Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super heavy tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super heavy tanks
    Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 05:19

Can anyone tell me anything about them?(please go into detail) and did any of them see action?

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 05:54
Do you mean tank destroyers or what? i know during world war 2 the germans had a tank called Maus that reached prototype stage but the the war finished before it could see any action. I should also say it was too cumbersome by practical reasons and a nightmare by logistical reasons. It had armor as thick as 60 - 240 mm.

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 06:12
Cool. No I'm not talking about tank destroyers

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 06:59
IMO i thought near the end of the war Hitler had some realy "Star wars imperials" idea's about tanks and airplanes he was forcing development of tanks that seemed fearsome because they were huge but in reality were not practical.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 13:37
The Soviet T-35 is considered a Heavy tank but it's very close to what super heavy was considered by the Germans, French, British and Americans before and during WWII.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 13:45
Maus and Maus II (Mouse) would be your best bet. Search on them. I have an Estonian article about them that I read in some place but I won't bother finding it for you. 
Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 10:55

I have this KV-VI images and wanna share.
Operational History
The first prototype was completed in December 1941 and was rushed into the defense of Moscow. In its first action during a dense winter fog, the rear turret accidentally fired into the center turret. The resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The second prototype was completed in January 1942, and was sent to the Leningrad front. This one had indicators installed to show whe another turret was in the line of fire. In its initial attack on the Germans, the tank broke in half when crossing a ravine. A spark ignited the leaking flamethrower fuel and the resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The third prototype, shown here, had a reinforced hull and was also sent to the Leningrad front in early 1942. It did manage to shoot down three German aircraft. In its first ground engagement, the KV-VI was firing on German positions when coincidentally all of the guns fired from the 3 O'Clock position a the same time. The tremendous recoil tipped the tank into a ditch and the severe jostling set off the 152mm ammunition, which completely destroyed the vehicle. After these failures, Stalin cancelled the project, and many of the design team members spent the rest of their lives in the Gulags of Sibera. The KV-VI was nicknamed "Stalin's Orchestra" by the few Germans that encountered it because of the variety of weapons it deployed.

I really wonder that story and image is true or not?

Edited by Giordano - 26-Sep-2008 at 11:07
War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it.
Desiderius Erasmus
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 15:17
^ That is one cool looking contraption!

The AmericanT-28 was a superheavy.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 15:56
The T-28 was a prototype tank destroyer rather than a tank.  It's fixed armament had no barbette and the speed was quite slow.  Its main purpose would have been to provide an armored anti-tank gun for infantry support as it was too slow to keep up with armored formations.

Tanks are cavalry.  Without speed and mobility they are just self propelled infantry support guns.  Things like Stalin's Orchestra may have been design fantasies to try to keep the engineers out of the front line....same with some German wonder weapons.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 16:01
I see your point about the cavalry bit and it is correct. This was a tank destroyer. It's still cool even though such things were specifically forwarned against by our Count in this topic.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 19:08
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Tanks are cavalry.

tanks are not cavalry. horses are cavalry. tanks are armoured vehicles on tracks with guns. tank destoryers are another kind of tank.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Tanks are cavalry.

tanks are not cavalry. horses are cavalry. tanks are armoured vehicles on tracks with guns. tank destoryers are another kind of tank.

Obviously, I think pikeshot meant Tanks were the modern day cavalrymen. Instead of pulling out a single statement and making it seem like he meant it literaly next time quote his whole post.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 05:08
Yea I heard about the Maus it was going to weigh like 120 tons and have like a naval cannon as it's turret 200-300 mm. I wonder if the prototype still survives?
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 05:13
This wasn't a superheavy tank, but the Russian had also developed a flying tank that you could put wings and a temporary propeller on. They were going to be used to rush into Berlin before Germans had warning but I think the program was scrapped because by that time the Russian were alreay a stones throw from Berlin.
Sun Tzu

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

This wasn't a superheavy tank, but the Russian had also developed a flying tank that you could put wings and a temporary propeller on. They were going to be used to rush into Berlin before Germans had warning but I think the program was scrapped because by that time the Russian were alreay a stones throw from Berlin.

The Reds were going to call it "Mighty Maus."  Big%20smile

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 20:13
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Yea I heard about the Maus it was going to weigh like 120 tons and have like a naval cannon as it's turret 200-300 mm. I wonder if the prototype still survives?

The Maus was originally planned to use a 128mm gun the same as the one on the jagdtiger. This would of been eventually replaced by a 150mm gun. The funny thing about this 200 ton project is that its secondary armament would of been a 75mm gun. There is a combonation of the 2 known prototypes in a russian museum somewhere. Though not sure how accurate the combonation is. 
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 01:16
wow so there are prototypes left? thank you for correcting me on on the cannon size after I submitted my reply it did seem a bit farfetched in size. A 300 mm cannon would have crazy recoil and if recoiless probably move the tank.
Sun Tzu

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 19:26
the msueum with the Maus is called Kubinka near Moscow.

Originally posted by Husaria

Obviously, I think pikeshot meant Tanks were the modern day cavalrymen. Instead of pulling out a single statement and making it seem like he meant it literaly next time quote his whole post.

cavalry has no modern day equivalent, just because some modern branches particularly in the US use traditional name for those new branches, like Air Cavalry and Armored Cavalry, doesn't mean they ARE actual cavalry or their sucessor. even Armored Cavalry techncially are not tanks as they have no tracks, they are armoured cars.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 20:07
I didn't mean it that way. What was cavalry used for back in the day? a mobile shockforce using impetuous to turn the tide, i dont see how that role is much different from todays modern tanks. I was saying cavalry isnt the same thing as tanks but fulfills the same role.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 20:18
i completely disagree Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>