Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Industrial Revolution why Uk and not China?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Industrial Revolution why Uk and not China?
    Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 16:46

yes but this thread is about China and England so I assumed we were keeping that restriction on.

As for the Tokugawa system, its not universally regarded as a goodf thing.  Japanese historians still argue endlessly on the Tokugawa systems merits and flaws.

I persoanlly think it was both good and bad, but its major flaw was intentionally cutting off trade and thus freezing the feudal structure in like a time warp for 200 years.  Had Japan stayed open there may have been no need for rapid industrialization or humiliation with foreign powers.

And I wasnt specifically thinking of Ching hos expidition as much as the choas after the death of Zhu Di and the people that came to power after that.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 00:40
Originally posted by Tobodai

yes but this thread is about China and England so I assumed we were keeping that restriction on.

Actually I forgot to mention that Ching went through a liberal phase of Confucianism as well (the New Han Confucian movement and the "Archeology" movement.)  Hence to say that after 1420 Chinese Confucianism turned totally conservative is wrong.

As for the Tokugawa system, its not universally regarded as a goodf thing.  Japanese historians still argue endlessly on the Tokugawa systems merits and flaws.

This is irrelevant, Tobodai.  Let's keep focus here: the question about whether Confucianism was adaptative.  My point was that Japanese Neo-Confucianism, after 1420, shows great ability of adapting to new ideas.  Whether or not the Tokugawa system influenced by Neo-Confucian ideologies was good is irrelevant.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 03:10

Say I were to cede that point, it still is problematic because Japanese Confucianism isnt particularly Confucian.  On the surface they appear so but in practice they are always influenced by either Buddhism or that quaint folk religion of SHinto, not to mention even some of the Christian influences that worked in there.

And even then it got them nowhere, just like in all the rest of the world it was a few great men and some cold steel that got them anywhere.

-Alexander Hamilton
eret View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote eret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 09:53
i do not think the "Patent Rignht" is the first fact .
i think the most important thing is the Confucian
thought. The offical thought think farming is more
important than other industry.
Originally posted by Elanjie

"Patent Right", uk put it into law first in the world.That was a very important encouragement to push the modern economy forward.

while at the same time and even the last two thousand years , the rulers of china did not encourage any improvement on scientific inventions only if that can bring some military advantages.Their ulmost purpose was to keep the tradional agriculture society stable, any progress on new invention would just bring more and more conflicts, for the spirit of human is to pursue more and more profit.

if you do know the chinese spirit and criterion on live,you won't be surprise that the industrial revolution would hardly taken place in ancient china.

Dodododododooooooooojustdoit!
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 15:40

Say I were to cede that point, it still is problematic because Japanese Confucianism isnt particularly Confucian.  On the surface they appear so but in practice they are always influenced by either Buddhism or that quaint folk religion of SHinto, not to mention even some of the Christian influences that worked in there.

But neither is Chinese Confucian "pure Confucianism."  Neo-Confucianism is influenced by Taoism and Buddhism.  That is not to say, however, that Confucianism isn't a key feature in all version of Confucianism and Neo-Confucianism.  Japanese Neo-Confucianism is absolutely not "surface level" alone.  See http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/TOKJAPAN/NEO.HTM[/quote]

Originally posted by tobodai

And even then it got them nowhere, just like in all the rest of the world it was a few great men and some cold steel that got them anywhere.

Irrelevant.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 19:49
ok fine would you rather I blame Chinese culture, racism, and xenophobia itself for backwardness?  That works just as well for me...But you are way into this discussion, the philosophical points were about the last on my long list of reasons why China could not maintain superpower status.  Like anything, geography, natural resources, and political circumstance with a bit of fortune is all more importnat.
-Alexander Hamilton
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 21:50

ok fine would you rather I blame Chinese culture, racism, and xenophobia itself for backwardness?  That works just as well for me...But you are way into this discussion, the philosophical points were about the last on my long list of reasons why China could not maintain superpower status.  Like anything, geography, natural resources, and political circumstance with a bit of fortune is all more importnat.

Two things.

First of all, I'd definitely blame xenophobia.  Other than that I won't blame the victim.  It certainly doesn't make any sense to blame "Chinese culture," as it is not so monolithically subsumed under one particular attitude towards foreigners.  Racism is arguably irrelevant (the concept of race was a foreign import that didn't seem to have taken root in Chinese culture at the time.)

Secondly, the discussion I started about Confucianism is due to only one thing: your comment that Confucius was most blameworthy for holding back cultural progress (I forgot your exact words.)  Thus our little discussion has absolutely nothing about who to blame for the fall of Ching -- it's a tangent discussion, as I have noted.

Mystic View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 22:02
There are simply far too many factors and explanations to be given, I don't it's possible that it could be summed up into one comprehensive answer as someone here already mentioned. Personally I think the High Level Equilibrium Trap argument is interesting which states that non-mechanized industries and methods of production in China were so advanced that it was unprofitable for China to have industrialized.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12