Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Armies 1596-1696

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Armies 1596-1696
    Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 11:08
These are some great pictures I recently found:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 925x672 and weights 60KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 664x926 and weights 63KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 668x915 and weights 67KB.

[img]http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2634/wjazd5vn7nx.jpg[img]

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 921x694 and weights 71KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 918x680 and weights 63KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 918x667 and weights 70KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 921x692 and weights 63KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 920x673 and weights 65KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 665x912 and weights 60KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 919x668 and weights 64KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 658x910 and weights 56KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 668x945 and weights 66KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 671x920 and weights 56KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 672x941 and weights 59KB.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 16:05
Janissaries with Sobieski?

Al-Jassas
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 16:09
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Al-Jassas

Those weren't real Janissaries, but more like a guard and parade troops. For this reason men with darker facial features were recruited in this small unit.
You know Turkish fashion was quite popular in Poland in that time.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 16:25

Al-Jassas

Many rich polish aristocrats and kings dressed their own polish guardsmen as janissaries on parades and feasts.They played the role of clowns rather than soldiers.Sobieski,although or because,fought many wars against the turks liked to have such dressed janisaries with him.I gues because of the style of clothes,which was very popular in Poland and the traditional polish aristocracy clothes were a mixture of western european and eastern/oriental fashion.

Here are more polish soldiers from those centuries :

Edited by Władysław Warnencz - 09-Aug-2008 at 16:26
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 16:51
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

Al-Jassas

Many rich polish aristocrats and kings dressed their own polish guardsmen as janissaries on parades and feasts.They played the role of clowns rather than soldiers.

I wouldn't be so bold in that statement. They actually took part in Vienna campaign.

From Osprey book.

Small units of janissaries dressed in Turkish style, each with their own livery colours, were kept by wealthy magnates, hetmen, and the king until the end of the 18th century. The first one appears to have been raised from prisoners taken in Chocim in 1673 by Sobieski, but others were recruited from Ukrainian, Moldavian, Wallachian peasants specially selected for their dark features and long moustaches. A second company was added to Sobieski Guard  in 1681 after it deserted from the Turkish ocupied fortress Kamieniec in Podolia. Both companies numbering in total about 200 men accompanied Sobieski to Vienna and were under the command of Gorzynski.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 16:57
Originally posted by Roberts

Al-Jassas

Many rich polish aristocrats and kings dressed their own polish guardsmen as janissaries on parades and feasts.They played the role of clowns rather than soldiers.

I wouldn't be so bold in that statement. They actually took part in Vienna campaign.

From Osprey book.

Small units of janissaries dressed in Turkish style, each with their own livery colours, were kept by wealthy magnates, hetmen, and the king until the end of the 18th century. The first one appears to have been raised from prisoners taken in Chocim in 1673 by Sobieski, but others were recruited from Ukrainian, Moldavian, Wallachian peasants specially selected for their dark features and long moustaches. A second company was added to Sobieski Guard  in 1681 after it deserted from the Turkish ocupied fortress Kamieniec in Podolia. Both companies numbering in total about 200 men accompanied Sobieski to Vienna and were under the command of Gorzynski.

It writes they accompanied him to Vienna - and that's what i wrote - he liked such people to accompanie him.It diesn't write they fought and even IF they did it was because those were some of the first polish janissaries - later,in the 18th century they played only the role of clowns and waiters at feasts.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 20:39

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 11:44

Polish rider View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Polish rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 06:02
Hi

This is my first post in the forum.

My favourite rider - "The Polish Rider" (Lisowczyk) painted by Rembrandt

Edited by Polish rider - 11-Aug-2008 at 06:14
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 08:14
Władysław Warnencz  
Be careful not to post copyright material.

All the pictures in your first post are works of the well known painter Angus McBride and if you have permission to post them, you should credit him for them and acknowledge his copyright.
If you don't have permission to post them (or if they are not under any of the free licences), you should only provide access to them through links to their original address on the net.

This is  the general policy we have to adhere to, and its aimed at you and everyone else posting pictures in this thread and throughout the forum.

~ Northman

Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 21:15
Originally posted by Northman

Władysław Warnencz  
Be careful not to post copyright material.

All the pictures in your first post are works of the well known painter Angus McBride and if you have permission to post them, you should credit him for them and acknowledge his copyright.
If you don't have permission to post them (or if they are not under any of the free licences), you should only provide access to them through links to their original address on the net.

This is  the general policy we have to adhere to, and its aimed at you and everyone else posting pictures in this thread and throughout the forum.

~ Northman

I found those photos on the internet so what's the problem?I didn't hack a site and steal them.If something is on google than it shouldn't be under copyright protection.And if it was under copyright protection it wouldn't have been possible for me to save them on my computer.And why do you make problem exactly for those pictures,when there are hundrets of different pictures in this forum,that are someones art.Do everybody have permission from the authors?And what if i just tell you i spoke to him and he permitted me to post them? LOL
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 22:12

I found those photos on the internet so what's the problem?I didn't hack a site and steal them.If something is on google than it shouldn't be under copyright protection.And if it was under copyright protection it wouldn't have been possible for me to save them on my computer.And why do you make problem exactly for those pictures,when there are hundrets of different pictures in this forum,that are someones art.Do everybody have permission from the authors?And what if i just tell you i spoke to him and he permitted me to post them? LOL

You obviously have no clue about the laws on copyright and you are wrong on all the assumptions you make.
Accordingly to those laws, you DID steal those pictures from the site where you found them. The crime is not to post them here - the crime is yours alone when you saved them.

Let me enlighten you with a couple of pointers.
  • Par definition - EVERYTHING on the net IS copyright (ie. text and images). Whether the copyright owner cares enough to make a case of a violation is his choice.
  • A month back - we did have an artist who cared. A member posted ONE photo, and the guy came glued - look here.
  • How would YOU feel if you earned your money as an artist (ie. author, painter or photographer) and found your latest novel or canvas on the net? 
    Would you be able to sell your work if its already used by everyone? - I think not.
  • Think of the internet as an exhibition. You may look, but you cannot take the picture and place it on your wall (or on the forum)
I'm a photographer myself and I have more galleries on the net and more photos on Google Earth as well. People can freely use my photos if they like them...  NOT because they aren't copyright - indeed they are - but because I don't care. 
And why wouldn't I care, when the other guy did? Because I don't have to make my income from the photos I make.

Why did I specifically point out the pics you posted?
Because it was a good example of an obvious massive violation of copyright - but as I mentioned in my post - it was not aimed exclusively towards you, but all members posting copyright material.
If you had provided links to those pictures instead (where you found them), there wouldn't have been any violation.

We are not "The Police of Copyright" - but we aim to keep the forum free of the most obvious violations. I'm sure you now can understand why I posted.

~ Northman

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 22:49
How in God's name did I start this thread ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused?

Al-Jassas
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 23:15
I found those pictures in a thread in another forum i am visiting and descided i could share them with you opening the same thread.That's the link http://forum.stirpes.net/west/7066-polish-armies-1596-1696-a.html
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 00:46

I found those pictures in a thread in another forum i am visiting and descided i could share them with you opening the same thread.That's the link http://forum.stirpes.net/west/7066-polish-armies-1596-1696-a.html

To repeat a crime doesn't make it right, Wladyslaw.

Edited by Northman - 29-Aug-2008 at 00:47
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by Northman

To repeat a crime doesn't make it right, Wladyslaw.

OK,i will not post any more "stolen" pictures,but would also like you to hide the pictures of all others,who don't have authorization to post them and not just mine,as you did in this thread.In my humble opinion it is not fair.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 19:28

And what if i just tell you i spoke to him and he permitted me to post them? LOL

hardly possible as he died this year. not funny.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 20:47
Really Angus Macbride died?! omg!
                                           Cry

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2012 at 11:54
The Polish army had some interesting kit: a mixture of the latest musket-proof armor together with medieval chainmail and bows
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ilmen View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ilmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 07:00
This isn't Polish army.
Ilmen from Poland, Stettin (Polska, Szczecin)
 Post Reply Post Reply