Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Father demands removal of crucifix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Father demands removal of crucifix
    Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 12:57
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

Nomather what his feelings were he had no right to demand that.After all he has chosen to live in a christian country and thus should accept christianity.If he doesn't than he should go to the muslim world.

Lat time I checked, France was a constitutional republic with freedom of religion. Something changed since yesterday?

I find it a bit stupid of the man to make such a fuss over a crucifix, but I agree with the nuns. It is not worth the trouble of being fundamental about it. Perhaps in future the dad should discuss the possibilities of removing the cross beforehand without him shouting at them. I am sure the nuns treat lots of atheists as well, so I doubt they will be bothered by the fact their patients do not believe as they do.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 10-Aug-2008 at 13:00

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 16:45
France has no state religion, it is secular Wladyslaw just like most if not all EU countries. So his demands are perfectly legal.

Al-Jassas
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 17:00
Originally posted by Al Jassas

France has no state religion, it is secular Wladyslaw just like most if not all EU countries. So his demands are perfectly legal.

Al-Jassas
Did i write they are illegal?Did i write he should go to jail?I only wrote it is arrogant to go to a catholic hospital and demand removal of crucifix.And not just a polite demand,but an ugly arguement with the nurses and shouting.Do you think such behaviour is normal?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 19:11
Normal? Probably not. Worthy of intenational attention? Defenately not.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 20:16
The father had every right to demand such a symbol be taken down. He had no business carrying on the way he did but every right to ask for the crucifix to be taken down. I was born in a Christian hospital with no Crosses on the walls.

This is an incredibly trivial matter and does not warrant international discussion. I think this speaks more about certain people's "islamophobia" and xenophobia than anything else. If the father was Jewish would this have caught your attention? What if the person was Hindu or Buddhist and acted the same way, still the same reaction?

Let's also not forget that France is not a "Christian country" it is a secular republic. Being a secular republic it has no state religion so making the claim that this family lives in Christian country and should therefore accept Christianity is ridiculous.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 20:46
It would also mean, inter alia, that everyone in England would have to belong to the Church of England. No Romans, no Orthodox, no Nonconformists, no Puritans...but we tried that. Didn't work.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 21:54
Originally posted by King John

The father had every right to demand such a symbol be taken down. He had no business carrying on the way he did but every right to ask for the crucifix to be taken down. I was born in a Christian hospital with no Crosses on the walls.

This is an incredibly trivial matter and does not warrant international discussion. I think this speaks more about certain people's "islamophobia" and xenophobia than anything else. If the father was Jewish would this have caught your attention? What if the person was Hindu or Buddhist and acted the same way, still the same reaction?

Let's also not forget that France is not a "Christian country" it is a secular republic. Being a secular republic it has no state religion so making the claim that this family lives in Christian country and should therefore accept Christianity is ridiculous.

I completely agree, the notion that one should convert to the religion of the majority in any given country is ridiculous. However, I also find it ridiculous for one to seek medical attention from a Catholic clinic while at the same time ordering the removal a crucifix.

I wonder your thoughts, can there be a parallel made if I myself were to enter a hospital and demand that a crucifix be added to my room?

Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 23:46
If you wanted that Crucifix in your room sure you can demand it. I don't see why that would be an issue. So I would say yes there can be a parallel made if you wanted a cross or any other religious symbol.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 11:28

I don't see how you can demand a crucifix. Of course you should be allowed to have a crucifix, but I don't see why the hospital should provide you with one. (Even if it's a Roman Catholic hospital.)

Also the question everybody keeps ignoring except me is who chose the hospital? The way I read the story, the daughter probably did, and the father was probably already angry about that.

Certainly it wasn't the father that was getting the medical treatment.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 16:13
Originally posted by gcle2003

I don't see how you can demand a crucifix. Of course you should be allowed to have a crucifix, but I don't see why the hospital should provide you with one. (Even if it's a Roman Catholic hospital.)

I dont think a hospital has the responsibility to provide me with a crucifix either; I also dont believe a Catholic clinic has the responsibility to remove a crucifix which is already present. Is that a more clear parallel?

Also the question everybody keeps ignoring except me is who chose the hospital? The way I read the story, the daughter probably did, and the father was probably already angry about that.

Certainly it wasn't the father that was getting the medical treatment.

For the details regarding my position refer to my first posting. The girls health and the care given to her take precedence over all trivial issues, no matter how ridiculous they may be, such as the removal of a crucifix. 
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 15:39
Originally posted by King John

Firstly,by writing they have to accept christianity i didn't mean they should convert,but find a way to live with christianity around them - for example crucifix on the walls.

And secondly,who cares where you were born and if there was a crucifix on the wall?It is no arguement.The hospital was christian so it is normal that there is a crucifix on the wall.If there wasn't it wouldn't be any different than any other hospital.When it is officialy CHRISTIAN hospital there should be AT LEAST a crucifix on the wall - if you don't like it do not go there.

And you are all right this issue is not worth international attention and that's why it is not in "Current affairs" , but here - in intelectual discussions,where even the least important issues can be discussed from different points of view.

Edited by Władysław Warnencz - 17-Aug-2008 at 15:40
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 16:30
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

This is a trivial issue that doesn't deserve international press.

I agree and besides afther she has left the hospital they could put the Crucifix back into the room. Now, if they demanded all signs of Christianity removed, unlikely, then that would be a different song.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 10:10
If I try real hard to see things from the irrational POV of a deeply religious person, I can understand why he wanted to have the cross removed. Still, given today's islamophobia I would probably have thought twice about doing so if I was in his place, and avoided all this negative attention.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 13:25
Władysław Warnencz , anyone has the right to demand what he want, the nurse could just  refuse his demand, but she was very wise and prevented unnecessary argument.
I wonder what are you trying to prove here, you made a hurly-burly for a vain subject.

arrogance, you make me laugh ,  there is no arrogance at all, maybe a fanatic act form impolite person.
Do you think such behavior is normal? yes I do.
finally, I agree with Reginmund, if I was in the man's place, I would say nothing to evade
reflecting a bad image.
I can surf  the net and  find hundreds case like this(not identical) regardless of religion or  certain group of people.
but you choose a Muslim man for a purpose, but you choose the wrong one,a scatter brained man.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 18:53
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Władysław Warnencz , anyone has the right to demand what he want, the nurse could just  refuse his demand, but she was very wise and prevented unnecessary argument.
I wonder what are you trying to prove here, you made a hurly-burly for a vain subject.

arrogance, you make me laugh ,  there is no arrogance at all, maybe a fanatic act form impolite person.
Do you think such behavior is normal? yes I do.
finally, I agree with Reginmund, if I was in the man's place, I would say nothing to evade
reflecting a bad image.
I can surf  the net and  find hundreds case like this(not identical) regardless of religion or  certain group of people.
but you choose a Muslim man for a purpose, but you choose the wrong one,a scatter brained man.

I didn't choose someone with a certain purpose.This is just a case fit for subforum called "intellectual discussions" and can be discussed from many points of view.If you want change the word muslim with christian and crucifix with Flag of Shahada.It doesn't matter because what religions we are talking about,but wether it is right to demand such thing (nomather what is the religion).

Muslims however imediately start crying about islamophobia and that this is nothing important...Yes,it is not - i didn't write it is,THAT IS WHY IT IS IN INTELLECTUAL DISCUSSION AND NOT CURRENT AFFAIRS (God,how many times should i repeat this... Cry).
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 19:11
Who was crying about islamophobia?

The situation would be no different if it were a Christian wanting an Islamic symbol removed, or for that matter an anti-Nazi demanding a swastika be removed, or a capitalist lackey demanding a hammer-and-sickle be removed.

In all those cases it would be essentially trivial. Symbols don't affect anything: attributing  importance  to them is basically childish, like believing in magic.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 21:34

Who was crying about islamophobia?

The situation would be no different if it were a Christian wanting an Islamic symbol removed, or for that matter an anti-Nazi demanding a swastika be removed, or a capitalist lackey demanding a hammer-and-sickle be removed.

In all those cases it would be essentially trivial. Symbols don't affect anything: attributing  importance  to them is basically childish, like believing in magic.

Then why was it so important to him the crucifix to be removed?Why was he risking his daughter health for such a "childish" thing?It seems the nurses were more adult thant...
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 21:57

Al-Jassas

Well, I don't consider Poland to be free of state religion. It isn't written in the constitution afaik, but still, from what I've heard...Poland kinda reminds me that Muslim guy.
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 23:01
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

Al-Jassas

Well, I don't consider Poland to be free of state religion. It isn't written in the constitution afaik, but still, from what I've heard...Poland kinda reminds me that Muslim guy.

It is funny how some people think such sarcasm might offend people like me.I.In fact Poland also hasn't got a state religion and that's a shame.All christian nations should live in christian,not multi-religious,multi-cultural or multi-ethnical countries.As muslims have muslim laws in their countries so should christians have laws based on the chrisitan religion.I would be very happy if you were right,unfortunately you are not.

BTW,you can't compare a man with a country,at least not in that case... LOL
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 06:55

The situation would be no different if it were a Christian wanting an Islamic symbol removed, or for that matter an anti-Nazi demanding a swastika be removed

I didn't know hospitals put swastikas in the wards. LOL

Edited by Reginmund - 28-Aug-2008 at 06:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>