Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexican Revolution and its impact on modern Mexico

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican Revolution and its impact on modern Mexico
    Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 10:05
Yesteray, I bought an Osprey illustrated book about the "Mexican Revolution".

Unlike the French, American, and Russian revolutions or the Spanish Civil War, the Mexican Revolution wasn't an organized revolt against an existing regime, but a series of violent political and social confrontations that overthrew the order established by the regime of Diaz.
The most famous heroes of the revolution were no doubt Pancho Villa and Emilio Zapata; who were praised by some as heroes and condemned by others as brigands.

I have a few questions here:
- was there any intellectual and ideological movement behind the Mexican Revolution, like Marxism in the Russian Revolution or Anarcho-syndicalism in the Spanish Civil War?
- did the end of the revolution lead to any drastic changes in Mexican society? Such as the land rights, the status of the indigenous people, women's independence etc? Or was post-revolution Mexican society pretty much the same as it was before?
- how, in general, has the revolution contributed to the formation of Mexican society today.

For all that I know, Mexico is still a society with deep class divisions and a huge inequality between rich and poor. Are the rich people today mostly descended from the pre-revolution upper class? Or are many of them descandants of former revolutionaries who became rich and powerful?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 19:29
Here is a quick answer to that. I am sure that Mixcoatl and Jalisco Lancer can fill in a lot more of the information.

Was there an intellectual and ideological movement behind the revolution? The truest answer, for the Revolution as a whole is 'no.'

Now for the complex answer. The Mexican Revolution occurred over a series of stages, each sparked by different events. Different factions had different ideological support for their causes, and some of these mutated as the Revolution evolved.

During the actual conflicts, the main argument used to defend the Revolutionary causes were mainly the defense of the 1857 constitution and the respect of the no-reelection principle. Some leaders championed some popular causes, but they were not important outside of the area of influence of the leader.

After the Revolution, though, an ideology about the Mexican Revolution did emerge. This is/was (I don't know if they have changed the textbooks in Mexico since I left). This one said that the Revolution was a popular uprising fought against the dictator and its foreign supporters who controlled key Mexican industries. That the war was fought for agrarian reform and to improve the lives of regular people. This was going to be the main ideology of Mexico until the late 1980s.

Maybe others can tackle the other questions
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 21:18
Without running to the library, I would agree with hugo that constitutional government and agrarian reform were the main issues.  The legal seems to overshadow the ideological here.  Anti-clerical policies of the "Constitutional" government led to troubles in the 1920s.

The various phases of the Revolution were convoluted, the loyalties changeable, and the prominent leadership of virtually every major faction wound up being assassinated.*  I think President Obregon was shot by an angry Catholic in 1929(?).

There was some reform of land ownership, but the Indians, who supported the Constitutionalists on that and fought for them, were pretty much left out in the cold.  Maybe hugo can address the tie-in with the Church and land reform.

By the 1930s, Mexico was relatively stable, and the one party system.....whatever the PRI called itself then....seemed to work there for quite some time.  That causes its own problems of course.  There are always elites who want more, much more, than anyone else.  If you don't have opposition, you can do what you want.

*(Edit) Except V. Huerta.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 05-Sep-2008 at 22:51
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 21:58
Originally posted by calvo

Unlike the French, American, and Russian revolutions or the Spanish Civil War, the Mexican Revolution wasn't an organized revolt against an existing regime, but a series of violent political and social confrontations that overthrew the order established by the regime of Diaz.

what american revolution?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 22:48
Originally posted by Temujin

Tongue  Well there is another thread all its own.  There really was no American Revolution in my book.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 03:47
The anti-clerical positions was part of the package deal that being a supporter of being a liberal / Constitutionalist. As far as I know, this wasn't really a position that figured prominently during the first 10 years of the revolution.

Although there have been liberal elements in the Church in Mexico, enough to call it a tradition, the vast majority of the priests were and are pretty conservative. Once Obregon got into power, one of the goals of his administration, and that of Calles, was to enforce the full of the constitution. The 1917 constitution had a few anticlerical laws in it, including the exclusion of priest from participating or influencing politics, taking the property of the church, and forbidding it from running schools, and liberty of conscience, and forbidding public religious ceremonies. I believe that there was also a law that stated that all priests in Mexico had to be approved by the Mexican government.

Of all of these, the ones that the Church resented the most were the loss of property and the sudden thrust of the government into the affairs of the church.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 06:54
Originally posted by Temujin

I meant the American independence
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 20:04
i see. why's that called a revolution though?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 13:17
I don't know. That is the standard name for the war in the U.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply