Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek or Cypriot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek or Cypriot
    Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 14:50
This also reminds Bulgarian tradition of Kukeri -- masks, bells and and goat (or sheep) skin on 1st of Jan and close to the beginning of Spring.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 16:30
Well, southern Thrace is know to have a great pagan tradition, even during late christian years (e.g the firewalkers that were initially holding icons to avoid getting negative attention). Generally, the Bacchic traditions are probably those that were not possible to erase from the populations, simply because it was a period where people were having fun, no matter how religious they were.

Btw, do you have any forms of traditional carneval during xmas and new year in Bulgaria?

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 10:28
This one (Kukeri) takes place on 1st of January and on Zagovezni (the period just before Lent) as far as I remember.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 21:22
I don't know how this kind of songs are listened by a non-Greek's ear(I'd like to know),but if I had to choose for the most "representative sample" of Greek music(mainland Greece) I think its this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a93KDUqHaFw&feature=related .

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 23:07
That is typical mountainous mainland music.

You will however encounter similar stuff all over the balkans, that's why i believe the Islanders are the most original. They could not influence or get influenced.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12