Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games
    Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 12:18
In less than a hour will begin the Olympic Games, the opening ceremony can be a wonderful spectacle never seen before and i hope that the entire games become the best in the history. Only can give congratulations to the chinese people (our fellows included Cheers ) because their effort and improvements they have done in past years. Good luck!!

Edited by Ikki - 08-Aug-2008 at 17:15
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 14:40
A thread dedicated to the games is a good idea and this one should serve that purpose just fine. You do know that this will turn into the daily King Kang editorial section once he see's this thread. Still, we can post results, get involved in heated discussions over the scoring system in gymnastics and show our obligatory goodwill to the Chinese Olympic hosts. This-post-of-yours-made-no-sense-at-all,-and-I-think-you-are-an-idiot,-but-I-am-so-not-going-to-drop-down-to-your-level-and-admit-it-to-your-face 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 15:29
It's not just a question of the scoring system in gymnastics, it's whether gymnastics should be in there at all. Might as well have ballet (and I'm a balletomane).
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 15:34
Just hope the air pollution doesn't affect too many athletes,

Chinese figures put them at tolerable (just) level. Other independent readings put them way over the danger mark.

Worrying
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 17:19
What an opening ceremony. My word what a spectacle. Its China's time, and I hope everybody else is generous enough to remember that.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 17:19
The best torch lighting ever!

Al-Jassas
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 18:38
A bit like 1936, where i wasn't aboard, to take the wind out of your's sails.

Too bomabstic. Too finical.
If chairman Mao could have seen this, he would turn over in his grave.
Let's watch how it will go on....

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 19:35
What was Nazi about it Ulrich. Was it the "hope for harmony" or the pictures of the people of the world. Wait, wait it must have been that boy who saved some eathquake victims.

jeez!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 19:43
that Iranian flag-bearer, Mullahs: Islam is in danger!

Tehran, 8 August (AKI) - Iranian religious figures have criticised that Olympic female rower Homa Hosseini was chosen as the flagbearer of Iran, calling the move a 'heresy'.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 08-Aug-2008 at 20:44
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 20:01
Originally posted by Sparten

Wait, wait it must have been that boy who saved some eathquake victims.

jeez!

That was very emotive, the giant sporter with that giant person, the children.

Pakistan received a great ovation from the public Wink
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 20:09
Originally posted by Sparten

What was Nazi about it Ulrich. Was it the "hope for harmony" or the pictures of the people of the world. Wait, wait it must have been that boy who saved some eathquake victims.

jeez!

A totalitarian regime tries to hocus the world. That was my comparison.
Here like there the world is led up the garden path.
Some doters of the IOC do a common thing with murders and rapscallions. A very interessting mixture,indeed...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 20:11
Be good neighbours! Anyway, this must be our worst team ever, no boxers and we have a snowballs chance in hell in Hockey.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 20:12
Great, great and great

Edited by Ikki - 08-Aug-2008 at 20:24
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 21:32
Originally posted by Seko

A thread dedicated to the games is a good idea and this one should serve that purpose just fine. You do know that this will turn into the daily King Kang editorial section once he see's this thread. Still, we can post results, get involved in heated discussions over the scoring system in gymnastics and show our obligatory goodwill to the Chinese Olympic hosts. This-post-of-yours-made-no-sense-at-all,-and-I-think-you-are-an-idiot,-but-I-am-so-not-going-to-drop-down-to-your-level-and-admit-it-to-your-face 

Was that a bait or were you just picking on me?Big%20smile  It worked like bacon to Homer Simpson.LOL http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=714-Ioa4XQw

There is no way I can even try to follow or comment on every event like I did in Euro 08, so no worries. 

Events and teams, I will try to follow;  Football(of course), Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, Hockey, Handball, Boxing, Taekwondo, Judo, Archery, Swimming, and maybe some gymnasitcs......  Wow that's a lot, actually. 

But once again I can't follow every match or team even in the sports that I'm interested.  I will try to follow the Korean athletes as much as the coverage here in U.S. and my schedule will allow me to.  Excited about U.S. Men's Basketball of course.  Spain, Germany, China also.  Hmmm they are all in the same group.  Tough luck for China and good for Argentina.  (EDIT, I can't believe France and China didn't make it)   Also excited North Korean Women's Football team who are in the same group with Germany, Brazil and Nigeria, ouch.Ouch

Well, let the games begin!

P.S.  Sparten, Pakistan doesn't have a good Hockey team this year?  From what I can remember they usually have a strong team.   South Korean Women's team is descent I think. 

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 09-Aug-2008 at 10:02
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 21:49

For the summer olympics its all about swimming.  Have to see how phelps does, though it won't be the same without the Thorpedo.  (I would always root for him even against americans)Embarrassed  I missed the opening ceremony, just not as interested this time around.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 04:47
its was brilliant at times, long winded and ho-hum in others.

I'd it took over 4 hours from start to finish, surely that is longer than before.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 05:43
That was fantastic. A historical event that will always been remembered in Chinese history and the history of the Communist Dynasty. From now on, China is top dog.
Originally posted by Ikki

Pakistan received a great ovation from the public

Indeed, I was very pleased with Pakistans great ovation from the Chinese crowd. Actually I made a list of all the countries that received big ovations (bear in mind the crowd is an international crowd, and not exclusively chinese)

The best ovations went to:
Pakistan
Cuba
Iraq
Iran
Great Britain
Venezuela
France
South Africa
Russia
USA
North Korea
Switzerland (the commentator suggested this was for Federa)
Italy
Mexico
Germany
Australia
Chinese Taipei (I was very pleased at this one)
Chinese Hong Kong
Singapore, and of course
China

I think that is a great list. Nice & mixed.

But lastly, Go Palestine!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 06:14
I am watching womens volleyball. Brazil v  Algeria. Whens
the swimmming?

King Kang, Pakistan team is horrid now. But even when we were good we always lost to S Korea. In '94 we won the world cup and champions trophy, and in both we lost to S Korea. Not mention the Olympic Semi Final in 2000.

Leo; Sydney was 4 hours as well. Parade of nations takes too long. I think they should end the all athelets march and replace it with just the flags bearer marching.

Edited by Sparten - 09-Aug-2008 at 06:16
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 06:42

Btw, the Icelandic Team counts 51 athlets, wheras the handball-team is the most promising.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 09-Aug-2008 at 06:43

Pierrewatteau View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pierrewatteau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 09:50
I have to say, this Olympic Games opening ceremony has to be the most sumptuous opening ceremony that has ever presented.  In my view it is astonishingly beautiful (the art and set decoration and costume); artistically, it is almost perfection (its technical aspect) and exquisitely done (look at the details of these clothing!).  It is just a wonderful representation of this culture and the culture's artistic heritage. 

Edited by Pierrewatteau - 09-Aug-2008 at 09:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>