Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Surviving Mesoamercan Civilization?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Surviving Mesoamercan Civilization?
    Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 03:06
Does anyone think it's possible that a Mesoaemrican civilization survived the conquistadores and fled to some remote location like deep in the amazon? and are still there today?.Smile  

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 03:11
Mesoamerican civilization survived the conquistadores and still is alive in Mexico!
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 04:20
I mean one that still speak's their native language and has pyramid's and all that jazz

Ninurta View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ninurta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 05:29
Wouldn't a pyramid be visible from aerial photography?
Mercury_Dawn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 05:31
sure, why not. I'm sure it was their chief concern when facing of with encroaching Spanish populations.... to travel into the tropics on another continent and 'build' a pyramid where the Spanish were sure to never, ever go. There's nothing easier to do! 
Mythica View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Mythica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 11:08
I was under the impression that we were already aware of the existance of isolated tribes in South America? They may not have pyramids or a huge population and but there are tribes all over the world that either have never been contacted by the outside world or have only recently been contacted.

Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

The photos are being used to prove the tribe's existence
Image: Gleison Miranda, Funai

One of South America's few remaining uncontacted indigenous tribes has been spotted and photographed on the border between Brazil and Peru.

The Brazilian government says it took the images to prove the tribe exists and help protect its land.

The pictures, taken from an aeroplane, show red-painted tribe members brandishing bows and arrows.

More than half the world's 100 uncontacted tribes live in Brazil or Peru, Survival International says.

Stephen Corry, the director of the group - which supports tribal people around the world - said such tribes would "soon be made extinct" if their land was not protected.

'Monumental crime'

Survival International says that although this particular group is increasing in number, others in the area are at risk from illegal logging.

Uncontacted%20tribe%20near%20Brazil-Peru%20border

The photos were taken during several flights over one of the most remote parts of the Amazon rainforest in Brazil's Acre region.

They show tribe members outside thatched huts, surrounded by the dense jungle, pointing bows and arrows up at the camera.

"We did the overflight to show their houses, to show they are there, to show they exist," the group quoted Jose Carlos dos Reis Meirelles Junior, an official in the Brazilian government's Indian affairs department, as saying.

"This is very important because there are some who doubt their existence."

He described the threats to such tribes and their land as "a monumental crime against the natural world" and "further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilised' ones, treat the world".

Disease is also a risk, as members of tribal groups that have been contacted in the past have died of illnesses that they have no defence against, ranging from chicken pox to the common cold.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 14:18
Yes, there are people who survived and speak Nahuatl in Mexico. Although I would probably call that a surviving culture, not a civilization.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 16:38
That's not what I'm talking about I mean seriuosly could there be a surviving civilization meosamerican civilization?. And you don't have to build a pyramid right offLOL, just after you get settled in, assuming of ocurse they owuld still belive in their god's after the conquistadores took over the migth decide to worship the God of the conquistadores instead

Mercury_Dawn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 08:07
No, I don't think they they had anywhere to run to, Mesoamerica was quickly surrounded by shipping lanes and ports on both the Caribbean and the Pacific side, and missionaries, explorers, and prospectors might not of combed ever inch, but surely every grid on the map, and divided the fast majority of those up a few times.

Look at it this way, most Mao-Marxist guerrilla movements look for a isolated base to build up their operations.... and most of these movements have been wiped out over the years, or beaten badly enough to rejoin mainstream politics. I would google earth the places where they HAVE lasted the longest, and develope a formula of terrain analysis as to why they had, and then focus on the southern or northern corridors the refugees would of likely of traveled, and then do a serious google earth sweep of that location to find your parallels.... I seriously doubt they canoed somewhere else on the Caribbean side. Also linguistic census, the locals would of picked up some of their lingo lingo by now, and I'm certain someone would of noticed the irregularities  of the south to north movement of the most primitive language groups to the most modern with one glaring exception by now.

Edited by Mercury_Dawn - 05-Sep-2008 at 08:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 17:33
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Does anyone think it's possible that a Mesoaemrican civilization survived the conquistadores and fled to some remote location like deep in the amazon? and are still there today?.Smile  

Mesoamerica consists of Southern and Central Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador and parts of Honduras and Nicaragua. The Amazon is 1000s of kilometres away, so I don't think you'll find any Mesoamericans there.
 Post Reply Post Reply