeks. So finally, you contradict yourself by blaming him with Christian hating.

I'm sure you can't reject Lord Kinross as a source. You need to read the quote all over again, cause you're jumping to conclusions that aren't presented in the quote.
There is no reference to 'love' or any other kind of sympathy towards Christianity. The quote supports what you said earlier, it is talking  about him considering Islam a backward religion that was holding Turkey back and was an obstacle in 'civilizing' the country.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:03

Your IP.

You are a lying provocateaur.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:09

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Do I have to remind you, Tork-e Khar?

Quite funny how these jokes are actually told also by Torks themselves.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:14

1- Who is a lying provocator? Arpad?

2- If he was lying, how did Ardashir know that?

3- The topic was about Turanians (which is a wrong word in my opinion), and it became a topic about Ataturk and provocative lyers. It isnt just absurd, but funny though...

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:19

I accused him of lying and being a provocatuear, he deleted his post above mine, the one where he asked "how did you know I am from Aust.?" to Ardashir.

Ardashir must have read it from the topic I locked in the Iranian forum, the one that was intended to cause disruption.

Ataturk was brought into the equation as a pure Turanian then I mentioned I read somewhere that he has maybe Jewish origins from Spain.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:22

Claiming ethnic purity isnt just absurd but racist and nonsense. Ataturk was a Turk. End of discussion.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:22
I know.
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:42
hey dont call me a lyer, i deleted the message because i already sent you a pm thats why.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:46

i am azeri turk, I live in iran, and get alot of racism towards me and my friends from iranians

I call it how I see it, next time don't fabricate personal experiences, or at least take all factors into consideration before you do.

Iranban View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 11:53

I have a question. Isn't it said that Azaris are turkicized Persians meaning their language is a Turkic language? As for me an azari is someone from northern Iran therefore an  Azari look like someone from northern Iran

And the sentence

and get alot of racism towards me and my friends from iranians.

well all i can say is=

Iranban View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 12:09

I found this:

Turk khodeti
Azaris are not Turks. They are Iranians who speak Turkish

Keyvan Valizadeh
June 7, 2005
iranian.com unedited

I am sorry but my english is very weak. My name is Keyvan Valizadeh and I am an Iranian Azari born in Belgium.

I was taught in my childhood that we were "iranian tork" but when I was 16, I told myself that this was weird to be both iranian and turk. I wanted to be sure of my identity. And I remember that I hated the Persians because I heard from pan-turkist azaris that we were being oppressed by them for hundreds years.

The fact that we spoke a turkish language was enough for me to claim I was in fact a Turk. But with time I discovered that these pan-turkist nationalists didn't reveal us all about our history and many of their claims was totally false. But I feel to be turkish even if I begin hesitating about the origin of my people.

I was suddenly sad not to know my origins. I begin to search books about the history of the Azaris. I read books of Ahmad Kasravi and books of the "Azari nationalists". I understood that the historical facts were hidden by those "nationalists" and I found that many of their claims were lies (like the Azari language didn't exist and that the Azaris are in fact Turks that settled in Iran). Archeological founds said indeed the opposite.

But I was sure I was a Turk because of the language my family spoke.

My parents were very disappointing when I said to them that they were not Iranians and in fact traitors that prefered to change their identity. The castle of Babak Khorramdin, this Azari Hero that fought the Arabs was a proof for them that our ancestors were Iranians as both the Azaris and Persians spoke different dialects of the same language and that both were Zoroastrians at that time.

I was really impressed about their knowledge and was rather amused by the fact that I could have found answers of all my questions without reading all of these books. Azaris are in fact aware of their history, something the Turks don't know. But I wasn't still conviced.

I went to this famous Babak Castle that the pan-turkist Azaris praised. I didn't know why these pan-turkists that I admired earlier didn't said what was the real goal of his fight against the Arabs. Years before in Maragheh (where I am from) the pan-turkists gave me leaflets that said the "first Azeri hero that fought the Persians for their independance was Babak Khorramdin".

I was now shocked because I knew it was false. I knew that Babak (whose name I noticed was not turkish) was fighting the Arabs and not the Persians and wanted to restore the glory of Persia and the ancient religion of the Persians. And I distanced myself from them.  Because I hated their ocean of lies and like Hafez said: Do not consider the intestinal conflicts of sects for, not having found the truth, they went to the invention

Today I feel great and can argue about our origins with other Azaris. Many of the Azaris I spoke had discovered the Truth too and were glad to say that their ancestors were Cyrus or Dariush and not the Mongols the Turks claim to be their ancestors. Some others didn't want to know. Books about Azaris are indeed very rare and the Iranians don't have written books about us contrary to the Turks.

Today even if I don't hate the Persian anymore (how could I hate my brothers and sisters ?) I am really confused about the fact that they have dropped us in this historical battle. Because I assume they think they have no right to intervene. Something that is totally irresponsable. If others peoples of the Iranian family (be it Lors, Persians, Baluchs, Kurds, Bakhtiaris, Gilakis, etc) don't help us the political agenda of Turkey or the pan-turkists will be achieved.

http://www.iranian.com/Opinion/2005/June/Azari/index.html

Edited by Iranban
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>