Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongolian Spot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongolian Spot?
    Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 01:53
I've just ran into an article in Wiki about Mongolian Spot.  I don't know if it's been discussed in AE or not, but I did the 'Search' in AE and nothing helpful.  Though I've seen some red rash like birth marks on infants that goes away or I might even have seen some darker marks that probably was a Mongolian Spot, but I've never heard the term until now.  So I thought this would the best subforum to ask some questions.   So if it's been discussed, please let me know what thread I should look up. (sorry, I don't feel like reading the entire subforum if 'Search' can't help me)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

......A Mongolian Spot, Mongolian Fleck or Mongolian Blue Spot is a benign flat congenital birthmark with wavy borders and irregular shape, most common among East Asians and Turks, and named after Mongolians. It is also extremely prevalent among East Africans and Native Americans.[1][2] It normally disappears three to five years after birth and almost always by puberty.[3] The most common color is blue, although they can be blue-gray, blue-black or even deep brown......

Mongolian spots are most prevalent among Mongols, Turks, and other Asian groups, such as the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Nearly all East Asian infants are born with one or more Mongolian spots. The incidence of Mongolian spot among East Asian infants is 90-95%.[1] It is also common if only one of the parents is East Asian.

Among East African infants it is found at rates between 90-95%, and 85-90% of Native American infants.[1]

The incidence among Caucasians, that is, the indigenous peoples of Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and the Indian subcontinent (Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) is between 1-10%.[1] However, it has been found to be prominent among Europeans that have had extensive interaction with Hun cultures, most notably Hungarians who have a 22.6% occurrence rate among their population.[citation needed]

Additionally, there is an incidence of 50-70% among some countries of the Americas,[1] presumably as a result of the Native American admixture found in mestizos (people of mixed European and Native American ancestry) that is an important racial group among some countries.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
c: Common Mongolian spots
  These will disappear within 10 years.
d: Deep blue Mongolian spots
  In these pictures all deep blue spots are ectopic and may become persistent Mongolian spots which remain until adulthood.
e: Ectopic Mongolian spots,
   aberrant Mongolian spots

In these pictures all spots are thin and will disappear in within a few years.

I guess my questions would be;
         1.  Does anyone have different opinion about this compare to what is said in Wiki?
         2.  Did you have a Mongolian Spot, or in your family, or in your region?  
         3.  If yes to #2, then tell me more about the ethnic make up of yourself, family 
              or the region that you have seen this.
         4.  Can we read more into the genetic make up of the Mongolians, East Asians, Turks,
              Huns, East Africans, Native Americans, Eastern Europeans, with this, especially
              in comparison to Indians, Persians, and Caucasians who has very low incidents.
         5.  Is there any cultural symbolism to whether having or not having the spot,
              or for the size, location, color, etc since birth marks often symbolize certain 
              cultural connotations in old cultures. 

I guess that's enough questions for now.  I don't have any hidden agenda or trying to prove any theory.   I just find it interesting have some genuine questions.  If you have any interesting articles or websites I would appreciate them.  But I would really appreciate your personal accounts also.  I should have asked my parents if I had it or they know anything it at all.    
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 19:17
I have once read an article about that spot occurring with quite a lot of children in an isolated valley in the French alps. The explanation for this is that the invading Huns did at some point visit the valley and left their genes, and because the valley was so isolated from the general European genepool it survived to the present day.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 19:44
Thanks, Aelfgifu for that info.   I'm just so surprised that how common it is in quite a large part of the globe and I've never even heard of term, especially me being a Korean and being born in Korea.   I'm also interested in finding out more about the cultural symbolism/connotation about them for different cultures.   As far as the Huns in Europe, I can't see it being too positive.   I mean if a Mongolian spot stays on a child until s/he reaches the school age, do they get pick on for it?  But then again any visual birth marks can a subject of childish cruelty.  But do they get picked on because it's a visible birth mark or it's a birth mark that's inherited by historical foreign invaders which some might call savages? 

I've also read that here in U.S. some parents get accused of child abuse because they look similar to bruises, which any pediatrician should be able to tell the difference by just looking at it but most of the public is not even aware of such thing exist.
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 20:06
I saw a documentary on it years ago and it mentioned the French connection.  And I think a thread was opened here about it a couple of years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply