Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historically Inaccurate Films...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historically Inaccurate Films...
    Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 00:52
I can't help but notice that recently there seem to be some history-based films coming out that make me cringe.  

Vin Diesel as Hannibal Barca, some cheesy Scorpion King film where Sargon of Akkad steals Hammurabi's nuts or whatever...why do they do it?

What film made you laugh the most with it's blatant historical fallicies?
Know thyself
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 03:34
Three hundred.

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 10:50

Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 12:37
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Three hundred.

How did I overlook that!  The Greeks were not called "Men of Bronze" because of their tans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_King:_Rise_of_the_Akkadian

Featuring Sargon of Akkad, Aristotle, Hammurabi and the Minotaur! 

Know thyself
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 17:23

Really? I need to see that...

I guess Mummy series is one of the pretenders for the throne. Or the 'Kingdom of Heaven'?

Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 17:25
Originally posted by rider

Really? I need to see that...

I guess Mummy series is one of the pretenders for the throne. Or the 'Kingdom of Heaven'?

Exept the way they presented the crusaders and especially the templars as evil what else was inaccurate?
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 17:50

Every film about 17th and 18th century Pirates!!!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:09
Wladislaw, have you read the review we chopped up at here about KoH? It's on the main site, somewhere. 
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:41
All of them are inaccurate, telling the real story is not attractive. People want to believe in myths and see them.

Al-Jassas
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:44
Indeed. All movies (99% of them) which have a speech before some kind of a battle are Hollywood fictions.. 
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:46

Indeed. All movies (99% of them) which have a speech before some kind of a battle are Hollywood fictions.. 

Can you name one of the movies belonging to the 1%?
What is the officer problem?
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 01:50
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

Can you name one of the movies belonging to the 1%?

Good question - not one springs to mind.

But I bet Vin's attempt at Hannibal's life will work out just great!
Know thyself
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 01:54
Apocalipto.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 03:18
I still say three hundred, WORSTMOVIE. EVER. Period. 

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 04:56
It was based on a comic; not actual history. And when taken out of context, and seen as a movie it was not that bad when it comes to action movies.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 05:24
The 2007 Elizabeth golden age was difficult to watch, Blanchett looked ridiculous in full armor on a charger making some grand speech to motivate the troops.  Looked like something out of Lord of the Rings.  (difference being LotR's were great)
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 07:42
Count Belisarius, 300 was not an historical movie, it was based on a comic book. I have told you this in another thread. Please note that other have also told you this. I would agree that Elizabeth: Golden Age was up there with inaccurate movies, they couldn't decide if the wanted her to be a lesbian or straight in that movie, coupled with the fact that it was horrible. Just a bad movie over all.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 08:52
Originally posted by es_bih

It was based on a comic; not actual history. And when taken out of context, and seen as a movie it was not that bad when it comes to action movies.

And 100% homosexual.  Which might have actually been quite accurate.

It's based on a comic that's based on history, so why dress it up and say it's not based on history, when it clearly is, via proxy? Either way, it was complete crap!

Braveheart was another one.  William Wallace wasn't very good, never shagged a French princess and generally didn't get stuff done anywhere near as good as Robert the Bruce.
Know thyself
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 11:28
That Costner film about JFK..

Or 'In the name of the Father'...

Or Pearl Harbour...

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 20:30
I thought "In the name of the Father" was a really good movie.

I agree with the two other movies you mentioned Dolphin, absolute crap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>