Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arm race

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arm race
    Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 22:35
Can you name countries which have arm race and spend millions of dollars for this purpose?
I can think of following countries
1. US with Russia and China
2. India with Pakistan
3. Turkey with Greece
4. South Korea with North Korea
5. India with China
6. Azerbaijan with ArmeniaSleepy

Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 22:59
In all cases a fine way to use tax money without the public complaining, to make arm dealers and politicians filthy rich
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 02:03
The most disturbing arm expenditure I know of is going underneath my arms and has been for years now. The amount of dollars spent on Old Spice deodorant alone would favorably tilt the scale for any one of those countries military purchases.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 13:32
Originally posted by Vorian

In all cases a fine way to use tax money without the public complaining, to make arm dealers and politicians filthy rich

Though I agree with you that military spending is the easiest way for politicians and arms delaers to get filthy rich, I disagree that the public doesn't complain.
In Greece we ALWAYS say that we spend too much on the military, while the military is the brink of collapse because of the underfunding (and I'm not kidding).

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
HOMERS HAND View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 12:03
well im not complaining about taxes in canada but its getting to the point where my smokes are getting to exensive like u have to be a millionaire just to get a pack but i do want the military to exspand into more weapons and missles but with the outragous prices on the with the arms market we have its just taking to big of a chunk out of our country like with trades from here to kerea and japan its getting hard and our trades with the usa are getting over priced to and harder to hide if u know what i meanhow can the military hide when our taxes raze to a higher double digit
love is but one of the paths we cross
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 14:31
Bulletin!!

There exists no "arms race" today! The USA won the "race" many years ago! Ergo, the fall of the Soviet Union due to its failure to be able to expend enough money to compete with the USA and President Reagan!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 16:56
Originally posted by opuslola

There exists no "arms race" today! The USA won the "race" many years ago! Ergo, the fall of the Soviet Union due to its failure to be able to expend enough money to compete with the USA and President Reagan!
True, but a new and rising generation of nation's have entered the races. They just dont have enough recesources (yet) to race on a global scale.

Some of the new races are:
India vs China and China vs Japan and Taiwan, South Korea vs Japan (secondary race), Australia vs Indonesia, Malaysia and other imaginary threats. 

Also Russia is going to re arm.  Though they may not compete on a global scale, they are determined that there will never be another Kosovo fiasco.

Edited by Cryptic - 01-Oct-2009 at 16:57
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 17:35
Also Russia is going to re arm. Though they may not compete on a global scale, they are determined that there will never be another Kosovo fiasco.

While not entirely sure of what Kosovo fiasco you mean, I would assume it was the intervention of W. J. Clinton that you speak of? But, in reality, the only fiasco in the Balkans, is that they all hate each other for either their language, race, religion, ethnic backgound, etc. It has, unfortunately been going on for hundreds of years if you believe in the currently accepted chronology!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 18:34
Originally posted by opuslola

While not entirely sure of what Kosovo fiasco you mean, I would assume it was the intervention of W. J. Clinton that you speak of? 

Yes, that is the one. Please understand the fiasco from the Russian point of view. Serbia, historic Russian political / cultural / religous ally was bullied into surrendering territory that they had held for generations while bankrupt and militarily impotent Russia could do nothing.

The humiliation was intense for Russia. Give Russia a few more years to re arm and a Kosovo like fiasco will not happen again (at least not with out alot of fight).  Look what happened when NATO announced that Georgia was going to join soon.

Edited by Cryptic - 02-Oct-2009 at 06:03
 Post Reply Post Reply