Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will there be another Star Trek TV show?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will there be another Star Trek TV show?
    Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 23:03
Does anyone know if there will be another Star Trek TV show anytime soon?. Please reply

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 02:58
I seriously doubt it - because of the failure of Star Trek: Enterprise (Which I actually thought was quite good - the problem was that they didn't use the existing canon for the period which had loads of potential), paramount are making a new feature film about the earliest days of captain Kirk's command on the first USS Enterprise NCC-1701. I'm not really sure that another TV series would be that popular though - although they are a laugh, they are all quite formulaic, and the massive burst of three series (TNG, DS9 and Voyager) and the TNG and Enterprise E era films (Insurrection, Generations, First contact) all took place in the '90s, and I think people may have had enough. There's about 800 episodes altogether of the franchise, excluding movies, so really I think it's gradually withering away.

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 03-Aug-2008 at 02:59
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 03:25
I hope not.

The original, 50 years old, is pretty good. Everything after that dreadful.

It's simply narration turned into dialogue.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 03:42
The original series was STUPID!! and thats my complete and unbiased opinion. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 04:58
Why was it stupid? How is your opinion unbiased exactly? It was quite good for the time and broke a lot of boundaries, which is more significant than a few special effects. Female (Uhura) of considerable rank and command on a ship, a multi-ethnic cast and crew, interracial romantic scene, what more could you ask of a show that ran for a few years.
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 16:49
Eventually they will come up with something in regards to another Star Trek TV series because they are all able to draw in the trekkie crowd and even if they are not making top ratings, so long as they garner a good rating on cable, which is only about a 3 share, it is good enough to make money on. What made most of them up until lately bigger money makers was that they were syndicated rather than relegated to a cable channel. Local TV stations promote the shows enough to gather in a good audience each week, something the cable channels do not do as well because they don't have the constant local draw for news, sports, and other programming that draws people to the station. And believe it or not, you still have a fair percentage of people who do not have cable and use either an outdoor antenna or an in door antenna (rabbit ears) to watch local TV, as they are not interested in paying cable companies a lot of money for a lot of programs they will never watch.

I would not doubt that Majel Barrett (Mrs Roddenberry and Nurse Chapel on the original series) will continue to produce Star Trek TV shows until she is no longer capable of doing so, and even then she may turn it over to a trust to continue the legacy the Gene Roddenberry started which Majel has said she will perpetuate for as long as she can.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 18:35
If God truly loves his children on Earth there will be no more Star Trek

Says a Star Wars Fan
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 00:08
Star was silly. And Luke was a wimp.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 14:36
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

the failure of Star Trek: Enterprise (Which I actually thought was quite good - the problem was that they didn't use the existing canon for the period which had loads of potential), 

exactly my sentiments. the problem with both Voyager and Enterprise was that both had Vulkans who aren't like Vulkans (read: Spock). but that was not the only reason but the cast in both cases was a major reason of failure. DS9 worked well because it was pretty different from the previous Star Trek shows in many regards, however Voyager was just a weak copy of the original & TNG. and what happened to all those kick-ass clouds & energy lifeforms?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:38
Those energy lifeforms and clouds were SOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! incredibly LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:44
I seriously hope there won't be a new one... 
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:45
they were original, what we saw in recent years was a flood of the same old humanoid aliens just with different make-up & masks, that was lame...
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 22:03
The Cardassians were prtetty cool, now the Bajorans WERE lame. You know, they could make a show were the Borg declare war on all unassimilated lifeforms. 

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 00:22
the Borg underwent a serious change since the first appearance in TNG and the last encounter in Voyager. in TNG they appeared as some sort of mystical superior race of cyborgs whose massive ships even huge fleets can't stop. the last time we saw them on Voyager they were some sort of dumb man-toasters that could easily be outmanouvred and destroyed by a witty starfleet captain commanding a mediocre ship isolated from its homebase.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 00:39
I know, that was sort of irritating, can't they be consistent?.

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 01:36

I think despite all of the canon and cast, there has to be a fundamental change from just a ship, a crew and people exploring the galaxy to keep people interested. A really good setting for a show would be star fleet command or star fleet academy.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 07:43
I would rather see a Star Wars tv show. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 15:24
Star wars is lame, and the character worth watching is yoda.

Pistolero View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pistolero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 07:17
I'm well aware that this is a fairly old thread, but I'm a Star Trek fan (mostly of Next Generation and the Original Series), and I must speak my mind here. I wouldn't mind a new Star Trek series, I know Enterprise was quite unpopular, even with Trekkies, but there is still potential in a new Star Trek TV series, especially after the released of the critically well accepted Star Trek film (the new one).

If they do another series, I'd want it to be mostly like TNG, to be honest. I suppose it's the one I actually grew up watching (well, I was born shortly after the first two or three seasons), so I'm sort of biased for it, but we need another Captain like Picard, with Solomon-esque wisdom, and understanding for his crew. Maybe that's what Star Trek fans are looking for in a new TV series?
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth!"

-Captain Jean-Luc Picard
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2011 at 00:15
Parents shouldn't allow their ten year-olds near the computer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>