Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historically Inaccurate Films...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historically Inaccurate Films...
    Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 05:48
I would like to know how accurate the new Tom Cruse movie, Valkrie, really is.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 06:07
Originally posted by Jams

Originally posted by pinguin

Apocalipto.

Agreed. So much potential for a great story, yet it was made into some personal statement from MG - not that such a thing is necessarily a bad thing, but there is a huge potential for an accurate Mayan inspired movie in a historical context. Now nobody want to finance a movie about the Maya.

The reason why I think it is a particularly bad example of a "historical" movie, is because the advertising made it out to be an fairly accurate movie, with reconstructed cities and true Mayan language and such. He should have made the movie in English, because it is just an action movie with a weak "noble savage" message.

Such a pity. I would have liked a movie about the rivalry between the Mayan cities like Tikal and Calakmul, and the betrayal involved. The fact that Apocalypto came out in the period where so much new written info was found, and so much new info about the rivalry and wars, makes it even more awful to me.

What a pity.

I don't know about if this criticism is really accurate. Everything portrayed in Apocalypto is relatively plausible, except of course for the apparent luck of the hero. I'll make my usual challenge here and ask if you can point out even a single historical flaw (not choice of focus, but an actual detail that's wrong). I've made this with others numerous times, and so far, nobody's been able to name one. There are one or two, mainly the arrival of the Spanish is a little difficult to reconcile with what appears to be an Itza or Mayapan centre, since both of these groups had abandoned their urban centres before the Spanish arrival - but that's about all I can think of.

One may criticize its focus - what it chose to portray - but it's pretty difficult to find anything at all in the movie that's actually inaccurate. And saying that the movie ought to have portrayed this or that aspect, well that just isn't really fair. The creators are free to examine whatever aspect they like.

As far as the noble savage idea, I don't really see it. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with what the term "noble savage" means ... it was an idea that native American societies were uncorrupted by the decadent influences of civilization and had an essentially good, generous, innocent, guileless nature. I really didn't see this sort of philosophy at work in Apocalypto at all! The villagers in the first part of the movie were ready to kill interlopers to ensure control of their hunting grounds, and likewise the urbanized group was anything but innocent and uncorrupted.

Edited by edgewaters - 02-Jan-2009 at 06:15
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2009 at 13:39
Originally posted by Gargoyle

Every film about 17th and 18th century Pirates!!!

Or very American film that deals with World War 2 and the part that America played in it.
The list is endless !
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2009 at 06:05
O yes! WW II and John Wayne .
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 19:12

From 300: THIS IS SPARTA, famous scene

A musical parody of the scene:

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2009 at 11:53

Edited by Gargoyle - 21-Jul-2009 at 11:11
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2009 at 08:18
Just about every war film that the USA has ever made is historically inaccurate, since the Hollywood film industry is virtually a branch of Washington's public relations and propaganda department.
I have material for a book that my agent has been negotiating with several studios now for about three years.  It features an old British cargo ship that fought a major battle with the Luftwaffe off the coast at Middlesborough, England. ALL of the US studios want to cast Brad Pitt or Leonardo de Caprio, whereas I want Bob Hoskins for the lead. The Americans want it to be set in a roughie toughtie US Navy destroyer and the location to be Hawaii. For the sake of truth and accuracy I want it to be an old British scow and located off the North Eastern coast of England. Who is gonna win ?
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2009 at 08:33
Originally posted by nova roma

I would like to know how accurate the new Tom Cruse movie, Valkrie, really is.

I haven't seen it so don't know, but the feedback I get is that it is largely correct. Mind you, it'd be a rare Hollywood movie studio (especially one making a movie that starred that well known bizzarro Cruise ) that I'd trust with the family silver, let alone truth and veracity !  Take that onanist Mel Gibson for example, given his marked hatred of the English (who he will rubbish at the drop of a hat ! ), and Jews etc., what credit would you give him for not putting a spin on anything ?  You'd give him buggerall credit once you know what his motivation is, i.e. the advance of Catholicism fair !
bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2009 at 13:42
The Last Samurai was pretty bad.  I'm pretty sure that the Meiji emperor didn't bring an end to the Meiji restoration. 

And having a white man play the part of "the last samurai" was pretty bad too. 
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2009 at 14:11
Are TV series covered here too?
sooty View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sooty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2009 at 05:08
Not so much historically accurate, but rather about being not being true to the story of the Iliad is Troy.  Totally changed parts and changed the whole meaning of the story.
http://www.mythologyhellenic.com
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2010 at 09:48
I just saw "Prince of Persia" and I noticed many wrongs like one guys says "Turkish" the film was meant to be a fantasy that is set during the late Sassanids. 

The film was okay but I am sure they got many things wrong,
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 18:37
Originally posted by Ince

I just saw "Prince of Persia" and I noticed many wrongs like one guys says "Turkish" the film was meant to be a fantasy that is set during the late Sassanids. 

The film was okay but I am sure they got many things wrong,

Prince of Persia is not a historical film, it's complete fantasy.  They mixed Indian, Persian, Turkish, Arabic, African cultures from different periods together. 
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 20:46
The Last Samurai is one of my favorite movies, but it is horribly inaccurate.
dhan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote dhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 02:19
The Last Samurai is one of my favorite movies, but it is horribly inaccurate.

NIIT BJS announces 20th Scholarship for IT Aspirants. Register now! 
Community favorite phpBB styles by STSoftware design team 

================================

Brio Trains |
BurtsBees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456