Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China vs US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China vs US
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 03:45

that would depend on where the war is fought.

if it's in chinese coastal area, the us air force and navy will get wiped out because they are within the range of chinese m class mid range missiles.

plus, the chinese have the ability to sink the us aircraft carrier combatant groups with its Sovremenny class destroyers and land-based cruise missiles.

if an all scale traditional war is to be carried out, the us will have to be willing to sacrafice the highest causualty ever in history plus a complete destruction of its pacific fleet.

the Chinese kilo class attack submarine also has identical performance with superior silencing ability to the us's los angeles class attack submarine.

if a nuclear war is to be carried out, both countries will get wiped out.

and no, you cannot possibly destroy all nuclear second strike ability of any nuclear nation. it's not militarily possible. it's also militarily impossible to shoot down all incoming icbms from space. icbms enter the space before they touch down again. not even nmd nor tmd can shoot down all imcoming icbms. not to mention icbms are extremely hard to shoot down because they attack from the space, they can have muilti icbms at the same time. only 1 out of 3 can be shot down.

military is more complicated than many of you think here.

chinese sea based icbms also put the entire united states within their range.

the us cannot win a war against china. neither can china. if these two countries fight, no one wins and the whole world loses because china, although is still relatively less powerful than the us in military, has at least enough power to wipe out a large portion of the us population even in traditional warfare. the same goes for the us. the us causualty will be for sure higher than ww2.

www.sinodefence.com

for any further information, there is a forum as well. search for sinodefence forum. military folks there are more professional when discussing about military than history folks here.

just a simple fundamental military concept for history folks here: there isn't always a winner in a war. a modern conflict between any two major powers is a lose-lose situation that everybody loses militarily and economically.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 06:22
Originally posted by coolstorm

that would depend on where the war is fought.

if it's in chinese coastal area, the us air force and navy will get wiped out because they are within the range of chinese m class mid range missiles.

plus, the chinese have the ability to sink the us aircraft carrier combatant groups with its Sovremenny class destroyers and land-based cruise missiles.

This was the Soviet navy's solution to destroying America's carrier groups. I think that this is easier said than done. Carrier groups have between 5 to 7 AGEIS crusiers and destoryers which are dedicated anti-missle platforms designed specifically to counter the Soviet strategy, which seems to have called for massed attacks with around 100 missiles! Before that the missles would also have to get through several evelopes of fighter defence F-14s and F-18s which would be desperatly trying to shoot them down. And even before that the Sovremenny would have to get into range of the Carrier group without being spotted and sunk by attack aircraft, guided missles or submarines, no simple feat. 

the Chinese kilo class attack submarine also has identical performance with superior silencing ability to the us's los angeles class attack submarine.

That is rathera bit of an exageration my friend. First of all flight3 Los Angles subs are easily the best attack submarines ever built. They are much quieter, even when moving at reletivly high speed, than Kilo submarines which are in fact only quiet when they are not moving at all. Their top speed is in between 30-40 knots submerged making it easily twice as fast as the Kilo, and their normal operating depth is around 300 meters, at least 50 meters more than the Kilo.  Their computer and sonar technology are still years ahead of the best Chinese or Russian technology. American submarine training is of much higher quality than China's, which for the most part uses Russian advisors in their training regemin, having not yet developed any homegrown experiance with submarine warfare. Lastly China is operating 4 Kilos and will supposedly have another 8 by around 2008. The US operates around 60 Los Angeles subs and has been building next-generation Seawolf and Virgina class subs steadily for the last decade (remember that the Los Angeles class is a 30 year old design).

if a nuclear war is to be carried out, both countries will get wiped out.

I agree. There is no winning a nuclear war.

chinese sea based icbms also put the entire united states within their range.

It would take an act of God to get a Chinese Xia SSBN with in range of the U.S. Thats all there is to be said really.

Edited by Idanthyrus
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 09:23

Nuclear wars don't necessarily means startegic nukes. Depleted uranium rounds have liberally been used in Iraq. Also countries have vast supplies of tactical nukes.

I still believe it impossible for the US to invade China. A D-Day type operation across the Pacific is unfeasible. It would take the US years and years to build the shipping capacity and arms. In the meantime China would quickly aquire the capacity to assemble mig-29's to meet them. The only air the US would have is what they could bring on their carriers. As for US carrier groups, one tactical nuke is all it would take, no stopping that with all the AEGIS in the world.

Then there would be the problem of maintaining a supplyline across the orld's largest ocean.

Their would be a winner, Europe and Russia who would gladly accept the gift of the US and Chinese economies in exchange for arms.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 12:14

If China used tactical nukes there would not be much stopping it from escalating to a full scale nuclear war. I dont really belive that there is such thing as a "limited" nuclear war, it is far more likely to be all or nothing.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 15:13
I think nukes are out of the question, a China -US war would be like th eKorean war, limited scale, political boundaries, geographic zone of conflict.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 15:18

That is rathera bit of an exageration my friend. First of all flight3 Los Angles subs are easily the best attack submarines ever built. They are much quieter, even when moving at reletivly high speed, than Kilo submarines which are in fact only quiet when they are not moving at all. Their top speed is in between 30-40 knots submerged making it easily twice as fast as the Kilo, and their normal operating depth is around 300 meters, at least 50 meters more than the Kilo.  Their computer and sonar technology are still years ahead of the best Chinese or Russian technology. American submarine training is of much higher quality than China's, which for the most part uses Russian advisors in their training regemin, having not yet developed any homegrown experiance with submarine warfare. Lastly China is operating 4 Kilos and will supposedly have another 8 by around 2008. The US operates around 60 Los Angeles subs and has been building next-generation Seawolf and Virgina class subs steadily for the last decade (remember that the Los Angeles class is a 30 year old design).

the reason why la class has an inferior silencing ability is the same for why all other nuclear powered attack submarines have an inferior silencing ability:

nuclear powered submarines have worse silencing performances than desel powered submarines. in which case, the chinese song class nuclear powered submarines are also inferior to kilo class in silencing.

It would take an act of God to get a Chinese Xia SSBN with in range of the U.S. Thats all there is to be said really.

a new generation of 094 ssbn class is expected to enter service from 2004-2006. i wasn't referring to the xia class. beside that, a new generation chinese 093 nuclear powered ssb is also entering service in 2006. the new generation yuan class has already entered service, and no one knew about its development and existence before it was announced. china is also planning to purchase another patch of 15 kilos of the most advanced version that had previously not been exported to other countries except china.

I still believe it impossible for the US to invade China. A D-Day type operation across the Pacific is unfeasible. It would take the US years and years to build the shipping capacity and arms. In the meantime China would quickly aquire the capacity to assemble mig-29's to meet them. The only air the US would have is what they could bring on their carriers. As for US carrier groups, one tactical nuke is all it would take, no stopping that with all the AEGIS in the world.

china does not have mig 29. they refused to purchase them from russia in the early 90's. instead, they chose the superior and more expensive su27. now they are mostly relying on su27, and su30 and are expecting to purchase more su30 and su35 from russia. the russian new fifth generation fighter will also be a co-development project with china.

I think nukes are out of the question, a China -US war would be like th eKorean war, limited scale, political boundaries, geographic zone of conflict.

you cannot use the korean war of the 50's to evluate a future war. any modern wars between major powers can easily turn nuclear. even a traditional one will create a lot more destruction than any wars fought in human history. plus, the only way to avoid from a nuclear attack is to fight with someone without nukes. back in the 50's, china didn't have nukes. but now they even have icbms that can arrive in the us in 20 mins.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 15:30
yes and all the more reason not to engage in total war.  in the modern world I see less and less not more reasons for anyone to engage in total war. We have a globalized economy now, th enuking of even an enemy country could cause a shockwave of econimic misfortune across the world, adversely affecting even the enemy nations of the nuked country.  No one will engage in this type of war unless they absolutely have to.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 16:28

The US has the better military so it would probably win

But China has enough nuclear missiles to badly damage the US ecomony
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Riain View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Riain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 15:52

China has only a few nukes which can hit the US directly, these would be the first targets of the US in a total war. But these wars are are thing of the past, limited wars are more appropriate for all comers these days.

I think the most important thing to look at is numbers and exchange rates of key weapons and force mulitpliers. With regard to sattleites, survielence planes and support such as tankers and strategic airlift/sealift the US has everything and China has nothing. While I am a big fan of Russian stuff china doesn't have the numbers to seriously affect US offensives, a few desroyers and kilos won't be able to destroy 6 carriers and dozens of nuke subs. Similarly the Sukhois won't be be able to counter stealth planes, let alone outnumbered by teen series planes which are backed to the hilt by tankers, AWACS etc. On the ground the US ground forces could have dominance on whatever piece of local ground they decided to fight on. The US has dozens of ways to attack China directly whereas China's ability to attack the US are highly limited.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:22

the reason why la class has an inferior silencing ability is the same for why all other nuclear powered attack submarines have an inferior silencing ability:

nuclear powered submarines have worse silencing performances than desel powered submarines. in which case, the chinese song class nuclear powered submarines are also inferior to kilo class in silencing.

The early LA class subs had noisey reactor pumps, but this was solved reletivly quickly. While the Kilo class subs are certainly a credit to the Chinese navy, Los Angles submarines are still easily quieter than Kilo submarines.

a new generation of 094 ssbn class is expected to enter service from 2004-2006. i wasn't referring to the xia class. beside that, a new generation chinese 093 nuclear powered ssb is also entering service in 2006. the new generation yuan class has already entered service, and no one knew about its development and existence before it was announced. china is also planning to purchase another patch of 15 kilos of the most advanced version that had previously not been exported to other countries except china.

According to Sinodefence these new classes of subs probably wont see active service for at least a decade:

"A new design Type 094 nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN) has been planned and is expected to begin production between 2003~2005. "

"Plans to deploy this class of nuclear powered SSBNs are said to have been delayed due to problems with the nuclear reactor power plants. As of late 1999 there is an evident absence of public reports of the start of construction of the Type 094 submarine. Several years would be required for submarine construction, and probably an additional year or two for shake-down trials of the submarine, and testing of the JL-2 from the submarine."

If we want to speculate about weapon systems a decade into the future, it would be interesting to see what new developments that will have been in the U.S. Armed forces by that time.

Edited by Idanthyrus
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 22:09

According to Sinodefence these new classes of subs probably wont see active service for at least a decade:

"A new design Type 094 nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN) has been planned and is expected to begin production between 2003~2005. "

"Plans to deploy this class of nuclear powered SSBNs are said to have been delayed due to problems with the nuclear reactor power plants. As of late 1999 there is an evident absence of public reports of the start of construction of the Type 094 submarine. Several years would be required for submarine construction, and probably an additional year or two for shake-down trials of the submarine, and testing of the JL-2 from the submarine."

If we want to speculate about weapon systems a decade into the future, it would be interesting to see what new developments that will have been in the U.S. Armed forces by that time.

that website is not official afterall. go to the forum of sinodefence, the new 094 and 093 were deployed recently with spy photos. they didn't know about the yuen class until it was deployed as well.

you can go online and search for a physical photo of 093 new generation neclear attack ssb.

���DZj�~�� ��������
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 22:23
Originally posted by Idanthyrus

I'm thinking, and hoping, that by that time we'll have rail guns...

Riain View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Riain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 01:23
Will the new Chinese sub be able to sink a dozen US subs? I doubt it. The reason Western forces are so good isn't their numbers of sexy stuff but their numbers of grunt stuff like tankers, airlifters, AEW&Cs. How many of these things does China have? Less than Britian I bet.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 05:47

definitely more than britain and australia combined.

the us and russia are the only naval forces that i consider good. the rest of western countries are all not so good. a us general once said the us has the ability to destroy all the naval forces of western and eastern europes plus australia.

China has the second largest military budget in the world. from your writing, I have a feeling that you think they've been spending all that money on gambling.

PLA Navy Inventories:

DDGs Total 29+2=31 ships

2X 056E Sovremenny II Class DDG, 8000-10000 tons
2X 052C Ageis airdefence DDG, 6000-8000 tons
2X 052B DDG (in service), 6000-8000 tons
2X 956 Sovremenny Class DDG, 8000 tons
1X 051B Luhai Class DDG, 6000 tons (in service)
2X 051C DDG (under construction) ---- Newly Added (MK20254EVER)
2X 052 Luhu Class DDG, 4200 tons (in service)
6X 051G Luda III/V (refited) Class DDG, 3500 tons (in service)
9X 051 Luda I/II Class DDG, 3200 tons (in service)

FFGs Total 48 ships

4X 054 FFG, 4000 tons
10X 053H3 Jiangwei II Class FFG, 2500 tons
4X 053H2G Jiangwei Class FFG, 2500 tons
6X 053H1G Jianghu V Class FFG, 1600 tons
3X 053H2 Jianghu III Class FFG, 2000 tons
23X 053H/H1/HT-H Jianghu I/II/IV Class FFG, 1700 tons

SSN/SSBNs At least 8 ships

1X Project 094 SSBN (to be commissioned)
1X Project 093 SSN (to be commissioned)
1-3?X 092 Xia Class SSBN, 6500 tons dived
5X Han Class SSN, 5500 tons dived

SSKs At least 67 ships

12X Project 636 Improved Kilo Class SSK
4X 877EKM Kilo Class SSK, 3000 tons dived
2X Yuan Class SSK ---- Newly Added (MK20254EVER)
5X 039 Song Class SSK, 2200 tons dived
19X 035 Ming Class SSK, 2100 tons dived
23/8(reserve)X Project 033 Remeo Class SSK, 1800 tons dived

Landing Crafts Around 400 ships

3+X 072 III Large LST,
6X 072 II Yuting Class Large LST, 3480 tons
7X 072 Yukan Class Large LST, 3100 tons
300+X 271 Utility LST
10X 068/069 Yuqing class Utility LST, 60 tons
40X 067 Yunan Class Utility LST, 130 tons
30X Type 724 Air Cushion Landing Craft, 6.35 tons
1X Type 722-II Air Cushion Landing Craft 78 tons

Littoral Ships Around around 340 ships

5X Houjian Class (Type 520T) Missile Attack Boat, 520 tons
14X Houxin Class (Type 037-II) Missile Attack Boat, 478 tons
60X Huangfeng Class (Type 021) Missile Attack Boat, 205 tons
Small number in reserve service X Houku Class Missile Attack Boat, 69 tons
17X Haiqing Class (Type 037-I/ID) Subchaser, 478 tons
90X Hainan Class (Type 037) Subchaser, 430 tons
110X Shanghai-II Class (Type 062) Gun Patrol Boat, 134.8 tons
Small number in training service X Huchuan Class Torpedo Boat, 46 tons
1X Wolei Class (Type 918) Minelayer, 2,300 tons
40X T-43 Fleet Minesweeper, 590 tons
1X Wosao Class (Type 082) Coastal Minesweeper, 320 tons

AirCrafts (too hard to keep trace of numbers, just gonna list the planes)

JH-7/FBC-1 JH-7 Fighter-Bomber
H-6D Anti-Ship Missile Bomber
SU-30MKK2
H-6DU AA Tankers
J-8II(many varients)
J-7(many varients)
Q-5
Z-9C Ship Born Anti-Sub Chopper
Ka-28/32 Ship Born Anti-Sub Chopper
SA 321Ja 'Super Frelon' / Z-8 Naval Helicopter

This post has been edited by UD2 on Nov 23 2003, 10:02 AM

http://pakistanidefence.ipbhost.com/index....showtopic=22115

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
user posted image 

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
Riain View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Riain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 16:18

I was talking Airforce, but I can talk navy. Australia currently has 6 ffg and 8 ffh in service or in the slipway, supported by 2 fleet oilers, that's 7 fighting ships per oiler. We have no 'makewieght' ships, all of our can be fitted to go into harms way, such as Iraq. In addition I can add ships which aren't yet built, 3-4 ageis destroyers, as you have for china. Does China have 10-11 fleet oilers? Can all of those ships be sent anywhere?

For airforces britain has 7 AWACS and 22(ish) tactical and 9 strategic tankers, this is certainly more than China operates for an iarfoce of many less combat aircraft. China sems to spend its money on fighters and other sexy stuff at the expense of these vital force mulitpliers, which are easily worth many fighters. The USAF has 34 AWACS and 400+ tankers, this doesn't include what the USN has.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 00:21

In addition I can add ships which aren't yet built, 3-4 ageis destroyers, as you have for china. Does China have 10-11 fleet oilers? Can all of those ships be sent anywhere?

they were already built. you can find the pictures online. they were deployed in 2004.

user posted image

user posted image

"Meanwhile, China is also the first country to obtain naval RIF SAM". He stressed that with the rapid progress in military technologies, the overall technological standard of Russia's export arms to China will rise even further."
from Kanwa: http://www.kanwa.com/free/2004/05/e0504%20956EM.htm

user posted image

user posted image

As for the airforce, China owns some 300 different variants of SU35MK, SU27 (several variants), J10, FC7, and some 3000 older models of J8 (many variants), J7 (many variants) and some other planes such as bombers etc.

The number of advanced air superiority fighters athough only accounts for 10 percent (300) of the total inventories, i believe they are already more than most countries including australia.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 00:26
I like the lines on 525, thats a good looking boat.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 00:34

i like this one:

���DZj�~�� ��������
Riain View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Riain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 15:54
The ships you show would be at best a match for the ships of the USN, as the fighters are a match for the current US inventory. But you cannot divorce US destroyers and fighters from the rest of the USAF and USN the way you can with China. US destroyers are teamed with carriers, P3s and subs to provide a whole capability. Similarly the USAF fighters are teamed with heavy bombers, AWACS, Tankers to provide an air blanket. Added to this is the sattelites which provide overall assistance to US forces. What would the chinese fighters do? Provide aircover that their destroyers need to survive, defend against attacks from tactical aircraft, defend against deep strikes from heavy bombers, provide airsupport to engaged ground troops? I doubt they can all of these things properly, so sacrifices will have to be made.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 00:47

what you said would hold if the war were fought near the us.

if the war were fought in china's coastal area such as any region near taiwan, the land-based m class mid range missiles and cruise missiles would cause serious trouble to the us aircraft combatants.

the chinese mainland would be an unsinkable super aircraft carrier with superior air defence to any ship-based air defense systems.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>