Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDay of the German

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Day of the German
    Posted: 20-Dec-2009 at 15:28
Originally posted by beorna

Did I understand it correct, mosquito, that you are from Poland? As far as I know, most Polish or at least a lot were in the Communist Party after the war. So all Polish are responsible for Stalinistic crimes?

Yes, im from Poland. But you definatelly dont know history. Poles are not Germans. Communist party in Poland was always a minority of population. Communist party was brought to Poland on bayonets of the Red Army and needed Red Army to stay in power in Poland. Until 1948 in Poland was civil war, tens of thousands of people fought against communist forces and the Red Army (actually the last partisant was killed in 1963). It was eastern Germany where majority of people were communists, not Poland. Between 1948 and 1989 thousands of people in Poland died fighting communism. And it were Poles who brought communism to an end.

What has a membership in the NSDAP to do with guilt of the war? For some groups of Germans it was necessary to become members, others just wanted to have no problems. There wee a lot of reasons. It was a dictatorship. It was a special situation that led Hitler to the power, it were not the majority of Germans that brought him into power. Of course it were too much, but even all electors of the NSDAP were pure Nazis, racist or somewhat like that. There were different reasons for Germans to give him their voive. You just see the propaganda movies of Goebbels and believe what you see is the truth, but those pictures are propaganda. You blame them, how could they do this. It is easy today to do it, it is easy to blame them, but we know more than they knew. 

Well, no state or goverment can launch such war as Germany did, without the support of population. Look at Italians, they simply didnt want to fight, while Germans fought for their FUHRER to an end.

I don't want to discuss away neither guilty nor any crimes. I just wonder why some people are blaming Nazis or Germans for crimes and inhumanity and are cheering in the same minute about every German, who was killed, massacred or what else.

I know you dont want to discuss the matter of guilt. Its much more comfortable for you to not do it. But in my city and region - Poznan (Posen) it werent any great nazists like Goebels or Himmler who were responsible for mass executions of civilians but normal Germans. Look on my list in one of my previous posts here, one of them was a german priest who for about 10 years before the war was preparing the list of people to kill if Germany will invade Poland. Another was a butcher from Osieczna town and another was a local german aristocrate. It were not high SS officers but normal or as you want to call them - "innocent people".

Edited by Mosquito - 20-Dec-2009 at 16:02
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 05:22
Yes, Poles fought for their freedom against communism, I know. And Germans died because they were against Hitler. The Jews weren't not the first who were send to the KZs, it were Germans, Social Democrates, Communists and others. There were a lot of Democratic and communist politicians imprisoned during the last free election. And the voters went to the election in an climate of fear, because the SA was ruling the streets. people where forced to give a public vote instead of a secret one as usual.

The most Germans didn't want to start war. They remembered back to WWI. You believe Goebbel's propaganda. But it is true, with the victories the support for the war changed. After the defeat in WWI and the unwise behavior of the West but as well caused by nationalistic behavior of Poland, they felt pride of all the victories. And when the luck was gone and the Germans lost mile by mile, there was no other way as to fight on. The Allies wanted an unconditional surrender and it was the fear what Russians and Polish would do if Germany would loose.

I did not say I don't want to discuss guilt, I said I don't want to discuss away the guilty. Of course there were citizens of Posen, normal persons that committed crimes after the german occupation. War makes a lot of normal persons become criminals. i don't know why and I don't want to justify it, but perhaps anti-German behavior of Poles after 1918 could be one reason. and perhaps you know the Bromberg bloody sunday, where Polish murdered on September 3rd about 300 to 1500 German civilians, Nazis spoke of more than 50000, what is probably wrong. There were more than 5000 German civilians and at that time Polish citizens murdered by Poles. Same happened in Posen before. So German murder was sometimes a response for Polish behavior. I don't defend it. That is clear. and I don't want to compare the casualties of each side. But you must see the whole and not just the parts you like.

BTW. Poland occupied the Czech Teschen while Hitler occupated the Sudentenland. There were a lot of wars Poland led after 1918 against its neighbours and especially under Pielsudski they had a anti-German, nationalistic policy. So how innocent was Poland?

Germans committed great crimes during WWII. We apologized for it, we take the responsibility for it, even those who had nothing to do do with it, we have lost great parts of our country, millions of Germans were murdered after the war and expelled, we paid for our crimes. How much more do we have to do? And you? You are still happy about every German who died and are not able to feel mercy.

Edited by beorna - 21-Dec-2009 at 06:04
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 06:59
I think we should step back and remember that the German Empire was much larger than it is today. Enter;the career politicians. At every point the German People and the Country was forced to give up Hugh parts of the country to appease other Countries or to secured an hidden agenda.
It does anger me that know one stood up and demand this be stopped.To demonized one country and the people over other unrelated actions, doesn't seem fair. I know my Grandfather was morally hurt how parts of his historical country was torn apart and sold like items at a local Walmart.My Grandfather was an SS officer.I will not be made to feel ashamed about this; as his was proud of his time in the defense of his country.
Gerry O'Brien
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 07:30
I have ss men in my family too. They were at SS-Div Nord and the Police-Division. They weren't volunteers. One of them died in 43, with the other one I didn't speak about this time, but he was proud too as far as I know. He and especially my aunt are speaking about the time in the good SS in opposite to those SS in the KZs. But this is fiction and not the truth. Both SS mixed their personal, wounded Weapon-SS men were commanded into KZs and people from KZs served in combat units of the SS. Of course SS units fought mostly very brave and felt proud but they were part of a criminal system. It would be better if they reflect with this. But of course to see that one fought for the wrong side is very hard. so they speak about their fair war aside with the Wehrmacht, but there is no fair war at all.

Edited by beorna - 21-Dec-2009 at 07:38
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 08:32
it is interesting what we discuss now. ulrich started with the examples of too much english in the modern German language. :)
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 15:22

So how innocent was Poland?

Aye, old nazi talk coming from Goebels and Hitler, blame Poland for WW2.

Same happened in Posen before.

What happend in Poznan?

they had a anti-German, nationalistic policy

Poor Germans, nobody likes them, all people are nationalistic and poor Germans are their victims.
Before you start talking about nationalistic Poles, maybe read somthing:

"hundred years ago the Polish State was destroyed; now the language and the nation must cease to exist" Bismarck

Edited by Mosquito - 21-Dec-2009 at 15:25
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 00:53
Yes, here it is. that's what I expected. That's the way the usual discussion goes. Say something against Poland and you're a Nazi. I am far away from being a Nazi and if you red my postings you can see that. Nothing of what you blame me I have said.
But I don't wonder, if I read your given links. Unfortunately a lot of that links is incorrect and with an anti-Prussian or anti-German tendacy. But I am sure you don't care about that, cos the only Nationalist here are you.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 03:24

Yes, here it is. that's what I expected. That's the way the usual discussion goes. Say something against Poland and you're a Nazi. I am far away from being a Nazi and if you red my postings you can see that. Nothing of what you blame me I have said.
But I don't wonder, if I read your given links. Unfortunately a lot of that links is incorrect and with an anti-Prussian or anti-German tendacy. But I am sure you don't care about that, cos the only Nationalist here are you.

Im not nationalist at all. But im coming from Greater Poland or Provinz Posen if you like, and we have experienced German nationalism on our own skin, unlike you, who have never experienced Polish nationalism on your own. So before you start talking about bad nationalistic Poles who are so anti-Prussian or anti-German, maybe better think why they are like that? Why in Cracow Poles werent anti-austrian? What was the difference in situation of Poles in the part of Poland controlled by Austria-Hungary and part occupied by Prussia (later Germany)? The funny thing is that inspite all the efforts of goverment, germanisation in Greater Poland completelly failed.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 03:51
And Beorna, you dont know me personally so I tell you, that really im not nationalistic. I got friends in Germany, im myself partly of German origin. If you find the links i gave you biased, i recommend you reading the book "God's Playground: History of Poland", written by Norman Davies, welsh historian. He is not Polish so hard to say that he is nationalistic. In volume II he has described Prussian/ German occupation of Polish territories anected by Prussia in years 1771-1815, from the begining till 1918. As for bombing innocent German civillians during WW2, I have adopted British point of viev, and so far i know the Brits didnt consider it as unneccessary, nor have ever apologised Germans for it.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 05:57
There are two mainstreams about Prussia, the one hates all Prussian, calls it militarian and cruel, the other adores it as a garden of free religion and others. But are partly right and wrong. The Prussian state wasn't nationalistic for long times, you were Prussian if you served the state, unimportant what religion you had or what language you spoke. The most Prussian citizens felt Prussian, so germanisation of wider parts was a result of acculturation and not of pressure and force. Especially Polish groups stood in opposite to the state, but there were a lot of Poles who served the state. This Prussian way changed during the 19th, especially with the uprising Polish nationalism. And it became even more restrictly after 1871. But eg the "Kulturkampf" where Poles suffered was not a nationalistic fight, this fight Bismarck fought against oppositional German groups too. It was just the attempt to destroy enemies of the state.
The attempt to Germanize the Prov. Posen failed by many reasons. But at the same time there was an attempt to Polonizise it too. And after 1918 a lot of Germans moved westwards, sometimes voluntarily sometimes forced by Poles. The German population of these areas was discriminized. That is not Nazi-propaganda.
Long times of German-Polish history have especially from the german side nothing to do with Nationalism. That is just a later and wrong Interpretation.
-
BTW, there are a lot Brits who feel sorry about the bombings, but you could be right, that they never apologized for it according to the British government. I don't want to say something wrong but I think the mayor of Coventry did, but I am not sure. But you can be sure that Germans aplogized for the bombings a several times.
-
Norman Davies is  not from Poland, but his point of view is very much polonophile. He was not alowed to go to stanford univ. cos of an suspected antisemitism. so his books are not independent.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 06:39

Norman Davies is  not from Poland, but his point of view is very much polonophile. He was not alowed to go to stanford univ. cos of an suspected antisemitism. so his books are not independent.

Not really. Norman Davies is a world wide recognised authority in history and the only people who declare him controversial are members of Jewish minority in USA. In the same time he is not considered controversial in Israel. American Jewish minority cant forgive him for writting that Poland was good place for Jews to live and it is the same organisation that sued Sasha Baron Coen for antisemitism but withdrawned the case after got informed that he is a Jew too.

And it has nothing to do with the part of his book dedicated to part of Poland occupied by Prussia and Germany.  And as historian, it is not his fault that he feel more sypmathy to Poland than to Russia or Germany. His works are well written and his sources are always cited.
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 07:47
Originally posted by Mosquito

So how innocent was Poland?

Aye, old nazi talk coming from Goebbels and Hitler, blame Poland for WW2.

Same happened in Posen before.

What happend in Poznan?

[quote]
 they had a anti-German, nationalistic policy

Poor Germans, nobody likes them, all people are nationalistic and poor Germans are their victims.
Before you start talking about nationalistic Poles, maybe read somthing:

"hundred years ago the Polish State was destroyed; now the language and the nation must cease to exist" Bismarck

about 8 or 10 years ago there were several small villages in Poland admitted to killings the local Jews for their continuance trouble making.
Gerry O'Brien
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 08:06
Originally posted by Gerry57

about 8 or 10 years ago there were several small villages in Poland admitted to killings the local Jews for their continuance trouble making.

Aye, the case was well researched and investigated by joined Polish-Israelic commission and historian. Polish President already apologised Jewish nation for it. But it happend in German occupied Poland and was initiated by German authorities. In free Poland 1918-1939 - such things never happend.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 15:13
In1872 per special law, there were new restrictions of the local ond provincial self-administration of the eastern provinces and a school law. In 1873 the clerical responsibility for the school was stopped. In 1874 it followed the "Expatriierungsgesetz", that means that foreign priest can be expelled. In 1885  35.000 Polish und Jews who weren't Prussian citizens were send off, a behavior that was criticized in other parts of the Reich. Bismarck said: „We don't want polish foreigners, we have enough of our own.“ In 1886 it followed a law about German settlement in the provinces Posen and Westpreußen. Polish land should be bought with official money, they gave cheap credits to German settlers and restricted credits to Poles. But polish response was succesful. The prizes of the ground rose very high and a lot of Germans sold their land while Poles did not.  In 1904 the "Feuerstättengesetz" forbid polish Settlers to build houses on new bought land. In 1908 the "Enteignungsgesetz" made it possible to confiscate great polish farms (Großgrundbesitz). But it happened just four times, because even the Prussian administration didn't use it. 
There were also restrictions against the Polish language.It started in 1876 with the "Geschäftssprachengesetz", Polish was not allowed in administration, courts and in school and at least it was forbidden in religion lessons.
all this was part of the "Kulturkampf". It was not special against Poles (Expatriierungsgesetz e.g.). It was against groups Bismarck thought they are enemies of the state.
One can think what he wants about the language policy, but this is common in Europe. It was not allowed for Germans to speak German in Elsaß-Lothringen, even today nearly 70% of the people there want German as first foreign language in school allthough German is the mother language, „La langue de la République est le Français“. Look at Great Britain. Polish was not forbidden, it was banned from the administration and school. And as you can see it started not with the 19th century but with the unification of Germany.

BTW: In free Poland such things never happened!? Only under Pielsudski the Polish Antisemitism was weakened but in other times it was very strong, Jews were mistreated, murdered and there were a lot of restrictions, e.g. Ghetto ławkowe. It was of course not as bad as what the Nazis did, but you shouldn't wash your hands in innocence.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 16:06

Only under Pielsudski the Polish Antisemitism was weakened but in other times it was very strong, Jews were mistreated, murdered and there were a lot of restrictions, e.g. Ghetto ławkowe. It was of course not as bad as what the Nazis did, but you shouldn't wash your hands in innocence.

Poles have their own relations with their Jews. We were talking here about German-Polish relations, not Polish-Jewish. Novadays only relations between American Jews and American Poles are bad, imho due to stupidity of both those groups which to me seems to be very nationalistic and shame bringing to both their original nations. The relations between Poland and Israel are perfect. Many important Jewish politicains are of Polish origin, including many prime ministers of Israel. After WW2 Israel offered commandship of its army to Polish general Wladislaw Anders (who refused saying that is not a mercenary). It was even considered to create Jewish Legion in the Polish army and general Anders supported it but idea failed after Polish authorities in London didnt agree for it (due to preasure of Jewish "Bund" organisation and the British who didnt want to have any armed Jewish forces in Palestine).

Many generals of Israel's army were ex Polish soldiers, during wars against arabs they were more often talking Polish on radio than other languages. When I was in Israel with my parents, we have met people who were Polish Jews and they gave us extremly warm welcome and treated us almost with honours.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 16:17

In free Poland 1918-1939 - such things never happend.
It was you who said this and I showed you that your statement was wrong. You are telling fairy tales.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 16:28

In free Poland 1918-1939 - such things never happend.
It was you who said this and I showed you that your statement was wrong. You are telling fairy tales.

No, you didnt show that I wasnt right. What you know about massmurders of Jews in period 1918-1939 in Poland?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 16:31

In1872 per special law, there were new restrictions of the local ond provincial self-administration of the eastern provinces and a school law. In 1873 the clerical responsibility for the school was stopped. In 1874 it followed the "Expatriierungsgesetz", that means that foreign priest can be expelled. In 1885  35.000 Polish und Jews who weren't Prussian citizens were send off, a behavior that was criticized in other parts of the Reich. Bismarck said: „We don't want polish foreigners, we have enough of our own.“ In 1886 it followed a law about German settlement in the provinces Posen and Westpreußen. Polish land should be bought with official money, they gave cheap credits to German settlers and restricted credits to Poles. But polish response was succesful. The prizes of the ground rose very high and a lot of Germans sold their land while Poles did not.  In 1904 the "Feuerstättengesetz" forbid polish Settlers to build houses on new bought land. In 1908 the "Enteignungsgesetz" made it possible to confiscate great polish farms (Großgrundbesitz). But it happened just four times, because even the Prussian administration didn't use it. 
There were also restrictions against the Polish language.It started in 1876 with the "Geschäftssprachengesetz", Polish was not allowed in administration, courts and in school and at least it was forbidden in religion lessons.
all this was part of the "Kulturkampf".

I apreciate that you made an effort to investigate it.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 16:36
History of Jews in Poland

During the Kosciuszko Insurrection and wars against Tsarist Russia in 1794 Jews supported the uprising either in auxiliary services or in arms. For example they took part in the April revolution in Warsaw where many of them perished. After the Russian army was repulsed from Warsaw the idea was born to create a separate military unit composed of Jewish volunteers. This idea was backed by the commander in chief of the Insurrection, Tadeusz Kosciuszko. "Nothing can convince more the far away nations about the holiness of our cause and the justness of the present revolution," he wrote in a Statement on the Formation of a Regiment of Jews, "than that, though separated from us by their religion and customs, they sacrifice their own lives of their own free will in order to support the uprising." The Jewish regiment under Colonel Berek Josielewicz took part in the fighting during the storming of the Praga district of Warsaw by Tsarist troops on 4 November 1794. With the blood shed in this war they documented the loyalty of the Jewish population to the cause of the revolution and the slogans it upheld-equality and fraternity.

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 16:45
Who spoke about mass murder during 1918 and 39?
Perhaps you search for e.g. Ghetto ławkowe. And if you have found it, perhaps you can find more about Jewish Discrimination in Poland

Jewish citizens fought bravely for Germany in WWI and were even honored for it. Does that mean there was no Antisemitism in Germany, no holocaust? So what does it mean for Polish Antisemitism if Jews fought for Poland?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>