Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cuisines of the steppe peoples

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cuisines of the steppe peoples
    Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 01:05
Actually the Saka (Scythians) specialized in sea foods and rich fish sauces. I will try to find the references (I believe it was Herodotus who devulged on their dietary habits). 
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 10:38

Please; we're not talking about names. The Turkmen word "Ekmek" exists in Turkish too, but they refer to two different things. Could you please tell me about Turkish and Azeri Katlama?

"Pyshme" is not "fried dough". If "fried dough" is the definition for "Pyshme", Iranians make this too. What's more, "Börek" is also a "fried dough" then. Do you have any picture of Turkish "Pishi", please?

Anyhow, what does "Pishi" mean in Turkish? I just wonder, since it's not from the same root "Pyshme" comes from - if you mean a similarity in name. 

Edited by gok_toruk - 06-Sep-2008 at 11:00
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by Afghanan

Actually the Saka (Scythians) specialized in sea foods and rich fish sauces. I will try to find the references (I believe it was Herodotus who devulged on their dietary habits). 

It would be great if you could provide a source for that. I thought that fish would the leat "prestigious" food for ancient nomades. At least I know that eating fish for Mongols meant to reach the "lowest level of poverty" meaning poor nomades don't have any horses and cattle so they are forced to catch and eat fish.
Σαυρομάτης
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Please; we're not talking about names. The Turkmen word "Ekmek" exists in Turkish too, but they refer to two different things. Could you please tell me about Turkish and Azeri Katlama?

"Pyshme" is not "fried dough". If "fried dough" is the definition for "Pyshme", Iranians make this too. What's more, "Börek" is also a "fried dough" then. Do you have any picture of Turkish "Pishi", please?

Anyhow, what does "Pishi" mean in Turkish? I just wonder, since it's not from the same root "Pyshme" comes from - if you mean a similarity in name. 

In modernday Turkish they say Bishi

In modernday Turkish Ekmek is used to describe bread wether it be Yufka, pide, lavash or just slised bread

Edited by xi_tujue - 06-Sep-2008 at 16:53
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2008 at 16:40

Sorry for this late reply.

Thanks xi_tuje for the picture and explanation. The picture you posted here - Turkish "Bishi" - is called "Qoqun" in Turkmen - and it's different from "Pyshme". 

That was something new to me, thanks.

Edited by gok_toruk - 09-Sep-2008 at 16:42
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2008 at 18:51
^yeah

my grandmother calls it Loqum wich is Turkish delight in modernnTurkish

what does Pyshme look like?
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 12:09
I'll take a picture soon, next time when my mother cooks it. I need a place (online storage) to upload it since AE regulates a limit on size of pictures one posts, I suppose.

Edited by gok_toruk - 10-Sep-2008 at 12:11
TugZy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote TugZy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 10:38
You have a knife,  u have your meal. Its the most necessary tool and it is not unusual to eat only with a knife in mongolia. do u think that someone will carry all these kitchen tools during long time journeys on horseback? This type of life is what we call nomadic.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 13:08
Nomads aren't gypsies who are allways on the road they had pastures they didn't move daily or weekly only when needed like change of season or war. So they had quite a few belongings
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 21:39
Doner ? have you ever eat ? I like it very very much ! I CAN EAT IT ALL THE TIME (:
Delicious...
and Kebaps ... great.
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
HungryWolf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HungryWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 22:03
Lezzet Kababı :D

Lule Kabap
Turkic national eatings. All turkic peoples eat kabaps :)

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
Knight
Knight

Quote HungryWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 22:08
Turkish Anadolu Dolma :

Azerbaijani Caucasus Dolma :

there is little differences but both are very delicious :)

Edited by HungryWolf - 15-Mar-2009 at 22:11

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 22:34
There is Dolma is Sherqi Turkistan and Ozbekistan aswell Tongue
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 17:26
Hungrywolf my brother, you made me hungry with your pictures (:
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Knight
Knight

Quote HungryWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 20:33
Hungrywolf my brother, you made me hungry with your pictures (:
;)

kukaracha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kukaracha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 09:49
uzbek 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtP0k2nxoo
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2012 at 14:32
Here a Kazakh recipe which I would like to try when I get into coking inspiration:
"...

Gutap - Kazakh Deep-Fried Herb Fritters ingredients

• ---FILLING---
  • 3 T dill freshly chopped fine
  • 3 T parsley freshly chopped fine
  • 1 T garlic, minced
  • 9 T Scallions chopped fine
  • 1 T Black pepper, freshly ground
  • 8 T butter
  • 1 1⁄2 t Salt
  • ---DOUGH---
  • 1 1⁄2 c All-purpose flour
  • 1⁄2 t Salt
  • 4 T butter, softened
  • 2⁄3 c Luke warm water
  • --Sauce--
  • 1 t Cider vinegar
  • 1⁄4 c Sour cream
  • 2 T butter
  • 1⁄2 t flour
  • 6 T Finely minced onion
  • 1⁄2 t Salt
  • 1 t Black pepper, freshly ground
  • 1 T Lemon or lime juice frshly squeezed & strained

Cooking Gutap - Kazakh Deep-Fried Herb Fritters

1. Place the flour into a deep mixing bowl.
2. Make a hollow in the center.
3. Add the water into the hollow, salt, & 2 T of the butter.
4. Stiri slowly untilk all of the ingredients are well mixed and the water is totally absorbed.
5. Beat vigorously with a large spoon until a firm, stiff dough is formed.
6. Gather the dough into a ball.
7. on floured surface roll the dough ball out into a rectangle approx.
8. 16" x 18". Brush the dough with the remaining butter, fold into quarters, then roll it out as thinly as possible.
9. Cut into a 16" x 18" rectangle the cut that into 48 each 2" squares.
10. FILLING: Combine the salt, pepper, scallions, garlic, parsley, & dill.
11. Cut the butter into tiny bits and chill until the dough is ready.
12. Place a teaspoon of the filling mix into the center of each square, add a piece of the butter to each.
13. Draw up the corners and pinch them together firmly thus closing the filling into the dough.
14. Heat enough oil in a deep pot. Heat to 375 degrees F. and drop in 4-6 of the filled squares.
15. Cook for 4 minutes, remove from the oil, drain, and serve warm.
16. SAUCE: Melt the butter, add the chopped onions, the salt, the pepper, & the vinegar.
17. Cook for 4 minutes then add the remaining ingredients.
18. Stir constantly until it thickens.
19. Remove from the heat.
20. Ad the lemon juice and serve over the fritters...."

http://www.cookadvice.com/recipes/gutap__kazakh_deepfried_herb_fritters-1466-recipe.htm

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2012 at 19:24
The Mongols supposedly ate beef tenderised by keeping it under the saddle all day as they didn't have time to stop and cook it. Rather than raw meat, perhaps this was actually a type of jerky?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2012 at 00:39
Some examples of Uzbek national cuisine:

Sutli non - Flat bread

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 30 g (1 oz) yeast, 1-2 cups milk, 3 tablespoons oil, salt.

Dilute yeast in warm milk. mix in little sifted flour and oil. Add the rest of the flour and salted water as necessary. Knead dough and let stnad covered in warm place. Divide dough into 150-200g (5-7 oz) pieces and roll into balls. Flatten into round bread, 2 cm (3/4 in) at edges and 1 cm (2/5 in) in the center. Make a pattern in the center with a chekish. Sprinkle water on the underside and bake in a tandoor or an oven.

Obi-non - Flat bread

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, 40 g (1 1/2 oz) yeast

Prepare dough as in flat bread recipe above. Divide dough into 150-200 g (5-7 oz.) pieces and roll into balls. Flatten into round bread, 2-3 cm (3/4-1 in) at adges and 5 mm (3/16 in.) in the center. Make a pattern in the center with a chekish. Sprinkle water on the underside and bake in a tandoor.

Jizzali non - Flat bread with fat

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, 40 g (1 1/2 oz.) yeast, 1 cup cubed animal fat.

Fry fat, drain, and cool. Prepare dough as in flat bread recipe above owrking in pieces of fat evenly throughout the dough. Divide dough into 40 g (1 1/2 oz) pieces and roll into balls. Continue with Obi-non recipe from above.

Kunjutli va sedanli non - Flat bread with sesame and poppy seeds

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, 30 g (1 oz) yeast, 10 g (1/2 oz.) sesame and poppy seeds.

Recipe is identical to Obi-non above, except make the dough a little less stiff and allow to rise an extra 25-30 minuntes. Stamp patterns on top, scatter with sesame and poppy seeds, and bake in a tandoor oven.

Piyozli non - Flat bread with onions

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 30 g salt, 30 g (1 oz.) yeast, 60 g (2 oz.) dry milk, 40 g (1-2 oz) beef fat, 180 g onions, 14 g or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 20 g sesame seeds, 730 ml or 3 cups water.

Recipe is the same as Obi-non above. Stamp patterns on top and sprinkle with thinly sliced onions and sesame seeds. Allow to rise another 15-20 minutes under a pastry cloth and bake in a tandoor oven.

Shirmoi hon - Chickpea and anise flat bread

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 1L or 4 cups water, 1 cup chickpeas, 1 teaspoon anise seed, 2 teaspoons salt, 30 g (1 oz.) yeast.

Basic dough recipe is the same as Obi-non above. Pick and clean the best dried chickpeas and crush. Boil anise seed in water and then add crushed chickpeas. Cool for about an hour, add yeast and mix well. Add anise water to flour and make dough. Divid into pieces, flatten into round bread, 2.5 cm (1 in) at edges and 1 cm (2/5 in) in the center. Make a pattern in the center with chekish and make decorative pattern on sides bread with a knife. Bake in tandoor oven.

Lochira

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, 30 g (1 oz) yeast, 1 cup grease

Make dough with warm salted water, yeast, grease, and stifted flour and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Divide dough into 200 g (7 oz) pieces and roll into balls. Flatten into round bread about 3-4 mm (1/6 in) thick. Make indentations on the top with chekish to reduce thickness of the edges and bake in a tandoor.

Yogli Lochira

1.5 kg or 11 1/4 cups flour, 200 g (7 oz) margarine, 700 g or 3 cups milk, 13 g or 1 teaspoon oil, 20 g salt.

Dissolve salt in milk, add softened margarine and stifted flour and let stand for 30-40 minutes. Roll out dough into balls and let stand another 20-25 minutes. Flatten into round bread about 3-5 mm (1/8-3/16 in) thick. Make deep indentations on the top with a checkish to reduce thickness of the edges and bake in a tandoor.

Katlama - Flat bread

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 cups grease or kaimak, 2 tablespoons sugar or confectioner's sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 cup butter.

Add sifted flour to warm salted water. Knead dough and let stand 10-15 minutes. Roll out into a thin layer, 1 mm (1/25 in). Rub surface with grease, sour cream, or butter. Roll the dough around itself using a rolling stick (similar to a dowel). Cut lengthwise along the stick which 2 cm (3/4 in) strips. Roll up each strip, place in its side and flatten with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1 cm (2/5 in). Coat frying pan with melted butter and fry on both sides.

Piyozli katlama - Flat bread with onions

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 1 cup kaimak, 3 onions, 1 cup butter, salt.

Add sifted flour to warm salted water. Knead dough and let stand 10-15 minutes. Roll out into a thin layer, 1 mm (1/25 in) and coat with kaimak. Sprinkle surface evenly wih chopped onions. Roll the dough with onions around itself using a rolling stick. Follow recipe for katlama above. Coat frying pan with melted butter and fry on both sides.

Gilmindi - Jizzax pancakes

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 3 cups milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, 300 g (11 oz) butter, salt.

Make sauce by adding one cup flour to sweetened milk and cook until it thickens. To make dough, add water and salt to sifted flour. Allow to stand in warm place. Cut dough into 50 g (1-2 oz) pieces, roll out like flat bread and fry in butter. Coat top surface with milk sauce and fold into a half-moon.

Yupka - Pancakes

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 300 g (11 oz) mutton or beef, 2 onions, 1 tablespoon butter, salt, pepper, 250 g (9 oz) vegetable oil for frying.

Mince the meat in meat-grinder and fry in oil. Make stiff dough out of flour, salt, and water, roll into tortilla-shaped breads but even thinner. Rub frying pan with butter and fry dough on both sides. Remove and fry second bread on one side. Flip over, spread out a thin layer of minced meat on the the side that has been fried. Layer with first bread and spread out another layer of filling and top with uncooked dough. Turn the entire stack over, repeat with filling and layers of dough. Make stack about 10-12 high. Cook on very low heat. To serve fold each layer with meat filling like an envelope. 

Parmuda Samsa

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups water, 4 teaspoons salt, 50 g or 1/4 cup greese, 800 g (28 oz) meat, 500 g (18 oz) onions, 200 g (7 oz) animal fat, salt, spices to taste.

For the filling, put meat through a meat-grinder, combine well with choped onions and fat, salt and spices. To make stiff dough, add water and salt to sifted flour, let stand for 30-40 minutes. Roll out dough into thin layer, use mouth of a glass to cut out circles. Place a spoonful of filling in the center, pinch edges up around the filling forming a ball and completely enclosing the meat. Sprinkle the sides with water and join samsa together in a square. Coat top with beaten egg and bake 30-40 minutes in tandoor or oven.

Chip-Chip Samsa

600 g or 4 1/2 cups flour, 4 eggs, 200 g or 4/5 cups water, 700 g (25 oz) meat, 800 g (28 oz) onions, 160 g (5-6 oz) mutton fat, salt, pepper and cumin to taste.

For the filling, combine finely diced (or minced) meat with chopped onions and fat, salt and spices. To make dough, add water, salt and egg to sifted flour, let stand for 30-40 minutes. Cut dough into 20 g (7/10 oz) pieces and roll out each piece into small flat rounds. Place a spoonful of filling (40 g or 1 1/2 oz) in the center, pinch edges up around the filling forming a ball and completely eclosing the meat. Join the sides of two samsa together and caot with beaten egg. Place on a greased pan and bake 25-30 minutes.

Tandir Samsa - Tandoori Somsa

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 1 kg (2 1/4 lb) meat, 1 kg (2 1/4 lb) onions, 110 g (4 oz) mutton fat, salt and pepper to taste.

For the filling, put meat through a meat-grinder, combine well with chopped onions, cubed fat, salt and pepper. To make stiff dough, add water and salt to sifted flour, let stand for 30-40 minutes. Cut dough into 70 g (2 1/2 oz) pieces and roll out each piece into small flat rounds. Place a spoonful of filling in the center, pinch edges up around the filling, form an oval, and completely enclose the meat. Stick samsa to the walls of a tandoor and bake 25-30 minutes.

Varaki Samsa - Pastry Samsa

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 800 g (28 oz) meat, 500 g (18 oz) onions, 150 g (5 oz) mutton fat, 50 g (2 oz) butter, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.

For the filling, put meat through a meat- grinder, combine well with chopped onions, cubed fat, salt and spices. To make dough, add warm water and salt to sifted flour, let stand for 30-40 minutes. Roll out dough into 3-4 mm (1/8 in) layer and greese surface with melted butter. Roll up the dough tightly forming a log, and cool. Cut log into 70 g (2 1/5 oz) pieces and place on their flat sides. Roll out into small flat rounds. Place a spoonful of filling in the center, pinch edges around the filling forming oval pastry, and completely enclose the meat. Stick samsa to walls of tandoor, sprinkle water on top, and bake 20-30 minutes.

Kovoqli Varaki Somsa - Pumpkin Samsa

650 g or 4 3/4 cups flour, 400 g (14-15 oz) pumpkin, 2 egg, 160 g (3-4 oz) onions, 150 g (5 oz) mutton fat, 70 g (2 1/2 oz) margarine, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.

For the filling, combine diced pumpkin with chopped onions, fat, salt, sugar and spices. To make dough, add warm water, egg and salt to sifted flour, let stand for 30-40 minutes. Roll out dough into 3-4 mm (1/8 in) layer and grease surface with melted margarine. Roll up the dough tightly forming a log, and cool 5-6 hours. Cut log into 50 g (2 oz) pices and place on their flat sides. Roll out into small flat rounds. Place a spoonful of filling in the center, pinch edges around the pumpkin forming a square pastry, and completely enclose the filling. Bake 20-25 minutes in an oven.

Kuk Somsa - Samsa With Greens

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 2 eggs, 60 g or 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 2 kg (4 1/2 lb) mixed greens (clover, mint, coriander, etc.), 100 g (3 oz) mutton fat, 2 bundles (6 oz) green onions, 4 onions, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.

For the filling, combine finely chopped greens with chopped onions, cubed fat, salt and spices. To make dough, add water and salt to sifted flour, let stand for 30-40 minutes. Cut dough into 50 g (1-2 oz) pieces and roll out each piece into small flat rounds. Place a spoonful of filling in the center, pinch edges closed around the filling, and form a ball. Bake 30-40 minutes.

Kartoshkali Kovurma Varaki Somsa - Fried Potato Pies

600 g or 4 1/2 cups flour, 500 g (18 oz) potatoes, 120 g (4-5 oz) onions, 120 g (4-5 oz) margarine, 100 g or 7 tablespoons vegetable oil, salt to taste.

For the filling, combine diced boiled potatoes with sauteed onions, salt and spices. To make dough, add warm water and salt to sifted flour, let stand for 30-40 minutes. Roll out dough into 1.5-3 mm (1/16-1/8 in) layer and grease surface with melted margarine. Roll the dough around itself using a rolling stick. Cut lengthwise along the stick which will result in several layers of strips of dough. Cut strips into appoximately 6x8 cm (2x3 in) squares. Place potato filling in the center of each square, fold in half, and pinch edges closed with your fingers. Deep-fat fry in hot oil.

Gumma - Fried Meat Pies

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 eggs, 700 g (25 oz) meat, 50 g (2 oz) onion, salt and spices to taste.

Combine minced meat with chopped onions. To make dough, combine water, salt and sifted flour, let stand for 2-2 1/2 hours. Divide into 20-30 g (1 oz) pieces. Flatten and place minced meat in center. Fold into half moon, pinch the edges together lightly and deep-fat fry.

Balish - Baked Meat Pies

1 kg or 7 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, 30 g (1 oz) yeast, 1 kg (2 1/4 lb meat, 500 g (18 oz) onions, salt and spices to taste.

For the filling, combine finely diced (or minced) meat with chopped onions, salt and pepper. To make dough, combine water, oil, salt, sifted flour and yeast, let stand for 2-2 1/2 hours. Divide into 40-50 g (1/2-2 oz) balls. Roll out to a thickness of 3 mm (1/7 in) and place minced meat in the center. Fold dough up aroun filling, leaving a circular opening at the top. Place on greased pan, open side up, and let rise another 5-10 minutes. Coat with beaten egg and bake in pre-heated oven (200-240 C) for 8-10 minutes. 

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2012 at 04:39
One traditional dish of the Mongols for centuries has been Shulen, which is a hearty stew made with meat, roots, and wild vegetables. Buda'an, porridge made from millet, was also popular.

The Mongols also ate a type of meat jerky called borts. It lasted a long time and was the perfect kind of fast food for soldiers on campaign. It also allowed the Mongols to have meat during times when meat was scarce.

Grut, a type of very hard cheese, has also been popular among the Mongols for years.

Edited by Snafu - 15-Mar-2012 at 04:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>