Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need advice about martial arts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice about martial arts
    Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 22:48

I'm actually envying you. I really would like to try it by myself, but there are no sanda clubs in my area. Smile

Σαυρομάτης
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 04:52
Originally posted by Sarmat

No, it's not practical.

Don't tell me we're going to have this debate again...Wink
Depends a lot on whether YOU'RE practical, mate.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 13:19

Well, the question was whether the specific MA is practical (presumably, compare to other MAs, right?) for real fighting.

So, I repeat, traditional Taekwondo is in the bottom on the list of MAs applicable to actual fighting situations.

Of course, a lot of things depend on a particular situation, but on the average, I do think my answer was accurate. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 16:47
On average, you're quite correct...if I wanted to learn as fast and efficiently as possible to fight, I'd probably just take boxing, not Tae Kwan Do. Even better, Krav Maga or some other military system.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 22:18
Krav is super good;but you cant practice enough;for example you cant stab a person on the neck during the training. But in boxing;you can punch a sandbag,or even a real person. But seriously,stay away from taekwondo;its the most useless one. Most fights end up with an awkward wrestling so kicking is not enough. I advise you to consider jujutsu;I would go for that one if I could find one near me.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 22:33

Good observation Batu. I'm also sceptical about Krav-maga. Lack of sparring means a lot. And, honestly, it's very difficult if not impossible to use Krav-maga technique in a real life situation, unless you could practice it before.

I'm also kind of sceptical about the applicability of BJJ on the street. It could be indeed very helpful in one on one situation. But what if you're confronted by two and more opponents? Going to the ground with one of them could be fatal, the other guy will just kick you when you're doing the ground work.

I would prefer to know how to keep balance and avoid takedowns in the street fight, unless there is one opponent and terrain is "friendly" for the "par terre" wrestling. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 00:07
Originally posted by Sarmat

I would prefer to know how to keep balance and avoid takedowns in the street fight, unless there is one opponent and terrain is "friendly" for the "par terre" wrestling. Smile

Both lessons which, I've noticed, often are taught by less combative arts. It's amazing how fixated many less practical methods are on keeping your balance and your center low.

Even if there was one opponent, it's not always practical to go to ground if you can just stay upright and ready. In general, grappling or locking is more awkward and often more difficult than just keeping your hands up, moving, and wearing them down. And size means a lot more when grappling than it does in a kickboxing match.

Krav-Maga is actually pretty good--most military arts are, although I do prefer the idea of just understanding the basics of balance, mobility, and precision before messing around with more complex techniques.

@Batu: I hear you about kicks--but since they have much more power and reach than a hand strike, they're good if the opponent is distracted, disoriented, or (even better) clutching at their broken nose or other injury. A kick is best used to either keep your opponent at a distance, strike to the kneecap or shin as a deterrent, and as--shall we say---a "finishing move." Don't discount kicks--just accept that you have to pick the right situation to use them.

dadan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote dadan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2009 at 18:51
for me, brasilian capoeira is good sport... i wish this was more like a true chat area....is there somewhere where everyone meets in real time??

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456